Intel Mac Mini

Guest oohh

5 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the new Intel Mac Mini and I will like to know if anybody has heard something about it's release date/spects.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of the very first minis (1.42 and all the options) and it's been a great virtual D-VHS firewire recorder--much more stable than my HTPC using just the Apple SDK aps and iRecord. It'll be interesting to see if the new Intel minis are powerful enough for soft playback of HD MPEG-2 transport streams. My mini drops all kinds of frames during soft playback of HD but the new minis should be powerful enough to handle it. Better graphics acceleration would help too.

Right now, I record with the mini and playback with my HTPC, JVC DH-30000 D-VHS deck, or my Samsung decoders. If I playback with my HTPC, it's possible to do "live pause," Tivo-style on HDTV files (play a file as it's being recorded). VLC or the Nero DirectShow splitter have the best transport stream parsers on the PC for this. An external USB drive on the mini actually works better for this than the internal 80G notebook drive.

If they have an x1300 or better (as opposed to onboard...but I suspect 945GM is cheaper for graphics), the GPUs themselves support HD decoding.

No real ideas or rumours on them now, though. Who knows if they'll have a Duo or Solo, integrated/onboard GPU, etc., at this point. But, if they want the same price point as last time, something like a Solo+GMA950 sounds like the best bet. :(