[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

Ok, I am running pretty good now, but when I open "About this mac" it shows only a Core 2 Solo. From the guide, i know that this text can be edited, but does anyone know if the OS is operating on all 4 cores of my Core 2 quad?

Thank you all for the help! This has been really fun to try!

Ok, I am running pretty good now, but when I open "About this mac" it shows only a Core 2 Solo. From the guide, i know that this text can be edited, but does anyone know if the OS is operating on all 4 cores of my Core 2 quad?

If you click on the "more info" button at the bottom of the about this mac window you should see total number of processors and total number of cores.

I am not sure this was the most appropriate place to put this Q:. you may want to read the forum guidelines and also do lots of reading/searching.

Hope this helps.

the exact name is slipping from me (different name on all os) but run a search for "activity monitor" or something monitor, perhaps system monitor? either way, it will show all cores and the usage of each, amongst other things.

edit: ooops, run the serch in spotlight.. it is built into the system

• 2 weeks later...

Mtotho and others, thanks again for this thread again, i keep coming back to it as it always helps:

Am I going nuts or wasn't there an image kalyway 10.5.3 iso in 1 full DVD? it seems to have completely been vanished from bays? or am i just imagining that there was 10.5.3?

Please clarify.

I am trying to get a cheap p5d2 VMSE. It is a cheap motherboard and I can't seem to find much information on setting it correctly, it keeps giving me error "still waiting for root device"

I know my 2nd question is not properly placed, but any comments or help related questions will be good help. thanks.

Mtotho and others, thanks again for this thread again, i keep coming back to it as it always helps:

Am I going nuts or wasn't there an image kalyway 10.5.3 iso in 1 full DVD? it seems to have completely been vanished from bays? or am i just imagining that there was 10.5.3?

I don't think there is a 10.5.3 kalyway disk, but I could be wrong.

Thanks dci,

If i were to go about finding what settings I could use for a specific motherboard (ASUS p5vd2 vmse) then where on this forum would be the best place to check it out?

I have done google and general searches here on the forum, but not much luck with configuration tips.

Thanks dci,

If i were to go about finding what settings I could use for a specific motherboard (ASUS p5vd2 vmse) then where on this forum would be the best place to check it out?

I have done google and general searches here on the forum, but not much luck with configuration tips.

If you really want to get OSX86 running, my advice would be to buy a motherboard that someone else has already figured out. It's a pain (and it costs money) to go out and get a new mb, but in the end the time you save will be your own.

There do seem to be some users of your board (I searched using Google using this phrase: "p5vd2 vm se site:insanelymac.com") so you're not the only one on that board. You can also try searching on similar motherboard models from Asus.

I struggled for quite a while on a Foxconn motherboard, just because I had it hanging around. In the end, perhaps I could've gotten it to work, but hours later and 10 re-installs of kalyway, my time would've been better spent buying a different board. You do learn stuff in the process, but it's not necessariliy stuff that will help you down the road.

Thanks dci. Good advise. it's a pain buying the 2 famous boards (p5w and gigabyte) since I am in Asia and have to order them from US, even though they are not that expensive. but I am guessing and hoping that more better quality motherboards should be able to support osx leopard soon.

Actually I am already experimenting with osx on my ASUS p5kc motherboard and sometimes it's ok, sometimes not. 10.5.2 was best, since i could even use i life, but 10.5.3 screwed that up and 10.5.4 seems to be generating more problems, so I want to move this experiment to my cheap asus motherboard (p5vd2 vmse) so to free p5kc for xp and vista ubuntu. though p5kc is about and year and half old as well.

anyway, thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks DCI and mtotho. I could not get my asus p5vd2 vm se to work, so I by

chance got the right motherboard (EP-P35-DS3L) as I went looking for an ASUS and only realized just now that this motherboard or earlier version of this motherboard has been extensively covered here by mtotho. So far I have not been successful in installing OSX on it, so some guidance is much appreciated.

1)Firstly, which version is better? kalyway or leo4all. I am trying to install both, but always something does not add up. is leo4all by the same guy and more new? Somehow leo4all seems more complete and new, but a lot less successful.

2)mtotho, you say AHCI should work now, I have downloaded your kexts, but where and how should i install them? should I find the old versions of these kexts and replace them with new and then burn that image to a DVD? or should i just install them, once I have a working hackintosh up? i guess i can only modify the installation disk, once I have a working hacintosh, since on a windows pc the iso image does not show individual files, so to be replaceable.

3) with AHCI selected to enabled in bios, disks won't boot from Dvd RW, and all drives will not be recognized, (primary, secondary), i must reset bios to factory default. So I can only choose the 2nd option below AHCi enabled, which is something like 0 SATA ahci native (enabled). So should these be the correct settings or cause for concern?

4) I have forgotten most and which settings I should choose before going ahead with the install, so will really appreciate if you can kindly let me know which settings you used for this MB, I mean the settings, like choosing which kernel, choosing video card driver, etc. etc...

I am only using 1 160gb sata hd and 1 x dvdrw sata.

thanks for any help dudes.

Thanks DCI and mtotho. I could not get my asus p5vd2 vm se to work, so I by

chance got the right motherboard (EP-P35-DS3L) as I went looking for an ASUS and only realized just now that this motherboard or earlier version of this motherboard has been extensively covered here by mtotho. So far I have not been successful in installing OSX on it, so some guidance is much appreciated.

1)Firstly, which version is better? kalyway or leo4all. I am trying to install both, but always something does not add up. is leo4all by the same guy and more new? Somehow leo4all seems more complete and new, but a lot less successful.

2)mtotho, you say AHCI should work now, I have downloaded your kexts, but where and how should i install them? should I find the old versions of these kexts and replace them with new and then burn that image to a DVD? or should i just install them, once I have a working hackintosh up? i guess i can only modify the installation disk, once I have a working hacintosh, since on a windows pc the iso image does not show individual files, so to be replaceable.

3) with AHCI selected to enabled in bios, disks won't boot from Dvd RW, and all drives will not be recognized, (primary, secondary), i must reset bios to factory default. So I can only choose the 2nd option below AHCi enabled, which is something like 0 SATA ahci native (enabled). So should these be the correct settings or cause for concern?

4) I have forgotten most and which settings I should choose before going ahead with the install, so will really appreciate if you can kindly let me know which settings you used for this MB, I mean the settings, like choosing which kernel, choosing video card driver, etc. etc...

I am only using 1 160gb sata hd and 1 x dvdrw sata.

thanks for any help dudes.

Mtotho's guide is great, but he's no longer actively on the boards, and he doesn't cover updates up until 10.5.4. You should consider using this guide now: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708. It's starts with the kalyway 10.5.2 disk and goes from there. Alternatively, you can try the "retail" Leopard install for the GA-P35-DS3L board discuss in another thread in this forum.

Thanks dci693. Weaksauce is referring to your guide, so i guess you must have the most experience using this board.and then there is the retail thing, which is totally new for me, seems I will have to shell out some more money to get an external harddisk, as per eclau's suggestion, this cheap hackintosh is not coming so cheap now, so eventually, i might have to go back to using p5kc for hackintosh and ep35 for windows. it's a shame, seems both of these boards come out almost at the same time and both are good boards, but results are not promising for most hacks.

• 3 weeks later...
I try to update with the guide for 10.5.2 -10.5.3-10.5.4

But I have a Kernel Panic

see the picture here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...id=908744

Help me please...

I solved...

I delete AppleIntelCPU.....kext

And After delete all Video kext.

After this two step, I'm on Kalyway 10.5.4 -> 10.5.5

Bye bye.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all...

I hope someone reply.

I uninstall my Realtek 8187 wireless driver.

I try to install the Asus WL-138G V2 because is like Airport.

But After i install this PKG catch in Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD:

AirportUtility_Leopard_AirportUtility_Leopard.pkg

IO80211Family.pkg

wifi_Broadcom_airport_Broadcom.pkg

Wireless.Support.pkg

The airport is not detected, and If I set EN4 like airport and set my router config, the Connection is very very very slow. And Airport icon is still OFF-

Can you Help ME PLEASE!!!!!!

bye

Solved...

I delete the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preference.plsit

After relaunch the Script

cd /Broadcom-Script

sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh

And I reboot

At the start I Have Airport.

Only thing I remove the Wireless 8187L Antenna, because interferences lose the connection in Airport.

Now run like a charm.

Bye.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although this guide was written mainly for asus p5w dh deluxe, it would be wise, if planning on getting a new mobo for hackintosh, to get a later motherboard that is well supported with hackintosh. The gigabyte p35 series are good. Asus p5w is just too old if u are planning on having a computer for a few years.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have literally read every single post in this thread and cannot install OSX.

If someone could help me that would be great, I can pay you via paypal or something for the trouble if you want too.

But here are my specs:

• ASUS P5W DH Deluxe or P5K Deluxe AP WiFi (let me know which is more compatible, I currently have the P5W in)
  • Pentium 4 3.6 GHz
  • Two 80GB SATA HDD's on sata ports 1 and 2
  • One sata DVD drive on sata port 4 (it skips to port 4?!, there is no 3)
  • ATI X1550
  • BIOS rev. 2902

In the end I am trying to get to 10.5.7.

I have basically every distro there is, but recently have been trying the Kalaway 10.5.1 disk. I have done basically everything I can find and the best I can get is for it to install, and then boot with the kernal panic screen, or say the boot.plist or whatever is not found.

If you can please guide me through the steps that would be great, and like I said, I will give you some money via paypal, or send you whichever motherboard I don't use if you would like.

Thanks,

Tim

• 4 years later...

I have literally read every single post in this thread and cannot install OSX.

If someone could help me that would be great, I can pay you via paypal or something for the trouble if you want too.

But here are my specs:

• ASUS P5W DH Deluxe or P5K Deluxe AP WiFi (let me know which is more compatible, I currently have the P5W in)
  • Pentium 4 3.6 GHz
  • Two 80GB SATA HDD's on sata ports 1 and 2
  • One sata DVD drive on sata port 4 (it skips to port 4?!, there is no 3)
  • ATI X1550
  • BIOS rev. 2902
In the end I am trying to get to 10.5.7.

I have basically every distro there is, but recently have been trying the Kalaway 10.5.1 disk. I have done basically everything I can find and the best I can get is for it to install, and then boot with the kernal panic screen, or say the boot.plist or whatever is not found.

If you can please guide me through the steps that would be great, and like I said, I will give you some money via paypal, or send you whichever motherboard I don't use if you would like.

Thanks,

Tim

The distros are probably your problem.  I have used this same board with a near vanilla install and it ran perfectly!   Try this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/68453-asus-p5w-dh-deluxe-thread-for-105x-leo-109x-mavericks/page-74

Good luck!