[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

Ok. to address some issues.

@AHCI issue: With all ICH9 motherboards.. With AHCI enabled only the first 2 sata ports work(in leopard). As far as i know, there is not a fix.. but is being worked on. I have tested both with AHCI and without and have noticed only slight performace gains. Although in the bios it takes long, AHCI does load leopard faster.. and some may say it runs only ever so slightly smoother. I personally use it without AHCI and i find no problems whatsoever.

@Onboard Lan issue: The Realtek Drivers aswell as the RtlR1000 driver from this site are not meant to address the 8111B driver and leopard. Leopard already works with this device. I myself have had issues with it.. but were mainly cause by other things. Basically to fix it i finagled with it.. doing various things such as; unplug+replug, restart, disconnect power to mobo for an hour (helps hard rest the NIC adapter), set wake on lan in window(only for dual boot), reset router, setting manual DHCP then setting back to automatic.

Some where along the line of doing these things repeatedly it started working. It in fact started working after Unplugging the ethernet cable for 10 seconds and replugging it.

@IDE DVD drive: I was unsuccesful with 2 different drive. Other claim it to work so i just put it as it works.

I have an update to the ~3.5 GB Ram issue.

I have 3 drives so naturally I was running in IDE mode so I could use them all. Well, in trying to figure out the Kernel Panic over 3.5 memory issue, I enabled AHCI and ran memtest. It usually fails within a minute or less. This time it completed the entire test which took over 30 minutes. I would say that is a fix. Now the problem remains that there is no support for all 4 ports in AHCI mode. I have no problem running in IDE mode as long as it doesnt cause kernel panics or i have to limit my ram.

mtotho: maybe you should give this a try and see if you dont get kernel panics, then hopefully a patch will be released soon for AHCI

... this also leads me to believe that the kext that loads with kalyway may be the culprit in the kernel panics... maybe we can try and fix the problem with that kext instead of going the AHCI route.

Thanks for the great guide. I got my same setup, w/ 2x2 Gigs DDR RAM working so far but the built in ethernet driver allows me to browse the internet perfectly, gets a proper IP address via DHCP, but does not see other computers on the network reliably.

I seem to see them transiently, then when I click on them I get "unable to connect" - then the Shared items section shows nothing (ie its gone). The rest of the network is connected via an Airport Extreme N GigE router to 3 other real macs (Mac Pro, Macbook, Mac Mini) plus a ReadyNAS and a media center PC plus a VAIO notebook. On the other Macs, the hackintosh shows up by name but can't connect either. Basically it looks like it gets flakey and intermittent access to the local network (but no Windows shares or ReadyNAS).

So, in summary I get everything except shutdown (as expected) and LAN connection to the local network (the internet works PERFECTLY and STABLY as I'm posting this note from the hackintosh).

Suggestions? I've tried unplugging, replugging, reseting the router, manual DHCP, powering off, installing the pkg per clv101's notes (installing, uninstalling and reinstalling) all to no avail.

- Steve

Did you try Realtek's official Mac drivers? Worked for me... linked to in the link in my sig.

Yes I did try those drivers and no go. Actually those were the first ones I tried. Oh well, the Realtek 8139 pci lan card works quite well. No drivers to install.:)

Chevy

Hi there folks. My system is relativly close enough to you guys. Still i can't get kalyway to boot up into the installation screen. Try those kernel switches like: -v, -s, -f, -x, -cpus=1, -legacy, but the farthest i got with kalyway is that gray loading screen with the Apple and then, just before it hangs, a square thingie (like a forbidden sign).

Check the screens.

Photo-0666.jpg

Photo-0667.jpg

What could be causing that, and how can i bypass it.

I disabled the appropriate stuff in my bios. Had bios F4 previously, but updated it to F11 recently. (just to be up to date, the error was there too with F4)

Here's my system:

Operating System............Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate

CPU Type.........................QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @stock speed (rev. G0)

Motherboard..............Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

MB Chipset..........Intel Bearlake P35

System Memory............2029 MB (G.E.I.L DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

Video card......................eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB) Overklokte editie

Monitor............................Samsung SyncMaster 205BW (Digital) [20" LCD]

Sound....................Realtek ALC885/889A @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Hard Disk.....................SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Optical Drive...............TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203D ATA Device (that's sata right??)

Partitions

C: (NTFS) 409599 MB (164655 MB free) (windows vista partition)

-- 67335 MB (67244 MB free) (partition for os x, unallocated.)

Keyboard.....................PS/2 Keyboard ( logitech basic media kbd. ps/2)

Mouse................................Logitech mx revolution

Network....................Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

DMI BIOS ...............Award Software International, Inc.

DMI BIOS Version...............F11

Case................................Antec Sonata III

@ Weshie. That is the same exact screen i get when i use my P-Ata(Pata) optical drives AKA (incorrectly) IDE DVD drive. I do not know if that DVD drive is Pata, but it may very well be. Open your case and check it out. S-Ata is smaller.. and P-ata resembles more of a Ribbon.

@Steves LAN issues. Did you try "connect as" and put in the username and password (if they have one) in the fields? It will not connect with out this. You can also try changing sharing preferences (System preferences--->Sharing). Alternatively, you can manually connect to ones computer "GO--->Connect to server" option.

Thank you so much for this guide. I use a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 and this is the first time in at least a week that I have gotten kalyway to work. I was ready to give up tonight when I stumbled upon this guide, and your help made me feel better than I have all week.

mtotho: i checked, my dvd drive is definitly sata. (as is my harddrive).

tomtauty: that's nice dude! what configuration do you got going? (except the same mobo as me). I always get that nasty "still waiting for root device".

I'm lost :)

Here's how i go about intalling leopard. Maybe there's something i do wrong.

* first, in Vista, i open Disk Managment and choose the partition i'm going to designate for osx and delete it. I leave it unallocated.

* then i open diskpart with admin priviliges and i set that partition as active (select disk 0, create partition primary id=af, select partition 2, active, exit are the commands i enter consecutivly (sp?))

* then i insert the leopard dvd and reboot

* f8, -v

* at this point kalyway either "waits for root devices" or shows me that grey screen with the logo and the square error

* iatkosv1.0ir2 though, allows me to install osx flawlessly (appearantly), but then there's the reboot, and i'm back to the " wait for the godforsaken root devices".

* also at this point partition table or bootsector or whatnot is messed up. Cause when i reboot with leopard and F8 and then enter -s, in order to set my vista partition active again (command: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0), i cant. I get this message:"The signature for this MBR is invalid. Would you like to initialize the partition table?"

* so in order for me to be able to get back into vista, i need to use this "Hiren's boot disk" which got this "Magic Boot" program to put my vista partition back on the map, and then i have to reboot with vista's cd, to restore windows (without magic boot, vista aint even visible).

So that's my little adventure in hackintoshland. Not withouth bumps.

Only bumps actually :D

But i was still able to get back to my precious vista partition so that's a good thing.

Still i'd like to experience Leopard. Any extra suggestions are welcome ;) Thanks!

@ weshie. Well let met start off by saying this. You do not need to format the leopard partition with the whole 'id=af' I just use hirens boot cd to boot into Acronis partition manager and i make a Fat32 partition for leopard @ whatever size it needs to be. I then set that partition active and put in Kalyways disk and it loads no problem. Formated as fat32 or not, it should not make a difference at booting the disc. The fact that iAtkos boots into install disc is a good sign... Are you sure you use the recommended settings in the bios? ie Sata mode = Native. etc.

Im sorry if you already told me this, but what are your complete specs.

Allright, I'll try the Acronis way and skip the id=af thing. I did set those bios settings, but i will double check them.

A question: did anyone get Kalyway (or iAtkos for that matter) working with a ps2 keyboard + usb mouse combination? It would suck if that is what's holding me back.

Here are my specs:

Operating System............Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate

CPU Type........................QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @stock speed (rev. G0)

Motherboard...................Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

MB Chipset.....................Intel Bearlake P35

System Memory...............2029 MB (G.E.I.L DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

Video card.......................eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB) Overklokte editie

Monitor...........................Samsung SyncMaster 205BW (Digital) [20" LCD]

Sound.............................Realtek ALC885/889A @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Hard Disk........................SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Optical Drive...................TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203D ATA Device (sata)

Partitions

C: (NTFS) 409599 MB (164655 MB free) (windows vista partition)

-- 67335 MB (67244 MB free) (partition for os x, unallocated.)

Keyboard.....................PS/2 Keyboard ( logitech basic media kbd. ps/2)

Mouse..........................Logitech mx revolution

Network........................Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

DMI BIOS ....................Award Software International, Inc.

DMI BIOS Version........F11

Case............................Antec Sonata III

Allright, I'll try the Acronis way and skip the id=af thing. I did set those bios settings, but i will double check them.

A question: did anyone get Kalyway (or iAtkos for that matter) working with a ps2 keyboard + usb mouse combination? It would suck if that is what's holding me back.

That is what I use for my input devices at the moment so it worked here.

I'm pretty sure you need to use only usb devices, ie: keyboard and mouse. Even in Tiger, if I can think back to the beginning, I had issues if I used my PS2 keyboard. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't boot (waiting for root device). Get yourself a USB keyboard. Microsoft make a decent USB keyboard, Comfort Curve 2000. It's pretty cheap and there are OSX drivers for it so you can use all the functions.

Chevy

@clv101, i was gonna start out by saying that, yes i get kernel panics with high ram usage.. and is why i posted that in known issues because i know it happens to others.. then i realized you read on in the thread and found Maxmem. You may be able to raise that above 3gb but i am in no position to test it out. Of course you may already know (and i posted it in the guide) that enabling AHCI solves this problem (bringing on more problems in 2+ sata configs)

DarkXmatt, am i missing something?

nope, no luck. MDB method does not work for me

Do you mean something else by MDB? MBR maybe. What are your specs, maybe we can help you out,

mtotho, quick question :lol: My mobo does not have AHCI, and I keep getting these kernel panics, which I think are mem related. I was thinking about getting GA DS4 mobo. Does AHCI completely solve that problem? Also as I understood, you are loosing everything that's not jMicron in that case? Thanks.

well problems with 4gb of ram (idk about 8gb of ram) in dual channel do seem to be solved with AHCI enabled. AHCI does however run into problem with leopard and the ICH9 chipset which the DS3L has.. and your motherboard has it too. I read on a thread that the first 2 sata ports and the last 2 (or split up in some way on boards with more ports) run on different AHCI controllers, the first of which is the only one that seems to be detected in leopard. It is unclear to me whether P-Ata drives work with AHCI enabled, i do not use any.