[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

I have a GA-P35-DS3 and when installation goes fine and when bootloader is successfully installed..

However when I boot up then I get a glimpse of macos booting and then it reboots!

Endless rebooting...

I have a 8800 GT in my machine I dont know if that has anything to do with it. At this point I dont know how to add the 10.5.2 kexts to KALYWAY...

Ideas anyone?

ok i put my cpu back to 2.4. I will see if stay stable. Also chevy, can you give me the configuration of your hardrives and how the partitions are formatted? i just want to test my theory of somthing.

@deadhead, I really dont know whats going on. Anything i tell you will just be based on speculation. I know it works for this motherboard.. you may just want to post outside this topic.

@clv, where is that blinking cursor? does mac os even begin to load? Do you get the bootloader? do you not even make it to the bootloader. Again i have no experience with this board, you may want to post outside this topic.

Edit: wasnt my overclock that gave me panics. I heard that having NTFS partitions mounted causes an issue. I unmounted them just to check. If that doesnt work than i suspect its the hardrive that im on right now thats causing issues

Is there any possible solution to the 4gb ram limit besides the maxmem=3456? I hate to waste ram. If not, is the 3456 the absolute upper limit of ram the system can take? I was getting kernel panics with handbrake before i set maxmem, and now things are smooth. I just want to minimize the amount of wasted ram if i can.

chevy, can you give me the configuration of your hardrives and how the partitions are formatted?

250gb WD2 partitions

60gb for OSX EFI GUID and the rest for data.

Both formatted as MAC OS EXTENDED (Journaled)

200GB Maxtor 1 partition Formatted as MAC OS EXTENDED (Journaled)

The install was "successful" (on a MBA partition) but when it comes to rebooting, nothing happens. Just a blinking cursor. I but the DVD in a USB enclosure and installed again and exactly the same happened.What's wrong? I think the install worked - there is now 5.7GB on the partition, I just need to make it boot! I checked the partition was GParted LiveCD and it does have the 'boot' flag set.

What install disc are you using? If it's Kalyway or iAtkos there should be no issues of Darwin not loading or booting OSX.

Chevy

i think maxmem at 3456 wasnt cutting it for me. I am not at my computer now but im am starting to think i will need to lower my max down. Im gonna try around 3gb next time. Ill update and tell what i find. Idk how to fix this problem.. it seems to be a problem with many boards not just ours. i heard it doesnt happen with other configurations of ram in dual channel. So say 8gb in dual channel would be fine... but im not about to invest in 2gb sticks.. all my sticks are 1gb

if i had $200 dollars to spend i would buy 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231122

then again if i had 200 dollars to spend i would buy a processor or something else for the 2 extra lga 775 mobos i have laying around.

My GA-P35C-DS3R is virtually the same as the GA-P35-DS3L, it the "C" just means it supports DDR3 as well.

The good news is it now boots just fine. I'm installed with GUID, it's recognising the whole 200GB of my drive rather than just the first 128GB. I think my problem might have been my partition name "Untitled 1" with a space. Changing the name to "Leopard" might have helped.

Anyway - installed with the nVidia drivers on Kalyway (I have a nVidia 7300GT) and everything's good.

The next task is Sound, LAN (which doesn't seem to have worked but OS X seems to see an Ethernet adaptor).

One other point, I tried to copy a file to a USB key and it didn't work - any ideas?

i have no problem with USB drives. I am not familiar with the sound and lan Card on the DS3R, they probably are not exactly the same, i will look into it in a bit.

Also setting my maxmem down to 3072 (exactly 3gb) seemed to stop kernel panics for me, i dont know if i can go higher but 3456 was too high i guess. i will edit post #1

Great thread guys, let's keep it up!

So i stumbled across this rather randomly, and have a few assets to put into play to build a dual-boot box. i've built a couple of Windows boxes before, but this would be a new dimension for me....but you guys are pretty inspiring so let's see what i can do here. =)

OK, so i have the DS3L Mobo

e2180 c2d processor (cheap, i know)

4x1gb DDR2-667 HP RAM (yeah, the cheapie 1.8V stuff) OR 2x1gb DDR2-1066 OCZ SLI-certified ram (2.1V)

Samsung 16x IDE DVD-R

eVGA 7600GT CO PCIe Video card OR Foxconn 8400GS PCIe Video Card

Antec p180B case

lots of Yate Loon fans

2 x 500gb WD5000AAKS Wester Digital SATA2 Hard Drives (i'd like one to boot XP and one to boot Leopard)

Any advice on whether this hardware will be compatible with this board, or do i need to get some new stuff?

i will read up a bit and see what i can find out, but i appreciate in advance any advice you all can give. =)

Cheers,

Paul

Also, any advice on LAN/FW cards would be helpful - LAN seems to be an issue so far, getting the on-board to work.

Hey guys,

I had an extra 2x2gb sticks of ram lying around... so i threw them into my machine and removed the maxmem restrictions to test for kernel panics. I ran the memory test on a program called highload, and ended up with a kernel panic. So I guess the ram problems are not only restricted to 4gb, but 8 as well. So it seems no matter what I do, I wont be able to utilize all my ram :P . I might play around with maxmem and 8gb to see at what point it will become stable.

@Skippy, there is always issues with timemachine... If i can ever get my motherboard started again im gonna just install leopard on it.. GUID map with AHCI enabled (wont need more than 2 sata ports) I will work on getting Time machine. Although before when i tried it on this board.. it was really laggy and crappy.. probably a fix but idk yet.

@isuck, Im pretty sure that board is pretty compatible. This tutorial is fairly General of all setups. Also, as long as you dont have the ICH9 Chipset, AHCI enabled shouldnt be an issue for you. good luck

i have followed the guide here only to be greeted by the apple logo and a message saying that I should restart my computer and I cannot get past this message.

any ideas?

my hardware is GA-P35-DS3L, Q6600, 8800GT, SATA HDD, IDE DVD.

not very far clv101. I put the dvd in the drive, boot from dvd, then there are 4 lines of text with the last one saying that darwin is loading and a sort of progress thing made out of slashes and then after two minutes I see this gray screen I mentioned above.

Hmmmm - does that mean with AHCI enabled that there is only room for one SATA optical drive and one hard drive? i was planning on having 2 SATA hard drives and an IDE DVD drive...but it sounds like it may be difficult to install that way.

I just installed and finished screwing around with this. I got my PC working.

I have restart / shutdown functionality, but sleep does the same thing as shutdown. Vanilla Kernel. Was able to play World of Warcraft and do other fun things :(

E6750 @ 3.2ghz

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

2gig OCZ Gold 5-5-5-12@ DDR800

EVGA 8800GT 512meg 680/2000/1700

7200.10 320gig Seagate

Ultra X-Connect2 550W

Thanks for the guide!

I just installed and finished screwing around with this. I got my PC working.

I have restart / shutdown functionality, but sleep does the same thing as shutdown. Vanilla Kernel. Was able to play World of Warcraft and do other fun things :P

E6750 @ 3.2ghz

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

2gig OCZ Gold 5-5-5-12@ DDR800

EVGA 8800GT 512meg 680/2000/1700

7200.10 320gig Seagate

Ultra X-Connect2 550W

Thanks for the guide!

What did you do to get your 8800GT working? Did you try use Punk92's installer? I have an XFX 8800GT 512mb and after using Punk92's nvidia installer V1.9 I get a black screen after rebooting. Any thoughts?

Everything works as described in the guide except my video card and my onboard LAN. I can't get onboard LAN to work. Anyone else know how to fix the onboard LAN?

e6750

GA-P35-DS3L

2gb crucial ballistix

xfx 8800gt 512mb