OSX 10.5.1 ""WELCOME LOOP" Help

cyberfool

50 posts in this topic

I tried the "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" but it gave me a directory not found, and it is the /db directory not there...

and it keep on saying something about my hdd is locked...

also my passwd root doesn't work too.. wtf .... i got the ghey

anyone can help ?

The important part is:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

passwd root

/sbin/mount -uw / >>> note a space between -uw and / this mounts the root "/" and unlocks it!

SticMAN

I tried the "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" but it gave me a directory not found, and it is the /db directory not there...

and it keep on saying something about my hdd is locked...

also my passwd root doesn't work too.. wtf .... i got the ghey

anyone can help ?

i think the easiest way is to type the following ... in the prompt where you would normally type -s, -x, etc.

"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

type that verbatim, including the quotation marks. this worked for me! I was stuck in the "Do You Already Own a Mac" part for a couple of days... tried disabling my network card, typing in those "/sbin" codes, nothing worked except the above. you might also wanna type in -x after the quotes to go into safe mode just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

My laptop Acer aspire 3680 (Kalyway 10.5.1) was giving me trouble from 2 days with this #### loop when I found this topic. I didn't found it before because the forum search engine is too bad :-(

The -x trick didn't work (I didn't went into any login screen)

The "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" trick didn't work (boot in low resol. then switch to high resol. at the welcome video)

But the trick given by inedible did WORK:

CODE:/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

So it was as simple as creating this .AppleSetupDone file

So good

Big thanks to inedible

Then I have been able to boot as root in Graphic mode

I have been able too change the settings to my prefered language, to create new user (through the graphic account manager no useradd or adduser command in the shell)

Now it's perfectly running.

It did save the change I made during the loop when choosing a keyboard. It was quite confusing to type a password on a keyboard set to azerty layout in graphic mode while it has been defined in qwerty layout after booting in shell mode ( -s ) but I went through

I confirm my laptop is equiped with a Marcell Yukon Ethernet adaptor and there is no option in the bios to disable it.

So next step is to get the network and audio working

But today is a great day Mac OS X is running on my laptop

Thanks again to all the team working on this project.

--

Jmp0

Ok here is what I found works for this problem. I have tried most every thing including disabling my nic in the BIOS and pulling out my Wireless card nothing helped it would still loop. If I used the graphics mode option it would skip the Video intro but still loop.

That is when I remembered that I had gone though that part earlier when I had my PS/2 keyboard plugged in instead of my USB. So I rebooted with the PS/2 plugged in and it when right on though to the registration page. I then unplugged the PS/2 and plugged my USB back in and it worked just fine. So in my case it had nothing to do with the network cards at all. I verified this by doing a re-install with the nic and wireless both turn on from the beginning same thing. Now if I could get it to boot without the DVD in the drive!

• 1 month later...
Reboot, hit F8, and enter -s

After pressing enter, you'll eventually end up at a command line.

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
passwd root

...and enter a new password.

Hmm... The 'touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone' gives me a 'Read-only' error. I'm guessing this is because I can only boot using the CD to press F8. I imagine, I can get it to boot without the CD, I can get it to work right. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hmm... The 'touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone' gives me a 'Read-only' error. I'm guessing this is because I can only boot using the CD to press F8. I imagine, I can get it to boot without the CD, I can get it to work right. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have the same problem as well -- I have to use the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd in my DVD-ROM drive to boot up, otherwise I get the B0 error.

To actually create or touch the /var/db/.AppleSetupdone file on your HFS hard drive partition, I did the following:

1. When at the Darwin boot loader (with the DVD in the drive), press F8 and type

mach_kernel -rd:/dev/rdisk#s# (replace #s# with the partition where 10.5.2 lives, you can use Disk Utility to find out where your OS X lives)

(if this is a typo, try mach_kernel rd:/dev/rdisk#s#), omitting the - in fron tof the rd:

Then run the steps normal steps above to do a fsck, mount the root partition (you're doing a fsck and mount of the hard drive partition, not the Kalyway DVD, so the files will be writable. You can then do the /var/db/.AppleSetupdone step, and change the root passwd. Afterwards, you'll skip the Welcome Screen

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

• 6 months later...
If you're absolutely completely stuck at this point, here is a way to get on to the next problem...

You can bypass the setup wizard altogether by tricking osx into thinking it has already run.

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
passwd root

This will at least get you into osx, though you'll be running as the "root" administrator account... which is always recommended you don't use. (I believe you can use the "adduser" command if you'd like to setup a proper account)

You also will have skipped all of the configuration, so you'll be forced to use US English on a QWERTY keyboard, you will not be able to migrate your old account off another mac, you may not be able to setup networking manually.... But at least you'll be able to log in!

i went through the whole procedure but it seems its not working do i have to type exit at the end of everything ? because it does not give me any error but it does no work plz help

I had tried to install Mac OS X Loeopard 10.5.1 (Kalyway) but I got the welcome loop at the first time, after that I didn't know what to do. I was installing it on my HD where Windows XP already there. I failed a few times so I stop it and went back to install Windows because I couldn't use the welcome loop trick (I couldn't boot it without the Leopard DVD) and I got that the HD was read only.

I tried to install it again this week and set it as MBR (I overwrote my XP boot partition). I can use the welcome loop trick now without problems :)

Acer aspire 3680 running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1. Everything seems to work flawlessly except line in jack, microphone, modem, and card reader.

• 3 weeks later...
/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

Now call me a spaz, but I've booted WITHOUT DVD and gone through this process which worked perfectly.

The problem I have now is, I get the login screen with no user name. So I tried Administrator and my password.

That didn't work

So I went back and selected the only user from the user selection box and tried my password again. Still no joy

So the question is, what should the username be?

Now call me a spaz, but I've booted WITHOUT DVD and gone through this process which worked perfectly.

The problem I have now is, I get the login screen with no user name. So I tried Administrator and my password.

That didn't work

So I went back and selected the only user from the user selection box and tried my password again. Still no joy

So the question is, what should the username be?

OK I'm in now.. The username was Root

password was the one I set previously.. And most of the hardware works too like the sound, video, keyboard and mouse.

I just need to get my blasted newtwrok card to work now :)

That's for another thread though.

Well it's a little annoying right now, I got a dark blank screen with a cursor blinking in it when booting up (after the bios successfully loaded). I have been using Kalyway 10.5.1 for about a month, but I'm currently returning back to Linux because this issue although I've installed it a few times but no lucky with it, dude. My HD is formatted using MBR partition mapping and I was selecting boot_mbr option when installing Leo (I had it worked before). Should I repartition my HD with guid mapping?

• 2 weeks later...
If you're absolutely completely stuck at this point, here is a way to get on to the next problem...

You can bypass the setup wizard altogether by tricking osx into thinking it has already run.

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
passwd root

This will at least get you into osx, though you'll be running as the "root" administrator account... which is always recommended you don't use. (I believe you can use the "adduser" command if you'd like to setup a proper account)

You also will have skipped all of the configuration, so you'll be forced to use US English on a QWERTY keyboard, you will not be able to migrate your old account off another mac, you may not be able to setup networking manually.... But at least you'll be able to log in!

This worked for me also. Now that i'm in how do i install drivers for sound and video and networking?

Additionally, using the "-x" option is this only way i can boot. If I omit this I get stuck at a panic screen.

So it seems I'm stuck in "safe mode".

Help!

• 5 weeks later...
:wacko: Hi. please help someone. i am stuck in the loop. I tried the changing resolution trick. no luck.then i tried booting in safe mode . no luck. then i tried the whole sbin thing but here my problem is unique. i have tried all the versions including the command posted here multiple times and said to work many times. i can change my password. i can find the directory but when i run the touch command it says it cannot find the file . therefore i loop forever more. i tried the gforce fix. i tried the no networks fixes. is there someone still looping like me. i tried the sbin command posted here many times as well as other versions. please help.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was thinking the same thing, I wasn't thinking this would actually bother with networking, so I currently have a 10.5.2 without internet xD

I've been playing with it for awhile, but can't do much without internet =/

Any help on the situation would be nice xD

Mac is awesome so far, I might buy myself a regular mac PC later on, if there's some promotion and prices drop... xD

Edit: Woah I just noticed how old this topic was... x.x

• 2 weeks later...

This setup didn't work for me. After typing "exit" it brought me back to the Welcome Loop. Any suggestions?

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
ok so i got everything installed and dual boot working, now when i log into leopard it asks me what country im in and keyboard setup then it asks "do i already own a mac?" and give u options to restore mac to mac, from a volume of from time machine back up or do not transfer info now.....since i cant do anything because i dont have backups i can only do

Do not transfer now, its just keeps doing the welcome video, where it shows welcome in all the languages? any ideas how to bypass this, ???? some people say its because my wifi is not installed? but i have an atheros card and no idea how to get past this...please help

thanx

:censored2: :angel::blink::(:(:(:(:wacko::wacko::wacko::unsure::unsure:

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been tried that nice trick of AppleSetupDone

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

But why does stupid crazy keyboard setup retries alwys. I want to skip to desktop, PLEASE HELP ME!!! I have lost of over than 12 hour. Do not laught me! Please believe really!

Thanks beastr egards

• 3 months later...

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
passwd root

okay i have done all the commands... and after i re-enter my new password it skips a space and says root# or something like it wants another command and nothing happens. so i typed exit.and i got a whole bunch of words... and it got down to finily saying"unable to initialize UIM" now what should i do? am i supposed to do something else? PLEASE HELPP!

• 2 months later...

i've installed lawlessppc 10.5.4 but i have "welcome loop" error. i'm a newbie in this mac os x thing. when i insert the dvd, hit f8 and boot with "-s" or "Graphics Mode"="648x480x32" installation dvd boots, but i've already installed it. am i supposed to install mac os x again? i'm confused. i need a "lawlessppc for dummies" guide :)

• 1 month later...

I boot with option:

-s

then i type in:

/sbin/fsck -fy

**/dev/rdisk1s2 (NO WRITE)

** Root file system

... blablabla

** The volume Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd appears to be OK.

then i type in:

/sbin/mount -uw /

It doesnt say anything.

and then i type in:

disk1s2: device is write locked.

...ErrorNo 13...

then i type in:

passwd root

-sh psswd: command not found

Please help. THanks.