OSX 10.5.1 ""WELCOME LOOP" Help

cyberfool

50 posts in this topic

ok so i got everything installed and dual boot working, now when i log into leopard it asks me what country im in and keyboard setup then it asks "do i already own a mac?" and give u options to restore mac to mac, from a volume of from time machine back up or do not transfer info now.....since i cant do anything because i dont have backups i can only do

Do not transfer now, its just keeps doing the welcome video, where it shows welcome in all the languages? any ideas how to bypass this, ???? some people say its because my wifi is not installed? but i have an atheros card and no idea how to get past this...please help

thanx

:censored2: :angel::blink::(:(:(:(:wacko::wacko::wacko::unsure::unsure:

Very common problem.

Solution is to fix your network card. Basically, that is the point that the network card is initialised and it causes the migration assistant to crash.

I have found most systems with this problem are Marvell based and need to have the plist edited to include their pci id.

Its possible to skip the assistant but then you get a problem that no user account is created and of course you still don't have networking. You need to fix the root of the problem before trying to proceed.

Can anyone tell me how to install the network card? is it trying to use the ethernet or wifi card? I know my wifi is Atheros, and my ethernet is marvell yukon... Can anyone tell me how to add these drivers to my install? do i just boot with the install cd? because when i do, it just wants to do a fresh install....no adding drivers?

Guys, cyberfool is obviously new to the hackintosh scene. Not to flame you all, but you really need to be more specific with hackintosh newcomers. That's the only way to keep these forums from getting clogged up with a bunch of roundabout questions and nonesense. Answers like "boot with -s" (no offense ashp9) are totally meaningless to someone who doesn't even know what the command key is, and will cause more confusion, more questions, and a screwed-up hackintosh. This isn't "yahoo answers" where you can just spew out meaningless answers and get points for them. :unsure:

Now cyberfool, can you try to disable your Marvell in BIOS first? Do that before trying to add or edit anything. If you disable it in BIOS first, then try to reboot Leopard and if it still gets you stuck, then look for other answers. This is a common problem. Also, what are your specs, just out of curiosity? It's always good to put your specs in your signature so people like me don't keep asking you :angel:

thanx for the reply, i know what -s is but all that info doesnt mean anything to me..it does show allot of not found, things.... my specs are as follow

acer 5570Z laptop

1.6 dual core...pentium

2 gig of ram

intel 845gm graphics.

80gig hd

bluetooth and Atheros wifi

marvel ethernet.

any help is appreciated.....and in BIOS i dont have the option of disabling any of my hardware, sad but tru...I cant turn of my ethernet card. I could remove my atheros wifi card? pyshically?

This seems to be an Issue? with my Marvel Ethernet card or Atheros Wifi Card...No idea how to install it? if any one know how to get past this point and install the cards later on please let me know

I used Kalyway to install, but i also have iAkons?

Maybe i should try iAkons?

cyber, try what rocketscience suggested. i haven't done it, but i've seen it mentioned on the wikis before. of course, this is just a temporary fix to get past the account creation. you'll want to get your marvell running once you get into leopard, so check out this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15700

not sure if this will work with your specific version of the marvell adapter, but give it a try.

good luck!

There are two ways to fix this.

1) Boot into safe mode (-s boot option), then mount the harddrive and delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

2) If you have another tiger or leopard setup, just import the settings from that instead of doing Do no import.

Same problem here with KALYWAY LEopard 10.5.1.

Removed the ethernet LAN in BIOS and removed the cable itself - no luck.

Boot using startup DVD then fix permission - no luck.

My spec:

INTEL PENTIUM D

INTEL 945gt mobo with Intel Pro/100 ve

ATI RAdeon X550

efi + brazil patch

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I've got this problem too. And I don't think it's network card init because: 1. I've gotten past this before and 2. I disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS and removed EVERY card in this machine. There is nothing in here at all. This, by the way, is Kalway on a Dell SC440. I had it working once before, same keyboard, same setup, same Kalyway disc, and killed it trying to update it to 10.5.2 and now the Kalyway 10.5.1 and the Brazil discs that I've used in the past are sticking me at this same spot. I've done three different methods (including the Perfect install guide) today and am still getting this Welcome Loop.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just so no one misinterprets this, I am aware of where the command key is.

Thanks,

B

If you're absolutely completely stuck at this point, here is a way to get on to the next problem...

You can bypass the setup wizard altogether by tricking osx into thinking it has already run.

Reboot, hit F8, and enter -s

After pressing enter, you'll eventually end up at a command line.

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
passwd root

...and enter a new password.

This will at least get you into osx, though you'll be running as the "root" administrator account... which is always recommended you don't use. (I believe you can use the "adduser" command if you'd like to setup a proper account)

You also will have skipped all of the configuration, so you'll be forced to use US English on a QWERTY keyboard, you will not be able to migrate your old account off another mac, you may not be able to setup networking manually.... But at least you'll be able to log in!

I have had this problem before aswell ... Well only on my Striker... which I might add is where i am stuck due to the graphics update 1.0 killing my install...

I know that it is simply because i have to use the -x switch to get in.. I know that if it needs to identify my keyboard at this point it will always loop... I have to (using mac drive in windows) add the correct kexts for video and network and get it to a point that i dont have to use the -x and it goes through...

Dont know if this will help anyone but hope it does..

Cheers,

Paul

If you're absolutely completely stuck at this point, here is a way to get on to the next problem...

You can bypass the setup wizard altogether by tricking osx into thinking it has already run.

Reboot, hit F8, and enter -s

After pressing enter, you'll eventually end up at a command line.

Type:

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
passwd root

...and enter a new password.

This will at least get you into osx, though you'll be running as the "root" administrator account... which is always recommended you don't use. (I believe you can use the "adduser" command if you'd like to setup a proper account)

You also will have skipped all of the configuration, so you'll be forced to use US English on a QWERTY keyboard, you will not be able to migrate your old account off another mac, you may not be able to setup networking manually.... But at least you'll be able to log in!

This got me in and I was able to setup user accounts and whatnot. So what is the cause of that loop if it wasn't network cards and whatnot? This didn't happen the first time I went through with Kalyway.

This got me in and I was able to setup user accounts and whatnot. So what is the cause of that loop if it wasn't network cards and whatnot? This didn't happen the first time I went through with Kalyway.

Not a clue. Same thing happened to me... Installed kalyway fine, botched 10.5.2 update, formatted, tried to reinstall kalyway, got the welcome loop.

I'm pretty sure I chose the same options for install, too.. I know once I had this problem with the BrasilMac image, and I was able to fix it with network drivers.. though not this time... maybe I had my lan disabled in the bios during the whole first install. I tried disabling it after I was stuck in the loop and it didn't help. I know when it finally did work, it was trying to setup my network through firewire, so I know it never did find my network card properly... *shrug*