OpenSuSE 11.0 Installer Looks Gorgeous

Alessandro17

81 posts in this topic

Check your version again

Having said that, Linux's user-friendliness is a bit more than a working gui. It really, really depends on the desktop environment.

Oops ... 10.3.

Yeah but it has a working GUI these days ;) Those bad old days when MS-DOS led the market and Novell Netware was the network. unsure.gif

Nowadays I really don't see a user friendliness issue with using linux.

Indeed! The only issues I see are bugs. Minor distribution (but not all of them) can have plenty, to the point of being unusable.

Major distributions can be buggy as well. From the early Warty betas, Ubuntu has never worked decently for me.

Nevertheless, one would be forced to concede that projects like Fedora and openSUSE can never be as free as Debian. My point with the cleartype debacle was that no one has yet proved it was MS code being used, ie. lifted wholesale from Windows and plonked into openSUSE or any distribution that uses it. Just because something does something in a similar way and achieves a similar result does not mean it violates patent laws. I think that was the entire basis of Microsoft's defence in many cases brought against it by Apple.

I haven't tried openSUSE 10.3 as I said, so I wouldn't know if the fonts have improved...

http://david.freetype.org/cleartype-patents.html

EDIT: There's also some coded disabled due to Apple patents: http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

I'm currently sat looking at the openSUSE 11.0 alpha 3 installer probing for hard drive controllers - been here for half an hour :s

I am avoiding alphas. I might avoid betas as well, unless people say they are quite stable (unlikely).

One can judge an OS only by the final release.