OpenSuSE 11.0 Installer Looks Gorgeous

Alessandro17

81 posts in this topic

I'm very much looking forward to openSUSE 11. KDE4 has been a huge disappointment so far, and I'm still waiting for a real KDE4 distro, not the slopped-together stuff we've got now. I really wish they would also include the very latest and greatest NVIDIA and ATI drivers, but they get all weird with the non-open nature of it, so I guess we'll have to live with an install after the fact.

On an insignificant side note, any word on if this installer will support wide displays?

Looks nice.

I wonder why the folks at openSUSE why don't plan to include KDE 4.1 in this release. According to the KDE roadmap 4.1 is going to be released around July, and it would be a much better choice for a desktop distro like openSUSE.

4.0 is clearly not ready for mainstream usage.

Anyways, looking forward, the devs seem to do a beautiful job! :)

Looks nice.

I wonder why the folks at openSUSE why don't plan to include KDE 4.1 in this release.

Because openSUSE 11.0 is going to be released in June. Even if they wanted to wait for KDE 4.1, after you put a major desktop environment like KDE in your distro, you still need to do quite some testing before you release. That would delay the release by several months.

But in any case, once KDE 4.1 is released, it will be easily available from the Community Repositories.

A17,

That does look pretty and I think it may be a major factor in making more people try out the OS. The more user friendly and visually appealing the installation interface, the more people are willing to try.

Also, I want to look into OpenSUSE, I am sort of a nerd and like to try all things, but two questions first...

Is OpenSUSE a live cd distro or installation only?

Can you use Gnome or XFCE over KDE? I do not like KDE and that what initially steered me towards Ubuntu instead of OpenSUSE.

Thanks,

Cody

Keep on macKIN'

A17,

That does look pretty and I think it may be a major factor in making more people try out the OS. The more user friendly and visually appealing the installation interface, the more people are willing to try.

Indeed :blink:

Also, I want to look into OpenSUSE, I am sort of a nerd and like to try all things, but two questions first...

Is OpenSUSE a live cd distro or installation only?

It is both (meaning you can get a LiveCD or an installation CD/DVD). More important, since 10.3 LiveCDs have also an installer.

Can you use Gnome or XFCE over KDE? I do not like KDE

Sure :) openSUSE is second to none when it comes to desktop environments/window managers, all very polished.

Indeed :D

It is both (meaning you can get a LiveCD or an installation CD/DVD). More important, since 10.3 LiveCDs have also an installer.

Sure :) openSUSE is second to none when it comes to desktop environments/window managers, all very polished.

Thanks for the info, I looked it up also because I was bored.

May give it a try later this week if I have time...

Attention all Linux fans!

I've been a Windows liker until I found OS X. Now I never come close to Windows again unless I need to.

What's so special about Linux? Can anyone give me a reason why its better than OS X? Not trying to be arrogant or anything, I'm just exploring territory...

Thanks

I was actually about to ask the same thing. What's so great about Linux and Unix and all them? Other than great security and running servers. Like what can I do on it and what can I use? .Exe's? .Dmg's? It's own special installer called .Nix? (Last one was a joke)

I've been a Windows liker until I found OS X. Now I never come close to Windows again unless I need to.

What's so special about Linux? Can anyone give me a reason why its better than OS X?

Maybe because it is free in both meanings of the word? And maybe because it can be installed legally on virtually any hardware without waiting for somebody to graciously hack it for us? (And even that doesn't always work, far from it).

And maybe because (most of us) are geeks and don't want to limit ourselves to just one OS?

Maybe because it is free in both meanings of the word? And maybe because it can be installed legally on virtually any hardware without waiting for somebody to graciously hack it for us? (And even that doesn't always work, far from it).

And maybe because (most of us) are geeks and don't want to limit ourselves to just one OS?

Exactly, too many of us "geeks" like to be completely legit every once in a while, and that is where linux comes in...

What's so special about Linux? Can anyone give me a reason why its better than OS X? Not trying to be arrogant or anything, I'm just exploring territory...

Thanks

Linux is open source, OS X is not, which some guys can be really weird about. Beyond the money cost and polished-ness of the OS, that's the only real technical difference. When it boils down, all NIX/BSD systems are essentially the same.

Linux is open source, OS X is not, which some guys can be really weird about.

Windows and OS X, the OS plus the applications can cost up to several thousand bucks (if you want to be legal).

Linux isn't just an OS, it is also a collection of thousands of free applications (more than 20,000).

Installing them is also very easy. Whilst in Windows or OS X you must install them one by one, enter the serial number, activate... in Linux all you do is tick a box in your distribution package manager and click apply! There is no limit how many applications you can install each time.

That is why a clean install of Linux takes me only a couple of hours, while a clean install of OS X or Windows takes several days!

Windows and OS X, the OS plus the applications can cost up to several thousand bucks (if you want to be legal).

Linux isn't just an OS, it is also a collection of thousands of free applications (more than 20,000).

Installing them is also very easy. Whilst in Windows or OS X you must install them one by one, enter the serial number, activate... in Linux all you do is tick a box in your distribution package manager and click apply! There is no limit how many applications you can install each time.

That is why a clean install of Linux takes me only a couple of hours, while a clean install of OS X or Windows takes several days!

I was under the impression that OS X could be gotten for $600 and zero headaches, with iLife included for free, at your closest Best Buy or Apple store...

I was under the impression that OS X could be gotten for $600 and zero headaches, with iLife included for free, at your closest Best Buy or Apple store...

I was under the impression that you need a lot more applications than what you get by default included with the OS.

Heck, you don't even get a free uninstaller like AppZapper or a complete (well, almost) CD & DVD burning application like Toast Titanium ;)

I was under the impression that you need a lot more applications than what you get by default included with the OS.

Heck, you don't even get a free uninstaller like AppZapper or a complete (well, almost) CD & DVD burning application like Toast Titanium :)

No one needs any of those. The only thing needed that doesn't come free with a Mac Mini is iWork, which actually comes as a trial and can be unlocked for a fraction of the price of Microsoft Office. All the software one needs is either included with OS X (Mail, Address Book, iChat, etc.), or can be freely downloaded (Firefox, VLC, and Handbrake).

No one needs a CD/DVD burning application? :shock:

Between iTunes, Finder, iDVD, and Disk Utility, most users will be satisfied. But I get your point.

Thinking about downloading this now, but I might wait a while for a more stable release. I plan on trying it at some point though.