[HowTo] P5N-E SLI nForce 650i leopard Complete Walkthrough Guide

KellyKelly

199 posts in this topic

To everyone in this thread looking for my Pre-Series 7 nForce chipset thread see here......for some unexplained reason a mod closed my original thread without warning...... ;)

Cheers

verdant

well all was good till i tried the 10.5.7 update...i followed the instructions here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/05/update-...m-1056-to-1057/

Go back to your terminal and press Control C to end the script.

In terminal type:

”nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1”

Replace the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext if any exists.

Don’t restart.

Second Phase :

Open osx86tools >>> Check repair permissions >>> Set kext permissions >>> Clear extensions cache >>> Restart.

Boot using -v to see if any errors.

the DSMOS kext did not exist, ok. couldn't open osx86 tools because waiting for restart. restarted, came back up. then crash, please restart computer. now stability is terrible. did i do something wrong? can i roll back to 10.5.6? i backup up all my kext and mach_kernel. thanks

i have re-installed 10.5.6, and am d/ling the 10.5.7 combo update. I am not sure i understand what you mean by install directly? just install update, no kext manipulations like the tutorial i followed suggests? Also the link to 10.5.8 tutorial seems to be broken. Thanks Der-3!!!!

Edit: i seemed to have sorted out the broken links. i guess insanelymac needs to be replaced with (guess the site does not like the replacement I'm putting here....)

This is where I'm getting tripped up:

As Netkas stated : To update, you can you old manual given below or use a quick one make sure you have dsmos/appledecrypt and appleintelcpupm disabler kexts installed to /Extra These Kext are generally available in /Extra if not then download from here.

Download AppleDecrypt.kext Click HERE.

Download IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext Click HERE.

Edit : AppleIntelCPUPM Disabler.kexts will be in /Extra

Do i put these kexts in the /extra folder then install them? I'm almost there... :D

For 10.5.7 update

-> download combo update

-> mount the dmg

-> install

-> reboot

No kext manipulation. I don't even repair permissions but i think it should be done with OSX86Tools.

For AppleDecrypt.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kex, they should already be in the Extensions fodler of Leopard, so don't need to put them in the Extra folder.

sounds easy. any idea why the kexts manipulation mentioned in the update tutorials was needed? some have trashed the install from what i read. (like myself :))

I backed up all my extension and mach_kernel. in case of disaster i can restore them. I'm sure it will be ok. :D

installation trashed once again... :hysterical:

i can boot to safe mode, but any time i try to do anything the system just hangs, and i have to hit reset. cant boot regular, system just crashes on boot up. this is very frustrating.....

i didn't repair permissions as you said you didn't. tried to do so in safe mode, system hangs, need to reset.

something is getting messed up in the 10.5.7 update. not sure where to go now. :gun:

can i revert back to 10.5.6 by restoring my kernel and extensions folder? do you know how?

Edit: unplugged computer, let sit, restarted and restarted twice, seems to be stable, then crash....no love here

guess back to drawing board. 10.5.6 is where it will have to stay.

could it be the kernel i select? i have an intel quad, perhaps i need one of the other kernels that support sse3?

No, Vanilla Kernel works good. I Have Vanilla Kernel with Leopard and with Snow Leopard with this motherboard without problems.

Giorgio

i didnt select vanilla kernel. i did voodoo 9.5.0 perhaps try vanilla? then update?

if you dont mind looking, did you select the same customize options that are listed on page 9?

I have used my guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1103449

Escuse for Italian.

Giorgio

Giorgio,

did you update to 10.5.7 and .8? anything special you did b4 update?

Do you have a guide for snow leopard? I'd love to check it out! grazie il mio amico

I have updated with iDeneb ComboUpdate 10.5.8

For Snow Leopard I'll write a guide in the next days (I hope in english, but I must solve some secondary problems). For Snow you need a IDE HD.

Giorgio

well dont have any ide hard drives....so oh well for now.

i did your install, and i get kernel panic upon 1st boot, and it never starts...thoughts? are there any settings in the bios you change? der-3 gave me valuable input, but are your the same?

well dont have any ide hard drives....so oh well for now.

i did your install, and i get kernel panic upon 1st boot, and it never starts...thoughts? are there any settings in the bios you change? der-3 gave me valuable input, but are your the same?

Try voodoo kernel

Giorgio

doing that now....thoughts why vanilla woulnt work?

I don't know, with my Q9300 works. And Snow works only with vanilla kernel, not with modified kernel.

Giorgio

well back up and running. 10.5.6 version. guess i'm stuck here till i can figure out why 10.5.7 wont update. Any thoughts as to what could be wrong? is there a way for me to backup everything and restore the system in the event of update failure? its so time consuming having to reinstall over and over. thanks

well back up and running. 10.5.6 version. guess i'm stuck here till i can figure out why 10.5.7 wont update. Any thoughts as to what could be wrong? is there a way for me to backup everything and restore the system in the event of update failure? its so time consuming having to reinstall over and over. thanks

I have PM'd you..... :) Keep two working OS X systems on your HDD......1 Main and 1 Backup.....