this sucks...

21 posts in this topic

first of all, i think of "osx86" in general as of some very neat pieces of tweaks done and assembled by a lot of highly respected people out there.

i'm fairly new to this forum, not to osx86, but it's definately hard to read many of the topics around without puking the hell outta me. of course, not anyone of us can be a whizz-kid knowing everything but honestly: most of the things people write about here is trouble getting osx running while either...

- using incompatible hardware

- missing the required knowledge to overcome even the most common problems

- don't know of google (or whatever search engine you might prefer) or are just too lazy to use the insanelymac-search

- being not eager enough to learn more

- just not intelligent enough

sorry guys, but having read the 20st topic about people complaining getting their 08 15 wlan-adapters running under 10.5 just makes me crazy. when do people realize that osx is *not* windows and that driver-support is fairly unique to hardware that is at least is stationary to apple built systems. when i realized that my wlan-adapter that previously worked with 10.4.10 didn't work with 10.5.1, i went and bought a compatible one. voilá, works like an airport-charme without setting any id or fixing whatever and it cost me just 30 bucks to get rid of this simple incompatibility. instead of doing so, people fight and cuss around here with others and whinge about the 'supposed' {censored} provided by kalyway, the uphuck-group or the exellent guys of wiki.os86project.com! most of the guys out here are able to suck a torrent out of the net but even uncompressing a zip-file is too much for some. they, of course, ask whether the extension shouldn't be iso instead of zip. darn!

did you guys even realized how many people insulted kalyway for doing some customizing of 'his' release of 10.5.1? yeah, right! if you don't like it, change it yourself, find out how, get rid of the installation or go and buy a real mac! not necessarily in that particular order, though...

all of this sucks big time and dejects to answer most of the questions asked.

there are even people out there where osx86 is running perfectly but they are verbatim-like pissed off that their system-profiler shows wrong values. lol, this can't be for real! i don't post often, but most of the time i answer things or at least lead people into the right direction but even that is most of the time more tendious than anything else. the standard of knowledge around here sinks to an absolute minimum and disqualifies the usability of this place completely.

beat me up or count me out if you like... i don't care... flame-wars are probably much more fun to read than most of the topics around here.

as far as i'm concerned, this forum is not going to survive much longer than it has. it will just become depraved and will {censored} off competent people more and more.

it's kinda sad if you ask me but oh well, i'm just a 'protégé' ;)

bye

ps: my respect to all of you guys out there helping here sans préjugé... it's simply too much for myself.

btw: i bought 98% of my hardware once and was able to install 'jas 10.4.8 / uphuck 10.4.9 / upgraded to 10.4.10 / installed kalyway 10.5.1 without any problem, incompatibility or other malfunction that was or is not provided by apple inc. - it's all been just a matter of researching in the first place and for one time only! in case anyone wants to know what i'm using, find it out yourself. it just not that hard...

I agree. Or don't I?... Think about it.

actually, an answer directed to you in some other thread recently which said that you, hecker, "should go and get a live" made me write my post. i just can't stand this {censored} anymore...

actually, an answer directed to you in some othere thread recently which said that you, hecker, "should go and get a live" made me write my post. i just can't stand this {censored} anymore...
I know you did, bro. And I thank you for that. In using an ambiguety I hoped to direct your attention to this: everything we experience will be fundamentally affected by how you feel (your mood). If you stay positive, ignore the trolls, grammar-warlords and lazy newbies, you'll see that this community is (still) rich in information that can be used to your advantage.

I understand your frustration but try to focus on the good things and don't take anything personal unless your having fun with it. That's kinda my general forum motto. ;) If you do, you'll help keep this forum fun and hopefully alive for many years.

Cheers,

hecker

EDIT: What forum moderators feel like (the little ones are newbies, hehe):

04dec18-angry-pussy.jpgCan I has a break?

Think about every forum. In this example I will use an iPhone forum. Let's say that everyone had everything they wanted without a hitch. That means no problems, no complaining, nothing. The forum would be pretty quiet wouldn't it? All everyone would do is sit around, divulging into how great they are, and that they have admittedly the most badass forum on the planet. You can't keep up a conversation without questions.

My 2cents...

One must remember(added to frustrations), a LOT of "behind the scenes" PM help, is also going on!

This kind of help which in my mind is sometimes the real help, is easily forgotten or not known about for this the big kahunas should be thanked!

SticMAN

@aprodigy: no-one has born with osx86 knowledge inside, so there will always be noobs around no metter what. to ask a question is a normal behaviour if you don't know something, isn't it?

i wouldn't complain about noobs.

everyone here wants everything ready without spending time on it and this is bad, and this is not related to osx86 knowledge or what.

what lacks here, is respect for other's work, and conscousness that one is part of a community of people.

if everyone understands that, everithing would be cleaner.

i agree with aprodigy, this place makes me sick, its why i avoid all os x installation forums and {censored}, also IRC is just as painful with stupid lazy fools asking the same question 50 times. spoon fed idiots they are

I agree with some of the people above (Above Kiko :wacko:).

Everyone is considered a noob at some point in their lives. You are not born with OSX86 knowledge. But also the information can not telepathically get inside your brain. You must search a bit and learn from other peoples mistakes.

While I dont agree with everything you're saying.. I would say....

This is probally the most poorly designed laid out, thought out, set-up forum I've ever seen.

WAY to many topics/subtopics/ a mismash of info all over the place, confusing search...

I have built many forums and used many.. This one is by far the worst and needs a total overhaul.

Maybe its too confusing to you and you're seeing all these newbie threads and info cause they are everyhere in this mix up Categories and Sub-Categories....

A good forum has a mix of a FEW categories/Sub-Forums.. Stickies with rules. Mods that make newbies follow the rules. IE Locking threads (Read the rules), Read the Newbie Info.. It's like a free-for-all here.

While I dont agree with everything you're saying.. I would say....

This is probally the most poorly designed laid out, thought out, set-up forum I've ever seen.

WAY to many topics/subtopics/ a mismash of info all over the place, confusing search...

I have built many forums and used many.. This one is by far the worst and needs a total overhaul.

Maybe its too confusing to you and you're seeing all these newbie threads and info cause they are everyhere in this mix up Categories and Sub-Categories....

A good forum has a mix of a FEW categories/Sub-Forums.. Stickies with rules. Mods that make newbies follow the rules. IE Locking threads (Read the rules), Read the Newbie Info.. It's like a free-for-all here.

Why don't you amuse us and give us a hint on how to structure the place instead of just bashing it? I'm sure a big Guru like you could make it in no time.

See, it's non-constructive criticism and disappreciation like yours that make the good people that make this place possible go away.

I tend to think that this place is great and is the one major source of OSX86 information in the net, period. I know there's a lot of things that could be done, but unless I'm willing to do something about it I rather keep my mouth shut instead of becoming part of the "problem".

- hecker

i think no forum can escape from this, just depends how we deal with it ..

i would now help the noob when i'm in good mood .

sticman.. there's a lot behind the scene pm are going on ...

thus the search of this forum really really make me sick ;(

i always search and got nothing ... haha

No matter how much whining you do, OSx86 and all the associated forums/IRC networks aren't going to end up going anywhere ("going anywhere" in both positive and negative terminology). There have been multiple times in the past when people thought "it was the end," but of course none of that happened. The amount of "good members" that may smarten up and leave doesn't change anything; there will always be other people to replace them, and new people to whine to them. This forum has been {censored} ever since the original administration sold the place, and will remain {censored} unless something miraculous happens. Unfortunately... as long as there are noobs to be fed, there will be a place that will feed them.

And to hecker, whom will probably respond with some sort of "why don't you try and make it better, then?" comeback: no, I am not going to make any suggestions; nothing any member here could say will ever make a difference, and reading through a couple of "suggestion" posts I am sure will prove this.

its nothing to do with being a noob, its to do with being too lazy to search for your problems, its easier to just make a new junk topic about it. you dont need much knowledge to search b4 making a new thread. btw carfalker, isnt that called ban evading?

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.” (Socrates)

@lord_muad_dib: Not really, since most of the problems I encounter, won't become answered here anyway. Most of the time, I have to figure out things by myself, read technical documentation, open up a man-page, open a book or simply try, try and try and that's perfectly fine with me. However, it upsets me that others simply take the ease of asking dump questions instead of spending some time and 'being unwilling to learn' about something they don't even know a bit about.

And if I'd have ever said something like you just said to my professor, he'd most probably would have answered that I must be having some major bats in my belfry and kicked my ass out of the auditorium! That's just not the way this world works and we wouldn't have gotten anywhere in this place with that way of acting you propose.

I think the problem here is that for a noob that comes here, there is really nowhere to start. There is no "Start here" thread with information on the basics, the different install methods, the different problems that could come up, etc. The tutorials forum is so full of so many diverse threads that to try to search through it to find somewhere to start is almost impossible.

If you guys want things to get better, then find a way to teach noobs about stuff. Instead of whining and telling each noob separately, write a good general information thread and sticky it.

But I don't know if that can ever work. I tend to think it could if we didn't get too specific, but others have said no. I made an attempt, with the link in my sig. If you want to help then go ahead. If not... then these complaining posts are just as bad as the noob stuff.

Socal Swimmer has hit the nail on the head. I've been a member here for almost 2 years. I started off as a total noob but have learnt an awful lot during that time, mainly from searches and trawling through threads. My limited post count however is mostly given to making suggestions to help others from the experiences I have gained. The few times I've asked for help it's either been ignored or given a cursory dismiss, hence the desire to take a back seat rather than have someone shout you down. It's as if you have to be an expert before you're allowed to be a part of the community.

There are a couple of other sites that I joined as well and whilst the volume of threads, (and experience) is nothing like here, they are far more tolerant of inexperience and so encourage noobs to learn. You still get lazy/ignorant questions, but they get dealt with in a civil but firm manner. Isn't that what the senior members should be doing?

There is a mass of great info in this site and some people have done a top job in putting it together but it's hidden by so many irrelevant and useless posts that clutter the place up. Instead of leaving these redundant threads to gather dust, just get rid of them after answering the question in a polite but firm manner. Maybe the mods/admin need to look at a spring clean and clear out a lot of the clutter.

For all it's faults, this is a great resource and I always come here first to look for answers. I just don't feel it's very conducive to sticking your head above the parapet and actually asking a question. Maybe we need a new section just for noobs and the mods can move errant posts into it. That way, those with tolerance could have a look and give some advice whilst the OSX86 elite wouldn't even have to know what was going on there. Anyway, that's my four penneth for what it's worth.

Why don't you amuse us and give us a hint on how to structure the place instead of just bashing it? I'm sure a big Guru like you could make it in no time.

See, it's non-constructive criticism and disappreciation like yours that make the good people that make this place possible go away.

I tend to think that this place is great and is the one major source of OSX86 information in the net, period. I know there's a lot of things that could be done, but unless I'm willing to do something about it I rather keep my mouth shut instead of becoming part of the "problem".

- hecker

If you're willing to allow me to reorganize the forum in a proper manner, I'd spend a day and do it.

I will put my money where my mouth is. Sorry, but spend 5 minutes on the forum. Its confusing as heck. Its not properly laid out, too many categories, not enough mods.. what else do you want to know.. to many rules being broken.. all of this could easily be solved but it takes some work.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the problem here is that for a noob that comes here, there is really nowhere to start.

Excellent observations. A high level explanation of new OSX concepts would be an excellent primer. I think most noobs here (myself included) are coming from Windows where installing a driver means download, double click and occasionally, reboot. Driving down the osx86 road can be a bit intimidating with all these references to kext files, card id's, and all the terminal commands!