[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Use my attached copycat plist file and copy it into 'EFIStudio.app/Contents/Resources/graphiccards' then generate the GFX String.

It works perfectly with the 10.5.2 Nvidia kext's.

System Profiler info will look like it does on a real MacBook Pro with the 8600M GT :(

Thanks a bunch. One more question.

Are these the only 10.5.2 kexts needed or do you need any of the NVDA kexts as well?

GeForce.kext

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

Anyone know how to get Mute to work with Sigmatel Stack 9228 ? I have M1530. My USB automount doesnt work either. anyone? Thanks.

I think the mute problem is the same as what that happened with the STAC9200 codec on the Inspiron 9400.

It is due to the newer version of AppleHDA patcher doing something incorrectly. TBCarey fixed it last time; I'll ask him what was changed.

Thanks a bunch. One more question.Are these the only 10.5.2 kexts needed or do you need any of the NVDA kexts as well? GeForce.kextGeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundleGeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

Those three are the only ones you need keep from 10.5.2 :)

Glad to hear everything is working fine!

P.

Well, a little guide to boot on retail installation wthout cd/usb.

At least, you still need a CD to boot the Retail DVD.

Requirement:

- A Retail Mac OSX installation DVD

- A CD to Boot installation DVD

- A HDD partitioned as GUID

- files below

To do: ( Bootable ISO + Installer *: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966)

- Burn .iso on a CD;

- Boot this CD;

- When Darwin prompt appear, eject CD and put Mac OS X Leopard Retail DVD;

- Install System.

Method 1: Once installation finished, you need to install chameleon on your system disk. Download Chameleon bootloader, then replace "boot" by the one from "additional files" below ("boot" comes from original Iso project). Install it.

Method 2: (another bootable system needed): download "OSX86Tools Utility". Then, right click on app —> show package contents —>Contents —>Resources;

Replace "boot" file with the one from "additional files" below. Run OSX86Tools, select "Install EFI/Run FDISK", "Reinstall Source files then "run script" and install chameleon on the Retail system partition.

Method 3: Install Chameleon then copy "boot" into your root folder.

- Unpack "extra" archive below into the root Retail system folder.

- Install NVinject and ClamShellDisplay in System/Library/Extensions/

- Eject CD, Reboot your Retail System and Voilà, (almost) unmodified system with easy boot kexts manipulations.

This also works for patched DVD's (Iatkos, kalyway...). You don't need to boot with ISO, just add Extra folder with kexts then Mod Chameleon; you will be able to update your system safely from official Apple updates.

Known Issues:

- After 10.5.3 update; Nvinject or NVKush should be placed in System/Library/Extensions/ (or no QE)

- ClamShellDisplay don't works until you place it in System/Library/Extensions/

- AppleHDA still need to be patched, just reinstall it after updates (if you use an installer, remove ALCInject or HDAEnabler from System/Library/Extensions/ folder).

- If Airport is displayed as not configured, go to System Preferences—>Network—> Airport; Advanced—>TCP/IP—> Renew DHCP Lease.

Special Thanks to Chun-Nan and SuperHai, who created vanilla's compatibles kexts.

Extra Archive Content:

-AppleACPIBatteryManager

-AppleACPIPS2Nub

-ApplePS2Controller

-AppleSMBIOSEFI

-dsmos

-HDAEnabler

-IntelCPUPMDisabler

http://www.mediafire.com/?gijyuxjnyex

Additional Files archive Content:

-boot

-NVKush

-ClamShellDisplay

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ttttd1nlewe

* EDIT: Bootable ISO + Installer:

Just boot Retail DVD then install system. Reboot (with CD), then use the installer. It create Extra folder with kexts and use a modded Osx86Tools to install chameleon. Your system should be bootable without CD.

Very handy, cheers sonotone ;)

Just wanted to say that it's also working on a existing patched installation (like Iatkos, Kaly...). Just install chameleon with the correct boot file, extract Extra archive then remove kexts (existing in Extra folder) from System/Library/Extensions/

Updates should be safe now :thumbsup_anim:

Hey there, this is what worked for me and my M1330. Install iAtkos v. 2.0i with default options, and select under "stock files" 9.2.2 vanilla kernel. Then I used sonotone's 0.31 installer and installed GFX - 8400, Sound - 9228, SMBIOS - MacBook Pro - These may be diff for your system. Battery meter should be working out of the box. I opened disk utility, repaired permissions. Then I downloaded the 10.5.3 Kalyway Update. It will consist of the 10.5.3 combo update and 10.5.3 kernels. Install the 10.5.3 combo update, BUT DONT REBOOT. Then Install the Kernels - select 9.3.0 Vanilla. Then open disk util and do repair permissions, close the installers and restart. When it boots, push F8 and type "update -v" The comp may restart a few times, then boot into 10.5.3, you shouldn't use "update -v" more than once, its a one time deal. Next open up sonotones 0.31 package, install GFX - 8400, Sound - 9228, SMBIOS - MacBook Pro, Batter Meter - Like I said, install to your specs, this is only for my M1330. After install, repair permissions, reboot. Now when you sleep the laptop and recover from sleep your audio should work, if it doesn't try deleting /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, also delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio/Contents/Plugins/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext After that, repair permissions, reboot. Should be running 10.5.3 great now. Go to System prefs > software update, select only 10.5.4 update. Let it do its thing automatically and mine updated without having to do anything. I am also running 9.4.0 vanilla kernel. Sorry I do Disk Util so many times, I just don't want to get kernel panics upon reboot, so I do it after any install now - which is probably unnecessary, but better safe than sorry. Lemme know if it works out for you!

hey, thanks for the awesome guide! everything works great except i can't access the system by having acpi enabled i had to disable it xD is there any way i could enable acpi mode that works properly?

also could u upload the 0.31 installer i cant seem to find it .

thanks in advance!

i also have an m1330

I got two-finger scrolling to work on my m1330!

macgirl, you should add this to your guide, or link this post, since its kind of long. :unsure:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

---

edit: I have made a separate thread for the tutorial, as it applies to many other laptops out there. the plist file is optimized for the m1330 though.

It doesn't seems to work on Vostro 1400. I tryed for a day and nothing... if someone got it functional, please tell me.

Alright guys, I just fixed the Mute button function on the STAC9228 0x83847616 codec.

Just replace your AppleHDA.kext with my version and it will be fine.

Thanks goes to TBCarey for originally fixing the same problem on the STAC9200 codec; this was a bug with Taruga's AppleHDA patcher incorrectly flagging one of the keys in the Info.plist

Mute also works fine from the remote.

Enjoy :)

P.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Method 1: Once installation finished, you need to install chameleon on your system disk. Download Chameleon bootloader, then replace "boot" by the one from "additional files" below ("boot" comes from original Iso project). Install it.

Method 2: (another bootable system needed): download "OSX86Tools Utility". Then, right click on app —> show package contents —>Contents —>Resources;

Replace "boot" file with the one from "additional files" below. Run OSX86Tools, select "Install EFI/Run FDISK", "Reinstall Source files then "run script" and install chameleon on the Retail system partition.

Method 3: Install Chameleon then copy "boot" into your root folder.

are these different methods or its one method but different steps?

YES i finally installed it with no problems! i fixed my ahci problem and i have a m1330!

only known problems are the shutdown and restart and photobooth which crashes. photobooth works but if u close it and try to relaunch it, it crashes for mine :( anyway to fix this?

just regarding the shutdown/ reboot problem, isn t there a way to force unloading of kexts after aqua is unloaded? because i see the problem being that the window system (aqua) is dependant on the graphics kexts so i see that it makes sense if you could script unloading of the graphics kexts right after aqua quits wouldn t it work? I base this on the assumption that the 8400 isn t supported in the kexts themselves but rely on the same engine as all the other 8 series so it works with injectors or gfx strings. thus there is a problem where the kexts won t unlock themselves, to get unloaded in the shutdown routine, for the 8400 in the new dell machines.

sonotone, if I'm already running PC EFI V8 and dual booting fine, is the switch over to Chameleon worth it? have you noticed any differences?

P.

My dual boot with XP/Leopard is working fine (i was also running under PC_EFI previously); chameleon is supposed to boot vista, but i didn't tested it by myself.

My dual boot with XP/Leopard is working fine (i was also running under PC_EFI previously); chameleon is supposed to boot vista, but i didn't tested it by myself.

Ah, with my current setup, Darwin seems to be booting Vista fine, got both parts as GUID.

Guess I'll stick with PCI EFI V8 for the time being :lol:

Thought I'd mention this in-case it was missed: when combining 10.5.3 Nvidia kexts with 10.5.2 GeForce, 8xxxGL and FXGL kexts, it causes a longer blue screen delay just before the login screen.

Alright guys, I just fixed the Mute button function on the STAC9228 0x83847616 codec.

Just replace your AppleHDA.kext with my version and it will be fine.

Thanks goes to TBCarey for originally fixing the same problem on the STAC9200 codec; this was a bug with Taruga's AppleHDA patcher incorrectly flagging one of the keys in the Info.plist

Mute also works fine from the remote.

Enjoy :(

P.

The zip file won't open on my system..

Unable to unarchive "AppleHDA.kext.zip" into "Downloads"

(Error 1 - Operation not permitted)

The zip file won't open on my system..

Unable to unarchive "AppleHDA.kext.zip" into "Downloads"

(Error 1 - Operation not permitted)

Works fine for me on my PC (WinRAR) and Mac.

BOMArchiveHelper should only throw this error if the file is protected, but it isn't.

Have you tried extracting using iArchive or BetterZip? or you could also try copying it to your Desktop and extracting it from Terminal.app:

cd ~/Desktop

unzip -j AppleHDA.kext.zip

Works fine for me on my PC (WinRAR) and Mac. BOMArchiveHelper should only throw this error if the file is protected, but it isn't.

Have you tried extracting using iArchive or BetterZip? or you could also try extracting it from Terminal.app:

cd ~/Desktop

unzip -j AppleHDA.kext.zip

Converted to a rar file using WinRAR and was able to extract in OSX, all good now.. and mute works.. thanks!

Ah, with my current setup, Darwin seems to be booting Vista fine, got both parts as GUID.

Guess I'll stick with PCI EFI V8 for the time being

Vista/Leopard GUID dual boot under Chameleon 1.0.11 works beautifully, quicker boot time for Leopard (timed).

I use Chameleon, there is not much difference for our laptops (don't need AMD, SSE2, JMicron, software RAID etc support), but I like that it is open source and under development, also comes with Vista friendly fdisk for people using Vista.

I don't think it is any faster, it is just a bootloader.