[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Has anyone made a keylayout for the M1330 yet? I have been trying with Ukulele (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele) but i cant get all the keys to work.

e.g. the backslash next to Z does not seem to register any input at all. I did however swap the keys so the Windows Logo key becomes the Apple key just as it is on my other hackintosh.

I'm also looking for the app that enables scroll on the synaptic touchpad, i know i saw i on the board somewhere!

(sound is still working! im still digesting my dinner)

ok here is what i found - during a cold boot up, sound does not seem to work on my machine - but once i hear the notebook fan start kicking in i just simply restart and i'll have sound again. problem now is trying to run apps that utilise 100% of the cpu/gfx card before restarting - maybe issues with cpu speed?

This is a keylayout i made for the UK XPS M1330.

It basically swaps the " and @ so they are on the right keys and also a couple of other keys.

please note the backslash "\" key does not work next to the "Z" but if you press the key to the left of "1" that will give you a backslash.

To install, put the two files in your /Library/Keyboard Layouts	folder.

then SYSTEM PREFERENCES > INTERNATIONAL > INPUT MENU

scroll to British-Dell-XPS-M1130

tick the box
A little language bar should appear on the top task bar next to the wifi/bluetooth icons etc.

Click it to choose British-Dell-XPS-M1130  then in the Input menu window you can now Un-tick the British language.

If you would like the windows Logo key to become the COMMAND key then goto

System Prefs > Keyboard + Mouse > Keyboard > Modifier Keys  and set the Option key to COMMAND and the Command key to OPTION (The opposite of defaults)

This will then give similar actions to windows, e.g.WINDOWS KEY+ N = new browser window

Hope this helps someone,

cheers

cRuNcHiE

British_Dell_XPS_M1130_KeyboardLayout.zip

Hello,

First of all, this is my first post on this forum and i have read allot of topics on this forum and have learned allot!

I really admire some of you guys/girls who are running a perfect "hackintosh" system.

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with these specs:

CPU Type: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2200 MHz (11 x 200)

Motherboard: Chipset Intel Crestline-PM PM965

RAM: 4,00GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256 MB DDR3)

Soundcard: SigmaTel STAC9228 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller [b-0]

Hard disk: WDC WD2500BEVS-75UST0 5.400rpm (232 GB, IDE)

Optical station: TEAC DVD+-RW DVW28SLC ATA Device

Wireless: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Network card: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

And at last: Intern bluetooth

I got the Kalyway dvd (KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3) and tryed to install it on a partitioned hard disk, i followed all the steps BUT i do not know how to set up my bios, because it's not even the same as the most guides show on videos and photos.

Can someone please help me? :)

Thank you in advance!

So, after finally getting my install to load up w/o the help of the kaleway disc on my m1530, I now have another problem: I can't get my .dmg files to mount. Any of them.

I know that they are fine considering this is a problem among all the dmg files I've gotten hold of. The error message it gives me is "Device not configured".

I've already tried deleting Extension.kextcache (or Extension.mkext in this case) and /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/ and tried repairing permissions with the kaleway disc. No luck at all.

Hello,

First of all, this is my first post on this forum and i have read allot of topics on this forum and have learned allot!

I really admire some of you guys/girls who are running a perfect "hackintosh" system.

[/color]I got the Kalyway dvd (KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3) and tryed to install it on a partitioned hard disk, i followed all the steps BUT i do not know how to set up my bios, because it's not even the same as the most guides show on videos and photos.

Can someone please help me? :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance!

Don worry about the BIOS settings, all options work no matter which setup you choose because for example DISK in IDE or AHCI mode works.

Of course USB, bluetooth, WiFi should be on.

So, after finally getting my install to load up w/o the help of the kaleway disc on my m1530, I now have another problem: I can't get my .dmg files to mount. Any of them.

I know that they are fine considering this is a problem among all the dmg files I've gotten hold of. The error message it gives me is "Device not configured".

I've already tried deleting Extension.kextcache (or Extension.mkext in this case) and /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/ and tried repairing permissions with the kaleway disc. No luck at all.

where .dmg (or other disk images) can't be mounted is beause system.kext is different version of mack_kernel, if you installed an update and kept the previous kerenl you should put back a previous system.kext.

MacGirl, On the startup page, you mentioned having vanilla 10.5.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext... How did you get this working? on my M1330, my Keyboard and Trackpad will not work with that kext. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for all of your help.

I had that problem as well. to fix it i plugged in a usb keyboard/mouse then installed this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/91282272/PS2_Batt_Working.zip

MacGirl, On the startup page, you mentioned having vanilla 10.5.2 AppleACPIPlatform.kext... How did you get this working? on my M1330, my Keyboard and Trackpad will not work with that kext. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Since the ability to have PS2 resides in AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the vanilla does not have it because obvious reasons you need a third party kext, ACPIPS2Nub.kext is the solution, but you need to change the OSBundleLibraries to match the actual kext versions.

where .dmg (or other disk images) can't be mounted is beause system.kext is different version of mack_kernel, if you installed an update and kept the previous kerenl you should put back a previous system.kext.

Ok.... ehhh I think that would have been with the patching script I had to run to get rid of the HFS+ error.... I really dunno. I've been a Windows person all my life V_V. Just playing with OSX now...

anyways I'm going to say that's what happened, and as a result I did not keep the previous kernel. So my next question will be "so what should I do in this case"?

Ok Everyone, After updating to 10.5.2 i am very happy to say the apple usb ethernet adapters now work. As soonas you plug one in as long as you are running 10.5.2 it picks it up and adds it to your network. I'm so excited now that I don't have to return these to apple and can use them. Thanks for your suggestions and help Macgirl, I'm posting back so that everyone who tried to help me will know that these do in fact work as long as you have 10.5.2, so I take back what I said about apple shafting us. It does clearly state on the package that these are only compatible with the macbook air, but thank god that's not true- perhaps they should change it to compatible only with osx leopard 10.5.2

XpS

Has anyone updated to 10.5.2 yet? I have downloaded the combo update and I am hesitant about installing. I am currently running Vanilla kernel and SMBIOS, as well as EFI (the one from iAKTOS install). I have used JohnnyCarcinogens Nvidia installer and replaced my audio kexts. If I install i need to:

1) delete AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext immediately

2) replace my AppleACPIPlatform.kext and audio kexts

3) repair permissions, delete Extensions.mkext and reboot

Can anyone confirm this? I'd really like to avoid borking my install, so if anyone has successfully updated, please let me know how it's done. Thanks so much!

Mike

Ok.... ehhh I think that would have been with the patching script I had to run to get rid of the HFS+ error.... I really dunno. I've been a Windows person all my life V_V. Just playing with OSX now...

anyways I'm going to say that's what happened, and as a result I did not keep the previous kernel. So my next question will be "so what should I do in this case"?

You could recover the kernel from any of the Install DVDs, also there is one kernel in the SpeedStep kit/package (see 1st post).

Ok Everyone, After updating to 10.5.2 i am very happy to say the apple usb ethernet adapters now work. As soonas you plug one in as long as you are running 10.5.2 it picks it up and adds it to your network. I'm so excited now that I don't have to return these to apple and can use them. Thanks for your suggestions and help Macgirl, I'm posting back so that everyone who tried to help me will know that these do in fact work as long as you have 10.5.2, so I take back what I said about apple shafting us. It does clearly state on the package that these are only compatible with the macbook air, but thank god that's not true- perhaps they should change it to compatible only with osx leopard 10.5.2

XpS

Glad to know it worked.

If it only works with 10.5.2 it could be because it uses AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext available just after 10.5.2 update, so that means that the USB-Ethernet Adapter is a Gigabit and not a 100mbit which uses AppleUSBEthernet.kext.

I will order one of those, my Linksys is partly broke because someone move the ethernet cable and since it has no little cable like the Apple one it broke, also I dont like much the little door it has, I think is very fragile.

Has anyone updated to 10.5.2 yet? I have downloaded the combo update and I am hesitant about installing. I am currently running Vanilla kernel and SMBIOS, as well as EFI (the one from iAKTOS install). I have used JohnnyCarcinogens Nvidia installer and replaced my audio kexts. If I install i need to:

1) delete AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext immediately

2) replace my AppleACPIPlatform.kext and audio kexts

3) repair permissions, delete Extensions.mkext and reboot

Can anyone confirm this? I'd really like to avoid borking my install, so if anyone has successfully updated, please let me know how it's done. Thanks so much!

Mike

I will add the update guide later but those steps are necessary:

but also before reboot edit the following script:

/System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Where it says kextload "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"

should say kextload /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext (if you are using dsmos, most likely with iATKOS or Kalyway) or

should say kextload /System/Library/Extensions/r3d3.kext (if you are using r3d3)

So following the instuctions posted by netkas and macgirl (post above) I was able to successfully intall 10.5.2 update on my inspiron 1420. Updating the Nvidia software via Software Update broke my accelerated graphics, but I simply used johnnycarcinogen's installer again and all is well. I unfortunately get the "There was an error while gathering this information." when I use system profiler. I heard the solution is to restore my SMBIOS kext, but I didn't back it up because I thought I was ok since I was using the Vanilla one. Anyone know how to pull this off the iATKOS dvd using pacifist? Thanks again to netkas and MacGirl for their help.

Mike

I got it to sleep by removing IOUSBFamily.kextPerhaps we can script it to unload IOUSBFamily, let the script sleep while the laptop sleeps, after the laptop comes back on when we power up, the script stops sleeping and reloads the kext?

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 with Vanilla and EFI

Ok, so I got a M1530.

Tried iaTKOS and KALYWAY. Neither seems to work. iATKOS can't seems to do the bootloader; both EFI and

otherwise seem to fail in the Darwin Utility as in it can't "unmouth disk" etc... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Both didn't work for me on the initial install. It wasn't until I manually installed a boot loader onto the partition (using dd, startupdisk, bless). Search the forums for it.

Both didn't work for me on the initial install. It wasn't until I manually installed a boot loader onto the partition (using dd, startupdisk, bless). Search the forums for it.

Could you give me a bit more info about how to go about that? search the forums for whaT?

Thanks a lot.