[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hello,

I finally manage to get TM back!!! The problem was with system.kext. Do not copy back it from 10.5.2. Leave the new system.kext. Then, TM will work perfectly (at least it worked for me!)

Good luck and thank you Sietepicos

Ok, i've installed update on my desktop computer, with an 8600gt: i've restored GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, Geforce.kext and GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, to get it working as before. This last kext appears necessary for 8xxx series.

EDIT: If someone can confirm for xps, thanks.

That works but decreases performance significantly.

really Ive looked around a bit for information on how to install the sound perfectly but to be honest im not really sure how to install kexts, ive looked everywhere but i cant find a guide! the sound is really important for me becauase i only really want to demo logic 8. i have used the automatic installed to install the 9228 (m1530) drivers but sound goes after reboot and sleep doesnt work. i dont mind having to reinstall the drivers everytime, i really just want a method i can do to allow me to get sound. ive tried the sleep and changing the output to headphones but no luck. any ideas?

also, when i put the system into sleep it restarts my laptop so that i have to choose what partition i boot from. is there any issues with chosing another os like xp instead of choosing ox86?

Ok, i've installed update on my desktop computer, with an 8600gt: i've restored GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, Geforce.kext and GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, to get it working as before. This last kext appears necessary for 8xxx series.

EDIT: If someone can confirm for xps, thanks.

Thanks, it works great, now I've got quartz extreme.

But, like a lot of 10.5.3 users, performance decreases significantly...

What can we do?

Thanks

Hi guys, just wanted to give everyone an update with what I have recently done, I downloaded iAtkos 2.0i and have so far had great results in comparison to 1.0ir2. Out of the box I installed the main system, as well as selected SATA support under system drivers and that was all. Since then, the computer rebooted great - never had to do any cpu's=1 or boot flags. I found that my battery meter works, bluetooth works, wifi and it installed 10.5.2 (2.0i is 10.5.2). Anyhow catch was didn't have to modify the system at all and installation was very easy, so if anyone has been having troubles give iAtkos2.0i a shot. I will repost if I run into any bugs I pick up.

EDIT: ok maybe I jumped the gun, I installed Adium for IM and now it keeps crashing and "quitting unexpectantly" Anyone know why this might occur? Do I need a special kernel or anything?

Hi guys, just wanted to give everyone an update with what I have recently done, I downloaded iAtkos 2.0i and have so far had great results in comparison to 1.0ir2. Out of the box I installed the main system, as well as selected SATA support under system drivers and that was all. Since then, the computer rebooted great - never had to do any cpu's=1 or boot flags. I found that my battery meter works, bluetooth works, wifi and it installed 10.5.2 (2.0i is 10.5.2). Anyhow catch was didn't have to modify the system at all and installation was very easy, so if anyone has been having troubles give iAtkos2.0i a shot. I will repost if I run into any bugs I pick up.

EDIT: ok maybe I jumped the gun, I installed Adium for IM and now it keeps crashing and "quitting unexpectantly" Anyone know why this might occur? Do I need a special kernel or anything?

Which model Dell are you using. I went back to Vista as I could never get the dual boot to work and sound would come and go. SO wish I could get Leopard full time on this machine.

Thanks, it works great, now I've got quartz extreme.

But, like a lot of 10.5.3 users, performance decreases significantly...

What can we do?

Thanks

Strange, i've good performance on my desktop computer; maybe it's only connected to mobile video cards.

I also reported same behaivor with 10.5.3 Nvidia kexts on my AMD rig, it has a Geforce 6600, which kexts shoud I restore there?

Honestly, i don't know. Maybe NVDANV40Hal.kext, witch control this chip.

Which model Dell are you using. I went back to Vista as I could never get the dual boot to work and sound would come and go. SO wish I could get Leopard full time on this machine.

XPS M1330, Im going to try it with a few different installation options to figure out why this Adium program wont work - It worked great on my other distributions I had. I think I need the 9.2.2 Kernel I'll try that and post back with update

Hi runnning fine on inspiron 640m

but it seems slower in booting up.... shutdown i get the famous you need to restart computer.

I also see at bootup crash report for speedstep application all the time.

Here is my pic

post-179170-1212234850_thumb.jpg

XPS M1330, Im going to try it with a few different installation options to figure out why this Adium program wont work - It worked great on my other distributions I had. I think I need the 9.2.2 Kernel I'll try that and post back with update

Adium and CandyBar cause kernel protection failure with all available kernels under the new iATKOS 2.0i, however the 10.5.3 update completely resolves that. Go figure!

Of course the update must be properly initiated and deployed using a very simple method that is identical to 10.5.1 -- 10.5.2 update.

Firstly, run this command as a superuser in sudo (sudo -s): while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Secondly, run the MacOSXUpd10.5.3.pkg, do not restart yet. The previows command monitors the system for this kext and disables it as soon as it is installed by the 10.5.3 update.

Thirdly, when the update completes, return to your current ternminal session and terrminate the script by a command of Control C then modify the new script with this command: nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 Using the arrow keys, locate the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace is with dsmos.kext

To save the modified script press Control O and Control X to exit, done! Back up extensions and install on a spare partition if possible.

These kexts an files should be backed up and then restored after 10.5.3 update.

from 10.5.2 or previous working installation.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (if you use modded version, PS2 Keyboard and Trackpad are supported with this or with ACPIPS2nub)

AppleHDA.kext (sound)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (to have proper report in System Profiler)

All Nvidia kexts Geforce* NVDA* (10.5.3 decreased performance)

AppleUSBEHCI.kext (to maintain sleep ability)

PowerManagement.bundle (Battery status)

Hi Macgirl, what version of AppleUSBEHCI.kext do we use to have sleep working? or where can I get a known working version?

I used the ones you posted for the 8400M GS

Those only work for internal and VGA but not for internal and DVI (or HDMI in the case of XPS M1330)

Later I'll post the one used for Internal (LCD) and DVI (HDMI)

Hi Macgirl, what version of AppleUSBEHCI.kext do we use to have sleep working? or where can I get a known working version?

The version that Superhai made, he has an easy installer, just check his signature.

Hi,

I have just updated my new laptop XPS M1530 to 10.5.3 without major problems using JaS OSx86 10.5.3 Combo Update (demonoid). Before update, everything was working OK (except of course shut down/restart and sound, that required the "sleep" method for working). After JaS update method GFX came out perfect without CI/QE problems (but maybe with not as good performance as before with 10.5.2; have to check). I had to re-enable sound and Power management (thanks to Sonotone installer) and keyboard layout (with the spanish layout from macgirl).

I tried to make a Gfx string for the 8600m GT, but I have failed (and I already have some experience doing it with my desktops).

On the other hand, I managed to make a Gfx string for audio and it works. Previously I had always problems and had to "sleep" the laptop to recover it. Now I always get sound (or at least, I have been really lucky).

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/6MB Cache)

MEMORY: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

DISPLAY: WXGA+ 15.4 (1440x900) & 2MP Camera

VIDEO: 256MB DDR2 NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

HDD: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

WIRELESS: Dell 1505 TrueMobile/Broadcom

AUDIO: Sigmatel HD 2.0 -- 9228 (in windows it appears as 9225?)

BLUETOOTH: Dell 355 Internal 2.0 + EDR

Mac 10.5.3/Vanilla 9.3.0

Leo4all v3 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 JaS OSx86 10.5.3 Combo Update

Adium and CandyBar cause kernel protection failure with all available kernels under the new iATKOS 2.0i, however the 10.5.3 update completely resolves that. Go figure!

Of course the update must be properly initiated and deployed using a very simple method that is identical to 10.5.1 -- 10.5.2 update.

Firstly, run this command as a superuser in sudo (sudo -s): while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Secondly, run the MacOSXUpd10.5.3.pkg, do not restart yet. The previows command monitors the system for this kext and disables it as soon as it is installed by the 10.5.3 update.

Thirdly, when the update completes, return to your current ternminal session and terrminate the script by a command of Control C then modify the new script with this command: nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 Using the arrow keys, locate the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace is with dsmos.kext

To save the modified script press Control O and Control X to exit, done! Back up extensions and install on a spare partition if possible.

What is the "Sleep 1" part of it? I made it bold in your suggestions, I was happy with 10.5.1, but now from the sounds of it reinstalling 10.5.2 and moving to 10.5.3 using this method is the way to do it - to get my programs to work, can anyone give me their thoughts that 10.5.3 is pretty good/stable to use over 10.5.1? Also, did you use nvinstaller v.41 for your graphics?

EDIT: Also could someone verify for me, if it is ok to upgrade the iATkos 2.0i 10.5.2 build to 10.5.3 using the KALYWAY 10.5.3 comboupdate & kernels? or do I need to use the Jas version? Thanks

Got all of the 10.5.3 NV/GF kexts to work with M1530. If you copy some of the files, performance gets slower, but with all of the files performance is at least same as before.

There are some tests indicating some performance improvements over Core Image: http://www.barefeats.com/imp04.html

To use the new kexts without losing QE/CI, you need to set "IOProbeScore" in the Info.plist files of whatever injector you are using (NVinject etc) to 0. I used NVKush with the modified NVCAP.

What is the "Sleep 1" part of it? I made it bold in your suggestions, I was happy with 10.5.1, but now from the sounds of it reinstalling 10.5.2 and moving to 10.5.3 using this method is the way to do it - to get my programs to work, can anyone give me their thoughts that 10.5.3 is pretty good/stable to use over 10.5.1? Also, did you use nvinstaller v.41 for your graphics?

EDIT: Also could someone verify for me, if it is ok to upgrade the iATkos 2.0i 10.5.2 build to 10.5.3 using the KALYWAY 10.5.3 comboupdate & kernels? or do I need to use the Jas version? Thanks

Sleep 1 part tells to te system to wait (sleep) for 1 sencond. Try your self, open terminal an just write sleep 10, the after 10 seconds the prompt will appear again unles you break it wuit control-C.

You can check almost any command if tyou write "man" and then the command you wan to learn, "man sleep" you display the manual of the sleep command.

Got all of the 10.5.3 NV/GF kexts to work with M1530. If you copy some of the files, performance gets slower, but with all of the files performance is at least same as before.

There are some tests indicating some performance improvements over Core Image: http://www.barefeats.com/imp04.html

To use the new kexts without losing QE/CI, you need to set "IOProbeScore" in the Info.plist files of whatever injector you are using (NVinject etc) to 0. I used NVKush with the modified NVCAP.

I gues it varies with the cards, on 8400 and my 6600 the performance decreased to 13 OpenGL fps from 450 on the Laptop (8400) and from 900 on the AMD (6600).

Also if you are using gfx string you don't loose QE/CI, not sure if IOProbeScore is in the layout of the gfx strin, will check later and make tests.

EDIT:

Checked it, no IOProbeScore on gfx string layout, should this key could increase performance with the 10.5.3 Nvidia kexts?

Sleep 1 part tells to te system to wait (sleep) for 1 sencond. Try your self, open terminal an just write sleep 10, the after 10 seconds the prompt will appear again unles you break it wuit control-C.

You can check almost any command if tyou write "man" and then the command you wan to learn, "man sleep" you display the manual of the sleep command.

I gues it varies with the cards, on 8400 and my 6600 the performance decreased to 13 OpenGL fps from 450 on the Laptop (8400) and from 900 on the AMD (6600).

Also if you are using gfx string you don't loose QE/CI, not sure if IOProbeScore is in the layout of the gfx strin, will check later and make tests.

EDIT:

Checked it, no IOProbeScore on gfx string layout, should this key could increase performance with the 10.5.3 Nvidia kexts?

Well thank you for the explanation macgirl, makes sense with the Sleep 1/terminal. Got it installed on an external and updating to 10.5.3 now, thanks for the help everyone!

Macgirl,

The power management kext on the first post didnt work for me, I'll try superhai's later.

But, with the 9.3 kernel (I did vanilla with the kalyway installer)... I cant open a few progams, like numbers, pages, and Keynote, they just kinda freeze as they are opening. I have a feeling that my kernel is bad. Which one should I change to.

Thanks,

Jake

I don't think that the kernel has to do with it, but you can try the kalyway package of kernel (choose modbin).I dont have iWork here, I'll test it later in my other hacksI don't think that the kernel has to do with it, but you can try the kalyway package of kernel (choose modbin).I dont have iWork here, I'll test it later in my other hacks

Did anyone have trouble with the mouse? I cannot remember now if mine was erratic before I install the two-finger scrolling bit from the Dell file collection or if it was always that way. I believe I installed a script that makes it a bit more manageable, though the scrolling still isn't pixel for pixel. It seems as if the mouse jumps a pixel or two every two or three pixel. Basically, it doesn't feel smooth.

Is there a solution?

just as a sidenote, i had problems with AppleAHCIPort upon reboot,

tried first to reuse my old 10.5.1 kext, but that didnt worked out,

so i simply replaced all my Extensions folder with the 10.5.1 one.

Turned out that this makes my X3100 defunctional, so replaced

these ones with the 10.5.3-- works at least for now. still, i have

some missing kernel functions in com.apple.iokit (or so)-- hence

usb does not work. so updating 10.5.1-->3 seems a bit more

complicated.

Those only work for internal and VGA but not for internal and DVI (or HDMI in the case of XPS M1330)

Later I'll post the one used for Internal (LCD) and DVI (HDMI)

I am using a VGA monitor, so I don't get it. maybe it has something to do with my graphics card to begin with, or maybe it's the Dell monitor, I don't know

I've got 10.5.3 installed and everything works except shutdown, scrolling, and sound. This is on a Vostro 1400.... some of you claim to have sound in 10.5.3 with the 1400 or 1420? By what method?

No matter what I do I cannot get sound to work, either in headphone port or speaker. If I could get sound maybe this would be a usable venture. I've tried installed STAC9228 from the DellPackage 0.29 and from the link at the beginning of the thread. Neither work.

I'm fairly certain that once upon a time I had sound from a headphone jack in iatkos1.0 so this is annoying >:[