[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

You can leave the Media Direct partition it wont hurt Mac OS.

Once you get Mac OS running maybe you don't want Media Direct anymore because it boot faster than Media Direct.

AFAIK Linux can be installed on logical Partitions.

Edit: Oki fixed..as for the login thingie..forgot leopard doesn't likes empty passwords

Open the terminal, write  "sudo passwd". After inserting your password, it will ask you twice for the new root password. After it's set, you'll be able to log-in as root, even in the main login window :wacko:

Instead of waiting for the display to sleep (1 minute at least) you can set a "hot corner" to make the display sleeps, in System Preferences -> Exposé & Spaces

in Exposé tab on Active Screen Corners.

I found a lil app that will make that easier, all it odes is to put screen on sleep, you configure it to load at login and no more evil sleep display corner. It works for me like a charm.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display

Open the terminal, write  "sudo passwd". After inserting your password, it will ask you twice for the new root password. After it's set, you'll be able to log-in as root, even in the main login window :wacko:

Thankees, after i found that sudo needed password i changed the root one too xD

Hey all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and figured it was high time to say THANKS!. I have my rig pretty much up to the current "state-of-m1330-art". I've chosen sleep and vanilla over SpeedStep and/or Shutdown/Restart, but everything else is pretty much working.

• Mac OS X 10.5.2, PC-EFI V8, vanilla kernel 9.2.2, all Apple software updates
  • Dell XPS m1330 (sleep works with USB fix; restart/shutdown, no)
  • Intel Core 2 T7500, 2.2 GHz
  • 4 GB RAM, 667 MHz
  • 200GB HD, 7200 RPM
  • nVidia 8400 GS (works with dual display with gfx string)
  • STAC 9228 (works with sleep "manual" hack)
  • Dell Truemobile 1505 (works)
  • Intel 4965n (no)
  • Synaptics touchpad (works with FFScrollDaemon)
  • Media keys (work)
  • Battery meter (works)
  • Fingerprint scanner (works with UPEK Protecter Suite)
  • VMWare Fusion (works with on-disk Vista partition)

I hope to keep abreast of the latest developments and contribute back when and where and can.

Cheers!

Thanks to:

macgirl - what can I say? You rock!!!

uphuck & osx86.turk team - iATKOS 1.0ir2

netkas - EFI and how-tos on 10.5.2 upgrade

johnniecarcinogen - nVidia drivers

jaro12345 - PowerManagement bundle

Superhai - USB fix for sleep

ranova - 2fingerscrolling

FINALLY!!

ok, just for everyone else looking knows.. here is my working setup (dell xps m1330)... installed via Leo4All v2, 9.22 vanilla... to boot the system, i have to boot with -f... everything works EXCEPT sleep and bluetooth, neither of which i have tried to fix yet. i applied the HDA patched kext and audio works (i have to hit it into sleep once, which doesnt work, but then the audio starts working!)...

THANK YOU so much to everyone on this thread -- yall have helped me tons -- i look forward to playing with this some more and making my setup even better!

IMHO, i believe that Leo4All v2 is now the best available install DVD for our XPS systems... i tried both kalyway (10.5.2) and iatkos and NEITHER could deliver near the results that Leo4All was able to deliver OTB for this system... i'm loving it!

Open the terminal, write  "sudo passwd". After inserting your password, it will ask you twice for the new root password. After it's set, you'll be able to log-in as root, even in the main login window :D

AFAIK even if you change root password if the account is not enabled you can login as root.

Hey all,

Thanks to:

macgirl - what can I say? You rock!!!

uphuck & osx86.turk team - iATKOS 1.0ir2

netkas - EFI and how-tos on 10.5.2 upgrade

johnniecarcinogen - nVidia drivers

jaro12345 - PowerManagement bundle

Superhai - USB fix for sleep

ranova - 2fingerscrolling

Thank you :D

Leo4Allv3 is actually much better. Did a fresh install last week, everything worked immediately, except the Bushed Intel wireless of course.

Why are you booting with -f by the way?

Did you install the Nvidia Graphics Package?

I tried those kext and didn't work :D

Anyway, I tried the Beta 10.5.3 Nvidia Kexts (now with OGL bundle) and didn't fix the shutdown/restart, and the worst thing is that they decrease the performance, maybe the final 10.5.3 would be better.

Did anyone tried installing Leo4all on a Vostro 1500 (or similiar) ?? I get weird boot kernel errors, can't figure out the problem.

The only clue is: on kalyway, the kernel says IOAPIC vector from 24:60, booting the doomed Leo4all install dvd i get IOAPIC vector 0:23, is it some weird kind of EFI problem ?!

AFAIK even if you change root password if the account is not enabled you can login as root.

Thank you :D

Did you install the Nvidia Graphics Package?

I tried those kext and didn't work :rolleyes:

Anyway, I tried the Beta 10.5.3 Nvidia Kexts (now with OGL bundle) and didn't fix the shutdown/restart, and the worst thing is that they decrease the performance, maybe the final 10.5.3 would be better.

The 10.5.2 NVidia kexts? Worked fine in the Leo4all V3, the same as V2 and the Kalyway distros. If you mean 10.5.3 kexts, then no, I haven't used those at all, can you link me to them? I'd like to try those despite everything.

Apparently, installing OSX on various PC's is now my full time hobby...

New problems...Please Help...

XPS M1530

I used to use the oldest method to get my sound card working which only gives me sound form the speaker or the first head jack. However after replacing those two kexts with the one posted on the first thread I lost my sound while everything in the system preferences seems to be fine. What shall I do now? I cannot find AppleAzalia.kext anywhere...

BTW:After installing Kalyway 10.5.2 Bluetooth often fails to start but there are a few chances that it will work... Anyone knows what is the solution? Thanks in tons!!

First of all, thanks to this forum to make possible my dream (To have an OSX system in my notebook)

I've read (in this topic) some problems related to drivers (escencially) in my case I installed leopard succesfully (after 5 tries), and I looked into the thread to get kext. I have no problems with video, bluetooth, camera. After that i ran the kext of sound, keyboard, Wireless and IO USB. Ive got some problems with all of them, mainly with sound driver (and I know its an experiment), on the other hand I realize some people in this forum fixed the keyboard problem, I downloaded PS2 V3 and it didnt work. has anybody know how can i fixed (at least) this problem.

BTW. what kind of wireless card can i buy to surf on the internet in leopard (I live in Mexico city)? intel card isnt working properly and I want to find an option. I have a dell xps 1530

THANK YOU again specially macgirl to submit this thread.

First of all, thanks to this forum to make possible my dream (To have an OSX system in my notebook)I've read (in this topic) some problems related to drivers (escencially) in my case I installed leopard succesfully (after 5 tries), and I looked into the thread to get kext. I have no problems with video, bluetooth, camera. After that i ran the kext of sound, keyboard, Wireless and IO USB. Ive got some problems with all of them, mainly with sound driver (and I know its an experiment), on the other hand I realize some people in this forum fixed the keyboard problem, I downloaded PS2 V3 and it didnt work. has anybody know how can i fixed (at least) this problem.BTW. what kind of wireless card can i buy to surf on the internet in leopard (I live in Mexico city)? intel card isnt working properly and I want to find an option. I have a dell xps 1530THANK YOU again specially macgirl to submit this thread.
ACPIPS2Nub.kext fixes the keyboard issue. The sound is a crapshoot, there are some prepatched STAC9828 kexts on this board, it is thus far the most reliant method, use the Kexthelperb7 to install kexts, virtually fool proof. Recommended WLANs among other components are found at the top of the first page of this thread. The best is 1505 Dell Truemobile (Broadcom) as it is fast (N) and recognized as an Airport card so it works without any additional kexts. I myself have finally managed to nag one out of Dell, it is on its way, I can not wait! Everything that you may possibly need for your XPS OSx86 installation is indeed found within this thread, if it isn't then it is probably simply unavailable, so just READ through the thread!
Leo4All V3 has newer Nvidia kexts than 10.5.2 or Leo Graphics Update, and those didn't work for jake123 or me.If you want to try the the Nvidia Beta 10.5.3 kexts go to this thread, they are there posted by aqua-mac: Dual 9800 GTX 512 Working in OSX86!
Ah, I was not aware of that. My apologies. I merely used the 10.5.2 NVidia kexts. If you say that the newer ones do not offer improvement, then I will not attempt them. What is an expected Geekbench score for our systems? Mine averages around 3500, I am certain that it ought to be better on the T9300 with 4 gigs of RAM. The specs are very close to the Macbook Pro's, short of the 512 MB video card, mine is only 258 MB but for $2,000 less than the Mac, it is an acceptable loss. Where does Apple get off complaining that there is piracy of their software and suing everything in sight while charging literally triple of what everyone else charges?!?

BTW. what kind of wireless card can i buy to surf on the internet in leopard (I live in Mexico city)? intel card isnt working properly and I want to find an option. I have a dell xps 1530

THANK YOU again specially macgirl to submit this thread.

I also live in Mexico city, I oredered a Dell Truemobile Wireless 1505 card (is Draft N compatible) on ebay for $34.95 plus shipping, it worked out of the box, no need to install anything more.

Fortunately the card is very tiny and shipping is higher than US but it came 2 weeks later after I bought it.

1390 and 1490 cards are cheaper but not all sellers send to Mexico.

I managed to successfully dual-boot Leopard and XP using MediaDirect button.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=102227

It has perfectly works with my vostro using dell Media direct 3.3 and Windows VISTA!

Thank you for the tip

To optimize this, does anyone here know how to change the awful Dell Media Direct picture? If yes, it would be so good!

Furthermore, do you know how to remove the difference of time between Vista and OS X (OS X considers the computer time as GMT then add or remove time according to your location on the earth whereas Windows considers that computer time is your time)?

It has perfectly works with my vostro using dell Media direct 3.3 and Windows VISTA!

Thank you for the tip

To optimize this, does anyone here know how to change the awful Dell Media Direct picture? If yes, it would be so good!

Furthermore, do you know how to remove the difference of time between Vista and OS X (OS X considers the computer time as GMT then add or remove time according to your location on the earth whereas Windows considers that computer time is your time)?

You are welcome. No, I haven't done anything with it, although I remember reading somewhere on this forum how to synchronize clocks btw Windows and Mac OSX.

Another tip for today: you can turn off bluetooth from Windows that is run from Leopard by means of VMWare.

• Start Windows by means of VMWare. Connect bluetooth to Windows (simultaneously it will disconnect from Mac OSX).
  • Right click on the Bluetooth icon in the lower-left part of your desktop.
  • Select "Additional settings" (it may read differently).
  • Choose "Diagnostics" and select the device.
  • Press "Turn off".
  • If it is not turned off (the bluetooth led is still lit on the notebook panel), turn it on and then off. The led will go out.

Note that it will stay turned off all the time that Windows is emulated on Mac OSX. Once you finish your Windows session, or unplug bluetooth from VMWare, it will turn on again.

I've switched the hardrives in my notebook and the Bluetooth is no longer detected in either Vista nor Leopard, nothing else was altered. Can someone offer a reason as to why this is occuring? Both hardrives are almost identical except the brand and size, Samsung 160 GB was replaced with the 250 GB Fujitsu.

YeYe, try this to solve your clock problem. I used the Mac OS solution rather than the windows registry hack and everything has worked without a glitch.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...iversal_for_RTC

YeYe, try this to solve your clock problem. I used the Mac OS solution rather than the windows registry hack and everything has worked without a glitch.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...iversal_for_RTC

[b]Leopard: Mac OS X Responsibility[/b] In Leopard, /etc/rc.local, /etc/rc.shutdown.local and StartupItems startup/shutdown mechanisms are deprecated. 

Instead, the following Leopard-friendly solution will toggle the clock between local time and UTC at start-up and shut-down times. You will need [i]Administrator[/i] privileges when performing this procedure. 

1. Create new file /sbin/localtime-toggle with the following contents: 

#!/bin/sh

to_utc() {
echo "localtime-toggle: Toggling to UTC."
date `date -u +%m%d%H%M%Y`
}

to_localtime() {
echo "localtime-toggle: Toggling to localtime."
date -u `date +%m%d%H%M%Y`
}

trap 'to_localtime; exit' term
to_utc
{ while true; do sleep 86400; done; } &
wait
2. Ensure that localtime-toggle is executable: 

chmod +x /sbin/localtime-toggle
3. Create new file /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.osx86.localtime-toggle.plist with the following contents: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"]http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd[/url]">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Label</key>
  <string>org.osx86.localtime-toggle</string>
  <key>Program</key>
  <string>/sbin/localtime-toggle</string>
  <key>KeepAlive</key>
  <true/>
  <key>RunAtLoad</key>
  <true/>
  <key>HopefullyExitsFirst</key>
  <true/>
</dict>
</plist>
4. Reboot. 

At this point, your computer's clock should correctly be set to UTC as Leopard boots, and reset back to local time as Leopard shuts down.

I don't know what does /sbin/localtime-toggle mean ? Is it the filename?

then, I've tried to do this with textedit and it says me that I've not enough permissions. How can I be in administrator (My user is the admin of my mac I think!)?

Moreover, how do I do chmod -x etc... ?

Edit: I think I've succeeded using terminal with sudo -s, then nano ... Was it the good way?

Edit 2: Unfortunately, it didn't resolve my problem of difference of time! As soon as I'm on Vista, the time is 2h less (since I live in GMT +2)

Problem: After restarted my Vostro 1400 and chosing MacOSX to startup, it results in the dreaded 'HFS+ partition error.'

The Machine:

Dell Vostro 1400

1.4ghz Core2 Duo

2GB RAM

120 GB Hard Drive

Nividia 8400GS M

Partitions:

1- NTFS 75GB

2- HFS+ (Journal) 15GB

3- Ext2 15GB

4- FAT32 >6GB

The other OS living in my computer:

Vista SP1

The new roommate trying to move in:

Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD

Process:

- Used GParted Live CD to shrink NTFS for new partitions. Installed MacOSX. Resulted in a b0 error.

- Wiped drive and installed only MacOS X. Resulted in a b0 error unless I booted off ot DVD. Sometimes it booted off the DVD sometimes the DVD handed it over to the haned over to the hard drive. I know that Kalyway works.

- Wiped drive again and partitioned hard drive using GParted, Diskparted on the Vista install disc, and Disk Utilities on OSX install disk.

- Installed Vista. Works.

- Installed OSX. b0 error.

- Used Diskpart fix to get Vista partition active again.

- Used BCDEdit to alter BCD file and placed chain0 at c:\

- Restarted computer and chose MacOS X from prompt. Results in the dreaded 'HFS+ partition error.'

- Used fdisk in Terminal to edit MBR record to make sure id=af and make partition active. restarted computer and still results in HFS+ partition error.

- Searched the forums and the internet for more solutions came up with pretty much the same stuff found on this page.

http://www.henrycipolla.com/blog/2008/04/s...-vista-and-osx/

and Devilhood's guide.

I think that pretty much sums up what I did without getting into more detail. Does anyone have a solution on getting the Kalyway run? If not, I might reformat the HFS+ partition and start from scratch and go over it step by step again. Thanks in advance!

--AMDG--

Macgirl, thanks for the guide!! i have installed OS X but still facing some problems

i am using m1330 with T7700 cpu and 8400M GS NV card

i installed OS X with Leo4allV3

i also installed component package

1, i am not able to use my dvd-rom in the OS, it said no device. (MAT{censored}A DVD+-RW UJ 857G ATA Device)

2, sound is not working atall i have copyed the moded kext into extention but it said it's not installed properly, and i can't find AppleAzalia in the folder, i have also installed all audio pack from the component package. didn't use helper at the first place...... now got sound logo but no sound

3, won't shutdown or restart, it quit OS X then stay black forever (because of NV driver,.....anyway to change this??)

4, bypassed login

5, no ethanet or wireless ( i know this won't works from the guide but i am hoping someone might got a solution)

i did tried to search for the answer but i might miss out somthing, i hope someone could help me with these problems, sorry to bother you guys!