[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Well, after installing and re-installing ad nauseum, I seem to have working sleep! Here's how I did it (with a Vostro 1500 x3100):

Installed iAtkosR2. Upgraded to 10.5.2 with the combo update following the instructions from Netkas (and in this thread). I then patched the audio and my 1395 Wifi card. I installed all Software Updates except for the Time Machine update (which breaks my wifi compatibility for some reason. . . maybe I should pick up the 1390 or 1490?)

I do experience the repeating key upon waking issue which MacGirl mentioned- but if I hit a key it seems to fix the issue (a small workaround). The keyboard had been unresponsive after waking, but ever since changing from AHCI to SATA in BIOS and changing USB emulation mode to 'off', the issue hasn't recurred (knock on wood!) Hopefully my luck holds out!

BTW, now that I have a nearly fully functional install, what is the best way to back it up? Should I boot iAtkos and use Disk Utility to create an image of the drive? Can disk utility even see an external drive when booted from the iAtkos disc? AFAIK, the Vostro won't boot OSX86 from an external drive, will it?

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum!

Hi Macgirl,

Can I please confirm if NVInstaller is required when using PC_EFIv8?

Thanks

NVinstaller is not dependent of PC EFI V8, you can install with NVinstaller or other like the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 no matter if PC EFI V8 is installed or not, the only difference with PC EFI V8 is that you can use Vanilla Kernel (among other Vanilla kexts) and gfx string.

Well, after installing and re-installing ad nauseum, I seem to have working sleep! Here's how I did it (with a Vostro 1500 x3100):

Installed iAtkosR2. Upgraded to 10.5.2 with the combo update following the instructions from Netkas (and in this thread). I then patched the audio and my 1395 Wifi card. I installed all Software Updates except for the Time Machine update (which breaks my wifi compatibility for some reason. . . maybe I should pick up the 1390 or 1490?)

I do experience the repeating key upon waking issue which MacGirl mentioned- but if I hit a key it seems to fix the issue (a small workaround). The keyboard had been unresponsive after waking, but ever since changing from AHCI to SATA in BIOS and changing USB emulation mode to 'off', the issue hasn't recurred (knock on wood!) Hopefully my luck holds out!

BTW, now that I have a nearly fully functional install, what is the best way to back it up? Should I boot iAtkos and use Disk Utility to create an image of the drive? Can disk utility even see an external drive when booted from the iAtkos disc? AFAIK, the Vostro won't boot OSX86 from an external drive, will it?

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum!

I like to user Partition Managers like Acronis or Gparted Live CD, I use the first one if the disk is MBR because is faster to boot but it does not work on GUID disks so in this case I use Gparted.

If you want to have an image of your disk yes the best is the Disk Utility to create a DMG, it even could make a compressed image or/and with Encryption.

You can use dd but you need to know certain parameters to use that command, If you want a faster way because it only copies the files and not the whole partition there is a command called ditto, it copies whole directories, I used it a lot even with my VMware installation to place my Native installation to a bigger partition since is no easy to grow a Mac Partition on hacks, and the command is easier than the dd, "ditto source destination"

this may be really obvious to everyone but i really don't know which one is better :disable multi-core in bios (which will later show up an Intel core 2 solo) or set cpus=1? Can someone help me?

The best is to use cpus=1, but in our hardware is not necessary (most recent generation of Dell laptops I mean) unless you want to install Mac OS 10.4.8 because from 10.4.9 we have no problem with the both cores.

@phil a meant:

one very nice way to so is via linux, just using dd to dump

the whole thing into a big file-- at least i do so ;)

You don't need Linux, dd is also in Darwin and Mac OS, you can use it with you native installation or with the Installation DVD, but you can also use ditto to copy files instead of partitions or disk utility in command line mode that allows you to create imaged of your disk with compression or/and with encryption.

Hello all, i just finally after 2 days figured out how to get leopard and vista to dual boot, all was well. I was installing the dell package on the first post, and it told me to reboot, so i shut it down and now it loads a bunch of text and tells me that i need to hold my powerbutton down to resert it. ive tried this, how do i get it to boot back up? i dont want to have to do a clean install. oh and im running on a

m1530 2.6ghz dual core

4 gb 667mhz ram

nvidia-256mb

Hello,

I have installed a kaliway 10.5.1 on my vostro 1700 (with a t8300 and 8600m gt).

Actually, I download the kaliway combo update 10.5.2

The problem is the sound doesn't work...

What can I do to have the sound working?

Thanks

Nicolas

ps: sorry for my english, i'm french

EDIT: I have done what the tuto tell me to do, and now, it's okay

I need some help. I just got xps 1530 and i would like try to instaling OS X. I read some post but I could not find anything where to start?what options to pick from bootdvd? I have kalyway 10.5.2. I'm new to this, please help. thanks

Got Leopard installed, now need to get to work sound and shutdown/reboot.

After reading this forum everthing starts to make sence.

Thanks to all

I think I have a tips for you. Coolbook seem to be a good option for better battery life for me. It is not free, but you can download it and without registering it looks like it adds a lowpower profile when you are on battery power which seem like is giving me around one hour extra battery time, (it sets cpu speed lower and voltage lower)

I haven't had time to test it much, but I think it might be an option worth checking.

I have tested this application on my vostro 1700 (c2duo t8300, 2go ram, 160 @7200tr/min ...)

If I start the computer directly on the battery, instead of 2.4ghz, since I have installed this application, this command: sysctl -a | grep freq tell me that my t8300 is @ 1.6

But if I put the computer on the sector, the cpu remains at 1.6

If I start the computer directly on the sector, my cpu is at 2.4ghz, but if I put the computer on the battery (I remove the power cable), my cpu remains at 2.4ghz

Can I have my cpu at 1.6 when I am on the battery and 2.4 when I am on sector (without the speedstep kernel and without restart my computer)?

Thanks

Nicolas

The best is to use cpus=1, but in our hardware is not necessary (most recent generation of Dell laptops I mean) unless you want to install Mac OS 10.4.8 because from 10.4.9 we have no problem with the both cores.

Mine is not a recent one :) so I have to use either ways. But when I set cpus=1, multicore enabled, System profile showed up:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 0

Total Number Of Cores: 1

And when I disable multicore in Bios, it shows:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Solo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 1

That's why I'm still wondering about.

Hello,

I've a problem:

Sleep was working on my computer, but didn't when I closed the screen.

So, I tested the application of superhai: TurnLidOn.

The problem is, now, my computer doesn't want to wake from sleep.

He goes to sleep, and when I want it to wake, the computer wake but the screen remains black.

What can I do to have my sleep working?

Thanks

Nicolas

ps: and, what can I do to have the integrated microphone working?

sorry, i think this have been at least been discussed,

but i was unable to locate the corresponding post.

problem is: attaching usb devices after login dont show up.

i first used the 10.5.2 native kexts (or whatever i suppose

to be native in my iatkos installation), and now used superhais

one, but no luck until now. does anyone know how to get

usb working as expected? thanks in advance.

Macgirl,

Remember that one time that I was able to get sleep... and no one else could.

Now I have the oppsite... Shutdown/Reboot work!!! :), but Sleep doesnt!

I tried using superhai's USB fix, bu tthat didn't fix it.. do you know of anyother fixes... BTW I'm on Leo4All v3, along with that Dell pack installer... installing OS X on this takes under 1 hours

Just installed leo4allV2 on my dell m1330 with netkas 9.2.2, and actually RESTART AND SHUTDOWN WORK!

Unfortunately they stopped working as soon as I installed the video drivers for the NVIDIA 8xxx card (from Sonotones package)

Maybe one you programmers can solve the problem?

Just installed leo4allV2 on my dell m1330 with netkas 9.2.2, and actually RESTART AND SHUTDOWN WORK!

Unfortunately they stopped working as soon as I installed the video drivers for the NVIDIA 8xxx card (from Sonotones package)

This is a well known issue which is currently insolvable!

BTW, Jacky123, did you install graphic drivers (I assume that yes)?

This is a well known issue which is currently insolvable!

BTW, Jacky123, did you install graphic drivers (I assume that yes)?

I used PCI EFI for graphics drivers... and installed the 10.5.2 drivers via Leo4All v3, anyways.. I still have reboot/shutdown, i didnt loose it, With macgirls PCI efi edit of com.apple.boot.plist I didn't loose reboot/shutdown.

But ... how do i get sleep

I noticed that When I hit sleep, it ejects the drives... and my hard drive goes off... but when I move the mouse they go back on... so its gotta be a small issue.

Thanks

I used PCI EFI for graphics drivers... and installed the 10.5.2 drivers via Leo4All v3, anyways.. I still have reboot/shutdown, i didnt loose it, With macgirls PCI efi edit of com.apple.boot.plist I didn't loose reboot/shutdown.

But ... how do i get sleep

I noticed that When I hit sleep, it ejects the drives... and my hard drive goes off... but when I move the mouse they go back on... so its gotta be a small issue.

Thanks

What is PCI EFI for graphic drivers?

Furthermore, can you link me to the macgirl's post about the edit of com.apple.boot.plist?

Thanks

Eric

What is PCI EFI for graphic drivers?

Furthermore, can you link me to the macgirl's post about the edit of com.apple.boot.plist?

Thanks

Eric

I'm not going to link to it, because I dont think it works well

It says the memory on the 8400 is 32megs...

Programs like Keynote, Pages, and others dont open.

But, if you go to page 1, on MacGirls post, look under audio and find the link that takes you there.

There is! I have it working... but I dont know why it works!

As far as I know the shutdown/reboot issue is related to the video card driver (that's why you won't have any problems with restarting and rebooting before installing it). If you're using Leo4Allv3, maybe that's the answer, as the release notes say that the video drivers were udpdated. Maybe that's why you have them working? The best way to be sure about it would be to hear feedback from other people who have installed leov3 on dell xps. I'll try to install v3 soon and will post results here.

Hello,

I've a problem:

Sleep was working on my computer, but didn't when I closed the screen.

So, I tested the application of superhai: TurnLidOn.

The problem is, now, my computer doesn't want to wake from sleep.

He goes to sleep, and when I want it to wake, the computer wake but the screen remains black.

What can I do to have my sleep working?

Thanks

Nicolas

ps: and, what can I do to have the integrated microphone working?

you need Sleep kernel or vanilla kerenl to have a proper wake (without black screen, that was reported on 1st post)

Microphone is not working, use a usb mic meanwhile.

Macgirl,

Remember that one time that I was able to get sleep... and no one else could.

Now I have the oppsite... Shutdown/Reboot work!!! :), but Sleep doesnt!

I tried using superhai's USB fix, bu tthat didn't fix it.. do you know of anyother fixes... BTW I'm on Leo4All v3, along with that Dell pack installer... installing OS X on this takes under 1 hours

:wako: I'll try to have the new graphics kext and test them...

That was discussed many times here, if you install the graphics kexts you loose shutdown/restart, if you prefer to have shutdown/restart delete the nvidia kexts.

A programmer can't solve the issue because there is no sources of the graphics kexts.

So is there no way to get the shutdown/reboot working properly?

No, unles you want to loose graphic acceleration.

Hey macgirl, excellent guide you've made. I have to congratulate you.

Well, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, almost fully working: vanilla kext, stock kernel, pc_efiv8, audio (stac9228), x3100 qe/ci (sleep trick), even the smbios (I borrowed it from a friend's macbook, I don't known why the efinvram.kext loads properly with it), wireless (broadcom 4311), no ethernet (marvell yukon 88e8040), webcam.

Thing is, I read in the first post (haven't read the whole 45 pages), that you mentioned the stac9228 patched kext. I also used it, and had that problem of the "sometimes i have sound, others not". I tried patching with my own codec dump, but no good results. I fixed this using a sfx string, following the guide from the netkas forum. Works like a charm. Sound starts properly everytime I boot on mac.

I'll be sharing it right now, I hope it becomes useful to someone. (You must have EFI installed to use this)

com.apple.Boot.zip

See you!

offtopic: Muchas gracias a todos en este foro por la grandiosa información que presentan. /offtopic

just wanted to see if this will or has supported this system. if you are not sure , it is fine. just that i have had issues with the newest releases. last one 10.52 did not even register as a bootable dvd. never had that prob before. all tiger worked.

here is my system. If you need a tester on this one i will do it as well.

DELL XPS M170 (LAPTOP)

Intel Pentium M 760 (2GHz) Mobile Processor

533MHz FSB, Intel 915PM Chipset.SSE2

Expansion Ports 1 x IEEE 1394a (FireWire), VGA out, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC), S-Video out, DVI (Digital Video Interface), 6 x USB 2.0

Display: 17 inch True Life Widescreen UXGA

Hard Drive 80GB Hitachi Ultra ATA 7200 RPM

Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Memory2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

video: Nvidia GeForce GO 6800 Ultra with 256MB Memory

Network: Wireless- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

Network: NIC Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller

------------------------------------------------

OS'S INSTALLED

Opensuse 10.3 current

Windows XP current

Debian 4 current

Freebsd 4.4 LITE (1994) - 7 (2008) NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

Solaris 8 - 10

OSX TIGER 10.4-10.49

LEOPARD 10.5.1-10.5.2 (COMBO UPDATE ONLY)