[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi Macgirl,

do you know if a INTEL PRO/WIRELESS 2100 (802.11B) MINI P works ?

I have an old one lying around here somewhere.

Can also someone please tell me how I get the wired ethernet to work ?

i have a XPS 1530 and iatkos R2 installed

Let me know.

Thanks in advance

Micman

What chipset is the wired network card? like it says on the first page of this thread, if its the 59xx there's just no working driver yet.

For the wireless intel 2100 you can try this http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ , the site says it supports it (although I have not tried it myself)

Hi Macgirl,

do you know if a INTEL PRO/WIRELESS 2100 (802.11B) MINI P works ?

I have an old one lying around here somewhere.

Can also someone please tell me how I get the wired ethernet to work ?

i have a XPS 1530 and iatkos R2 installed

Let me know.

Thanks in advance

Micman

Intel 2100 have a driver but is for Tiger only.

Also there is no working kext for your Ethernet, your best option there is the Apple USB to Ethernet adaptor, there are other brand that works.

Hi Macgirl,

I was checking my devices and the ethernet is the Marvell Yukon 88E8040. Do you know if there are drivers?

Thanks

AngelusDark9

No, the available kexts for Yukon don't work with your card, same as above, best option now is USB to Ethernet.

i have asus wireless usb stick WL-167G.

it sees everything in the system profiler but i can' get it to work.

is there somwhere an add hardware button or so ;-)

thanks for the help, i appreciate that

Micman

Hello once again, been struggling to set up Leo4ALL 10.5.2 with Vanilla since I think that it might be the best solution for my laptop (I unplug it very few times so I don't need speedstep right now). As I said a few posts earlier, the installation is perfect, but I still run into a problem: just after installing my graphics card - 8600M GT and after reboot I loose my trackpad and keyboard. I was listing the thread almost all day today and I guess that my problem would have something to do with AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, as it may not have been matched with 10.2.5 vanilla kexts, as described by macgirl. One thing that I don't understand however is why everything works (however Keyoard Setup Assistant pops out and does not detect the key right to the Shift key, but anyway I can type) just fine after installing the OS and the problem dies not appear until I install the graphics card. Is it possible that the graphics driver v.41 reaplaces the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext? If this is the case, should I backup the original AppleACPIPowerSource.kext before installing the video driver and then rollover back to it using kext helper? I also tried installing the power management bundle pack and the patched kext, provided by macgirl but with no success.

Other thant that sleep works perfectly (!) when lappy enters into sleep mode automatically but when I set it by command from finder it restarts. Another difference that I noticed is that eject media button now works for me (until I lose keboard of course), while it never worked with iATKOS or Kallyway.

Thanks in advance!

Hello once again, been struggling to set up Leo4ALL 10.5.2 with Vanilla since I think that it might be the best solution for my laptop (I unplug it very few times so I don't need speedstep right now). As I said a few posts earlier, the installation is perfect, but I still run into a problem: just after installing my graphics card - 8600M GT and after reboot I loose my trackpad and keyboard. I was listing the thread almost all day today and I guess that my problem would have something to do with AppleACPIPowerSource.kext, as it may not have been matched with 10.2.5 vanilla kexts, as described by macgirl. One thing that I don't understand however is why everything works just fine after installing the OS and the problem dies not appear until I install the graphics card. Is it possible that the graphics driver v.41 reaplaces the AppleACPIPowerSource.kext? If this is the case, should I backup the original AppleACPIPowerSource.kext before installing the video driver and then rollover back to it using kext helper? I also tried installing the power management bundle pack and the patched kext, provided by macgirl but with no success.

Other thant that sleep works perfectly (!) when lappy enters into sleep mode automatically but when I set it by command from finder it restarts. Another difference that I noticed is that eject media button now works for me (until I lose keboard of course), while it never worked with iATKOS or Kallyway.

Thanks in advance!

First of all AppleACPIPowerSource has nothing to do with PS2 devices, that is for battery meter.

Make sure that you have ACPIPS2Nub.kext so if Leo4All installs Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform you are safe.

I analized the NV4.1 installer, it does not install a different version of AppleACPIPlatform ot other ACPI kext.

Contrary of you I can set the sleep with the Apple menu -> sleep, but automatic sleep never work, weird.

First of all AppleACPIPowerSource has nothing to do with PS2 devices, that is for battery meter.

Make sure that you have ACPIPS2Nub.kext so if Leo4All installs Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform you are safe.

I analized the NV4.1 installer, it does not install a different version of AppleACPIPlatform ot other ACPI kext.

Contrary of you I can set the sleep with the Apple menu -> sleep, but automatic sleep never work, weird.

Oops my bad. I hope don't confuse someone with my false logic in the previous post. :D In System\Library\Extensions I don't see ACPIPS2Nub.kext, but I do see AppleACPICPS2Nub.kext. Does this mean that installing the missing one would resolve my keyboard/trackpad problem, and if yes is there any speciffic version that I should install?

The m1330-m1530-contrary-sleep-behavior is indeed weird. As soon as I resolve the trackpad/keyboard issues I will do more test to confirm it 100%.

EDIT: managed to fix the keyboard/trackpad not working problem thanks to this pack: First read the installation instructions here.

Hope this helps other users with the same problem. So in conclusion, Leo4All may come with 10.5.2 but after installing the video driver you will most likely loose built in keyboard and mouse. Attach USB keyboard and mouse and follow the steps above to recover them. Worked for me on M1530 and Leo4All after fresh install. Oh and by the way: it also puts back battery meter!!! :D

The strange thing: media eject button stopped working! Does anybody have it OK? I thought I just had it after install but I lost it with this keyboard recovery...

Oh yes, confirming: after those modifciations on 10.5.2 with Vanilla, from Finder commands: sleep does not work - restarts instead; Restart works to black screen; Shut down leads to black screen (and safe button shut down I guess). So in order to reboot I will use sleep lol. :D

Hi Macgirl,

Have already sent a PM, but I am repeating here in case anyone else knowledgeable can help!.

I am going crazy trying to get the sound to work on my xps m1330 with LEO4ALL (previously iatkos, but no luck there either!).

No sound AT ALL, not even through headphone jacks.

Downloaded STAC9228_0x83847616.zip and copied applehda.kext + alcinject.kext to /sytem/library/extensions.

Installed kexts using kext helper b7.

Erased AppleAzaliaAudio.kext as per instructions on the compilation post, rebooted.

Mp3s will not play in Itunes, and when using Audion Mp3 player I get the error: Output plug-in failed to start up.

Can you help PLEEEEEase?

Hi Macgirl,

Have already sent a PM, but I am repeating here in case anyone else knowledgeable can help!.

I am going crazy trying to get the sound to work on my xps m1330 with LEO4ALL (previously iatkos, but no luck there either!).

No sound AT ALL, not even through headphone jacks.

Downloaded STAC9228_0x83847616.zip and copied applehda.kext + alcinject.kext to /sytem/library/extensions.

Installed kexts using kext helper b7.

Erased AppleAzaliaAudio.kext as per instructions on the compilation post, rebooted.

Mp3s will not play in Itunes, and when using Audion Mp3 player I get the error: Output plug-in failed to start up.

Can you help PLEEEEEase?

Have you tried patching directly trhough the codec dump? It always works for me. I am attatching the txt file. Just find Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 (here in the forum) and drag the .txt file in it's window, restart and that should do it. Good luck!

codecdump9228_rev1.txt

@Macgirl

The Chipset of the asus wl-167g is ralink 2571w

Let me know before I start switching my WLAN Cards inside ;-)

Thanks Macgirl for your help

Micman

P.S. Which Version do you suggest ? Leo, Iatkos or Kalway ?

Oops my bad. I hope don't confuse someone with my false logic in the previous post. -_- In System\Library\Extensions I don't see ACPIPS2Nub.kext, but I do see AppleACPICPS2Nub.kext. Does this mean that installing the missing one would resolve my keyboard/trackpad problem, and if yes is there any speciffic version that I should install?

The m1330-m1530-contrary-sleep-behavior is indeed weird. As soon as I resolve the trackpad/keyboard issues I will do more test to confirm it 100%.

EDIT: managed to fix the keyboard/trackpad not working problem thanks to this pack: First read the installation instructions here.

Hope this helps other users with the same problem. So in conclusion, Leo4All may come with 10.5.2 but after installing the video driver you will most likely loose built in keyboard and mouse. Attach USB keyboard and mouse and follow the steps above to recover them. Worked for me on M1530 and Leo4All after fresh install. Oh and by the way: it also puts back battery meter!!! -_-

The strange thing: media eject button stopped working! Does anybody have it OK? I thought I just had it after install but I lost it with this keyboard recovery...

Oh yes, confirming: after those modifciations on 10.5.2 with Vanilla, from Finder commands: sleep does not work - restarts instead; Restart works to black screen; Shut down leads to black screen (and safe button shut down I guess). So in order to reboot I will use sleep lol. -_-

OK, now this is getting weird. After reboot it was all gone. Lost keyboard and trackpad again. Still, the files are the same, so when I booted with -v -f it worked again! Does this mean that kexts don't load automatically as they should or do I simply have to boot with an -f from now on?

See this "My PS/2 Keyboard is not working after installation" on http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com/known-issues

WOW, macgirl you are great! I never would have thought to search info on the official site on that topic! Leo4All rules too! Sadly I just finished installing it and it won't work after reboot so I guess the cleanest option would be to go on with -f on boot or reinstall, install the update right after that and hope for success. Thanks a million once again and sorry for the time you had to waste with my beginner cuestions. You're the best!

Hi!

I got M1330. Kalyway

+ Update 1.5.2

+ audio (speakers,jack, mic)

+ Nvidia 4 for my Ge 8400M

+ sleep

+ British keyboard layout

+ Wifi Dell 1490 on ebay for £19 (into WWAN pci-e slot)

+ dual boot with xp and backtrack 2.

I don't care that much about ethernet, the key next to the left shift or even play/pause buttons.

I'm very glad that all the above works thanks to this forum and MacGirl.

Only three things are still concerning me:

1. laptop doesn't restart or shut down properly (although S3 sleep - suspend to ram works) it's stuck (incorrect ACPI commands?),

2. apps like preview, front row (especially videos), iTunes (videos), other graphic extensive apps sometime freezes my laptop.

3. long boot. It's stuck on the gray screen with apple in the middle. The 'thing' stops turning around and 2 minutes later I see my desktop.

Any ideas? Not that I'm any desperate :D Thanks to all you for your hard work on running this forum.

P.S.

One hint for people new to mac (like myself). If you are planning on using Adobe tools, format your system partition into Case-Insensitive format because it doesn't support case-sensitive one (CS3 photoshop, flash, fireworks and so on). I figured it out one installation ago when everything was done and I started Adobe CS3 Master Collection installation. Damn :)

@Macgirl

I just can't seem to get it to work.

I installed the drivers you said for the Asus WLAN, and it says I should configure after a restart.

However in System Preferences - Network, it seems that he uses the Ethernet connection , although it should be Wireless. Meaning I can not choose my Wireless Router. So no connection. However the Ethernet connection is green.

In System Profiler , the BSD is also en0.

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot , really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Micman

Only three things are still concerning me:

1. laptop doesn't restart or shut down properly (although S3 sleep - suspend to ram works) it's stuck (incorrect ACPI commands?),

2. apps like preview, front row (especially videos), iTunes (videos), other graphic extensive apps sometime freezes my laptop.

3. long boot. It's stuck on the gray screen with apple in the middle. The 'thing' stops turning around and 2 minutes later I see my desktop.

Any ideas? Not that I'm any desperate :rolleyes: Thanks to all you for your hard work on running this forum.

1. is a know issue for many Leopard hakcintosh users, if it is very important to you and you don't care loosing Graphics acceleration you can delete Nvidia kexts and you will get proper shutdown/restart.

2. there is a trick that involves making the screen to sleep, after that you get faster graphics, you can set "hot corener" to make it sleep, it needs just a moment, is like a slap in the face (of the computer of course).

3- probably is a conflict of some kext, boot in "verbose mode" (-v) and watch for errors/warnings or see the /var/log/system.log

@Macgirl

I just can't seem to get it to work.

I installed the drivers you said for the Asus WLAN, and it says I should configure after a restart.

However in System Preferences - Network, it seems that he uses the Ethernet connection , although it should be Wireless. Meaning I can not choose my Wireless Router. So no connection. However the Ethernet connection is green.

In System Profiler , the BSD is also en0.

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot , really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Micman

The connection is made by the Wireless Utility App, and the settings (IP, DNS, DHCP) by the Network Pane. Yes in the network pane all appears as regular wired connection.

hi , finally got my vostro 1400, x3100 graphic got workin ....Finally Sound thorugh SPEAKERS>>>>> :rolleyes: some times display boots straight into desktop without using sleep display trick ,

thankyou macgirl , and others for your excellent guide..!!..Do you want me to write the step by step procedure of , how i got it done...

if its helpful for anyone, i would love to write

Hi CokeSide,

I have a vostro 1400 but with nvidia card not x3100.

I can get sound working lout of speakers using the patched appleHDA kexts for 9228 at the beginning of this

guide. However when I reboot I lose the sound , very frustrating.

So I go back to using hdapatcher .16 and get sound from one headphone socket.

Could you please tell me which method you used to get sound from the speakers.

It may be that the NVidia patch is interfering with my sound and that is the difference between us.

But I would still be interested in your method.

Thanks very much,

dweller

Have you tried patching directly trhough the codec dump? It always works for me. I am attatching the txt file. Just find Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 (here in the forum) and drag the .txt file in it's window, restart and that should do it. Good luck!

@COSIO

Many thanks. sound now working, albeit only through the proverbial lone earphone jack.

Any suggestions on how to install the new kexts for the speakers on m1330?

I am proud of myself.

I just ordered a 1505 wireless card for my 1530 so I could get 802.11n while booted into OSX (we are upgrading the network at home and moving around some of the machines). I was looking at getting a wireless n card for my wife's Mac Pro. Looking on ebay I discovered they were going for like $90. So I made a little guess:

I figured if my 1505 card in my 1530 is recognized under OSX then why wouldn't the same card be recognized in a Mac Pro under OSX, and I was right!

(Pat's self on the back) saved myself $40+. The only thing that sucked was not getting the installation screws, but I ended up just stealing one out of my 1530 for the UWB since I'll never have that card.

OK, now this is getting weird. After reboot it was all gone. Lost keyboard and trackpad again. Still, the files are the same, so when I booted with -v -f it worked again! Does this mean that kexts don't load automatically as they should or do I simply have to boot with an -f from now on?

WOW, macgirl you are great! I never would have thought to search info on the official site on that topic! Leo4All rules too! Sadly I just finished installing it and it won't work after reboot so I guess the cleanest option would be to go on with -f on boot or reinstall, install the update right after that and hope for success. Thanks a million once again and sorry for the time you had to waste with my beginner cuestions. You're the best!

Confirming that the official update from Leo4All did not work for me even after a clean install. I had to manually replace the kexts as I described a few posts earlier, so now I have mouse and keyboard working only when I boot with the -f option. One strange thing I did notice in verbose mode is this:

Extension "com.apple.driver.ApppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi; use only one style;

The line above appears up to four times when I boot up in -v mode, no matter if I use -f or not, but with the difference that I have mouse and trackpad in the second case. Could this be related to my problem?

@COSIO

Many thanks. sound now working, albeit only through the proverbial lone earphone jack.

Any suggestions on how to install the new kexts for the speakers on m1330?

I am glad to hear that it worked for you! It is werid that it works only through the earphone jack, for me it worked for both speakers and jack. Maybe you should try and make a combination from both patches, inserting the ALCinject.kext that comes attatched in the STAC9228_0x83847616.zip in the first post aswell. This is my only guess, but I advise you to wait for another opinion as am only a beginner and not sure at all this time. Good luck anyway!