[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

9.2.2 kernel comes with the latest Time Machine update (notice that it will overwrite mac_kernel and system.kext, so make your backups befor installing)

I don't know which kernels come wiht the hacked update, I installed mine with the original Apple update, I think that the hacked update does not updates the kernel because there is a kernels package from Kaly.

There is I think, its seperate to the hacked update tho. Whats the easiest way for me to get the vanilla kernel now?

Patched AppleHDA.kext is linked in the first post as STAC9228_0x83847616.zip

I really really need to have my eyes checked - Ill give it a go.

Hello all and thanks for creating for such a useful thread! :unsure:

However I can't seem to make OS X load up after installation completes. :( All I do is get "Operation system is missing". I have tried several bootloader options in the "customize" section but nothing seems to work. I am trying to make a dualboot system with Vista and Leopard /iATKOS v1.0iR2/. The target machine is a DELL XPS M1530. Could anyone please describe which bootloader should be selected and if there is anthing else to be done since I'ver read that sometimes the mac partition is not the active even if it's been set to be. Also couldn't I make some changes to the bootloader from Vista?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello all and thanks for creating for such a useful thread! :)

However I can't seem to make OS X load up after installation completes. ;) All I do is get "Operation system is missing". I have tried several bootloader options in the "customize" section but nothing seems to work. I am trying to make a dualboot system with Vista and Leopard /iATKOS v1.0iR2/. The target machine is a DELL XPS M1530. Could anyone please describe which bootloader should be selected and if there is anthing else to be done since I'ver read that sometimes the mac partition is not the active even if it's been set to be. Also couldn't I make some changes to the bootloader from Vista?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3039&st=320

visit that page ..follow mac girls instructions there.....all the best

There is I think, its seperate to the hacked update tho. Whats the easiest way for me to get the vanilla kernel now?

For 9.2 the Kalyway package of kernels have one vanilla

For 9.2.2 the Time Machine Update

Just remember to install system.kext acording to version of kernel, both packages has them.

Hello all and thanks for creating for such a useful thread! :thumbsup_anim:

However I can't seem to make OS X load up after installation completes. :( All I do is get "Operation system is missing". I have tried several bootloader options in the "customize" section but nothing seems to work. I am trying to make a dualboot system with Vista and Leopard /iATKOS v1.0iR2/. The target machine is a DELL XPS M1530. Could anyone please describe which bootloader should be selected and if there is anthing else to be done since I'ver read that sometimes the mac partition is not the active even if it's been set to be. Also couldn't I make some changes to the bootloader from Vista?

Since Leopard arrive for hackintosh we suffered for "no booting", so there are severals ways to do it, supposedly Kalyway and iATKOS installation DVDs take care of that whith a custom script, but sometimes they fail so a manual install of the bootloader is needed.

My loginwindow crashes on boot after trying to re enable the transparent menu drop downs as shown on the insanelymac home page, any way to fix other than repairing permissions?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3039&st=320

visit that page ..follow mac girls instructions there.....all the best

Since Leopard arrive for hackintosh we suffered for "no booting", so there are severals ways to do it, supposedly Kalyway and iATKOS installation DVDs take care of that whith a custom script, but sometimes they fail so a manual install of the bootloader is needed.

Thank you both for your kind replies! I've read all the threads describing how to use clonetool to create the boot loader. Nevertheless, I still have a problem. At first I thought that extracting the program (which does not come with the install by default) from Vista, using MacDrive would be enough to resolve the issue and let mi run the commands from bash. But I was wrong. Maybe I am not installing it correctly, but there are no such folders, bins as:

/Applications/Clonetool/sbin/startupfiletool 

/Applications/Clonetool/sbin/bless

in the app folder. When unpacked the archive of th eprogram has a completely different hierarchy. The tutorial that I am using is located at http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1789 I just hope that I'm installing the wrong version, or installing it wrong (if it could be installed from windows?) at all. This is the version that I am trying to run: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24693...netool-hatchery

Thanks once again and sorry or bothering you with those newbie problems. :P

Thank you both for your kind replies! I've read all the threads describing how to use clonetool to create the boot loader. Nevertheless, I still have a problem. At first I thought that extracting the program (which does not come with the install by default) from Vista, using MacDrive would be enough to resolve the issue and let mi run the commands from bash. But I was wrong. Maybe I am not installing it correctly, but there are no such folders, bins as:

/Applications/Clonetool/sbin/startupfiletool 

/Applications/Clonetool/sbin/bless

in the app folder. When unpacked the archive of th eprogram has a completely different hierarchy. The tutorial that I am using is located at http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1789 I just hope that I'm installing the wrong version, or installing it wrong (if it could be installed from windows?) at all. This is the version that I am trying to run: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24693...netool-hatchery

Thanks once again and sorry or bothering you with those newbie problems. :P

jus don care about clonetools..jus procede to the end of the page and there is another method at the bottom of the page ..jus give that a try..it worked for many..including me....jus keep doing those instructions...wish it works..if it does not we shall see what we can do

More good news DUAL Monitor on 8400 possible, I tested 2 NVCAP values:

from desktop 8400gs

propert list editor mode:

<04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000>

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAgANAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

from other user card, Dual display with VGA, LCD primary:

propert list editor mode:

<04000000 00000200 0D000000 00000007 00000000>

text editor mode:

BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

post-123-1205615492_thumb.png

Those values can be in NVinject, NvinjectGo Natit and also it can be converted in a gfx string and added to the com.apple.Boot.plist

First of all thank you macgirl for this great documentation and all the fixes.

When I take your plist file my Vostro 1500 Nvidia 8600M GT works flawless in dual monitor mode without editing any NVinject(Go).kext. System Profiler shows up a 8400 gfx card :P

So I downloaded a gfx efi string that seems to match to my 8600M GT. I changed my string to your com.apple.Boot.plist file and single Vostro display screen works fine with any VGA cable connected.

What is confusing me is the fact that I do not know exactly how edit the Info.plist files and which one has to be edited for my primary Vostro display and which one is used by the external VGA display...

So please macgirl explain once again: Which values do I have to fit to the correct kext file

<04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000>

Has this value to be edited in NVinject.kext or in NVinjectGo.kext ?

Same question....

I played around with these values, but the only result I get is external VGA as primary display and the Vostro display as 2nd display. I wish it would work the other way around.

Could this happen, if I ues the wrong gfx string in my com.apple.Boot.plist file?

Here is mine for 1680x1050x32 Display:

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Hey there, ok random sidenote I got battery meter working!

In case anyone is wondering how I got it to work this is how:

Put Kalyway dvd in drive and boot with these flags, -x -f -v, then install with only this option selected - Bootloader, uncheck GUID and check MBR. Now proceed with installation of Kalyway. From then, you should be able to boot fine with no flags, download the power management bundle and overwrite it in the /system/library/systemconfiguration folder. From there open the ACPI powermanagement.kext that is referenced in the first post of the thread, and edit the OSBundleLibraries from 1.0.5 to 1.1. That is what I did (basically post one re-written) but in case anyone else got my problem thats my solution. Thanks for everyones help!

Regarding audio - my last attempt at this, I used the AppleHDA Patcher v1.16 and did the "codec dump" with putting the sigmatel file over the tongue guy and it patched it, from here I used kexthelper B7 to load a couple of audio kexts. Now this new .zip file do I need to do the 1.16 dump? It sounds like that is already put into those files so all I have to do is kexthelper the 2 files?

Thanks guys

What is confusing me is the fact that I do not know exactly how edit the Info.plist files and which one has to be edited for my primary Vostro display and which one is used by the external VGA display...

You need this to be edited in com.apple.Boot.plist if you use that. If you use nvinject or nvinjectgo you edit it there, it is the same same. But you need to load it. In your above nvcap the <02> part is your gfx card primary display and <0D> is the secondary. You can change it depending on what can of connections and displays you have connected. If you have DVI only you set it to <01> (which should usually be sufficient for your built in display (most likely your primary)). The secondary you should set to whatever type of display you have externally.

Has this value to be edited in NVinject.kext or in NVinjectGo.kext ?

Same question....

I tested those on NVinject nevre on the Go version.

You can visit the NVinject forums, there are a lot of info about NVCAP values there, as Superhai kindly told us.

IMPORTANT: CLICKING HARD DRIVES

Many hard drives shipped lately with laptops click a bit too much - it's the headers going to sleep and waking immediately after.

This can have serious consequences, as the number of clicks is limited with corresponding loss of lifetime!

All operating systems except windows are affected:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/a...port/+bug/59695 (all the details, analisys, estimates of damage,solutions for linux)

The bug stems from an incorrect setting in the HDD firmware, making it sleep too often. All operating systems follow the hardware defaults - except for windows , the only unaffected by this problem.

There's a way to make it stop:

In linux: hdparm -B 200 /dev/sda (if your disk is sda)

In MacOs: download hdapm (http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/) and have it run at startup, it will disable the clicking

I have a vostro 1500, in a couple of weeks of clicking (using ubuntu) there went 10% of the lifetime of the disk, this shouldn't be taken lightly.

Please, Macgirl, add some of this info to your first post!

Thank you.........

I was looking for this!

I think some of 7200 rpm HDD have this problem.

Great!

Here is a ApplePS2Keyboard.kext that enble the key that is near of the "left shift" is a modification with the diif file from Jape, the "next" of media keys is also working (work on the iTunes) so maybe the remote control also work.

I am trying to enable the previous, stop, play/pause media keys.

Replace it at /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext.zip

hmmm, I reinstalled the vanilla kernel from kalyway 10.5.2 update and I get black screen on resume.

What am I missing here?

macgirl: can you zip up your IOUSBFamily.kext for me? I buggered mine up after forgetting to back it up. At the moment USB doesnt work for me :S

EDIT: Never mind, Ive got it working! Sleep! W0000t!!!

Now my m1330 is actually useful as a OS-X machine - awesome stuff! Thanks a million macgirl, I couldnt have done it without your help. You are a godsend.

Here is a ApplePS2Keyboard.kext that enble the key that is near of the "left shift" is a modification with the diif file from Jape, the "next" of media keys is also working (work on the iTunes) so maybe the remote control also work.

I am trying to enable the previous, stop, play/pause media keys.

Replace it at /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Thanks again for your and Superhai's advice due to nvinject functions, I'm on my way. :D

Testing on Vostro1500:

- Key <,> works ! Now I'm only missing the pipe symbol...

- Next media button works. Stop/play, back do not work.

Is it possible to use media keys like logitech keyboards media keys are working? What i mean is if you press in any opened application the next (skip) media key, itunes will skip to the netxt song.

Great job ! <_<

jus don care about clonetools..jus procede to the end of the page and there is another method at the bottom of the page ..jus give that a try..it worked for many..including me....jus keep doing those instructions...wish it works..if it does not we shall see what we can do

Thanks once again! Afterall I managed to fix (although not so sure "fix" is the word to use here) the boot by applying following article. The partition was blessed successfully and now I see the Darwin loader at startup, then I select the mac drive to boot from and Leopard starts loading. However, after several minutes it just freezes and does not recover until I push the shut down button. I would like to ask if this is a problem related to the bootloader, or I've passed that part successfully, and it's something else. And if it is, what should I do? It looks like it freezes right the moment when the GUI is supposed to show up.

EDITED with SUCCESS: I went back and realized that this is the reason I had to boot with the -s option after install. I've just deleted the NVDAResman.kext and am now at the Welcome Screen. <_< I just hope everything goes well from now on.

Another boot realted question. As I am dual booting with vista, the vista boot manager appeared automatically and detected the OS X drive, once I select it I enter the darwin boot loader. Then I have to select once again the mac drive to boot. So I was wondering if there was a way to skip one of the two selections? (select only once between win and mac).

- Key works ! Now I'm only missing the pipe symbol...

- Next media button works. Stop/play, back do not work.

Is it possible to use media keys like logitech keyboards media keys are working? What i mean is if you press in any opened application the next (skip) media key, itunes will skip to the netxt song.

Great job ! :)

I'm working on make the other media keys to work, I have another ps2kb kext that I made with slight modifications to the diff file of Jape, since my keyboard is Latinamerican Spanish it is different from the Eouropean Spanish, here is the kext if you want to try: ApplePS2Keyboard.kext.zip

Another boot realted question. As I am dual booting with vista, the vista boot manager appeared automatically and detected the OS X drive, once I select it I enter the darwin boot loader. Then I have to select once again the mac drive to boot. So I was wondering if there was a way to skip one of the two selections? (select only once between win and mac).

If you use the Darwin Bootloader as primary boot you can set other bootloaders to make a direct booting of particular partition.

Darwin bootloader shows default option from an active partition.

what does your appleps2keyboard modify?

Furthermore, could you post the system.kext that I should use with the offical kernel of apple because I've just changed the mach_kernel. Where should I put it?

Thanks

First of all, please if this is not the correct place to post my question, just tell me. (this is my first post :P).

I've been reading a lot of posts in this forum and in others too.

I just want to ask all the people who successfully installed Leopard in the XPS 1530 the description of the procedure, i do not want the entire description, just three things:

• the distribution (Kalyway, Iatkos),
  • the packages that where modified (I do not remember how the packages or drivers where called, kext?)
  • modifications to the bios

I'll appreciate a lot any answer.

First of all, please if this is not the correct place to post my question, just tell me. (this is my first post :().

I've been reading a lot of posts in this forum and in others too.

I just want to ask all the people who successfully installed Leopard in the XPS 1530 the description of the procedure, i do not want the entire description, just three things:

• the distribution (Kalyway, Iatkos),
  • the packages that where modified (I do not remember how the packages or drivers where called, kext?)
  • modifications to the bios

I'll appreciate a lot any answer.

Well..for xps 1530..ii guess, iAtkos would work better..it makes many things easier...jus goto a good torrent site ..like some kind of bay of pirates.."(i don want to invite trouble quoting xact name")....download that ...burn to dvd usin clone tools.."not nero"...ten , u shud be able to start...there are many good guides availble..jus browse through the site properly. I/u].i havent correctly understood your question about "packages"[

hi MacGirl, i am running Leo on my Dell vostro 1400, almost flawless, but i have a minor problem , the startup is takin around four minutes, before i can see the finder(starts without sleep display trick but for sound , i have to use that)..

secondly..i am gettin a batterylife of under two hours...i am a noob, i really donnow much abt intelspeed step and stuff...adn did not dare to mess with efi's ..j

can u tell me anuthing i could do to fix this..i could not open energy saver in preferences