[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

if you use VoodooHDA AppleHDA shouldn't be removed, you only need to get rid of the enabler (HDAenabler, EFI strings or other).

System wouldn't boot until I removed it. I'm using HDAEnabler/AppleHDA again right now anyway. Until VoodooHDA supports pin configs it is basically useless to us.

HDAenabler needs edit to work on 10.5.7

actual HDAenabler info.plist says:

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	 <string>6.9.9</string>

need to say:

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	 <string>7.9.9</string>

Mine works fine without the edit.

System wouldn't boot until I removed it. I'm using HDAEnabler/AppleHDA again right now anyway. Until VoodooHDA supports pin configs it is basically useless to us.

Macgirl,

i didn't have to edit the plist either if it means anything.

Hi guys,

Firstly, I'd like to apologise massively if I posted my question in the wrong sub-forum and if this question had been answered already.

I attempted to search the forums on many occasions using various key words relating to my situation and even though many results were returned, I still struggle to this day decided which guide or set of instructions to follow without screwing up my laptop.

DELL XPS M1530 NOTEBOOK

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, 2101MHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors

BIOS Version Dell Inc. A12 (19/11/2008)

4.00GB RAM

298GB HDD (partitioned as standard: OS & Recovery)

Device Manager list in Vista

I have a KALYWAY Leopard install DVD and have attempted an install previously but ran into booting problems. What I did was shrink the partition size of my Vista OS drive leaving some unallocated space on the disk. I think I used the disk utility during the OSX installation to create a partition for it to install onto. Everything worked okay after reboot (with the DVD still inside).

I think my problem began when I removed the DVD and booted. OSX nor Windows would boot as if the boot manager has been deleted or something. So I gave up and put my Vista recovery disc in and returned to Vista :(

What did I do wrong? Can anyone help me please? I would like to keep my already installled Vista for my girlfriend to use and so I can play some games from time to time. So, a dual boot would be handy.

I apologise again if I sound like a complete nooby. In a way I am and did my share of snooping about before waving my hand for help. I'd rather just ask the experts than rely on making a mistake.

If you need anymore info, I'd be happy to provide.

Thanks in advance! You guys rock!

Mw :)

VoodooHDA supports pin configs, I discovered, I made some diff on the voodooprojects forum for the ALC888, but I tried several configs on the STAC9228 but none of them make the speakers work (v2.2), neither the Internal Mic.

Macgirl,

i didn't have to edit the plist either if it means anything.

Weird, maybe I have an old version :(

I attempted to search the forums on many occasions using various key words relating to my situation and even though many results were returned, I still struggle to this day decided which guide or set of instructions to follow without screwing up my laptop.

DELL XPS M1530 NOTEBOOK

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz, 2101MHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors

BIOS Version Dell Inc. A12 (19/11/2008)

4.00GB RAM

298GB HDD (partitioned as standard: OS & Recovery)

The MBR gets overwritten. What you need to do after you install OSX is put in the Vista Recovery DVD and repair Startup. That should take care of your vista booting. For the OSX, you will need the Chameleon bootloader. which you can install while installing OSX. Try using a recent disto of OSX hack or use the retail version of OSX.

If you choose to use the retail version of OSX, follow the last section of this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119654

Also get hold of the Gparted live CD as that will help you to mark the partition of your choice as active(boot partition). Hope this helps.

Is there anything I can do to get VGA Output with NVKush(witch come with iAktos v5i), i have the Dell XPS M1530, QE and CI are Enabled.

Luggi

Injectors are no longer required for M1530 use the DSDT file. Brandon2004/Chrysaor : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=49396

chown to root:admin and chmod to 755 and you should be good to go...

Attaching the Ethernet kext for Marvell Yukon 88E8040 for 10.5.7. It has the AppleYukon2 info.plist edited to contain values for 88E8040 and 88E8040T. Edited from 10.5.7 vanilla kext. You will still have to edit the mac address to make the ethernet work consistently. The address of mac id has changed in the AppleYukon2 executable. Follow the guide by Slice: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1099839

and use this picture instead of the second one in his post.

picture1ybi.th.png

The ethernet will work even without the info.plist edit, but you will not see the correct card information in the network utility.

IONetworkingFamily.kext_88E8040.zip

Hi again!

Okay, I have learnt a bit now after over twenty install attempts and have got this far...

Bought and installed a Dell 1490 WiFi card (BCM94311MCA)

I installed KALYWAY 10.5.2 /w Wifi working and sound.

Installed PC EFI v9 Chameleon.

Downloaded the 10.5.7 combined update (700MB)

Used the netkas method to update.

All is well now apart from my laptop keyboard no longer works (accepts input).

A kext issue? How can I resolve this issue please? Just as I get one thing sorted out, another thing screws me over lol :)

Thanks muchly!

Mw

P.S. This time at the original install, I used the vanilla kernel (9MB). Could it be this? Previously I used the _sleep one (4.8MB). I think if its not the 10.5.7 update/kexts then its vanilla. Any clues?

edit; have to use screen keyboard... what a pain in butt . cover flow in itunes doesn't display also. media/volume buttons, trackpad doesn't work also

update: Okay, I am going to backup my extensions before the update and replace the ones i need afterward. Have I found the solution? I only hope the kexts will work with x.5.7

What steps do I need to take in order to run vanilla kernel on my system. I tried to upgrade yesterday from 10.5.4 to 10.5.7 and it went horrible wrong. Having all my important stuff backed up and on a separate partition I decided to install clean. I have a m1530

1) installed kalyway 10.5.1 - (would love to install retail, I actually have a real retail disk but I cannot get it to boot have tried all boot CDs)

2) installed chameleon/netkas efi v9

3) installed bandon's DSDT.aml

4) installed ideneb's 10.5.7 update.

This is pretty much where I am now. My system will only boot with the anv kernel. not with voodoo not with vanilla not with mach_kernel from apple. I have graphics, sleep and all working so I know I haven't done too bad.

Reason why I desperately want to run vanilla is that I use Aperture and it is crashing on startup, seems to be a kernel call from the logs. I don't care what kernel I use as long as Aperture works.

I have gone through wingur21's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119654 but I'm unsure what else applies to me.

I would be a tosser if I didn't say where in the startup process it's hanging but truth is that it's not always the same place!

It often hang at or around ... /usr/sbin/ocspd[47]: starting

It isn't crashed just hanging there forever.

Do I need to delete any kexts or add any kexts?

edit; have to use screen keyboard... what a pain in butt . cover flow in itunes doesn't display also. media/volume buttons, trackpad doesn't work also

Try using these kexts for the keyboard and trackpad : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=41025

media button needs sonotone's installer.... coverflow needs QE/QGL working. Need to know what your hardware is to give you a solution.

I have gone through wingur21's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119654 but I'm unsure what else applies to

Right at the bottom of this guide, you will find my guide on how to install vanilla on an MBR partitioned disk. If you are willing to do a GUID partition then follow wingrunr21.

If you have a 1530 you will need these kexts in a vanilla install if you use Brandon2004/Chrysaor DSDT.aml

picture1ypq.th.png

EDIT: You also need the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext if you wish to not delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (recommended)

The PS2nub and PS2Controller are linked above. The modified PS2Keyboard will actually be installed by the alps trackpad driver. All other kexts are linked in wingrunr21's guide. Hope this helps.

Try using these kexts for the keyboard and trackpad : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=41025

media button needs sonotone's installer.... coverflow needs QE/QGL working. Need to know what your hardware is to give you a solution.

Thanks Talisman. I'll give it a shot now. I appreciate your help mate :)

My video is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB. The Kalyway x.5.2 nvinject_256 worked okay but I assume it was overwritten when I updated with x.5.7 combined.

Should I have to backup/replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext? What does that do specifically? On my research travels it seems to come up quite a lot and seems important.

I think I'll write my own guide specifically for M1530 on Kalyway when I'm done.

Cheers man!

My video is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB. The Kalyway x.5.2 nvinject_256 worked okay but I assume it was overwritten when I updated with x.5.7 combined.

If you have nvidia and the update worked properly... then all you need is the Brandon2004/Chrysaor DSDT.aml... Ill attach it for you....

put it in the / directory and open a terminal and type in

su -

chown root:admin /DSDT.aml

chmod 755 /DSDT.aml

DSDT will take care of both the nvidia and the audio. No HDAenabler or nvinject required. Delete these....

nvinject doesn't get overwritten with an update....

DSDT.aml_M1530.zip

If you have nvidia and the update worked properly... then all you need is the Brandon2004/Chrysaor DSDT.aml... Ill attach it for you....

put it in the / directory and open a terminal and type in

su -

chown root:admin /DSDT.aml

chmod 755 /DSDT.aml

DSDT will take care of both the nvidia and the audio. No HDAenabler or nvinject required. Delete these....

nvinject doesn't get overwritten with an update....

Thanks man, yeah I already used the DSDT route. I'm now in 10.5.7 with keyboard/trackpad, sound/volume keys, wifi/ethernet, graphics, usb working but something I noticed about the graphics is that its a bit slow in places.

Would macgirls nvinject be better?

Coverflow still doesn't function. Video seems to work fine. Expose/Spaces renders strangely (it just doesn't look pretty (no anti-aliasing?)). Also no battery meter showing in menubar now - did they do away with that one? Finally a little nit-pick is the @ and " keys-binds are reversed and backslash can't be found although I am quite happy enough to be able to use my keyboard :)

A question about "boot" and "DSDT.aml"... If I was to install Chameleon-2.0-r431 for the GUI boot-up, would they get overwritten and would I encounter problems?

I haven't tested the media keys yet. I still am revising and documenting my steps, backing up files as I go and cleaning up my digital mess.

I think what I'll be doing next is looking at Sonotone's Installer as like you mentioned has the media key kext in there. There is a battery meter in there also.

I also installed the DeepSleep widget though when I use it and it goes into sleep-mode, it immediately wakes up (like a mini-reboot) back into my session with no errors. Strange.

Anyway, so far so good. I've been at this now for 20hrs straight :(

But its a really good learning experience!

Now for some Zzz's

Talisman, champion altogether!

What I did was boot off an old boot-132 CD - Was then able to boot the vanilla kernel. Once I had verified that Aperture was working I just used my old tried and tested kexts (right or wrong...) skipping a few such as nvinject that the DSDT takes care of.

I've just speedstep left, everything else is working.

Cheers!

yes, all done.

Question to everyone, is your M1530 really really hot? Mine is really hot all the time even doing nothing. With speedstep working and CPU sitting there at just 800mhz.

I have another laptop, a dell d630 running linux and it's never even close to being as hot as the xps. I've never run windows on this laptop so I don't know if it's a OS X thing or just rubbish cooling on this model. Thoughts?

Coverflow still doesn't function. Video seems to work fine. Expose/Spaces renders strangely (it just doesn't look pretty (no anti-aliasing?)). Also no battery meter showing in menubar now - did they do away with that one? Finally a little nit-pick is the @ and " keys-binds are reversed and backslash can't be found although I am quite happy enough to be able to use my keyboard B)

A question about "boot" and "DSDT.aml"... If I was to install Chameleon-2.0-r431 for the GUI boot-up, would they get overwritten and would I encounter problems?

To get the battery meter you need VoodooBattery from superhai's site.

For the keyboard, go to System Preferences -> International -> input and see if your keyboard is set to English

For the coverflow try this: Check in system profiler if QE/CI/QGL is working and hardware accelerated. If not, download Xcode from apple developer site for free and look for a tool called Quartz Debug. Open it and go to Tools and enable QE/QGL. DO NOT close the app. Force quit it. See if that works.

I would suggest installing Chameleon 2 as your system will boot faster. DSDT.aml will not be overwritten but boot0 will be, but that doesnt matter. If your video seems slow, reapply the combo update 10.5.7.

Question to everyone, is your M1530 really really hot? Mine is really hot all the time even doing nothing. With speedstep working and CPU sitting there at just 800mhz.

The M1530 does get a bit hot. Use Superhai's Voodoo Power app to check temps. anything in the 40s should be fine.

To get the battery meter you need VoodooBattery from superhai's site.

For the keyboard, go to System Preferences -> International -> input and see if your keyboard is set to English

For the coverflow try this: Check in system profiler if QE/CI/QGL is working and hardware accelerated. If not, download Xcode from apple developer site for free and look for a tool called Quartz Debug. Open it and go to Tools and enable QE/QGL. DO NOT close the app. Force quit it. See if that works.

I would suggest installing Chameleon 2 as your system will boot faster. DSDT.aml will not be overwritten but boot0 will be, but that doesnt matter. If your video seems slow, reapply the combo update 10.5.7.

The M1530 does get a bit hot. Use Superhai's Voodoo Power app to check temps. anything in the 40s should be fine.

Thanks again mate. I installed VoodooBattery via OSX86Tools. The battery meter popped up just as the cache was being rebuilt before restart.

One thing I noticed when I got back into OSX was that my menubar had transparency. So I opened iTunes and Coverflow is now working. Expose/Spaces looks nice again.

How often is it a good idea to Repair Permissions or Set Extensions Permissions? Should I do this now that everything seems to work okay?

I looked at the input setting for the keyboard - set to British. English is not in the list. I'll install Chameleon2.

Downloading the Mac/iPhone SDKs now. Thanks again Talisman!

All that remains is to figure out the problem with sleeping.

All that remains is to figure out the problem with sleeping.

You can repair permissions whenever you feel like... it does not do any harm... I do it every time I install a kext....

For sleep install VoodooEHCI from superhai's site and make the changes suggested in the readme link. I hope you are using the DSDT I posted.

That will give you clamshell sleep...

You might want a US keyboard....

What hardware do you have??

Meh, i just came to edit because i found the ansewer, in fact in one of your posts :P... (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115562&mode=linear#)

Ill take the chance and shoot another question too :(.

With Urthwhyte kext i was able to get my XPSM1530 Dual Display working flawlessly, according to the post i should get my SVideo output working too, is this confirmed? im not really sure since even in Windows i havent been able to display an image on my TV..., might have something to do with my TV rather than my hardware...