[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Can check your guide please for the 2 finger scroll from a clean install perspective?

when i follow your guide i either stop the touchpad working at all or if i then replace the applePS2 kext, the touchpad works again but FFscroll does nothing ( the app is in the system preferences)

I you read th thread the sleep issue it has nothing to do with the kernel, but USB, without USB kexts you can make it sleep., but is useless IMO.

So maybe a new USB kexts or a future update could fix the problem.

Not necessarily. What I do is I remove IOUSBFamily so I can get normal sleep functionality. If I ever have to use USB, I just load it up, once I'm done, I rename it, do a full shutdown.

My kernel is the same, and so is the output of sysctl, but I also have hw.cpufrequency = 2590000000, which maybe is just saying what my cpu is?

Also of concern:

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2600000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 2600000000

hw.cpufrequency: 2590000000

So I wonder if its doing actually doing anything, since when I set it to, say 800, and then back to 2600, I notice that my battery time remaining does drop by about 30 minutes. Is there any utility out there that actually measures the current cpu speed and outputs it, like cpuz for windows?

BTW, do you get

kern.exec: unknown type

as the first line of the sysctl command?

yeah those just tell you the min & max cpu freq mine is the same..

for testing cpu to confim speed step i used Xbench (free) and tried the cpu test at different mHz and it shows big differences, try it out..

also yes i get unknown type as the first line on sysctl :)

I you read th thread the sleep issue it has nothing to do with the kernel, but USB, without USB kexts you can make it sleep., but is useless IMO.

So maybe a new USB kexts or a future update could fix the problem.

Not necessarily. What I do is I remove IOUSBFamily so I can get normal sleep functionality. If I ever have to use USB, I just load it up, once I'm done, I rename it, do a full shutdown.

My kernel is the same, and so is the output of sysctl, but I also have hw.cpufrequency = 2590000000, which maybe is just saying what my cpu is?

Also of concern:

So I wonder if its doing actually doing anything, since when I set it to, say 800, and then back to 2600, I notice that my battery time remaining does drop by about 30 minutes. Is there any utility out there that actually measures the current cpu speed and outputs it, like cpuz for windows?

BTW, do you get

yeah those just tell you the min & max cpu freq mine is the same..

for testing cpu to confim speed step i used Xbench (free) and tried the cpu test at different mHz and it shows big differences, try it out..

also yes i get unknown type as the first line on sysctl :)

Also of concern:

BTW, do you get

The Speedstep App puts the current sidestepping it is in on the top taskbar

The Speedstep App puts the current sidestepping it is in on the top taskbar
Right, I just wanted to make sure that those numbers actually represented what my machine was at. Thanks all.New question: Is there any way to get my screen to automatically dim when on battery?And as far as the USB sleep issue goes, its totally USB related, as the read light on my jump drive goes solid wenever the machine tries to sleep, shutdown, or restart. Maybe some kind of loop error?

Again, I have to ask the obvious: does OSX not have runlevels per se? can you not unload the USB kext on shutdown? Does OSX even have tools to load/unload (insmod/rmmod) kernel extensions?

Sorry, Im coming from a linux background - i realise OSX isnt the same :)

thanks

I try to unload IOUSBFamily some days ago, but since there are other USB kexts loade it can't do in one step. Even trying to unload every USB kext (some don't want to unload) Sleep still does not work properly.

You are on to something...

Is it possible to write a starup and shutdown script to...

1. rename IOUSBFamily.kext to .kext.stop prior to shutdown/sleep

2. rename IOUSBFamily.kext.stop to kext at startup and kextload the kext?

I dont know much about Mac scripting capabilities, but these 2 scripts could be a temporary workaround till updated USB kexts are available...

I'm new to Hackintosh with my XPS M1530. I have a question about shutdown failure. I have tried ToH and Kalyway (with vanilla) install and everytime I installed driver for 8600M GT, shutdown would end up black screen with Bluetooth and Power LED on. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? Thanks so much!

BTW: Is there anyone who successfully get Yukon 88e8040 work? Thanks again!

I have tried ToH and Kalyway (with vanilla) install and everytime I installed driver for 8600M GT, shutdown would end up black screen with Bluetooth and Power LED on. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? Thanks so much!

boring!!!

you can't fix it!!!! (for now)

it's a consequence of video driver.. you choises are: shutdown/restart or graphic acceleration!

please read before posting!!! :)

Hi pyr0 i tried your strategy ant it works, i have also written very simple script to try to unload the

IOUSBFamily.kext (without renaiming it) and also the kext that depends on it, but some of these kext cant unload

and if i try to remove some of these i get a kernel panic in particoular com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI and com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI

This is the code:

sudo kextunload -b com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI  
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleIOUSBFamily

Any idea?

I thing that we are very close to full sleep running a simple script before

executing sleep command

Bye Iceloop

Again, I have to ask the obvious: does OSX not have runlevels per se? can you not unload the USB kext on shutdown? Does OSX even have tools to load/unload (insmod/rmmod) kernel extensions?

Sorry, Im coming from a linux background - i realise OSX isnt the same ;)

thanks

I don't know if runlevels exist in OS X. OS X has kextload and kextunload that are similar to insmod/rmmod.

Pyr0: can we load/unload IOUSBFAmily via applescript?

Probably. Never used Applescript. We have to figure out how to unload the kexts properly first. Scripting it is trivial.

You are on to something...

Is it possible to write a starup and shutdown script to...

1. rename IOUSBFamily.kext to .kext.stop prior to shutdown/sleep

2. rename IOUSBFamily.kext.stop to kext at startup and kextload the kext?

I dont know much about Mac scripting capabilities, but these 2 scripts could be a temporary workaround till updated USB kexts are available...

This doesn't work because the kexts are loaded into memory. You can't unload kexts by just renaming. You can load kexts by renaming (there's something watching it for new kexts).

Hi pyr0 i tried your strategy ant it works, i have also written very simple script to try to unload the

IOUSBFamily.kext (without renaiming it) and also the kext that depends on it, but some of these kext cant unload

and if i try to remove some of these i get a kernel panic in particoular com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI and com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI

This is the code:

sudo kextunload -b com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI  
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI
sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleIOUSBFamily

Any idea?

I thing that we are very close to full sleep running a simple script before

executing sleep command

Bye Iceloop

I never got the kexts to unload properly, kextunload would always fail. I also saw the kernel panics you got and they happen when removing certain kexts. Perhaps we could try to figure out some ordering?

I can't get my audio working for the life of me. I have an Inspiron 1420 with the SigmaTel 9228 codec. I use the AppleHDA patcher and my codec dump, but nothing happens. I removed the AppleHDA.kext, and still nothing at all. I'm so confused. I've tried versions 1.16 through 1.20 and nothing changes.

Can anyone be of some help here?

I don't know if runlevels exist in OS X. OS X has kextload and kextunload that are similar to insmod/rmmod.

Probably. Never used Applescript. We have to figure out how to unload the kexts properly first. Scripting it is trivial.

This doesn't work because the kexts are loaded into memory. You can't unload kexts by just renaming. You can load kexts by renaming (there's something watching it for new kexts).

I never got the kexts to unload properly, kextunload would always fail. I also saw the kernel panics you got and they happen when removing certain kexts. Perhaps we could try to figure out some ordering?

I have tried several orders,

also looking dependencies of each one using the command kextstat

but without result :D

sad iceloop :)

I have tried several orders,

also looking dependencies of each one using the command kextstat

but without result :tomato:

sad iceloop :)

Have you tried unloading 1 by 1 and then trying sleep? To see if there's any single 1 that is causing it to wake up?

MacGirl & Others,

Any one ever get an external LCD to work with iATKOS? I get my GMA x3100 working with the internal LCD with the sleep trick, but when I hook up an external LCD is goes nuts and turns all scrambled.

I'm using iATKOS 1.0, as funny enough I can get Kalyway to work with the LCD screen but NOT the internal and I always have to start the operating system with CPUS=1.

I can't get my audio working for the life of me. I have an Inspiron 1420 with the SigmaTel 9228 codec. I use the AppleHDA patcher and my codec dump, but nothing happens. I removed the AppleHDA.kext, and still nothing at all. I'm so confused. I've tried versions 1.16 through 1.20 and nothing changes.

use kexthelper and the use the 9228 kext attached in the first post (you can find kexthelper via search)

anyone noticed how the Dock's "view as -> grid" icons crashes osx if you fill it up completely with icons?