[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

what is the benefit of 10.5.2. I got it to installed but now sound so far and it takes longer to boot, 2-3 times slower to boot :(

On mine it doesn't take more time. :huh:

Do you have a 9.2.0 kernel?

Real Benefit from 10.5.2 is QE/CI, of course you can have 10.5.1 or 10.5 with 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts but there are some incompatible libraries, users reported some crashe with PhotoBooth and other graphic apps.

Hello looks like a great guide. I`m thinking about getting a m1530. On my E1505 I had much success with kalyway DVD. The 4 main things for me is VIdeo(1680x1050), SOund(thru internal speakers), Wireless(dell truemobile), Sleep(very important). Seems that the first 3 are ok (is sound working ????) What about sleep ? Is that working with the Vanilla kernel ? Also if anyone know how to get a good discount on the m1530 please let me know, if those things dont work on the XPS i might go with vastro or new inspirons. Thanks in advance for the replies :)

Sound is working but some had issues of not getting it after reboot, but there are several fixes.

Sleep not working, at least no one has reproduceable method yet, and I think the same occurs on Vostros and Inspirons, but let the Vostros and Inspirons users say something about it.

Sound is working but some had issues of not getting it after reboot, but there are several fixes.

Sleep not working, at least no one has reproduceable method yet, and I think the same occurs on Vostros and Inspirons, but let the Vostros and Inspirons users say something about it.

Well I wasnt able to get sleep on my Dell Ins. e1505 for a while until I tried kalyway DVD 10.5.1 and it works from the first boot. Also forgot to ask what about Dual Core Problem that we have on the E1505/E1705 and such ? If I cant get sleep on this thing then I might go with a MacBook. (really wanted a bigger screen and bigger resolution, but if I cant get sleep going I cant use Mac, as my self and wife are always putting it to sleep not shutdown)

i'm just reconfirming that sound works on mine perfectly whenever it is running on battery - once you have sound back you can plug in the power again

looks like that is the case for me right now, unless I fully reinstall the drivers, fix permissions, and clear the kext cache

These Dells (new generation) don't have the multiple core problem, only if you use 10.4.8

Well atleast cores work, but if I cant get sleep working, I dont know if I cant take it ? Did anyone try kalyway dvd ? kinda strange that vanilla kernel works and sleep doesnt and if even gfx strings work, very strange..... and sad its the same for m1530 right ?

I you read th thread the sleep issue it has nothing to do with the kernel, but USB, without USB kexts you can make it sleep., but is useless IMO.

So maybe a new USB kexts or a future update could fix the problem.

I you read th thread the sleep issue it has nothing to do with the kernel, but USB, without USB kexts you can make it sleep., but is useless IMO.

So maybe a new USB kexts or a future update could fix the problem.

Well I can leave with out USB most of the time I have nothing connected to the laptop anyway.... if anyone else can confirm taht thats what makes it work then I`ll stay on the XPS M1530 track. Thanks for the input macgirl ;)

OK... I feel retarded for having to ask this... but how do I identify what Wired LAN card I have? I'm trying to find it in Windows with no avail. I go to device properties and all I get is "Broadcom NetLink Fast Internet". This is on a Dell 1420.

Thanks!

That is a generic name, a lot of Broadcom cards had that name, you need to find specific Device ID, you can do it with Windows (device properties), Linux lspci, or Mac OS DPCI Manager.

Well I can leave with out USB most of the time I have nothing connected to the laptop anyway.... if anyone else can confirm taht thats what makes it work then I`ll stay on the XPS M1530 track. Thanks for the input macgirl ;)

Even Bluetooth? because it is connected to the USB bus, also the Finger Scanner (but this is minor thing I guess).

Yup they are marvell cards the exact model on my m1530 is 88E8040. I'll just wait out for new kexts. :unsure:

Looked up on Vista's device manager, the Hardware IDs section are listed as this for the 88E8040 model:

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&SUBSYS_022E1028&REV_12

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&SUBSYS_022E1028

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&CC_0200

I tried those ID's with the kext inside appleyukon folder in system config and it didn't work, however i see something when i go to system prefrences..and its RED which means not connected but of course i checked the cable...

That is a generic name, a lot of Broadcom cards had that name, you need to find specific Device ID, you can do it with Windows (device properties), Linux lspci, or Mac OS DPCI Manager.

Even Bluetooth? because it is connected to the USB bus, also the Finger Scanner (but this is minor thing I guess).

Yeah bluetooth is very rearly used, specialy since iPhone doesnt sync thru bluetooth.... come to think of it last time i used USB on the MAC was when I connected external hard drive to do time machine backup initialy.. so yeah I guess not really needed most of the time, ofcourse nice to have it on, it doesnt mess with i.Link ? does it ? cuz I use that for the camera. I guess you can fireup the kext when you really need it right ? ( i should say fire it up with out reboot)

Also mic and cam work ok with Skype right ? thats another thing really needed.

I've been trying to read this thread... and there's just too much info! I'm not a complete newbie to the hackintosh scene, but I'm not that experienced either. I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers though..

I'm looking into getting a Dell M1530 (over a Macbook Pro), but I only want to get one if I can run Hackintosh on it... and utilize everything on the laptop. i just need to be sure I can get 100% performance out of it..

It looks like all the drivers are there (in the first post)... I'm just wondering if someone can give me a simple answer.

Will it work well enough for a workplace environment?

Thanks!

I've been trying to read this thread... and there's just too much info! I'm not a complete newbie to the hackintosh scene, but I'm not that experienced either. I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers though..

I'm looking into getting a Dell M1530 (over a Macbook Pro), but I only want to get one if I can run Hackintosh on it... and utilize everything on the laptop. i just need to be sure I can get 100% performance out of it..

It looks like all the drivers are there (in the first post)... I'm just wondering if someone can give me a simple answer.

Will it work well enough for a workplace environment?

Thanks!

the m1530 is very similar to the m1330. So everything should work except sleep, shutdown, restart. And your sound might not work all the time

By "Sleep, restart, shutdown" not working.. do you mean the only way to turn it off is removing the battery?

I suppose I can live with having to completely turn my machine on and off (no closing the lid)... but you have to able to restart your machine and turn it off normally, correct? haha

Thanks.

By "Sleep, restart, shutdown" not working.. do you mean the only way to turn it off is removing the battery?

I suppose I can live with having to completely turn my machine on and off (no closing the lid)... but you have to able to restart your machine and turn it off normally, correct? haha

Thanks.

you can still shut it down safely. Just goto shutdown, and the screen will turn black, hold down the power button for 5 seconds, ill shut down. Think old school AT Computers

All computers and laptops can be shut down if you hold down the power button for 5 seconds.

After having googled for a bit, apparently most OSX shutdown/reboot problems are related to USB devices.

What's on the USB bus for a M1330 anyway? Does OSX have lsusb or equivalent? Is anyone confident enough to open their machine and unplug stuff (Im guessing the fingerprint reader for starters) to see if the problem clears up?

My machine should arrive March 4th, apparently.... hope that date edges forwards :P

Works here, just followed the steps of the guide, when its working you should see something like:

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800

kern.cputhrottle_verbose: 1

kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1200 1600 2000 2001

when you do sysctl -a | grep cpu, is the speedstep.app actually doing anything? also which kernel are you using mine is:

[rid@Hackintosh:~]$ uname -a

Darwin Hackintosh 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Thu Feb 14 17:30:26 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

[rid@Hackintosh:~]$

My kernel is the same, and so is the output of sysctl, but I also have hw.cpufrequency = 2590000000, which maybe is just saying what my cpu is?

Also of concern:

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2600000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 2600000000

hw.cpufrequency: 2590000000

So I wonder if its doing actually doing anything, since when I set it to, say 800, and then back to 2600, I notice that my battery time remaining does drop by about 30 minutes. Is there any utility out there that actually measures the current cpu speed and outputs it, like cpuz for windows?

BTW, do you get

kern.exec: unknown type

as the first line of the sysctl command?