• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Well, My whole family has made the plunge to get the mac and I'm the only one left so being me I want to do something with my old Windows Baised PC. I want to install Leopard Server on it, Why? I have no clue. I've got nothing else to do. Is there any possible way to do this?

My specs are
AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 64Bit
2GB Ram
nVidia 7800GT

If I can't then what are you recommendations for something that will let me do basically the same thing that Leopard server does?

Thanks

Also, I dont really care if I have to use an application like ParePC or something that allows it to run. I dont need to to be booted... Just running.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
You don't want to run pearpc. Its emulation isn't that fast. I would recommend installing iATKOS or another release, then use the Leopard server installer packages.

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

You don't want to run pearpc. Its emulation isn't that fast. I would recommend installing iATKOS or another release, then use the Leopard server installer packages.

Okay, I'll try that. How do you reaplace the Installer packages? I'm a Noob at this.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
You don't replace them. Install mac os x leopard regular. Then get the server installer packages, and run those (like installing a program)

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Okay. I will try that. Thanks for the help.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
No problem. :P

weaksauce12

weaksauce12

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
Skip Leopard Server and just install FreeNAS. Here's a good walkthrough:

http://www.orionmods.com/blog/?p=5

It's free, it supports a ton of server types (AFP, SMB, FTP, etc.), it's extremely stable, it's easy to set up, it will run on crummy hardware (200mhz cpu? no problem!). My uptime is over 3 months now! You can use it stream movies and music, back up your files (iTimeMachine works too!), store all your software, and so on.

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Thanks so much weaksauce. The other method seams a little complex.

sheeplover

sheeplover

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 256 posts
awhk .. c'mon buddy .. do you really think that it is 'complex' to install some packages? We're talking about apple here ... I'd never seen any software or functionality at apple that was complex ;-)

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

awhk .. c'mon buddy .. do you really think that it is 'complex' to install some packages? We're talking about apple here ... I'd never seen any software or functionality at apple that was complex ;-)

Can you recommend me a detailed guide? I dont mind doing it. I'm just still unsure on how to.

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
Just install Leopard normally, and then download the installer for the server packages and run it and install it, just like you would with a setup for a Windows program ;)

Can't explain it any simpler than that ;)

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Okay, Let me get this straight.

I install Leopard regularly, Nothing more than 10.5. Then When that's done I install the server packages.

Now, That's where I loose you. Do I then download and install Leopard server or is there something on the Leopard disk that has the packages?

I'm sorry for being a pain and a complete moron about this but I'm a long time Windows user so I'm completely lost.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
Yes. You need to dl the "Leopard Server Packages"

Juanto

Juanto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Alright, Thank so much. Found it on TPB.

InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Hey can those be pulled from the install disk? I'd like to just get them from there and upgrade my Leopard system rather than find the packages on certain bays.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
Not from the regular Leo dvd.

dColumbus

dColumbus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're all talking about installing Leopard on your "Windows" PC like it's nothing. CAN you even install Leopard on your "Windows" PC? If so, how?

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
;) :hysterical: :hysterical: Not to be mean, but dColumbus do you realize that you are in a forum thats all about running OS X Leopard and Tiger on your PC? Its real easy, heres a FAQ I made:

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=89659

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
Best of the day right there. dColumus, how did you find this site?

Software Updater

Software Updater

Apparently someone likes me...

• Donators
  • 529 posts

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're all talking about installing Leopard on your "Windows" PC like it's nothing. CAN you even install Leopard on your "Windows" PC? If so, how?

Now this is gonna be in my signature now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy