at&t store refused to sell iphone to me

jpolster2005

25 posts in this topic

Walked into an AT&T store today, ready to buy an iPhone. Asked if i could see the box up close, the rude salesman asked why. I told him i wanted to check the serial number on the outside of the box. He said no! I told him i have a right to know what I'm buying and that the only way i could know if it was an iPhone id be able to install programs on (jailbreak), was to look at the serial number. He refused to sell me the phone, called me a criminal. Said he wouldnt sell me one even tho i had my card ready

there is nothing illegal about jailbreaking or unlocking and consumers have a right to know exactly what they are buying. The fact that i wanted to check the serial number should not have mattered why. I have the right to know whats on the outside of the box before i purchase it, its a basic consumer right. The fact he treated me this way and the fact he refuses to sell me an iphone is wrong. its none of his business what i do with it. once i buy it, its my iphone and i have a right to do whatever i want with it. come on guys? whos with me on this one?BY the way in the USA there is a law that allows us to buy phones and unlock them for our personal use

License agreements only apply to software you install on a computer and not with hardware. There is no such thing as illegal hardwarealso, JSN1, if you arent gonig to agree with me then dont post here

You are right and wrong. The license agreements do only apply to software. However, I bet there is something in the AT&T contract saying you won't modify the software on the iPhone or anything. Although technically he should not deny you the right of seeing the box unless he had some weird suspicion you were going to steal it or anything, which you weren't. If I were you I would have asked to speak with the manager and then complained the salesman wouldn't let you see the box and get that loser in trouble.

Its okay though, if the people at that store are bad then you are better off going somewhere else to buy it because in the event that you'd have to return it or change your plan or anything even, you dont wanna put up with them and have them give you a hard time. They should come to the sad realization that almost everybody wants control over their phone and they can't stop these people from jailbreaking it.

Legal agreement applies to the iPhone software (when you get your iPhone, slide to unlock, open settings, touch on general, about and then on legal :( )... However, if you're always right and know everything, I won't come again into this thread. So later don't come asking how to (unlock, activate) or even where to get a 1.1.1...

JSN1, I do apologize for the way i spoke to you reguarding being always right, I was wrong to say that, and you are certainly welcome in this thread. it just frustrates me becuase im trying to make this a big news factor. i mean come on! the AT&T rep called me a CRIMINAL. I did go back the next day and now i have a 1.1.2 OTB in my hands, happily awaiting the hypersim i ordered off ebay. Kudos to Valorie of Merrillville, IN AT&T. She supported my decision to unlock and jaiilbreak my iPhone. She let me into the store room and find a 1.1.2 to unlock. Cuz they had mostly 1.1.3. again JSN1, I apologize to you. I have sucessfully jailbroken my iphone and am awaiting my hyper turbo next sim i ordered from ebay

Of Course, you see, AT&T does not want me to be their customer. I would have gladly signed up with at&t and abandoned t-mobile in a heart beat. But AT&T does not like my 425 credit score. I can't help the fact that i have a low credit score! And T-Mobile signed me up without a hitch. by the way, JSN1, did you say you knew where to still buy 1.1.1 iphones?

You guys are funny.... Why would Apple want to stop you from jailbreaking? It made them a fortune.... They dont make money on software but the make the most profit over the hardware.... As you all know the hardware of the iphone and ipod touch are {censored}.... They are the old generation cpus. I have a chinese gms which is running on java OS and I just found out that touch technology and cpu is same as Apple stuff. My point is that Steve Jobs and so is Apple makes deals that they make them pay nothing and get the cream of the profit. Basicly AT&T is angry to Apple not to people who jailbrakes their phone. However AT&T cant do anything about Apple cause still iPhone is what brings the customer to store not Love of AT&T... Therefore AT&T is the one who is hustled by Apple. Never forget AT&T and ones like him are like vampires the have to suck on people by yearly plans and minutes. But new era is coming via Voip and that what makes them scared.... I never liked any telecom company but I have always loved Apple cause I felt like it loved me more than any other company.( May be it is true may be not) Last words on this matter... I think If Apple didnt want us to Jailbrake we would not be able to..... So Apple want us to fell like we are getting more for our money.... That is the Beef :wacko:

You just need to be a little smarter about it - give some bogus reason why you want to look at the box ("I heard the displays made on this one lot were bad" or something like that). If you tell him you want to look at the box because you are going to hack the phone, the salesman is just going to assume you're going to do something that breaks the contract(he probably has no clue about jailbreaking or any of that stuff - he just hears you are going to alter the phone & assumes you are going to steal service). He works for AT&T, so he is getting paid to look out for their interests. I've got no beef with the sales guy on this - you need to learn to deal with the situation better. You are after all looking to break the contract you are signing, so overt honesty doesn't make any sense(ie lying to him about why you want to see the serial number is no more dishonest than jailbreaking your iPhone).

You guys are funny.... Why would Apple want to stop you from jailbreaking? It made them a fortune.... They dont make money on software but the make the most profit over the hardware.... As you all know the hardware of the iphone and ipod touch are {censored}.... They are the old generation cpus. I have a chinese gms which is running on java OS and I just found out that touch technology and cpu is same as Apple stuff. My point is that Steve Jobs and so is Apple makes deals that they make them pay nothing and get the cream of the profit. Basicly AT&T is angry to Apple not to people who jailbrakes their phone. However AT&T cant do anything about Apple cause still iPhone is what brings the customer to store not Love of AT&T... Therefore AT&T is the one who is hustled by Apple. Never forget AT&T and ones like him are like vampires the have to suck on people by yearly plans and minutes. But new era is coming via Voip and that what makes them scared.... I never liked any telecom company but I have always loved Apple cause I felt like it loved me more than any other company.( May be it is true may be not) Last words on this matter... I think If Apple didnt want us to Jailbrake we would not be able to..... So Apple want us to fell like we are getting more for our money.... That is the Beef :P

I laugh so damn hard at your post. A LOT of people confused jailbreaking and unlocking, jailbreaking dont make Apple mad really but unlocking it to use on another provider, that is the beef. Apple got a cut from AT&T line rental they get from people that "use" the sim that came with the phone, jailbreaking just made them look bad but unlocking preventing them from making money.

At the O2 store here in the UK they wouldnt let me purchase one without a contract.

That must be dependent on the moron behind the sales counter.

My coworker got his phone last week at a local O2 store and was not forced to buy the contract there. He did it later through iTunes, however. All the store did was sell him the phone.

Personally I went through the Apple store so I didn't have to deal with the sales peeps...but I still got a phone call like a month ago trying to sell me O2's bs insurance.