Got my Nvidia 8600GT Working (Updated 9-18-08)

bf2loser

71 posts in this topic

Thanks to BiffTheAncient for providing the essential clue: my 8600GT's VGA port does not work right, but the DVI one does! Just installed 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg and it works fine and dandy. Also, used Dilnalomo's tutorial, and I can dual-boot perfectly. For a while I thought I'd have to move to Windows for good... scary!

One weird thing, though: Half-Life 2, the "episodes", and Portal used to run on Crossover -- very poorly, with the Intel video, but they did run. But now they freeze on the "blur" before the title screen. I have tested some other PC games, like Half-Life and Chaser, and they still run fine.

Alright i am about to post how i can get into a fully functional session in osx. Boot into safe mode and remove geforce.kext, reboot and i can log in successfully however the grapgics are a little messed up and there's no qe/ci support, so i retore the geforce.kext file to its proper location and reboot once again and am loged in with everything working perfectly, if i reboot again afterthis however i get the black screen again. so i re-perform the steps and thats how i can log in sucessfully, does anyone understand this or know how to fix it?? :( thanks.

holydhaliwal. I understand. This is what was happening to me.

From kalyway install 10.5.2 with no drivers selected during install and vanilla kernel.

booted up fine but with 1024x768 res. Installed nvinject.kext then nvinstaller for 10.5.2 and reboot. All is fine and qe/ci supported.

reboot and it had the same issue you were describing. What i was doing to get around it was avoiding reboots at any cost and when i needed to reboot i would move the NVDANV50Hal.kext from /system/library/extensions into my root directory and reboot. upon reboot i would get a message saying i had to reboot, so i then reboot again but this time i hit a key during startup and type -s to go into single user mode.

at the command prompt i would do a "mount -uw /" then do a "sudo cp -r NVDANV50Hal.kext /system/library/extensions" then typed "reboot" and it would restart and boot up with correct res and QE/CI supported again.

After working this out, i figured it probably only works this way as when i boot it up without the NVDANV50Hal.kext file in the extensions folder, then reboot with it there the system must be triggered to reload the kext's so i simply added:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

to /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist to force a kext reload during bootup fixed the issue. It adds a few seconds to boot time but i can deal with that.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it doesnt and i will see what i can do to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice on an XFX 8600 GT 256MB?

No matter what kexts are used, always come up with a black screen after booting. -x safe mode doesn't work either, same black screen. -s and moving all kexts also doesn't work.

Anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Any advice on an XFX 8600 GT 256MB?No matter what kexts are used, always come up with a black screen after booting. -x safe mode doesn't work either, same black screen. -s and moving all kexts also doesn't work.Anyone can point me in the right direction?Thanks
Can you post a quick list of the steps you have made for install? are you running bootefi or nvinject (or something like that)?
does this work with 10.4, Tiger ?
providing you have bootefi and the correct verion of nvinstaller for your version of tiger this guide will probably help. Just ignore the section with the bios settings and install and go to the graphics card configuration.I havent tested this on other machines, but providing you have the system working and are using bootefi, it should just be a matter of installing the drivers and testing. best to make a backup before attempting if you are unsure.

xyphonfilter:

I've installed using Kalaway leopard 10.5.2 with default settings. I've tried various kexts installers after that.

First I tried these installers: 1.9, NVinject, Universal installer, NVinstaller .52, .41, and .31.

I followed your guide adding the "-f" inbetween the strings with the same result. I used the NVinstaller .52 with that.

Lastly I just tried bf2loser's guide adding the device id in each plist file with the same result. I got my device id from windows device manager. It was the same as bf2loser's. I used the universal installer with this. I believe that I followed all the steps properly, dropping each plist onto the desktop and editing it with TextMate. Perhaps I got the device id wrong? Or maybe I put the wrong text in?

Basically all these steps engender the same result: after the initial load sequence the gray apple comes up with the rotating loading indicator. After that the screen shuts off momentarily, then it comes on as a black screen and just sits like that. My monitor recognizes the native input but there is just a black screen. The same thing happens with every boot mode -x, -v, or -s. Then I have to erase and reinstall.

Considering bf2loser's guide is quite complicated, I'm going to try it one more time just in case I messed up some part. This time with the 1.9 installer I'll let you know the result.

Whatever other steps you need let me know. I really want to get this to work.

Awesome I got it to work. I followed Krazubu's manual install on this page.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...111072&st=0

Works fantastic now, Quartz extreme supported, rotation supported.

My Install

Kalaway 10.5.2 default install no vanilla kernal

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

3.0 Ghz Wolfdale CPU

2GB 800 Mhz DDR2 Ram

XFX Geforce 8600 GT 256MB

Using Plist editor pro

replaced all match strings with device id "0x040210de" on NVDAResman.Kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, and NVinject.kext

used NVinject version 0.2.1

set the nvcap output string to "04000000 00000100 0e000000 00000000 00000000" currently using DVI output on 20in display 1680x1050.

Set IOProbeScore number by 0

launch terminal and type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

reboot

Some resolutions not working. Have not tried mirroring or the RGB output yet. I have only one monitor.

If anyone has this card, they can try this and see if it works. It's not the triple x or fatality card, just XFX 8600 GT 256MB DDR3

Big thanks to Krazubu for the guide. Follow the link.

• 1 month later...
Thanks soooo much man! I appreaciate this guide alot. and punks installer and the guide will work and I confirm will work on 10.5.2 of kalyway. Including Dual Monitor :( lol

HOWEVER! I had to apply my methods otherwise. I had trouble with terminal, so I used a script. I uploaded here a script if anybody is haveing trouble with the sudo commands, etc. All you have to do is run it, keep re-typing your password (its annoyin, i know, lol) and when it says done, complete the rest of the guide.

For simpler instructions and to get the whole package, you can download it at: http://rapidshare.com/files/110633339/Driver.rar (unfortuanitly its not to my benifit :) , lol)

any questions? contact me.

Thank you so much. All I had to do was install the driver for the 512MB video card, nothing else to it for me. My EVGA GeForce 8600GT 512MB card works great now! Thanks! :(

• 1 month later...

Any successful patches with 1024mb cards? I've attempted, and re-attempted, just about everything. I tried editing the VRAM sizes to 768mb <00000030> and 1024mb <00000040>. I've tried dumping my ROM into NVCAP maker, which gave me a value which was only partially successful (I get about three quarters of the desktop and a working mouse, but no dock, icons or toolbar). I've tried a number of edits to the boot plist that always causes my system to hang, and requires reinstallation.

Anyways...If anyone has managed to get their 8600GT 1024mb card working, if you could post the method used, it'd be greatly appreciated! ^_^

I just updated my first post, take a look and try what i posted if you haven't already. And even if you have graphics working with NVinject but you don't mind taking a chance then you should try the gfxutil, it improved my graphics score in xbench over what NVinject was doing for me, and my computer also boots quicker without the extra kexts to load

sorry the 1680 x 1050 is the resulotion i am looking for, i made a mistake in the above post.

i am using a Sceptre X22WG 22" LCD Monitor .

Hi i have a GeForce 8600GT 256MB PCI-E EVGA video card it works but How can I get 1680 x 1050 screen resulotion i can get 1600x900 and 1920x1080 at largest screen resulotion. thanks

• 1 month later...

it works like a charm :thumbsup_anim:

by the way you can edit the files directly from the terminal app ... with nano/vim/mvim as the following example :

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist

So you don't need to fix your permissions :censored2:

I solve all problems with my nVidia zoggis.

[QE/CI/Rotation/dual monitors fully working...]

The NVCAP that worked with my graphic was:

NVCAP: 04000100 00000300 0c000000 00000007 00000000

Hex: BAABAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

Track here: http://forum.hmbt.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2955

Good luck with translators. ;)

• 1 year later...

Hello guys.I am looking about this many days and still i couldn't make it work.After a lot of search i am now using nvinject 0.2.1 and i cannot change resolution.

I have tried with an efi string but it was exactly the same as with the nvinject.

Graphics by NVIDIA:

below i am giving you system's profiler result:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x4

VRAM (Total): 771 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

====

I am using:

8600gt 1024 DVI-DVI made by Palit.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @

Processor Speed: 2.31 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.02 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP21.88Z.005C.B01.0608221120 (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Do you think is there any option of making this #@%@# thing ( ;) ) work ???

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i have a Gigabyte G41MF-U2SH motherboard, and a XFX 8600 GT 512mb with VGA , DVI and S-Video, and i can't get it to work.

I patched DSDT, but it doesn't work, anyone with this motherboard known where i have to inject PEGP? If i use a bad NVCAP, does it affect to IOREG output? (when i inject the the GPU, i doen't get feedback on IOREG, like my other PC, that have a 8800GTX...)

Thank you very much!

Hello guys.

I am sorry for annoying you for a card tha already has to many topics but i need help i am so f!@#ng comfused.

As the title says i have an Nvidia Geforce 8600gt 1GB with ports(DVI-VGA).I have tried all the injectors and efi strings(all injectors except nvinject and nvkush work as efi strings) but the only thing i get is a functional pc with now QE support and no resolution changes(i am stuck in 1024x768).

My computer's specifications are:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 CPU 6600 @

Processor Speed: 2.31 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.02 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP21.88Z.005C.B01.0608221120 (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Serial Number: SOMESRLNMBR

I am using Mac Os X 10.5.6 iDeneb version.

======

System profiler for my graphic card while i am using an enabler from netkas.org(the result is the same as with efi string)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x4

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: netkas.org

Displays:

SwitchResX4 - Unknown Monitor:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

And here is where i want help because i don't know how to:

1)Manage my resolutions

2)Enable QE support

optional

in my display preference panel it says Refresh Rate : n/a (WHY :'( )

and i have downloaded a program named SwitchResX but it doesn't recognise my monitor(is this as it should be?)

I am looking for any help (i am so desperate :))

Thank you and sorry again for repeating a topic about Nvidia 8600