Got my Nvidia 8600GT Working (Updated 9-18-08)

bf2loser

71 posts in this topic

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz (Stock)

(EVGA) Nvidia 8600GT with 256mb (DDR3) Ram

2 gigs Corsair Ram

Leo4AllV3

Sata hardrive

IDE DVD/CD Drive

I've sorta had choppy graphics using nvinject from the Leo4All dvd but I was always too lazy to fix it until I lost QE/CE altogether with 10.5.5 update. So I finally decided to use the GfxUtil to see if that would restore my QE/CE stuff, and it did. Only problem was that osx86.wikidot.com is updating or something and I couldn't find his utility on there, but luckily there was a google cache of his old site that I was able to use to download it still. I've attached the utility and the instructions that come with it, pretty simple, so you should definitely try it if you're having issues.

GfxUtil

Obviously I don't take credit for anything, all I really did was a google search lol. Oh and if you are wanting to update to like 10.5.5 or something, make sure you follow a guide and actually read the instructions, trust me, it'll save you alot of pain and reinstalling...Yes, this guide was (re)written for 10.5.3, but its the same thing you would do for 10.5.5 anyways, so dont worry..

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340

-------Old Guide, might work for some of you still-------

So yea, after a while of playing with stuff and different drivers and such I finally got it working, with the help of my brother and this website. Here is what I did:

First off download the "Nvidia Installer 1.9 by Punk92" file from -----

(EDIT: Check the bottom for a better link, you shouldn't need to follow this guide anymore, The latest installer should have your device id's in it already.)

You have to have the same video card as me for this guide to work for you because of the device id. If you have a different card you have a different id. Customize your install and tell it to install the default drivers, and also to install nvinject for 256mb ram video cards. thats all you need. after it finishes open your /System/Library/Extensions folder and find each of these kext files

GeForce.kext

NVDANV30.kext

NVDANv40.kext

NVDANV50.kext

NVDARESMAN.kext

You have to open each one by right clicking and selections "Show Package Contents." (you have to do this one file at a time or else you'll jack it all up...been there done that) So first off open "GeForce.kext" and then find the "info.plist" file, drag that to your desktop, but keep your window open that you took it from!

Open the file on the desktop and find a section that looks like "IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH" or "IOPCIMATCH." underneath this section of text youll see a part that says something along the lines of "<string>0x040210de&0xfff0ffff</string>". You want to delete everything in between the <string></string> tags and replace it with this "0x040210de&0xfff0ffff" (without the quotes obviously). Do this for each of the files I listed and then type these commands one after another into a terminal

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

Now open "Disk Utility" and on your "Leopard" disk click the "Repair Disk Permissions"

When thats finished reboot with -v to see whats happening, it may wait a minute or so on boot so just let it sit. but if it doesnt move for more than 5 minutes, its probably not gonna work.

I just wanna say that I dont take the credit for any of this, its all information I've found on this website from different topics, all I did was trial and error to get it working correctly for me

Let me know if anyone else tries this and if it works for you too!

EDIT: This is the installer I've been using lately, seems to be one the most updated

Download Nvidia Universal Installer

----------End of Old Guide---------

after you move the nfo.plist (from each of the kext your list) files to your desktop, do you have to move them back to the original location? (assuming yes)

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo

Intel Core2Duo 6320, 1.8 ghz

(EVGA) Nvidia 8600GT with 256mb (DDR3) Ram

2 gigs Corsair Ram

iAtkos 1.0

Sata hardrive (not sure what kind or if it matters)

So yea, after a while of playing with stuff and different drivers and such I finally got it working, with the help of my brother and this website. Here is what I did:

First off download the "Nvidia Installer 1.9 by Punk92" file from Here

You have to have the same video card as me for this guide to work for you because of the device id. If you have a different card you have a different id. Customize your install and tell it to install the default drivers, and also to install nvinject for 256mb ram video cards. thats all you need. after it finishes open your /System/Library/Extensions folder and find each of these kext files

GeForce.kext

NVDANV30.kext

NVDANv40.kext

NVDANV50.kext

NVDARESMAN.kext

You have to open each one by right clicking and selections "Show Package Contents." (you have to do this one file at a time or else you'll jack it all up...been there done that) So first off open "GeForce.kext" and then find the "info.plist" file, drag that to your desktop, but keep your window open that you took it from!

Open the file on the desktop and find a section that looks like "IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH" or "IOPCIMATCH." underneath this section of text youll see a part that says something along the lines of "<string>0x040210de&0xfff0ffff</string>". You want to delete everything in between the <string></string> tags and replace it with this "0x040210de&0xfff0ffff" (without the quotes obviously). Do this for each of the files I listed and then type these commands one after another into a terminal

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

Now open "Disk Utility" and on your "Leopard" disk click the "Repair Disk Permissions"

When thats finished reboot with -v to see whats happening, it may wait a minute or so on boot so just let it sit. but if it doesnt move for more than 5 minutes, its probably not gonna work.

I just wanna say that I dont take the credit for any of this, its all information I've found on this website from different topics, all I did was trial and error to get it working correctly for me

Let me know if anyone else tries this and if it works for you too!

this installer might make it easier for you guys.. it worked for me on kalyway.. if it doesn't work with iatkos, sorry :offtopic:

http://scottdangel.com/files/10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg

This driver was a simple install, and worked with my XFX 8600GT XXX (superclocked?) on a Kalyway 10.5.1 and BadAxe2. It seems to be a little slower at doing things than my other hackintosh with the XFX 7600GS and Natit drivers (non vanilla install). Thanks!

after you move the nfo.plist (from each of the kext your list) files to your desktop, do you have to move them back to the original location? (assuming yes)

Yes, you have to move each info.plist file back into its original kext file, replacing teh old one

anyone else tried this and have choppy graphics? Mine are fine if im only doing one thing, like coverflow, but if I have coverflow moving and i minimize a window everything gets all choppy. My guess is I will either have to get vanilla kernel working (which I cant cuz of my {censored} keyboard) or hope updated kexts fix it. how bout you guys, same problems, no problems, or what?

Xbench results are attached as an xml file, but its only the opengl results, didnt do cpu or memory or anything like that

Untitled.xml

• 3 months later...

Thanks soooo much man! I appreaciate this guide alot. and punks installer and the guide will work and I confirm will work on 10.5.2 of kalyway. Including Dual Monitor :lol: lol

HOWEVER! I had to apply my methods otherwise. I had trouble with terminal, so I used a script. I uploaded here a script if anybody is haveing trouble with the sudo commands, etc. All you have to do is run it, keep re-typing your password (its annoyin, i know, lol) and when it says done, complete the rest of the guide.

For simpler instructions and to get the whole package, you can download it at: http://rapidshare.com/files/110633339/Driver.rar (unfortuanitly its not to my benifit :), lol)

any questions? contact me.

NVinject_permissions_copy.rar

sweet i was looking for this thread cause I couldn't find it anymore lol. I recently reinstalled it and got it all working good and did a software update directly from apple, everything is working great and super smooth, and i'm running vanilla kernel and everything. All i had to do was add the PS2support kext and remove appleintelpowermanagement kext. Oh, and GUID is better than MBR, especially is using PS2 keyboard/mouse

BiffTheAncient: I would assume, I duno wat that last part is for, but I assume that line is towards another part of the card, so it might be ok, worst case is you re-install mac

Tankk: go look on google, type highlight and type this in:

8600 GS site:insanelymac.com OR 8600GS site:insanelymac.com

and go to this website to see if your compatible or not http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...#Graphics_Cards

Biff: I'm not really sure what its for, I just noticed it was on the other strings so to be safe I added it into the one I edited too.

Tank: As far as I know, this should work for the GS version also, but you will probably have a different device string. Just check the string, if its different then do what I said just with your string.

P.S. to everyone:

I used the latest nvidia installer and it worked out of the box, it already has the device string I needed in there, do you guys want me to upload it so you can try it and not have to hassle with editing all this stuff?

bf2loser: Please do upload the new installer. In the mean time I'm about to try your method from the first post. Fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Update: Ok... followed instructions in post #1 and rebooted. System started up as it normally does but just after the line "PX40: Family specific matching failed" the screen went blank. I waited a few minutes... and nothing :( Because I had issues with the 2 outputs an a previous card (In W2k) I plugged in a second monitor on the VGA Port. I was and still am using the DVI port for the monitor. This time the same thing happened except, when the monitor on the DVI port went blank, the monitor on the VGA port came to life. Unfortunately, all that happened was that the desktop wallpaper was displayed and the system seemed to hang. Once again.... No go :( So I removed NVinject, Geforce, nvdanv* and Nvdareswhaterveritis kexts.

Now I'm back in Leo and gonna try something slightly different. I had a quick look at the info.plist in the 512MB Nvinject and it seemed to have a different string after the Device id... will look into it and try a few things.

Hi i recently purchased this same card however i am getting the weirdest problem ever. After installation of leopard it will boot up fine the first time at low resolution for the account creation, qe/ci both working and resolution changing working as well. After this i reboot and i get a black screen after darwn :S. So i boot into safe mode and modify the device id's to display the proper values. When i restart everthing works again at full resolution, however if i restart after this i get the black screen again. THEN i restart and go into safe mode, i modify the nvcap value of nvinject.kext to one of the ones that are used to get dvi working on the 8400gs cards, i reboot and everything works fine again, however if i restart again after this...black screen AGAIN. This really doesn't make any sense to me has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what is going on and how to fix this? I have an asus a8n-sli premium mobo (nforce4). thanks

EDIT: Also i noticed that when im booting up, darwing displays vesa 14mb, however when im in osx (when it actually works) system profiler says 256mb. don't know if thats helpful. Also just for fun i tried deleting my geforce.kext to see what would happen, well it booted up but without acceleration, so i restored the file to its proper location and rebooted, and everythng worked again, however as i've come to expect, upon rebooting a second time i was greeted with the black screen once again. it seems it only works after i make some kind of change and reboot, but once i reboot a second time the black screen comes back :angry: this is really frustrating!!

Paul

Biff: I'm not really sure what its for, I just noticed it was on the other strings so to be safe I added it into the one I edited too.

Tank: As far as I know, this should work for the GS version also, but you will probably have a different device string. Just check the string, if its different then do what I said just with your string.

P.S. to everyone:

I used the latest nvidia installer and it worked out of the box, it already has the device string I needed in there, do you guys want me to upload it so you can try it and not have to hassle with editing all this stuff?

I do everything like you wrote now works 1024x768@85, but QE is not supported((( and graphic core is software... i know what must be - hardware accelerator. Mayb I do somethin not right?

Hey guys, I haven't been on my Mac install in a while, and now it wont boot up for some reason ;) so I can't get to my files to upload them for you unless I can get the new ubuntu installed before I have to erase Mac. You might just have to google for the new nvidia installer thingy.

@Holy: I never had any issues like that, could be the kernel youre using maybe, is it vanilla kernel or are you using a hacked one? also maybe its the fact that youre trying to use an older way of installing the video. Try finding newer drivers or something (newer installer package).

@Tankk: Only thing I can think of is that its the old installer, or maybe its the old kexts. Have you upgraded to 10.5.2? It has new graphics kexts in it, might work better

hmm well i've tried installing the drivers quite a few different ways, as for the kernal im using i always choose the one thats selected by default during the installation i've tried zephyroths, leo4all v2,v3 as well as kalyways, i always take the default one because the other ones always say they are for ppl having sleep/restart issues and stuff, ive never had those problems...

Ok... tried a ton of things last night.

1. Nvinject 0.2.1 512MB and 10.5.2. Kexts installed using Pnk92's Installer.

Result: On boot up avtive display switches from DVI to VGA (I have 2 monitors on to see whats going on) and system locks up with wallpaper displayed (no toolbar at top and no mouse pointer)

2. Remove NVinject and Geforce.kext's

Result: System boots up fine, but Video is stuck in 1024 x 768 software mode.

3. Tried a bunch of other stuff, but then ended up trying installing NVinject 0.2.1 and running Apple's Graphics update.

Result: On boot up avtive display switches from DVI to VGA (I have 2 monitors on to see whats going on) and system seems to lock up with wallpaper displayed. However, I noticed what looked like a corner of a Icon in the top right hand corner and upon jiggling the mouse found that the mouse was working (pointer moving around) and I could right click and bring up the context menu. but nothing else was working / happening.

4. Removed NVinject.kext and rebooted.

Result: System booted normaly and as soon as the desktop loaded (menubar at top, all Volume icons and dashboard bat at bottom) the system froze up.

5 Rmoved Geforce.kext.

Result back at the beginning with software 1024 x 768 ^_^

Anyone have any Ideas?

Ok... tried a ton of things last night.

1. Nvinject 0.2.1 512MB and 10.5.2. Kexts installed using Pnk92's Installer.

Result: On boot up avtive display switches from DVI to VGA (I have 2 monitors on to see whats going on) and system locks up with wallpaper displayed (no toolbar at top and no mouse pointer)

2. Remove NVinject and Geforce.kext's

Result: System boots up fine, but Video is stuck in 1024 x 768 software mode.

3. Tried a bunch of other stuff, but then ended up trying installing NVinject 0.2.1 and running Apple's Graphics update.

Result: On boot up avtive display switches from DVI to VGA (I have 2 monitors on to see whats going on) and system seems to lock up with wallpaper displayed. However, I noticed what looked like a corner of a Icon in the top right hand corner and upon jiggling the mouse found that the mouse was working (pointer moving around) and I could right click and bring up the context menu. but nothing else was working / happening.

4. Removed NVinject.kext and rebooted.

Result: System booted normaly and as soon as the desktop loaded (menubar at top, all Volume icons and dashboard bat at bottom) the system froze up.

5 Rmoved Geforce.kext.

Result back at the beginning with software 1024 x 768 ^_^

Anyone have any Ideas?

I'm kinda in the same boat, except if I boot with -x, it loads fine, otherwise i get kernel panic. Since its in safe mode, its a little sluggish, so im trying to fix this also. I found fix for kernel panic, but it involves removing nvinject and nvidia kexts, so ill be stuck at 1024x768 :P

If you have 2 hardrives you can try updating your install. For this posts sake I'll call them Leopard1 and Leopard2. Get Leopard1 installed on one hardrive all updated as best as you can then click software update and let it download the 10.5.2 update, but don't let it install. When it asks you to restart your computer just cancel the update. Then you need to find the update package, but I don't really remember where it was at. Somewhere close to the root directory though, and you should recognize it if you come across it. Anyways, find the package and move it to your desktop. Then backup 3 kexts from your Extensions folder, dsmos.kext ps2support.kext and appleSMBIOS.kext. Then boot up your Leopard2 hardrive/installation and find the package on Leopard1's Desktop. double click the installer and tell it to install to Leopard1. Then go into Leopard1/System/Library/Extensions and remove the appleintelcpumanagement.kext or whatever it is. After that put in your dsmos.kext, PS2support.kext and appleSMBIOS.kext, repair all your permissions using the lines

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Leopard1/System/Library/Extensions/your-kext-here.kext

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Leopard1/System/Library/Extensions/your-kext-here.kext

That should get you all the latest updates and stuff (as long as your computer can run vanilla kernel). So restart and try booting up Leopard1. oh, and make sure you boot this time with the -f -v arguments. That puts it in verbose mode (-v) and clears/recaches you extensions folder (-f) (<--or something like that lol)

Open the file on the desktop and find a section that looks like "IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH" or "IOPCIMATCH." underneath this section of text youll see a part that says something along the lines of "<string>0x040210de&0xfff0ffff</string>". You want to delete everything in between the <string></string> tags and replace it with this "0x040210de&0xfff0ffff" (without the quotes obviously).

I'm sorry, but what's the difference between the "before" and "after"? The two strings seem to be identical