Windows Update Woes

piscosour00

1 post in this topic

I don't know what happens but every time I go through Windows Update, something is disabled. The first time I install my Windows XP Professional SP2, I had no idea what was going to happen, but like on my other Windows computers, I always get all the updates. I installed the Boot Camp drivers, and then accessed Windows Update. I had it install all the critical updates, and then it prompted me to restart the computer, and when I re-entered XP, I no longer my connection to my wireless network, the little wireless icon in the taskbar, along with the Boot Camp icon and Bluetooth had disappeared, and I had even lost some administrative privileges , such as when I found Boot camp in Control Panel I believe, and when I asked it to restart back in Leopard, it said I didn't have the administrative privileges to do it. Fortunately, I was able to just restart the computer and use the option key to boot back into Leopard, but I found the only way to fix it was to just do a clean install for XP. After having to do this countless number of times, I decided to just install a few updates at a time. I only installed about the first 10 security updates or so, the IE upgrade, and the Malware thing, and the Boot camp icon still disappeared, but my wireless icon didn't. Despite it saying that I had an excellent connection, when I went to open IE the page could not be found. I tried to diagnose the problem, and it said to restart settings in WinSock or something, so I did that and but it didn't fix anything. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off not updating at all, since it'll save me the hassle of having to install and reinstall XP over and over again, unless someone can tell me what's going on and how I could possibly fix it.