Office 2008 Review

1 post in this topic

Today I received my boxed copy of Office 2008 for Mac and I have been real excited to try it. I have been playing around with it and it is very promising. I got the Home and Student Version since that was most affordable and since I only needed Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

Here are a few things I would like to say. I have always been a Office 2007 user for Windows and used it via VMWare Fusion until I got this box today and started installing this on my Mac

So without Further Ado, Here is my Review

Firstly the installation. Office sports a nice new sleek and easy to use installation. All I had to do is a couple of clicks and Enter my Product Key and it was sorting out itself. It also searches out old versions of Office and removes them. I am afraid I can't tell you more about removing the old Office becuase I don't have a copy but I am assured that it should work just fine <_>

Office_Install.png

Right next thing. Office got a nice new set of icons. Some nice shiny ones which are fully compatible with Cover Flow in Leopard. Below is a Preview I took for all you eagle-eyed people wanting to see them :P

Office_Icons.png

Upon opening Office you will be greeted with the Project Center. Now it looks kinda annoying but you get used to it and it is quite cool. It helps you create the document you want quickly and easily. It also features various Templates which you can use. Some which are very nice. Below is a screenshot of the Project Center upon opening any Office Program.

Office_Project_Center.png

I have fondled around with Word, Excel and Powerpoint and I must say I am really impressed. Microsoft have really outdone themselves. There is no more clutter in your Workspace whilst using these programs. Everything is organized neatly into a nice Formatting Palette which Hovers to the side. Also there is a nice Palette on the Top which lets you choose the Template you want to work with. Some of the Templates are real good. Below are some screenshots of Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Entourage

Entourage_MyDay.png Office_Word_Screenshot.png Office_Entourage_Review.png Office_Powerpoint_Screenshot.png Office_Excel_Screenshot.png

I guess there ain't much else to say. I could go into how they function but you should know how Office functions and it is the same. If you think Office 2004 was good then you will love this. I haven't really worked with the program enough to tell you any flaws and I highly doubt there are any. It comes with most of the fonts that come with the Windows Version of Office 2007

I gave this a rating of 4.8/5. It lost 0.2 becuase during installation it likes to Put all the Icons into your Dock which I found real Annoying. Also Entourage's My Day has a real real small Buttons in the left hand corner. But maybe thats just meh :P

If you have any questions then feel free to ask. I know this ain't your extensive review but I just wanted to show some screenshots on how the products function in Office 08

Edit: The Build Number is: v12.0.0 (071130)