The Macbook Air is such an ugly piece of ****

41 posts in this topic

Are you kidding me!? People have anticipated a new macbook laptop for such a long time now, and finally it is announced and with pictures. It has got to be the ugliest thing i have ever seen. Why would you want something that thin? You would probably lose the thing so easily. And what if you put it on the ground, someone happens to walk by and smash!, your brand new $1800 laptop is gone. But that is not all, apple is going to release one with a solid state drive. Like someone is going to give a {censored} that they want a smaller hardrive, but just because it is faster, we are going to up the price to $3000. Apple dissapoints me everyday with their "innovative" products. I am tired of how much money apple puts into the looks of their products. They probably put so much money into it and it looks like a hooker with just a {censored} load of makeup on.

Aesthetically whatever, its ok. thinner and smaller is how the industry is going, I probably wouldn't buy this myself but i'm pretty sure they will make some decent sales with it. I'm not entirely sure i'd be putting a $3k laptop this one or any other for that matter, on the ground for someone to kick or step on ;)

As far as SSD drives, c'mon that's good stuff, . i'm glad to see apple using some performance oriented hardware, its taken some time but they're comin round seems like

NO LAN sucks if that's true, i'm pretty solid against wireless for anything more than surfing or email

Well, it's a great product, but it's clearly overpriced.

C'mon, look at those specs: they are perfectly ok for an ultra-portable notebook, but what about comparing them with a standard MacBook ones?

I'll spend two words about the hardware:

- Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1,6 ghz: fair enough. I think with some optimizations Leopard will run great on that processor. It's designed for that.

- 80 GB HDD: the same as the MacBook? Well, I don't really know what's in a MacBook, but I absolutely bet it's a SATA HD. But in the MBA you have just a PATA HDD... Not much fast, ye?

- GMA X3100: fair enough, it's the same of MacBook.

- No combo or superdrive: well... It's sad, but this was a forced choice. You can't physically put ANYTHING MORE in that thing. However, it's absurd they'll make us pay 99$ for an external drive!

- 2 GB of RAM: ...WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY? WHO THE HELL NEEDS 2 GB OF RAM IN SUCH A DEVICE?! THEY DON'T EVEN PUT IT IN THE STANDARD MACBOOK PRO!

And of course, the 64 GB SSD model is WAY TOO OVERPRICED. They are innovative, yes, but it costs too much.

Conclusion: that's a great product, but I think they won't sell a lot until they cut prices at least of 300$. Remember iPhone? They did the same thing.

Sherry Haibara

Well, it's a great product, but it's clearly overpriced.

C'mon, look at those specs: they are perfectly ok for an ultra-portable notebook, but what about comparing them with a standard MacBook ones?

I'll spend two words about the hardware:

- Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1,6 ghz: fair enough. I think with some optimizations Leopard will run great on that processor. It's designed for that.

- 80 GB HDD: the same as the MacBook? Well, I don't really know what's in a MacBook, but I absolutely bet it's a SATA HD. But in the MBA you have just a PATA HDD... Not much fast, ye?

- GMA X3100: fair enough, it's the same of MacBook.

- No combo or superdrive: well... It's sad, but this was a forced choice. You can't physically put ANYTHING MORE in that thing. However, it's absurd they'll make us pay 99$ for an external drive!

- 2 GB of RAM: ...WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY? WHO THE HELL NEEDS 2 GB OF RAM IN SUCH A DEVICE?! THEY DON'T EVEN PUT IT IN THE STANDARD MACBOOK PRO!

And of course, the 64 GB SSD model is WAY TOO OVERPRICED. They are innovative, yes, but it costs too much.

Conclusion: that's a great product, but I think they won't sell a lot until they cut prices at least of 300$. Remember iPhone? They did the same thing.

Sherry Haibara

2GB is the standard for macbook pro. I dont know what your reading.

sorry i was so mad at that keynote, and when they announced the macbook air i was pretty upset, because it really isn't great, and why make something so small and thin, i don't like the whole design.

once again, i'm sorry.

A lot of people like small and thin notebooks. Sony used to be king of that market. I suspect that Apple will pull a lot of those fans over because Apple just beat Sony in the tiny notebook game - not an easy task.

This is one type of notebook guys. You'd think you guys had never heard of a sub-notebook computer. Look at ANY other company: as the size goes down on their notebooks so does the specs, and the price goes UP.

The sheer fact that they didn't discontinue the other Macbook models should be cue enough that this is competing in a different segment. If you want cheap, buy a Macbook. If you want fast, buy a Macbook Pro. If you want small, buy a Macbook Air. That's it's claim to fame and it's certainly doing small quite nicely.

awwadofgum: it sounds like small isn't what you're after. I'd suggest looking at Apple's other models to see which tickle's your fancy best :D. But do so with the understanding that there is a market out there for very, very small notebooks. The people who buy them usually don't care about performance much at all (and being that they are often corporate customers, price often isn't a big concern either). It's all about weight, thickness, and battery life. Apple did well on all those points with the Macbook Air.

Hell I'd be willing to be that if it would shave an extra pound and 1/8" thickness off of it people some would pay an extra $500 and take a 1ghz chip with 512mb of RAM.

PS: the tiny notebooks aren't my cup of tea either. My current notebook (the one in my sig running Vista) is a monster of a thing weighing about 7 lbs with a big widescreen on it. Heck I don't like the Mac Mini's compact (and so non-expandable) nature a lot either. I still can appreciate that many others may find such features appealing though.

I think it is great. Overpriced, but really really great.

I don't believe the small size should make it anything but LESS costly. This should be in the $1400 price range.

The fact that it does not have a DVD drive or ethernet connection dosen't bother me at all. It should be shipped usb ethernet and a usb dvd for that $1400 - $1500 price

Are you kidding me!? People have anticipated a new macbook laptop for such a long time now, and finally it is announced and with pictures. It has got to be the ugliest thing i have ever seen. Why would you want something that thin? You would probably lose the thing so easily. And what if you put it on the ground, someone happens to walk by and smash!, your brand new $1800 laptop is gone. But that is not all, apple is going to release one with a solid state drive. Like someone is going to give a {censored} that they want a smaller hardrive, but just because it is faster, we are going to up the price to $3000. Apple dissapoints me everyday with their "innovative" products. I am tired of how much money apple puts into the looks of their products. They probably put so much money into it and it looks like a hooker with just a {censored} load of makeup on.

I believe its "thinnovative"

and damn..lol calm down if you dont wanna buy it..DONT! I think it's a rather sexy machine myself.

seriously, i dont see what everyone is complaining about. We all wanted a replacement for the 12" powerbook, that was thinner and lighter than a macbook and that's what we got. Sure it doesn't have some of the ports, or a replaceable battery, but that was the design in mind. Other companies sacrifice looks and processor speed, Apple chose other things. The Air is designed for people who want a super thin laptop, that they can carry everywhere. And Awwadofgum, I dont see where youre coming from, if you step on any laptop its going to be damaged, and wouldn't you be careful enough with it not to lose it? SSD is the future of laptop drives, and Apple is bringing this technology to the masses. Even the complaints about no ehternet port or replaceable battery aren't that important, since there is a usb-ethernet adapter, and there will probably be external battery packs available. Apple is taking a risk with this device, and I'm glad they have gotten back to computers, instead of ipods and phones.

Dont buy Air. I'll buy it if i can. This is the laptop for me. I am taking it everyday with me and carrying everywhere. Macbook is heavy enough. This is the best that could be. 3 pounds and 13" screen. I dont like sony and others because of their 11" screens and 1.2ghz cpu with price like Air with SSD drive. The performance is perfect for everyday office/internet.

seriously, i dont see what everyone is complaining about. We all wanted a replacement for the 12" powerbook.

and this isn't one.

The 12 inch powerbook was smaller and sleeker than the ibook (though only marginally) and boasted at least slightly better specs. Yes it cost more than the ibook but that money got you a product that afaict was as good or better than the ibook in every category.

The air is better than the macbook in terms of weight and marginally better in terms of size. Afaict in every other category it is the same or worse, no optical drive, hardly any ports, less storage, sealed in battery, forced to choose between an even slower processor and an even smaller solid state drive and so on.

The 12 inch powerbook was smaller and sleeker than the ibook (though only marginally) and boasted at least slightly better specs. Yes it cost more than the ibook but that money got you a product that afaict was as good or better than the ibook in every category.

You do realize though that the Air is half as thin as the Powerbook, 1.6 pounds lighter, and a bigger screen. Apple doesn't want to be like the competition with smaller screens. Theyve found that 13.3" is the perfect compromise between size and portability and I agree. Remember too that the first powerbook had a lot of lost features too: 640mb max ram, no gigabit ethernet, etc. The Air will only get much, much better in the next 2 years or so.

Why would you want something that thin? You would probably lose the thing so easily. And what if you put it on the ground, someone happens to walk by and smash!, your brand new $1800 laptop is gone.

This has *got* to be the most stupid thing I've ever read.

1.) You want something that thin because it's incredibly sexy.

2.) You do *NOT* put it on the ground. What are you doing to your notebooks? You just leave them somewhere on the ground and hope someone's gonna kick it?!