MacBook Air official...and more expensive than MacBook? What the hell?

Lostgame

49 posts in this topic

yea. i'm not gonna lie. you get a whole lot more power out of the MacBook for a hell of a lot cheaper. there are many things i'm willing to pay for the look and feel, for example, the iPod Touch. but when it comes to an actual computer, the value of MacBook air is total {censored}.

its a cute paperthin computer but i'm not sure i see anything beyond the "cool" factor. its not a professional computer (sorry guys, its really not) and its not as powerful as a pimped-out macbook that still remains cheaper.

and if anyone ever had a macbook air and wanted to use my Superdrive wirelessly, i'll tell them to go f--- themselves, go buy a real computer not an $1800 ipod with a keyboard and Leopard. oh and no remote included, just an IR.

Wow, that was a very mature post, congratulations...

Lets not start a flame war here, people...

I didn't like the iPod until the first nano came out, and I bought one. I didn't like the Macintosh IIci but when the IIsi came out I bought one.

maybe you should wait for the macbook air 2? :o if you like it, you should get it

Okay, okay, this is ridiculous. This whole damn thing is ridiculous, think about it.

A sub-$1000 notebook (which this could've easily been) would have completely destroyed Apple's competition. If they released a notebook for $799 that would suddenly change a whole shitload of people's abilities to buy these computers...instead they charge for worse/less hardware than their lowest-priced computer. This has really made me start thinking negatively about Apple. What a horrible decision for them.

my honest opinion, u guys should jus wait it out for the Macbook Air pricing to drop... It will drop within the next 6mths cos currently, only apple is using the intel chip... now that the other notebook companies learn of the small form factor C2D chip, they will be scrambling to sign contracts with intel to embed it into their new portable notebooks....

when this happens, the price of the chip will drop and so will the price of the MBA...

Plus, this is a laptop that is already very demanding on its form factor, dun ask for the impossible to be done on such tight constraints, unless u're an engineer and u can prove that such a thing is possible... In my really honest and frank opinion, the price is a little steep to be placed between MBP and MB... but the specs are definitely great for people who are on the road... i can forsee my gf getting one when the price drops...

lol, the MacBook Air isn't going to fly off shelves like the iPhone did. The people who really want one will buy right off the bat, and the people who are familiar with Apple's history (iPhone) will wait for a price drop. And if a price drop doesn't come -- oh well!

A sub-$1000 notebook (which this could've easily been) would have completely destroyed Apple's competition. If they released a notebook for $799 that would suddenly change a whole {censored}load of people's abilities to buy these computers..

I know! I was expecting a ~10 inch screen, a 1.5 Ghz processor (not necessarily a C2D) and 1 GB of RAM or so. If it cost less than $1,000 and ran full OS X that would be fantastic. It wouldn't need a touch screen or special touch trackpad or anything like that.

People just have no idea of their own argument. MacBook Air is in the Ultra-Portables market. Not regular Laoptop, or Desktop market. Please understand, that the smaller it is with the more powerful processing poewer, the more expensive it is too.

If you are complaining about the price etc, then go get something that suit you, no product in this world is designed for everybody, we all have different needs. I have been using ultra-portables for years. I know it comes with a cost. Cause I don't wanna carry a super-powerful desktop with me when I zoom around in flights, and by the way, I am sure the price you pay for Macbook Air will get you a very super powerful desktop, unless you don't mind using a desktop when you are out there running meetings and also at the coffee place like starbucks, and don't forget about the UPS too.

Matthew

Don't waste your time, people with narrow vision only see it's own needs/desires.

I agree with you I prefer a lighter less space laptop to carry than a super powerfull bulky laptop, for that I have a Mac Pro.

I have a feeling they're gonna upgrade the MacBook Air in just a few months.. Here's a quote I found from MacRumors.

The CPU in the MacBook Air is a 65nm Merom based Core 2 Duo, with a 4MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB and runs at either 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz. The packaging technology used for this CPU is what makes it unique; the CPU comes in a package that was originally reserved for mobile Penryn due out in the second half of 2008 with the Montevina SFF Centrino platform. Intel accelerated the introduction of the packaging technology specifically for Apple it seems.

If the new mobile Penryn is going to use the same packaging as this mini mobile Core 2, then I'm sure Apple will use it in an upcoming machine.. I think I'll hold out for the new one before ordering my MacBook Air. :)

People just have no idea of their own argument. MacBook Air is in the Ultra-Portables market. Not regular Laoptop, or Desktop market. Please understand, that the smaller it is with the more powerful processing poewer, the more expensive it is too.

Matthew

If it were 12 inches or less, then I'd call it an "Ultra-portable" computer. It's just a skinnier MacBook, period. You're still going to carry around at least a 13.3" laptop bag. (in fact, I can fit my MacBook and MBP in an envelope :D (

))

It's not even about the price -- it's about sacrificing function for form -- and companies like IBM (Lenovo) have already proven that you don't need to dummy processing performance or even removing optical drives to have a thinner, lighter computer.