MacBook Air

Numberzz

161 posts in this topic

The MacBook Air doesn't ship for another 3 weeks (According to Apple Store)

No that's NOT what the Apple store says ;) Quit lying! The Apple site says TWO (2) to three weeks, but you're obviously blind to telling the truth with everything else, so why start telling the truth now, huh clidster? :rolleyes:

is also not yet on the market.

It HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED AND AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE :rolleyes: Guess you forgot that part huh Einstein? :rolleyes:

Now everyone here can't wait for your response to tell us the date when your phantom laptom will be available :whistle:

IF YOU CAN'T GIVE US A DATE, then it shows just how much you are full of BS and grasping at straws. Weird ;)

Recent MacBook Air test have shown that the battery also only lasts about 3 hours.

No, the actual reviews that we've seen said that it lasts for 4-4.5 hours WITH everything turned on. For most people they should get 4.5-5.0 hours under normal use. Someone from the site here is buying one so we'll see what kind of time they get. Personally I hope that another company DOES make a better laptop than the MB Air. It will push Apple to take a more common sense approach for all future products, but until someone does, you have no basis to whine about it.

There hasn't even been a set price for the X300

GLAD TO SEE YOU FINALLY WAKE UP AND ADMIT SOMETHING :rolleyes: With NO final price announced, and no confirmed specs, you cannot (as of yet) honestly compare it to the MB Air. Talk to us when you have something confirmed. Until then, you know where you can file your speculations ;)

IF YOU CAN'T GIVE US A DATE, then it shows just how much you are full of BS and grasping at straws. Weird ;)

No, the actual reviews that we've seen said that it lasts for 4-4.5 hours WITH everything turned on. For most people they should get 4.5-5.0 hours under normal use. Someone from the site here is buying one so we'll see what kind of time they get. Personally I hope that another company DOES make a better laptop than the MB Air. It will push Apple to take a more common sense approach for all future products, but until someone does, you have no basis to whine about it.

OMG CLIDE U LIED IT SAYS 2 to 3 WEEKS NOT 3 WEEKS OMG -- you sound like the Kindergardeners I was teaching a couple months back while they were playing lego. :hysterical:And if it's available at the Apple store today -- go in today and buy one, and come back onto the board and tell us how that works out! kthnx!

Anyways, whats your source to the 5 hour battery tests? I can't find any - but - heres a couple links to the 3 hour battery tests:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edw...ir-review_N.htm

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080124/apple...omits-features/

OMG CLIDE U LIED IT SAYS 2 to 3 WEEKS NOT 3 WEEKS

That's right! Even those kindergardeners understand that a lie is a statement that deviates from the truth. State the FACTS, and not "your own version" of the facts. Those are two different things ;)

whats your source to the 5 hour battery tests?

I think it was posted last week (New York Times?). I will see if I can locate it again for you. I'm sure in the next few weeks we'll be seeing a ton of reviews, both good and bad, for it. Here is an interesting review from Japan comparing the MB Air to the Sony Vaio. Typically Japan has never really enbraced Apple, but when one reviewer was asked what they though about the new MB Air AFTER they actually had some time to play with it they said:

JD: So what do you think will be the reaction to this in Japan, a country obsessed with light and thin in consumer electronics?

AW: My guess is that many Japanese people will switch to Mac this year.

I am a Windows user and I love my [Panasonic] Let's Note, but I have to say that I love the MacBook Air. It completely charmed me.

Check out the picture here that compares them side by side. Like you, I am not fully sold on it, but there are many people that obviously feel differently, and worldwide I think it will be a big seller. Time will tell, but I hope it doesn't sell "too good" because then Apple will never consider to add Firewire to it :P

Here is the site from Japan that did a video on it. She was the windows user quoted above. There is more here, but I guess Apple is having them remove a lot from the site. Here is a review from Newsweek:

The Air is a lithe sheath of aluminum so slim that it can slide under my office door. Packed inside the shell--which is three quarters of an inch at its thickest point, trailing off to a wispy 0.16 inches--is two gigabytes of memory, a bright 13.3-inch screen (lit by cutting-edge LED technology) and a full-size keyboard. This is a top-of-the-line array for a subnotebook. And, of course, it runs the Macintosh Leopard operating system, which you know, if you've seen the ads, is superior to Microsoft's competing Vista OS.

There's another good review here from cnet. They echo what we've been saying all along:

And while the MacBook Air's specs are inferior to those found on the cheaper MacBook, they compare more favorably when you look at other ultraportables, where a price premium is always exacted. For instance, both the Sony VAIO TZ150 and Toshiba Portege R500 cost hundreds more than the MacBook Air and feature slower CPUs and half the RAM as the Air.

The MB Air will be great for some, and miss the mark for others. No laptop is perfect for everyone.

Can everyone stop fighting now? :)

Those pics is the new MacBook AirCraft look HOT.

I dropped my pre-order just to wait for one of those!

Anyways, can we just agree to disagree? It's right for some, not right for others. For instance, my blog contains my reasons for getting it, but those reasons differ greatly for everyone else. Simple!

I think even as reviews come out, (mine included) the conclusion will be the same. The real question, then, is among ultra-portables, is this a better deal? Even then, there will be debates of wether it is. Some of that will focus on the footprint, others the hard drive. But let compare this with other notebooks of the market in which it lives, not those outside the market. This isn't (I don't think, anyways) supposed to compete with "full-size" notebooks like the regular MacBook, it's meant to compete with the Vaios and Toshibas and Lenovos of the world. Well, those companies' smaller laptops...

So let's all stop the fighting and resort to nice, logical, statistical, mathematical, reasoning. Couldn't think of any more adjectives to go before the participial noun 'reasoning'. BTW is that what you call 'reasoning' in that context?

-Urbz

This is GOOD news for all Mac notebooks ;)

Indeed it is. I hope that Apple applies some of what they developed and learned while making the Air to the Macbook and Macbook Pro. It'd be great if they update the MB and MBP to look like the air and have the same style of illuminated keyboard too.

@Macbook AirCraft: I actually lawl'd, so funny.

Indeed it is. I hope that Apple applies some of what they developed and learned while making the Air to the Macbook and Macbook Pro. It'd be great if they update the MB and MBP to look like the air and have the same style of illuminated keyboard too.

I'm sure elements of the Macbook Air will make it in to the rest of the Macbook line. If we analyze the history of the iPod, it becomes readily apparent that every feature that is different first got branched into a separate product line and then merged into the regular iPod line. Examples are the click-wheel, color screen, video, and overall strive for "thinness". If this is any indication, the touch pad, LED display and great styling will make it into the other Macbooks eventually, while Apple buys more of these chips from Intel to make this product more powerful without sacrificing anything and maybe at a certain point dropping these tiny core 2 duos into the Macbooks.

Just my two cents!

-Urbz

No it's not! No manufacture here said that anything was "xxxxxx in the world". Stop putting words in their mouth, or is that the only way that you can satisfy your ego? :unsure:

It was a comparison, he wasn't putting words in their mouths.

I hope that Apple applies some of what they developed and learned while making the Air to the Macbook and Macbook Pro.

It will go even further than just their notebooks. What they've done with the MB Air could VERY easily be adapted to the Mac Mini, to produce a Mac Mini Pro version. This is really great news and smart developmental planning on Apples part. Not only that, but because it would cost so much less to manufacture such a computer, their profits would increase and consumer pricing would decrease over time. The best news about the MB Air isn't the 'Air' itself, it's what they've learned about shrinking down everything to a few chips. For example; today I'm working on a customers Dell laptop that's only around 3 years old and it's guts are 3 times more plentiful. That means more heat build-up, less dependability, and higher overall cost. Companies can get away with it because up until now all companies were pretty much in the same boat, but now it looks like Apple has taken a big step in improvement and it will trickle down their entire line. I'd be willing to bet that we see more of this before years end :)

It was a comparison, he wasn't putting words in their mouths.

If you go back and review then actually he was trying to do this. He implied that Apple said something that they didn't when he tried to compare the Air with another computer that's not even on the market from way back in 1998. If he wasn't trying to put words in Apples mouth then that comparison would have been a moot point :)

If you go back and review then actually he was trying to do this. He implied that Apple said something that they didn't when he tried to compare the Air with another computer that's not even on the market from way back in 1998. If he wasn't trying to put words in Apples mouth then that comparison would have been a moot point :D

I did review. That's why I chimed in. And he wasn't, he was just using a comparison to help him with his point.

Lostgame your comparison is not right, first the disk on the MBA is not SATA is IDE, ans is not $700 de diff but $550 because the RAM size.

Also you left 3 rows out: weight, size and LED screen.

Maybe those at not important to you, but for others have more importance than the rest of your comparison rows.

Another rows that I personally consider is the plastic/aluminium enclosure, for me those plastic Macbooks are like toys, and battery life and power consumption.

air is air.accept it already.

it's not built to be concurrence of macbook.

it's built for office application ,listening mp3,watching movies,browsing the web.and there's no need for some power to do that stuff right.

i mean,there's no need to compare those two machine cause it's stupid ... [no hard fillings]

~R

Lostgame your comparison is not right

Not to mention the fact that he's still comparing apples to oranges, or in this case, a full sized laptop :rolleyes:

The correct graphics chip is an Intel North Bridge GS965, the video chip is a Silicon Image SIL1392CNU HDMI chip.

he was just using a comparison to help him with his point.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but for the record I disagree.

the disk on the MBA is not SATA is IDE

That's correct, the MacBook Air comes standard with an 80 GB 4200 RPM Parallel ATA hard disk drive. This is the same route that they took with the Mac Mini, so SATA will be coming down the pike. The MB Air also uses a new style of aluminum heat sink, never used before in a MacBook, which is why they probably went with a 4200 RPM drive. I see great things for this laptop in the future. Check out the size comparison below next to a typical MacBook. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the picture below says exactly why this laptop will sell well :thumbsup_anim:

mbtop.gif

...I just don't get it. It's like...about half the size...why is that worth $550? I just don't get it...it's so stupid to me...

It's cool, it's thin, it's light, ok. if you remove an optical drive from the notebook it loses weight, if you remove a hdd drive and replace it with a ssd it loses more. But what happens if you need an optical drive to install smth or upgrade a ssd? well you can use another station's optical if you are at home or office (so: limited mobility - you still need another pc or mac), and you can always use an external hard drive for storage (limited again! - carry more item) or buy a replacement upgrade (maybe later). You can pay green papers to apple again and again.

So, if you want to build an ultra mobile computer, just remove everything.

There are also good things with Mac Air, really!. For example multitouch trackpad. Long battery life. Led display. But if i wanna buy a brand new mac, i prefer macbook pro.