99argonaut

39 posts in this topic

Computer Type: Laptop Dell XPS M1530

Sound Card Vendor: Sigmatel

Sound Card Model: 9228

Vendor Id: 0x83847616

Working: Onboard Speakers / Headphones / Volume control on the laptop

Did not test microphone input

Patcher Version used: 1.16 (1.20 did not work)

System Version: Mac OS X Leopard 10.1.5

It was a painful exersize testing all the combinations. None of the existing Sigmatel STAC9228 codes posted seem to work with my new M1530. As a result I ended up making a dump of the systems codec using linux (see other threads on this forum on how to). Patch attempts with v1.20 of AppleHDA did not work but thanks to all the postings here I did see some success with other XPS laptops using older versions. v1.16 did the trick for me and surprisingly enough most things seem to work pretty well . Now if I can just figure out to get some bloody ethernet and wireless going on this thing I can stop using Vista ;-)

codecdump9228_rev1.txt

I have recently received my dell xps m1530 with the nvidia 8600m gt, blu-ray drive, dell wireless 1490, HDD 160 GB 7200 rpm, and I'm planning to install mac osx86 on my note book

I see 99argonaut that you have successfully installed it on you m1530. What DVD did you used to get it done? With the audio card issue now solved, my dell xps m1530 will run Leopard perfectly!!! :D

I would really be very thankful for any kind of assistance in this matter

• 2 weeks later...
For M1530 (and similar) check this guide: [Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700

Thank you very much MacGirl

I had successfully installed Leopard on my m1530 with the Kalyway DVD, and everything is working just fine; the built in spears are working but I have no sound on the headphones outs; I haved not tried the Mic input.

What is the trick to get the headphones outs working?

Well, I'll be reporting any news of my Leopard experience con my dell xps m1530

Salu2!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thank you very much MacGirl

I had successfully installed Leopard on my m1530 with the Kalyway DVD, and everything is working just fine; the built in spears are working but I have no sound on the headphones outs; I haved not tried the Mic input.

What is the trick to get the headphones outs working?

Well, I'll be reporting any news of my Leopard experience con my dell xps m1530

Salu2!!!!

hi el_rocko,

you said, that everything is working fine on your xps-m1530? is this for real? i mean. did you get the ethernet (yukon) and wifi working on your m1530? if yes, do you have intel-wifi or dell-truemobile?

would you be so kind and tell me, how you get the marvell yukon ethernet (which is inside the m1530) working? because i did not get it working.

thanks very much

• 2 months later...

Yes, you are right :). I have a vostro 1400 with this sigmatel 9228 codec. AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 works but 1.20 does not. However, mic (external or internal) and internal speakers don't work with 1.16. And with 1.20, although external mic and internal speakers and headphones work, things stop working after reboot. (Sleep solution is not an option for me as I have another issue that the machine can't sleep/shutdown/reboot properly due to Nvidia graphics and Natit.kext.)

I decided to look deeper as to why. And I found that with 1.20, some ConfigData is written to initialize the device that causes trouble. See the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If you delete the ConfigData (by replacing the ascii poem in the data section under it), then the codec will work even after reboot - no sleep or other workarounds required. However, the internal speakers don't work for me without the ConfigData - because it maps the pin node for my internal speakers.

Conversely, if you want to get mic working with 1.16, edit the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change the pin mapping. With the help if the Info.plist of 1.20 version and the source code for ALSA, I could find the appropriate edits.

Note that reading the ALSA source code (alsa-driver/sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c), I could figure out that some sort of ConfigData is required for some pin remapping to make the internal speakers work.

Without any more mumbo jumbo, here is the modified kexts (made from 1.16 and then editing the Info.plist). The usual procedure to install : delete (possibly after backup) the files AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext and AppleAzalia.kext form /System/Library/Extensions) and copy the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from this archive to /System/Library/Extensions/, possibly changing permissions.

What works : All the three front jacks - headphone, line-out and mic.

What doesn't : Internal speaker and internal mic.

applehda_sigmatel9228_hdas.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you are right :). I have a vostro 1400 with this sigmatel 9228 codec. AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 works but 1.20 does not. However, mic (external or internal) and internal speakers don't work with 1.16. And with 1.20, although external mic and internal speakers and headphones work, things stop working after reboot. (Sleep solution is not an option for me as I have another issue that the machine can't sleep/shutdown/reboot properly due to Nvidia graphics and Natit.kext.)

I decided to look deeper as to why. And I found that with 1.20, some ConfigData is written to initialize the device that causes trouble. See the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If you delete the ConfigData (by replacing the ascii poem in the data section under it), then the codec will work even after reboot - no sleep or other workarounds required. However, the internal speakers don't work for me without the ConfigData - because it maps the pin node for my internal speakers.

Conversely, if you want to get mic working with 1.16, edit the file AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change the pin mapping. With the help if the Info.plist of 1.20 version and the source code for ALSA, I could find the appropriate edits.

Note that reading the ALSA source code (alsa-driver/sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c), I could figure out that some sort of ConfigData is required for some pin remapping to make the internal speakers work.

Without any more mumbo jumbo, here is the modified kexts (made from 1.16 and then editing the Info.plist). The usual procedure to install : delete (possibly after backup) the files AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext and AppleAzalia.kext form /System/Library/Extensions) and copy the HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from this archive to /System/Library/Extensions/, possibly changing permissions.

What works : All the three front jacks - headphone, line-out and mic.

What doesn't : Internal speaker and internal mic.

Your file actually got me my Audio working perfectly on my Dell 1530 XPS

Hello MacGirl. thank for all.

Buy I have a little problem: I can install your STAC9228_0x83847616 ext en my Inspiron 1420, but i only hear lineout put the built speakers dont play anything. I change audiomidi but nothing hapen.

PD: My wifi and my x3100 dont run. only 1024 and QE offcourse: disabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, hdas. Your fix got my sound to at least work through the headphone port. Have any advancements been made in getting the internal speakers supported on a Vostro 1400 with STAC9228 yet?

Once I have that, I think I can ditch Windows on this laptop completely! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Working: Onboard Speakers / Headphones / Volume control on the laptop

Did not test microphone input

Patcher Version used: 1.16 (1.20 did not work)

System Version: Mac OS X Leopard 10.1.5

It was a painful exersize testing all the combinations. None of the existing Sigmatel STAC9228 codes posted seem to work with my new M1530. As a result I ended up making a dump of the systems codec using linux (see other threads on this forum on how to). Patch attempts with v1.20 of AppleHDA did not work but thanks to all the postings here I did see some success with other XPS laptops using older versions. v1.16 did the trick for me and surprisingly enough most things seem to work pretty well . Now if I can just figure out to get some bloody ethernet and wireless going on this thing I can stop using Vista ;-)

Hello, thanks for this. Sounds stupid but how do i install this?

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Confirming that deleting ConfigData as detailed in post 15 ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=837502 ) of this thread by hdas took care of the reboot problem in AppleHDA.kext on a XPS M1530. Now sound works consistently even after a reboot or shutdown. (Note: Clean reboot and shutdown still doesn't work, have a NV 8600 GT). Have Int. Speaker, Headphone jack and Mic jack working. Haven't tried to get internal mic working.

Mac OS X 10.5.5

Working: Onboard Speakers / Headphones / Volume control on the laptop / Mic in

Internal Mic not working

Used AppleHDA.kext from MacGirls's thread

Thanks macgirl and hdas.... and of course... Taruga

Could you provide more details on how to go from the codec dump to the Info.plist edits? I am trying to get the internal mic working on an Inspiron 1525, and when I use v1.20 of the patcher the ConfigData fields of both AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/Info.plist are blank, so I don't have much to go on. I've been staring at the stac92xx_set_config_regs function of the ALSA source code for a while now hoping it will illuminate itself, but no luck yet.

I've attached the codec dump, in case it's useful. Using v1.16 of the patcher, this gives me internal speakers and left headphone jack fine, while using v1.20 it gives me nothing. Thanks for any advice.

[TMB]

codec2.txt