MAC OS X86 on DELL D800

MarineCorps97

69 posts in this topic

Just thought that I would post to everyone that I have gotten MAC OSX86 running native on a Dell D800:

MAC OSX86 811111G (JAS 4.2 Patch)

Processor: 2.0 Ghz Centrino Processor

RAM: 2 GB

Video: Nvidia Go5650 - 128 MB

Internal Ethernet: Broadcom 57xx (working 100Mb)

Wireless: Intell 2200BG (not working)

Bluetooth (working)

As far as I can tell it is smoking fast, and runs stable. I have running MSN Messenger as well, and I am going to attempt a couple of additional software installation tonight.

MarineCorps97

• 1 month later...

Hello Community,

I got the same Problem. I am using a Dell D800 with an internal Broadcom 57xx Card LAN Network Chip. I have tried some of the Resolutions that were posted here in the Forum, but they didn't work for me. The Ethernet Option in the Netork Settings is already greyed out.

I use the OSX 10.4.5 and all seams to work fine. The Network Connection ist the only Problem i have got. Wireless should be fine, but it's not so important. Mostly i had to use the Standard Ethernet Connection so that I would be very happy if someone could help to get the Network working. MarineCorps97 seems to solve the Problem, but how ????

I'm a OSX "Newbie".

Thanks for your help.

Human

Hello Together,

i have found a Solution that works for my Dell D800 Broadcom Card (Model 570x, Gigabit Integrated Controller, Vendor 14E4,Device 165D)

My System is an patched MacOS 10.4.5.

What have I done:

1. I Found a patched Driver somewhere here in the Board (Sorry, I have read so many threads, that I have forgotten the Name of the real publisher)

2. This Driver ist attended to this Post. I hope the patcher will allow this

3. Copy this Driver File to the Mac Desktop

4. Open Finder and navigate to System/Library/Extensions

5. Find the IONetworkingFamily.kext and copy it also to your Desktop

6. Mark it with the right Mousebutton and select "Show Package Content" or so.

-- Sorry I'm using a German Language OSX and so i don't know the real English Button Names. I think you will be able to find the correct ones ;-) --

7. Move in the opend KEXT to Contents and then to PlugIns

8. Find AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext and copy it to Desktop

-- The Copy to Desktop Actions are neccesary, otherwhile you could not edit the KEXT Files --

9. Mark the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with right Mouseclick and choose "Show Package Content" or so, like above

10. Navigate to Contents - MacOS

11. There You will find a File called AppleBCM5701Ethernet

12. Overwrite/ Replace this File with the patched one from your Desktop

13. During all these Steps it is possible that you have to Identify with your Root Passwort. Do so and you are able to replace the Files

14. At this time you have placed the modified Driver in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext ON YOUR DESKTOP

15. Now its time to complete the IONetworkingFamily.kext on YOUR DESKTOP

16. Therefore mark the in Step 5 copied File on Desktop with right MB and select "Show Package Content" or so

17. In the opend Package navigate to Contents-PlugIns

18. Copy your modified AppleBCM5701Ethernet (Step 14) from Desktop to this package. Replace the old One

19. After closing you got a modified IONetworkingFamily.kext on the Desktop

20. Now you have to copy this File to your System/Library/Extension Folder.

21. Navigate there with Finder and replace the existing one with the modified one from Desktop

22. The KEXT is now replaced an you have to do some jobs in the Terminal

23. Open Terminal and execute the following Commands:

sudo -s

cd /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

24. Now you have to do a Reboot.

25. The Network should now work

26. At my System an other Error occured.After the second Reboot OSX showed that the patched File was not correct loaded. The Network was again greyed out :-(((

27. To handle this problem, open the DiskManagement Tool form MAC OSX.

38. Choosee your Systempartition and select the Opinion to repair the Acces Rights on this Volume.

39. After the next reboot the System worked fine and the Network Card was working

I hope this Workarround works also for your System. My special thanks goes to the real Patcher of the Driver. Sorry that I have forgotten his Name. Without his patching my Network would never come to live....

Human

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.zip

Thanks Human for the great instructions. Unfortunatley this did not work for me. I even did a clean install with 10.4.5 and no luck.

Has anyone else have networking up and running on a Dell Latitude D610? Or can anyone let me know where to look to try and troubleshoot this issue?

I looked in /var/log/system.log and can see that it is unable to get an ethernet address or find a wireless driver.

But it doesnt say why. Anywhere else i can look for clues?

Thanks

Hello Heywood,

just a Question:

Have you checked if the Device ID form the Networkadapter is listed in the Info.plist of AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext ?

There should be an entry in the section

<key>IONameMatch</key>

>array>

<string>pciXXXXX,YYYY</string>

XXXXX is the Vendor for me it was 14e4

YYYYYY is the Device ID for me it was 4320

You can find your ID's best in Windows. Boot there, Open the Device Manager and look at the "Details" from your Network Adapter.

If not, insert you ID, rebuild the Extansionscache and have a second try ....

P.S.: In the Meantime i got my Wireless working. Take a look in this thread:

Link

For me it works fine.

Good Luck

Human

Hello Together,

i have found a Solution that works for my Dell D800 Broadcom Card (Model 570x, Gigabit Integrated Controller, Vendor 14E4,Device 165D)

My System is an patched MacOS 10.4.5.

What have I done:

1. I Found a patched Driver somewhere here in the Board (Sorry, I have read so many threads, that I have forgotten the Name of the real publisher)

2. This Driver ist attended to this Post. I hope the patcher will allow this

3. Copy this Driver File to the Mac Desktop

4. Open Finder and navigate to System/Library/Extensions

5. Find the IONetworkingFamily.kext and copy it also to your Desktop

6. Mark it with the right Mousebutton and select "Show Package Content" or so.

-- Sorry I'm using a German Language OSX and so i don't know the real English Button Names. I think you will be able to find the correct ones ;-) --

7. Move in the opend KEXT to Contents and then to PlugIns

8. Find AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext and copy it to Desktop

-- The Copy to Desktop Actions are neccesary, otherwhile you could not edit the KEXT Files --

9. Mark the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with right Mouseclick and choose "Show Package Content" or so, like above

10. Navigate to Contents - MacOS

11. There You will find a File called AppleBCM5701Ethernet

12. Overwrite/ Replace this File with the patched one from your Desktop

13. During all these Steps it is possible that you have to Identify with your Root Passwort. Do so and you are able to replace the Files

14. At this time you have placed the modified Driver in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext ON YOUR DESKTOP

15. Now its time to complete the IONetworkingFamily.kext on YOUR DESKTOP

16. Therefore mark the in Step 5 copied File on Desktop with right MB and select "Show Package Content" or so

17. In the opend Package navigate to Contents-PlugIns

18. Copy your modified AppleBCM5701Ethernet (Step 14) from Desktop to this package. Replace the old One

19. After closing you got a modified IONetworkingFamily.kext on the Desktop

20. Now you have to copy this File to your System/Library/Extension Folder.

21. Navigate there with Finder and replace the existing one with the modified one from Desktop

22. The KEXT is now replaced an you have to do some jobs in the Terminal

23. Open Terminal and execute the following Commands:

sudo -s

cd /

24. Now you have to do a Reboot.

25. The Network should now work

26. At my System an other Error occured.After the second Reboot OSX showed that the patched File was not correct loaded. The Network was again greyed out :-(((

27. To handle this problem, open the DiskManagement Tool form MAC OSX.

38. Choosee your Systempartition and select the Opinion to repair the Acces Rights on this Volume.

39. After the next reboot the System worked fine and the Network Card was working

I hope this Workarround works also for your System. My special thanks goes to the real Patcher of the Driver. Sorry that I have forgotten his Name. Without his patching my Network would never come to live....

Human

Hi Human,

I just want to say thanks for the instructions. I was also having problems with the broadcom integrated network card (Broadcom 570x) in my laptop, a Dell 600m. Not the same notebook, but it had the same network card, I checked the ven and ID using XP(network card-properties-details). I followed your instructions as best as I could and was successful. I am now dual booting XP and OSx86 10.4.5. using one harddrive with two partitions. Dual booting was a big pain in the butt until I changed my bootloader to Acronis OS selector.

I didn't get the error message that you got. My system booted perfectly the first time and the network card was also working, :D . Thank goodness because i was just about to delete the OSx86 partition. I don't know if this made a difference, but I was logged in as root with full priviledges (netinfo-security-enable root).

Anyways, thanks again.

Vess.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all that are having problems with a greyed-out connection: It is very likely that your only problem is not having the proper device and vendor ID placed in the <string> that humanmx posted above. Again, if you ethernet is greyed-out, the kext can obviously see your chipset... so give it a try. This solution "should" work for you.

-Jason

Hello Heywood,

just a Question:

Have you checked if the Device ID form the Networkadapter is listed in the Info.plist of AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext ?

There should be an entry in the section

<key>IONameMatch</key>

>array>

<string>pciXXXXX,YYYY</string>

XXXXX is the Vendor for me it was 14e4

YYYYYY is the Device ID for me it was 4320

You can find your ID's best in Windows. Boot there, Open the Device Manager and look at the "Details" from your Network Adapter.

If not, insert you ID, rebuild the Extansionscache and have a second try ....

P.S.: In the Meantime i got my Wireless working. Take a look in this thread:

Link

For me it works fine.

Good Luck

Human

I have a Dell GX280 and followed your instructions, but to no evail! I dont have Windows installed on the system - is this the only way to get this working? I'll have to install Windows first?

Edit - Ooh it looks like Dell have a utility to find that info!

Vendorid = 14E4

Productid = 1677

Hrm...added that info, but it still wouldnt work and I also done the verifying of file permissions. What am I doing wrong?! :blink:

Edit: put another network card in, so at least Im on the net now! If you guys could assist with the onboard one, it would be great :)

• 4 months later...

i guess so it doesnt work any more (after a restart) :D

the system extension "/system/libary/extensions/ionetworkingfamily.kentt" was installed improperaly and cannot be sued. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update"

the system extension "/system/libary/extensions/ionetworkingfamily.kext/contents/plugins/appleBCM5701ethernet.kext"was installed improperaly and cannot be sued. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update

I've followed each step precisely, after figuring out the confusing cryptic english the translator he used put it in, and got the job done.

However, my wired nic was still greyed out upon reboot when I finished, so I followed his procedure of repairing the file permissions, and rebooted again with no avail.

So I moved on to the next suggestion of checking the vendor and device id in the info.plist. Considering mine is "vendor=14e4 device=1677" instead of what the file had, I went back through the entire process of copying the .kext's to the desktop and once they were there I changed the appropriate .plist and I modified the last string field with my settings, saved it, and went through the entire process again, then rebooted.

Now come to find out, that the wired connection is still greyed out, the settings are in tact, my only question is would it have made any difference if I changed the first string to my settings instead of the last one?

Hi,

I have a Dell D410 and a Dell D610 laptops. I've been playing around with both for the last 2 weeks and finally got my method of triple booting Mac Os X, Win XP and Linux down to a tee :()

The problem is Mac drivers... I have the same Broadcom 57xx NIC (with same ID as someone else who posted here - 14e4 / 1677). I went through the process described by 'Human' - after doing all that I rebooted, it came back up still with no network, so I looked at the plist file and saw that my network card wasn't listed, so I added the <string>14e4,1677</string> line, rebooted again, but now it actually comes up with an error everytime I boot saying that the device was installed incorrectly and will not work. :o(

Reverting back to how it was isn't much good, because I'll still have no network - Is there a way I can run the process again, hopefully getting it right and getting it working?! If I run through it all again does anyone think it'll have any effect?

Has anyone else resolved this issue?

Thaks in advance... Oh, and if I could get my wireless (Intel 2200BG) working - that would be awesome! I've read somewhere that it's not supported...but where there's a will: there's a way!!

ok i just got this running on my dell 300m

Here are the steps i took

go to the info.plist in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file

add the following lines

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,1677</string>

Note: you can go to this wesite and get the proper ids based on your card http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=767

Once this is complete i install the patch following the instructions all the way until i get to the terminal part (i dont do anything in the terminal).

I then go to the Disk utility and perform the permissions repair

then reboot

everything worked great after that.

Way to revive a 6-month-old topic.

I have a Broadcom 57xx with those exact same manufacturer/device IDs. And it works. Unfortunately I'm not on the computer that has my Mac installation on it, so I can't post the kext ATM. I'll try and get around to it tomorrow. Maybe.

A couple annoying things about the way my card now works:

1. The MAC address always shows up completely zeroed out. Doesn't seem to affect operation though.

2. It won't get an IP address from DHCP. You have to manually set the IP, and you MUST set it to whatever address your router normally assigns to your Windows system.

For example, when XP runs on my PC, my Netgear router always assigns it the address 192.168.1.2. That's the address I had to manually set in Network configuration.

Sorry to keep you waiting for the kext, but I have no access to the computer containing the kext right now. Deal with it.

I guess I spoke too soon. I got my GX520 with the Broadcom NIC (14e4,1677) working!

I followed the instructions in "ual808" post

<http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=4987&hl=broadcom%2057xx&st=100>

I then changed the info.plist. I changed the 1659 to 1677 (same as what you do with hexedit in the driver)

Then at step 11, I did what Human posted in

<http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8162>

sudo -s

cd /

Rebooted.

then in terminal

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:13:72:18:XX:YY

and BAM. It works.

-doug

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am using 10.4.6 on a D800.

I am trying this command from the boot after booting up to the DVD-ROM "platform=X86PC -x -v".

I was able to install this on an Optiplex GX260 w/ no problems however, it didn't like the Intel video card where the GUI was unreadable during the installation so I used an ATi card.

edit:

The partition wasn't active. But I find it odd that the GX260 worked fine on first install.