Another (possible) dual booting guide

grayfox

26 posts in this topic

Heres a guide that I belive will work I would have posted this sooner but I was having problems with the activation email (I mistyped my email address).

This guide is untested so use at your own risk

Untested Guide: Booting xp on a mactel

What is needed
-A pc with an intel chipset
-knowledge of darwins bootloader or elilo
-Windows xp (Home or Pro both should work)
-[url=http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-015001.htm]ICH7M sata driver[/url]

Instructions
1) Remove the harddrive from the mactel

2) Hook it up to another machine and make an image of the harddrive
(Its always good to have a backup I recomend using DD to make the image)

3) Find a machine with a intel chipset and install windows xp on the mactel harddrive don't partition the whole harddrive leave a few gb for osx.

4)After windows is installed go to c:\windows\driver cache\i386\driver32.cab and copy over the ICH7M sata driver 

5)Put the mactels harddrive back in the mactel.

6)Install osx using the free space DON'T WIPE THE WINDOWS PARTITION

7)Edit darwins boot loader and add xp in there
(or use elilo)

8)Reboot

9)When you click on your username you will be told you need to activate windows

10)If this worked enjoy xp on your mactel

As far as I know the only time xp is comunicating with the bios is when the boot loader loads, by using a thirdparty boot loader xp has no contact with the bios.

However there is a possibility now that I think of it that xp might try talk to the bios to find out the acpi settings this may be a problem how ever I doute that it will be a problem but if somone following the guide wants to disable acpi all they have to do is press F7 or F5 durring xp setup.

As far as I know the only time xp is comunicating with the bios is when the boot loader loads, by using a thirdparty boot loader xp has no contact with the bios.

I believe Windows XP makes some BIOS calls during startup to initialize hardware, after the bootloader passed control to Windows. To solve this issue, some serious hacking of ntdetect.com and ntoskrnl.exe would probably be necessary.

But using windows Vista instead of Windows XP would probably get around this issue. Anyone tried that yet?

I believe Windows XP makes some BIOS calls during startup to initialize hardware, after the bootloader passed control to Windows. To solve this issue, some serious hacking of ntdetect.com and ntoskrnl.exe would probably be necessary.

But using windows Vista instead of Windows XP would probably get around this issue. Anyone tried that yet?

If thats the case its highly unlikely that anyone will beable to get xp running without the source code...at least running linux will be easy :withstupid:.

Not true grayfox. just means more work is all.

many dedicated and talented people (aka hackers) are working on this... With MS and Apple's blessings for once too!

Just a matter of time before one of us gets it.

Unless there going to be handing you the source code or doing it themselves it's highly unlikely you guys will beable to get this done without violating the dmca by doing something like reflashing the tsop with a hacked bios or hacking up xp.

So, anyone tried installing Vista instead of XP, the way described by grayfox initially?

As far as I know no one has atempted my guide yet... let alone with vista ;).

As far as I've read, no one's attempted your guide exactly yet. However, people have tried installing Windows Vista. The problem appears to be that in Beta (build 5270), the EFI and GPT capabilities haven't been activated yet, so it won't work. Presumabley, the final release later this year will work just fine.

yesterday MS made it clear that if it doesn't they will not be shipping a special version of Windows for Macs.

Anyone here ever thought that Microsoft would?

Anyway, for Vista to have full EFI compatibility it has to support booting from GPT disks and support the iMac's EFI. But Microsoft wouldn't be Microsoft if they would not ignore current standards and just implement what they like (like with Intenet Explorer's CSS compatibility ;) ).

Not true.

MS says they won't alter Vista to work on Mac.

Mac actually broke the EFI standards by removing MBR and BIOS backwards compatibility, which IS a requirement by the open firmware society.

Anyway, just because MS won't ALTER Vista to boot on Mac, that only means that we won't have a special Macintel Edition of Vista.. It does NOT mean that Vista won't work on it by default.

I'm an official MS Beta tester, I can tell you that MS is going balls-out standards, compliance, and security. w00t for progress, even if its years late

Mac actually broke the EFI standards by removing MBR and BIOS backwards compatibility, which IS a requirement by the open firmware society.

Arguable. CSM and BIOS compatibility are something that is nice-to-have to boot legacy operating systems, but not necessary for EFI. Are you sure the specifications include this as a necessity?

Anyway, just because MS won't ALTER Vista to boot on Mac, that only means that we won't have a special Macintel Edition of Vista.. It does NOT mean that Vista won't work on it by default.

Did I say that Vista won't boot on Macs?

But if Vista will be standard-compliant (EFI and GPT compatible, not requiring CSM), it will run on the Intel-Macs.

As best I can tell, Open Firmware aka IEEE.1275 has no such requirement.

http://playground.sun.com/1275/home.html

Nor does the Extensible Firmware Interface specification, currently at revision 1.1.0-001 and freely downloadable from Intel. To save you the effort (since reading doesn't appear to be your strong suit) here is a quote from the pertinent portion of the document:

1.7.1 Legacy Operating System Support

The EFI specification represents the preferred means for a shrink-wrap OS and firmware to

communicate during the Intel architecture platform boot process. However, choosing to make a

platform that complies with this specification in no way precludes a platform from also supporting

existing legacy OS binaries that have no knowledge of the EFI specification.

The EFI specification does not restrict a platform designer who chooses to support both the EFI

specification and a more traditional “PC-AT” boot infrastructure. If such a legacy infrastructure is

to be implemented it should be developed in accordance with existing industry practice that is

defined outside the scope of this specification. The choice of legacy operating systems that are

supported on any given platform is left to the manufacturer of that platform.

Anyone here ever thought that Microsoft would?

Anyway, for Vista to have full EFI compatibility it has to support booting from GPT disks and support the iMac's EFI. But Microsoft wouldn't be Microsoft if they would not ignore current standards and just implement what they like (like with Intenet Explorer's CSS compatibility :) ).

Let me remind you that if we can't boot XP (actually almost any OS) in our new Macs is because Apple hasn't completely implemented the standard EFI(i.e. CSM support and so on...). As you say, they have just implemented what they liked.

I'm not flaming Apple, but flaming MS because they *might* do something that Apple has done almost yesterday is sooo unfair.