• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

grayfox

grayfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Heres a guide that I belive will work I would have posted this sooner but I was having problems with the activation email (I mistyped my email address).

This guide is untested so use at your own risk

Untested Guide: Booting xp on a mactel

What is needed
-A pc with an intel chipset
-knowledge of darwins bootloader or elilo
-Windows xp (Home or Pro both should work)
-[url=http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-015001.htm]ICH7M sata driver[/url]

Instructions
1) Remove the harddrive from the mactel

2) Hook it up to another machine and make an image of the harddrive
(Its always good to have a backup I recomend using DD to make the image)

3) Find a machine with a intel chipset and install windows xp on the mactel harddrive don't partition the whole harddrive leave a few gb for osx.

4)After windows is installed go to c:\windows\driver cache\i386\driver32.cab and copy over the ICH7M sata driver 

5)Put the mactels harddrive back in the mactel.

6)Install osx using the free space DON'T WIPE THE WINDOWS PARTITION

7)Edit darwins boot loader and add xp in there
(or use elilo)

8)Reboot

9)When you click on your username you will be told you need to activate windows

10)If this worked enjoy xp on your mactel

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Thanks for the post - I fixed the spelling of "dual" in the title and added possible for clarity's sake.

grayfox

grayfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh thanks :)

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Hacking, Cracking
All you are doing is installing XP on the hard drive. That does nothing to solve the fact that XP is not compatible with iMac

grayfox

grayfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The only incompatibilities Ive seen are that the xp bootloader won't work and you can't boot from the cd.

Please show me some evidence of this incompatibility so I can try to fix it.

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
You need to research what BIOS is and what it does.
XP uses BIOS.
Macintel uses EFI

You bypassed XP not installing... but you addressed absoloutely nothing about how to make XP use EFI.

grayfox

grayfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As far as I know the only time xp is comunicating with the bios is when the boot loader loads, by using a thirdparty boot loader xp has no contact with the bios.

However there is a possibility now that I think of it that xp might try talk to the bios to find out the acpi settings this may be a problem how ever I doute that it will be a problem but if somone following the guide wants to disable acpi all they have to do is press F7 or F5 durring xp setup.

mk14

mk14

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

As far as I know the only time xp is comunicating with the bios is when the boot loader loads, by using a thirdparty boot loader xp has no contact with the bios.

I believe Windows XP makes some BIOS calls during startup to initialize hardware, after the bootloader passed control to Windows. To solve this issue, some serious hacking of ntdetect.com and ntoskrnl.exe would probably be necessary.
But using windows Vista instead of Windows XP would probably get around this issue. Anyone tried that yet?

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
That's what my original article was about.
Using Windows Vista components to get XP running on a Macintel.
Just a couple of technicalities to sort out left.

mk14

mk14

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Just a couple of technicalities to sort out left.

How? Too bad Windows isn't open source :withstupid: .

grayfox

grayfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I believe Windows XP makes some BIOS calls during startup to initialize hardware, after the bootloader passed control to Windows. To solve this issue, some serious hacking of ntdetect.com and ntoskrnl.exe would probably be necessary.
But using windows Vista instead of Windows XP would probably get around this issue. Anyone tried that yet?

If thats the case its highly unlikely that anyone will beable to get xp running without the source code...at least running linux will be easy :withstupid:.

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Not true grayfox. just means more work is all.
many dedicated and talented people (aka hackers) are working on this... With MS and Apple's blessings for once too!
Just a matter of time before one of us gets it.

mk14

mk14

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
So, anyone tried installing Vista instead of XP, the way described by grayfox initially?

grayfox

grayfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Not true grayfox. just means more work is all.
many dedicated and talented people (aka hackers) are working on this... With MS and Apple's blessings for once too!
Just a matter of time before one of us gets it.

Unless there going to be handing you the source code or doing it themselves it's highly unlikely you guys will beable to get this done without violating the dmca by doing something like reflashing the tsop with a hacked bios or hacking up xp.

So, anyone tried installing Vista instead of XP, the way described by grayfox initially?

As far as I know no one has atempted my guide yet... let alone with vista ;).

fffilms

fffilms

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
As far as I've read, no one's attempted your guide exactly yet. However, people have tried installing Windows Vista. The problem appears to be that in Beta (build 5270), the EFI and GPT capabilities haven't been activated yet, so it won't work. Presumabley, the final release later this year will work just fine.

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Exactly, but yesterday MS made it clear that if it doesn't they will not be shipping a special version of Windows for Macs.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Where did they say that, Computer Guru? I'd love to write something about it if you can give me a link.

goli

goli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Where did they say that, Computer Guru? I'd love to write something about it if you can give me a link.

Here you are :
http://seattletimes....llchinqa30.html

Computer Guru

Computer Guru

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Yep, that's the link.

mk14

mk14

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

yesterday MS made it clear that if it doesn't they will not be shipping a special version of Windows for Macs.

Anyone here ever thought that Microsoft would?
Anyway, for Vista to have full EFI compatibility it has to support booting from GPT disks and support the iMac's EFI. But Microsoft wouldn't be Microsoft if they would not ignore current standards and just implement what they like (like with Intenet Explorer's CSS compatibility ;) ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy