Could Maxxuss be Apple?

Trep

13 posts in this topic

You have a cool OS that you will be releasing into the wilds of x86.

You have a copy protect scheme that you believe is nigh unbreakable, keeping it safely on Macs.

BUT

You don't want dev time used by the hacking community to play with your locks.

It might be nice to see how your OS woulds perform in the wild, should you ever decide on a wider release.

SO

You hack it yourself, early. You make it easy and complete, so noone else will spend too much time poking around. You get a massive volenteer dev team. You watch it in the wild. You bide your time....

UNTIL

It is time to crack down. Likely, just before a major release. Possibly you have some aces up your sleeve like TPM application verification, or a new driver format. All the cool new stuff stops working. The old version is still hacked, but it's mainly good advertising. Once people get into it, they want more... And more can only be purchased at:

THE APPLE STORE

Any thoughts? Am I right, or should I just go back to making umbrellas out of foil and checking my compass a lot... :withstupid:

Hi Trep. You haven't been around here very long so you probably haven't seen all the discussion we've already had on this topic. Interesting concept but the consensus is that Maxxuss is absolutely nothing to do with Apple, and in support of that is the fact that you can take his patches and see exactly what's been done. Welcome to the forum, anyway!

Some people believe in God, others don't.

If you ask me, this doesn't mean that people who don't, can't say something about Him or in His name.

People are free to say whatever they want to and whatever is their belief, I guess people who have faith in God have to stick with this - we aren't in back in the medievals, are we?

But I guess that people who don't believe in God shouldn't always say OMG - this is ridiculous.

Sorry for being OT. Let's get back on topic.

Well he could be a former employee of Apple or a former long time retailer that Apple screwed over for it's NEW WORLD ORDER Type retail giants stores coming to a metropolitan mecca near you.

Think about it. If Maxxuss were a former employee of Apple it wouldn't be the first time Apple got screwed over by a former employee.

Ever hear of the world's first free email service? "Hotmail."

Hotmail was created by 2 former Apple employees. They created it at there Apple Cubicles in Cupertino, Ca.

They hated Apple so much they decided to sell it off to Microsoft out of spite.

Or did you ever hear of the retailer MacAdam in San Francisco, Ca. They supported Apples and sold only Apple for years since the "Lisa" apple. Then what does Apple do after years of advertising and, promotion, and service? Denies there Apple reseller program and runs them into the ground to build there mega store a few blocks away. Meanwhile CompUsa a few doors down still sells Apples?

Let's face it, I have been on Apple for close to 7 years now. Really remember 7 years ago when you tried to send an email attachment in the business world using a MAC? They were so unproductive, and non compatible with the rest of the world, but we endured thinking it would pay off in the end. Yeah, it finally caught up but so did the creditors after buying so much over priced Apple {censored} for years. Paying $2500 for $800 worth of hardware.

They don't really have a squeaky clean record, bad environmental issues, shifty production model changes (I bought a G3 B&W tower, and the first g4 tower and got screwed 6 months later by both purchases.)

I once also saw a PBS TV program on India's #1 engineering school. Apple and Microsoft solicit head hunters to this school and these are the programmers building our OS's. Then these hard working bright people who's education is paid for buy the Indian government leave India shortly after. Then the Indian government sees nothing in return when these bright programmers get US visa to come work in Silicon Valley for lower than average level wages.

Doesn't sound like a fair trade off to me. These companies should be investing in these schools. But they are not.

Well to make a long post short, Apple F*ck 'em. They screw people over regularly.

Pirate ON! :pirate2: ;)

Maxxuss isn't doing things Apple approves of. Certain domains are harder to get Cease and Desist orders to stick, and I think his is one of those harder-to-censor sites.

Whether he's a disgruntled Apple employee seems dubious. I think he'd be able to patch 10.4.4 by now if he had the sourcecode for the whole shebang.

OSx86 has whetted some of our appetites for the real thing. I already have the real thing with my Mac Mini. I know I want an iMac Core Duo, but money's a problem.

Apple has every reason to lock down OS X for Intel on retail release. They have and most always will consider their OS inseparable from their hardware. Consider the people who've made an OSx86 platform on a $200 budget. How can Apple sell even a $500 Mini when this cheaper platform could (does) run OS X faster and better?

The TPM is a lot more insidious than its current rev of OSx86 shows it to be. I think it's going to be a very rough fight to jump the hurdles of EFI and TPM that will be cornerstones of getting OS X booted and running... many PCs lack EFI, and I really don't know when or if there's going to be a workaround.

Getting around TPM is going to be tantamount to unlocking DRM, I'm afraid.

Ahh but cracking DRM is very, very, very possible. Its a joke for audio that much we know. Its an even bigger joke for OS's. I currently have three versions of Windows XP Pro, including Win XP Pro 64bit, and the latest leaked beta of Vista.

All it takes is someone with a bit of low level programming to fool the os. I don't claim to know much programming, as my area of expertise is graphics, but from what I know, and the people I've talked to, cracking an OS is easier than cracking say, a driver, or Assembly language.

The TPM is a bane on the free world of computing. I'll not get into a conspiracy rant right now, but it doesn't bode well for anyone out there.

Personally, I'd buy a MacTel if I had the money right now. As it stands, I'll wait to see if they crack 10.4.4 or 10.5 when it comes out, and most likely build a MacTel then. I prefer to build my stuff as then I know whats going into it, and whether or not there'll be a nasty surprise in my hardware or not.

Boycott the TPM!

Viva La Piracy! :whistle::rolleyes:

Ahh but cracking DRM is very, very, very possible. Its a joke for audio that much we know. Its an even bigger joke for OS's. I currently have three versions of Windows XP Pro, including Win XP Pro 64bit, and the latest leaked beta of Vista.

All it takes is someone with a bit of low level programming to fool the os. I don't claim to know much programming, as my area of expertise is graphics, but from what I know, and the people I've talked to, cracking an OS is easier than cracking say, a driver, or Assembly language.

The TPM is a bane on the free world of computing. I'll not get into a conspiracy rant right now, but it doesn't bode well for anyone out there.

Personally, I'd buy a MacTel if I had the money right now. As it stands, I'll wait to see if they crack 10.4.4 or 10.5 when it comes out, and most likely build a MacTel then. I prefer to build my stuff as then I know whats going into it, and whether or not there'll be a nasty surprise in my hardware or not.

Boycott the TPM!

Viva La Piracy! :whistle::rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft but to my knowledge, the wmv DRM has not been broken yet.

• 2 months later...

ha if maxxuss works for apple he has to be my favorite apple employee.

btw: i dont think the slightest bit that maxxuss is apple. He has past the line between innocent software enhancements, to all-out hacking. Plus apple would be pretty stupid not to be able to fix software hacked by one of their employees, whom probably learned most from his apple environment. None of it adds up and i think its just rediculous to think this.