b0 error on GIUD

22 posts in this topic

I am attempting to boot my "boot camp" vista partition on my hackintosh. I used the guide in this tutorial, and the virtual machine will start up. I can boot off the vista dvd (if its in the dvd drive) just fine. However, if I try to boot my vista install (on another partition on my hard drive) I get a b0 error (see attached screenshot).

I searched on this, but every fix involved making the vista partition active via fdisk, which is for MBR drives. How do I get this to work on GPT (GUID) drives?

Hardware:

e6750

GA P35-DS3P

4GB RAM

SATA DVD drive

post-122578-1200017275_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is actually a bump.

I did read that the b0 error was a consequence of the Windows partition not being active. Well that's an issue if you want to use Leopard. I thought the solution would be to make Vista the active drive which required configuring the Vista bootloader as I'd already configured Darwin.

I booted into Vista. Used diskpart to set the Vista partition active. Downloaded EasyBCD and created a Mac OS X boot config and set it as the default BCD boot config.

This allowed me to have the Vista partition active and using Vista's bootloader still load Mac OS X.

When I tried Parallels again I did get a change in that I got a message from Parallels saying it was loading the Parallels Tools but in the background was the same b0 error. The Tools install never completed or booted into Vista via Parallels.

Here's my experience. Maybe we can put our heads together and find a solution.

I'm in the same boat - b0 error trying to boot windows xp in VMWare on a GUID drive. My windows partition is set to active via fdisk and boots fine via the Darwin boot loader so I'm at a loss to explain what's happening.

SMF

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had success here? I've used both VMWare and Parallels and get the same error - b0.

My setup is 10.5.2 on a GUID drive and I've tried both XP and Vista (x64) with the same result.

And yes my Windows partition is set as active and I've never had a problem booting straight into windows.

Thanks,

SMF

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here, getting b0 error with both VMWare and Parallel...

I did temporary solve the problem this way:

1) Download Supergrub.iso (about 3mb) http://forjamari.linex.org/frs/?group_id=6...;release_id=499

2) Set Supergrub.iso as cdrom image in vmware.

3) F2 to set vmware bios to boot from cdrom.

4) Boot xp partition with supergrub.

It must be a way to solve this without those extra steps, still working on it

• 2 weeks later...

1) Download Supergrub.iso (about 3mb) http://forjamari.linex.org/frs/?group_id=6...;release_id=499

This method didnt work with Vista....

Do you have a more elaborate explanation of what you did in supergrub? Did you just select one of the Win menu items and go from there?

Thanks,

sdelano

edit: Installed Vista SP! and figured out how to get supergrub to load Vista, but now I am getting another error.

This time it is a Vista error stating that I am trying to run a 64bit program on a computer that does not support 64bit mode. I am running this on a Q6600 in OSX. Whats the deal?

• 4 weeks later...

Just an idea .. any linux guru that can do a a shortcut in the grub menu to the "boot partition" or make a editable "boot partition {diskXpartY}" menu item ?

that would make for a great solution .... :whistle: Thanks

Just an idea .. any linux guru that can do a a shortcut in the grub menu to the "boot partition" or make a editable "boot partition {diskXpartY}" menu item ?

that would make for a great solution .... :gathering: Thanks

Now that I see this really hasn't been solved I'm looking into that at the moment so that there is no need to go through the menus and such. Still a bummer and a kludge of a workaround but oh well. We do what we can.

Well for those of us that have to use supergrub I made a quick little script that makes a bootable grub image that you can use as the boot cd instead of supergrub. Supergrub has that annoying menu that I don't like going through everytime.

HOW TO USE THE SCRIPT: (from a terminal)

tar -xvf vmgrub.tar
cd vmgrub
./makeimage.sh <disk> <partition>

You can use the resulting vmgrub.iso as your boot cd and windows will automatically boot.

The disk and partition parameters above are obviously your disk number and partition number AS GRUB SEES THEM.

If you entered the wrong numbers (grub will tell you the partition failed) press enter through error 13 and then press c at the menu.

From here you can keep trying to enter the following at the grub prompt:

grub> rootnoverify (hdX,Y)
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot

Again the X and Y refer to the disk and partition numbers. Once you have found a partition that works you can remake the image with those numbers and you will have a menuless boot!

Enjoy!

sdelano

vmgrub.tar

i haven't see this mentioned, but there is a way to get boot camp partition to load in vmware fusion even on guid disks.

a post on netkas forum explains it all.

i can dual boot OSX and Vista64 (using only darwin boot loader) and run Vista64 as a boot camp partition in vmware fusion.

no b0 error anymore!!!

Beautiful! I had actually popped in a vista disk I burned for a friend to see if it would just work (wasn't sure about Disk Utility's burning) and was wondering if doing the repair would f*** my real HDD or not. That is a wonderful answer and I think we can call this SOLVED. Lovely.

Maybe I can change my script around to just add grub to the vmware's bootloader which would essentially do the same thing. BUT, this seems like much less work

Thanks!

Stephen

Yeah it does work. Heres the exact procedure incase anyone needs it.

1. Put your vista boot disk in the drive and startup vmware.

2. Then hit f2 fast and set the vmware bios to boot from the vista dvd first.

3. Once in go to repair and the disk will not find a partition that is active to repair (since thats OSX). Because vmware copied your real mbr for the virtual one thus its seeing OSX as the bootable partition and when it tries to boot it it fails with a b0 error.

4. Go to the repair options I think its called. Then go to command prompt and type diskpart. Once in diskpart select the drive, select the windows partition and set it active. Then close the command window and go to repair on the list. Then the disk will see your vista partition and repair it.

5. reboot vmware and set the bootable disk back to your vista partition and load vista.

There you go. Now your only issue is vmware installs a whole bunch of new hardware and thus screws up your whole install. So you have to reactivate windows. LAME. Once thats done vista will run in vmware, but good luck going back into vista natively. You will probably have to reactivate it all over again. Ahh well at least it works in leopard.

> So you have to reactivate windows. LAME. Once thats done vista will run in vmware, but good luck going back into vista natively. You will probably have to reactivate it all over again.

yes. i was doing all this on non-activated vista. anyone know if it's possible at all to use native boot camp and virtualized vista from the same partition and not have to reactivate it every time?