ATI South Bridge Solved!! (ATI IXP) ATI x200 xpress chipset

scousi

154 posts in this topic

can you recompile trying UDMA 5?

Here are my benchmakrs between XP and MacOS. I guess there's some tweaking to do. Especially on the write side of things

MAC On XBench

Sequential 38.83

Uncached Write 23.52 14.44 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 44.24 25.03 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 61.32 17.95 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 46.33 23.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 23.11

Uncached Write 8.06 0.85 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 50.84 16.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 63.72 0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 73.25 13.59 MB/sec [256K blocks]

ON XP

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results

Drive Index : 29 MB/s

Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Performance Test Status

Run ID : PORTABLE on 3 février 2006 at 12:24:00

SMP Test : No

Total Test Threads : 1

SMT Test : No

Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No

Processor Affinity : No

Operating System Disk Cache Used : No

Use Overlapped I/O : Yes

IO Queue Depth : 4 request(s)

Test File Size : 895MB

File Fragments : 1

Block Size : 1MB

File Server Optimised : No

Benchmark Breakdown

Buffered Read : 88 MB/s

Sequential Read : 32 MB/s

Random Read : 24 MB/s

Buffered Write : 66 MB/s

Sequential Write : 32 MB/s

Random Write : 24 MB/s

Average Access Time : 11 ms (estimated)

Drive

Drive Type : Hard Disk

Total Size : 41GB

Free Space : 8.5GB, 21%

an you post it anyway

- Edited -

Here is the DMA 5 stuff.

Use the unzip command in a MAC terminal window to get it.

will you include this patch to a dvd? My problem is: I could put the kext into archives.pax.gz on Extentions.pkg, but I don't know how can I do this step under windows (I still don't have os x):

this is the step I can't do:

2) We must then remake a Extensions.mkext file that contains the new KEXT and replace the one on the DVD in the System/Library folder with the newer one.

The command to do so is kextcache -m Extensions.mkext -l /System/Library/Extensions. This will generate the file we want.

This is cached extensions that the kernel loads for the first installation.

Must be in root to have the correct file settings on the file.

The new AppleOnboardATA.kext must be in the /System/Library/Extensions folder with the associated file settings.

please help! and thanks!

will you include this patch to a dvd? My problem is: I could put the kext into archives.pax.gz on Extentions.pkg, but I don't know how can I do this step under windows (I still don't have os x):

I'm not sure how to do this on a Mac either. Inside the pax there are "packages". So we have to remake the essential package and remake a pax.gz.

Okay, apparently the problem I am having is unrelated to the kext. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. On the other hand, does anyone know why my extensions folder reverts back to stock every time I reboot? Perhaps I'm just thick and missing a setting somewhere but it has me completely baffled at the moment.

Okay, apparently the problem I am having is unrelated to the kext. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. On the other hand, does anyone know why my extensions folder reverts back to stock every time I reboot? Perhaps I'm just thick and missing a setting somewhere but it has me completely baffled at the moment.

This SHOULD work if you have an ATI x200 chipset:

1) sudo -s from the terminal window (Application/Utilities/...) folder

Enter your admin password

2) Delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache file:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

3) Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext file:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4) Copy the new kext from where they are: (copy from here http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...e=post&id=1318)

cp -R AppleOnboardPCATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/.

5) Change permissions( Everywhere just in case):

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

6) Repair permissions:

diskutil repairPermissions /

6) Reboot

Thanks again scousi. Strangely, it's still not working for me.. I don't have a good way of making an installation dvd, so i'm essentially using the method in your last post. But, it still doesn't load the right extension when it boots.. it finds the root device, but shows AppleGenericPCATA loading. I used SIV to check the device ID and it's the same - 43761002. Any clue what the problem could be?

BTW - should I be doing anything with the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext inside IOATAFamily.kext?

Thanks

Thanks again scousi. Strangely, it's still not working for me.. I don't have a good way of making an installation dvd, so i'm essentially using the method in your last post. But, it still doesn't load the right extension when it boots.. it finds the root device, but shows AppleGenericPCATA loading. I used SIV to check the device ID and it's the same - 43761002. Any clue what the problem could be?

BTW - should I be doing anything with the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext inside IOATAFamily.kext?

Thanks

I don't have that in my plugins of IOATAFamily.kext!

I have these:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

IOATABlockStorage.kext

IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext

Perhaps you want to try mine:

I have included an attachement

<removed - dmca violation>

It works!! haha!

Really nice work scousi, I am forever grateful. I was having some trouble using the windows bootloader and I couldn't start the boot from cd, but it's doing great using grub.

Now I just need to work on the keyboard/trackpad..

Amazing, Thanks!

It works!! haha!

Really nice work scousi, I am forever grateful. I was having some trouble using the windows bootloader and I couldn't start the boot from cd, but it's doing great using grub.

Now I just need to work on the keyboard/trackpad..

Amazing, Thanks!

No problem. I guess I should try inserting the OnboardATA driver in the plugin folder of IOATAfamily. It would be more elegant if it worked.

The problem with this project is that everyone has different configs while palying around and moving things here and there while trying to debug things.

PS - Get MacDrive , there's a one week trial. It's very handy to debug thing as you can change you MacOS stuff from within XP if you get hung up somewhere.

after all that, grub won't cooperate.. I had to remove it from the MBR and now I can't get it back

#grub-install /dev/hda

The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.

argh.. i'll continue reading up on this problem now..

after all that, grub won't cooperate.. I had to remove it from the MBR and now I can't get it back

#grub-install /dev/hda

The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.

argh.. i'll continue reading up on this problem now..

I posted this on another forum:

Get this: It's free

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Burn it, boot with it, select the F3 tools, select GRUB and it will give you the choice to boot back in windows. It will also reset the active partition to XP. It won't install GRUB but you will use it to boot back in windows which will then reset the XP partition as active.

You are probably getting the dreadfull "missing oprating system", right?

actually i can get back in to windows after i ran the 'fixmbr' tool on the installation disk. now windows boots by default.. i used grub on the boot cd to get linux booted, but once i'm in linux i get that error from grub and i can't install it. now i need a boot cd to load linux and i can't load osx86 at all, so i need to get grub back in somehow. what a nightmare..hopefully i can get this fixed without trashing some partitions and starting over.

Edit: if i edit /boot/grub/stage1 it says "(Converted from Mac format)"

Maybe grub doesn't like my mac partition anymore? I've seen people with similar problems when the partition type was set wrong, but it still lists as af in cfdisk, or hfs+ in qtparted/PM. strange..

Well, I don't know what the windows fixmbr tool did to my mbr, but I ended up having to rewrite it with dd. All the work paid off though - now i have windows, osx86, and ubuntu linux on my v2000! The keyboard/mouse thing is a pain, though. I'll post if I find anything, thanks again!

Just a final update in case someone else runs into my (very weird) situation. This runs fine for me except any time I am about to reboot I must delete Extensions.mkext or else the computer reverts to the other driver the next time I boot up. Once it boots up I can delete Extensions.mkext, reboot, and it is fast again. Considering how small a job it is to delete one file once a boot up I'm not really worried about getting the problem completely solved. The speed in boot up (a difference of it taking 20 seconds to boot and 3 minutes) more than makes up for the time spent deleting the file, and of course performance is much better once it is up as well.

So anyway, thanks again Scousi. Great driver!

Well I am hopefull jet I think I'm doing something very wrong.

I have a Acer Aspire 5024 laptop with turion and this nice ATI chipset. And with your driver I was able to boot it and blazingly fast too.. .. .. but:

I did the patching work via VMWARE. After rebooting natively OSX tells me my time and date are of. They are at 1-1-1970. When I set the time back and reboot the error message "still waiting on root device" returns.

It almost feels like its in conflict with some other ATA driver or with the clock??? anyway.. can some one help me. :graduated::hysterical:

Also; I have to move IOUSBFamile.kext to extensions.disabled for my keyboard and touchpad to work. :graduated:

I have a Acer Aspire 5024 laptop with turion and this nice ATI chipset. And with your driver I was able to boot it and blazingly fast too.. .. .. but:

I did the patching work via VMWARE. After rebooting natively OSX tells me my time and date are of. They are at 1-1-1970. When I set the time back and reboot the error message "still waiting on root device" returns.

It almost feels like its in conflict with some other ATA driver or with the clock??? anyway.. can some one help me. :graduated::hysterical:

Also; I have to move IOUSBFamile.kext to extensions.disabled for my keyboard and touchpad to work. :graduated:

1) Make sure there no AppleOnboardATA.kext inside you IOATAFamilly package within the plugin folder.

2) After patching in VMWARE, make sure you delete the kextcache and mkext file before trying to re-boot natively.

3) I have the clock problem also. But if you have an internet connection, the clock get set automatically via ntp. If you don't have any internet connection ,you have to set it manually everytime you re-boot!

Just a final update in case someone else runs into my (very weird) situation. This runs fine for me except any time I am about to reboot I must delete Extensions.mkext or else the computer reverts to the other driver the next time I boot up. Once it boots up I can delete Extensions.mkext, reboot, and it is fast again. Considering how small a job it is to delete one file once a boot up I'm not really worried about getting the problem completely solved. The speed in boot up (a difference of it taking 20 seconds to boot and 3 minutes) more than makes up for the time spent deleting the file, and of course performance is much better once it is up as well.

So anyway, thanks again Scousi. Great driver!

You don't seem to be in the only one with that problem. Make sure there is no AppleGenericATA or ApploeOnbaordATA in the plugins folder of the IOATAFamily plugins folder.

It almost feels like its in conflict with some other ATA driver or with the clock??? anyway.. can some one help me. :gun::hysterical:

Also; I have to move IOUSBFamile.kext to extensions.disabled for my keyboard and touchpad to work. :hysterical:

Hey, JaccoH

I have an Acer Travelmate 4402LWMi Turion / ATI.

Even inside VMWARE I get the Missing Operating System problem.

The solution I found was to boot inside VMWARE with the OS X disk (JAS), hit F8 and choose rd=disk0s2 platform=x86pc. This is the only way so far the OSX will boot.

Do you manage to do it other way?

After the patch, tried to boot natively and got the Missing Operating System again.

Nothing changed so far. I'm going to check if I got the AppleGenericATA or ApploeOnboardATA....

I am very impressed with the progress that you all have made with this somewhat obscure chipset. I have a HP desktop with the ATI Xpress 200, but I have had less luck than the others. I would appreciate if you guys could glance over my configuration and let me know what I'm missing here.

Hardware:

HP Pavilion A1330E

AMD64 Venice 3500+ (SSE3, NX, PAE etc)

Motherboard: ASUS A8AE-LE (aka AmberineM-GL6E)

ATI Xpress 200 chipset

Northbridge: RS482

Southbridge: SB400

(MB Specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...name=c00496280)

I installed macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.iso with 1111a.Generic.Patch.v4.2b, installed in VMWare to an a primary partition on an IDE hard drive. (Machine also has SATA)

I can boot in VMWare and the system is usable.

When I boot natively, I get a kernel panic. "Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI"

This message is the same when I boot with platform=X86PC -v

I have tried the following:

Installation of scousi's much appreciated AppleOnboardPCATA.kext, although I haven't yet run into problems with "waiting for root device"

Switching to the unpatched kernel (I have SSE3, NX, PAE, etc)

Booting with options off in BIOS (SATA controller, USB, Firewire, Sound, Ethernet)

Booting to single user mode

Removing all PCI cards from the system (TV capture, PCI-E graphics)

I get the same message. If it would be helpful, I'll take a digital of the screen and post.

Let me know if anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks!

m

Hey, JaccoH

I have an Acer Travelmate 4402LWMi Turion / ATI.

Even inside VMWARE I get the Missing Operating System problem.

The solution I found was to boot inside VMWARE with the OS X disk (JAS), hit F8 and choose rd=disk0s2 platform=x86pc. This is the only way so far the OSX will boot.

Do you manage to do it other way?

After the patch, tried to boot natively and got the Missing Operating System again.

Nothing changed so far. I'm going to check if I got the AppleGenericATA or ApploeOnboardATA....

Try Acronis boot selector. It will switch the active partition on the fly.

I am very impressed with the progress that you all have made with this somewhat obscure chipset. I have a HP desktop with the ATI Xpress 200, but I have had less luck than the others. I would appreciate if you guys could glance over my configuration and let me know what I'm missing here.

Hardware:

HP Pavilion A1330E

AMD64 Venice 3500+ (SSE3, NX, PAE etc)

Motherboard: ASUS A8AE-LE (aka AmberineM-GL6E)

ATI Xpress 200 chipset

Northbridge: RS482

Southbridge: SB400

(MB Specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...name=c00496280)

I installed macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.iso with 1111a.Generic.Patch.v4.2b, installed in VMWare to an a primary partition on an IDE hard drive. (Machine also has SATA)

I can boot in VMWare and the system is usable.

When I boot natively, I get a kernel panic. "Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI"

This message is the same when I boot with platform=X86PC -v

I have tried the following:

Installation of scousi's much appreciated AppleOnboardPCATA.kext, although I haven't yet run into problems with "waiting for root device"

Switching to the unpatched kernel (I have SSE3, NX, PAE, etc)

Booting with options off in BIOS (SATA controller, USB, Firewire, Sound, Ethernet)

Booting to single user mode

Removing all PCI cards from the system (TV capture, PCI-E graphics)

I get the same message. If it would be helpful, I'll take a digital of the screen and post.

Let me know if anyone has had similar problems.

Thanks!

m

Must be a BIOS issue. Mine is a x200 chipset for Intel processors (on a laptop). I think there might be some slight variations in device IDs.

Try Acronis boot selector. It will switch the active partition on the fly.

Already tried that, scousi... Didn't work either.

I already set the partition active in many ways... but always get that.. strange, huh?

BRILLIANT! Thanks scousi, you're totally my new bestfriend! Deleting the onboardata and genericPCATA files out of the IOATAFamily kext solved the having to delete the mkext every time problem! Woohooooooo!

One down, two to go (sound and video acceleration :D )