ATI South Bridge Solved!! (ATI IXP) ATI x200 xpress chipset

scousi

154 posts in this topic

Well I managed to finally get the internal hardrive to be accessed by OSX86 by patching the ServerWorks driver in the AppleOnboardATA source code. After looking at the Linux Ati IXP source code I noticed that the IDE access and bus initialization between ServerWorks and ATI were almost identical so I added the ATI device and vendor ID in the info.plist file and changed the following code (AppleServerWorksATA.cpp ):

Replace { 0x02121166, 0x92, 5, "CSB5 UDMA-100" },

{ 0x02121166, 0x00, 4, "CSB5 UDMA-66" },

{ 0x02131166, 0x00, 5, "CSB6 UDMA-100" },

{ 0x02171166, 0x00, 4, "CSB6 UDMA-66" }

with

{ 0x02121166, 0x92, 5, "CSB5 UDMA-100" },

{ 0x02121166, 0x00, 4, "CSB5 UDMA-66" },

{ 0Yx02131166, 0x00, 5, "CSB6 UDMA-100" },

{ 0x02171166, 0x00, 4, "CSB6 UDMA-66" },

EDITED:{ 0x43761002, 0x00, 5, "ATI IXP" } FOR UDMA 5

OLD VALUE{ 0x43761002, 0x00, 3, "ATI IXP" } FOR UDMA 3

In the AppleServerWorksATA.cpp file. Recompile with Xcode.

Then set the the value of IOPCIPrimaryMatch to

0x02121166 0x02131166 0x02171166 0x43761002

in the /system/Library/Extension/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

Replace the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

delete the /system/Library/Extensions.kextcache

reboot

I just got it working and I haven't done too much testing so I will try to upload a kext this week. Next step will be trying to patch the DVD kit to allow OSX86 to install on x200 laptops! I'm not even sure if it's working in PIO or DMA yet but it wasn't even seen before.

BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE TRYING THIS!

Here are the traces I put in the boot log (IOLog)

[CH0] provideBusInfo( 0x2c1ad60 )

AppleServerWorksATA: ATI IXP (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0x8410)

[CH1] provideBusInfo( 0x2c1a9c0 )

USBF: 223.204 [0x2bae200] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x33000000)

USBF: 223.215 [0x2bae800] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x13000000)

[CH1 D0] getConfig( 0x2c1a9a0 )

PIO mode 0 @ 600 ns

[CH1 D0] selectConfig( 0x2c1a9a0 )

[CH1 D0] selectTimingParameter( 0x2c1a9a0 )

selected PIO timing entry 4

selected Ultra mode 2

PCI_PIO_TIMING 0x205d5d5d

PCI_DMA_TIMING 0x20777777

PCI_PIO_MODE 0x0400

PCI_ULTRA_ENABLE 0x04

PCI_ULTRA_MODE 0x0200

PCI_ULTRA_CTRL 0x00

[CH1 D0] getConfig( 0x2c1a9a0 )

PIO mode 4 @ 120 ns

Ultra mode 2

USBF: 223.266 [0x2c18e00] USB Generic Hub @ 1 (0x53000000)

[CH0] provideBusInfo( 0x2c4c460 )

[CH0 D0] getConfig( 0x2c529c0 )

PIO mode 0 @ 600 ns

[CH0 D0] selectConfig( 0x2c529c0 )

[CH0 D0] selectTimingParameter( 0x2c529c0 )

selected PIO timing entry 4

selected Ultra mode 3

PCI_PIO_TIMING 0x205d205d

PCI_DMA_TIMING 0x20772077

PCI_PIO_MODE 0x0404

PCI_ULTRA_ENABLE 0x05

PCI_ULTRA_MODE 0x0203

PCI_ULTRA_CTRL 0x00

[CH0 D0] getConfig( 0x2c529c0 )

PIO mode 4 @ 120 ns

Ultra mode 3

Let me be the first to say that I commend you for giving it some effort. Everyone else was just brushing this off but you made a step forward even if it doesnt work....keep it up.

If it work........damn homie you have some skills.

Anyways peace out.

HooKed

Let me be the first to say that I commend you for giving it some effort. Everyone else was just brushing this off but you made a step forward even if it doesnt work....keep it up.

If it work........damn homie you have some skills.

Anyways peace out.

HooKed

Ok so far. I've managed to install OSX86 on my ATI x200 chipset laptop though a VMWARE install to the physical MAC partition. I modified the OnboardATA kext with the ATI supported ones and it works!

I think I'm running in DMA mode 3 now. But I will boost the max in the driver to 5 when I get a chance.

Two more problems to solve:

RTC driver (clock resets to 1969 after reboot)

ATI onboard x300 QE and CI. I think this is solved somewhere but i haven't looked yet. As anyone done it?

Here is my laptop specs.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=e...rt=4007#spectop

Here are the Xbench results when I BOOT NATIVELY!

Results 42.50

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.3 (8F1111g)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type HTS541060G9AT00

CPU Test 50.13

GCD Loop 194.34 10.24 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 43.60 1.04 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 32.08 1.06 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 48.70 8.48 Mops/sec

Thread Test 72.62

Computation 60.22 1.22 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 91.45 3.93 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 46.19

System 60.28

Allocate 85.25 313.06 Kalloc/sec

Fill 60.82 2957.08 MB/sec

Copy 46.30 956.38 MB/sec

Stream 37.43

Copy 35.48 732.80 MB/sec

Scale 35.62 735.97 MB/sec

Add 39.26 836.22 MB/sec

Triad 39.81 851.59 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 51.67

Line 40.74 2.71 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 50.88 15.19 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 49.30 4.02 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 72.36 1.83 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 54.14 3.39 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 27.89

Spinning Squares 27.89 35.38 frames/sec

User Interface Test 51.01

Elements 51.01 234.10 refresh/sec

Disk Test 28.98

Sequential 38.83

Uncached Write 23.52 14.44 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 44.24 25.03 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 61.32 17.95 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 46.33 23.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 23.11

Uncached Write 8.06 0.85 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 50.84 16.28 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 63.72 0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 73.25 13.59 MB/sec [256K blocks]

OK confirmed working on my end compaq v2000 (great job man) had to delete appleps2controler.kext or it still wouldnt boot.

Sound, ethernet, keyboard, mouse and wifi doesnt work everything else seems fine. LMAO

Now to work on Sound, ethernet, keyboard, mouse and wifi

Well atleast native works now.

Good Job Scousi

HooKed

Scousi, awesome work man. I have the RS480M2, (its an MSI board, MS-7093 to be exact) and I will testing this out when I get home from work. I have been able to install OSX with no DMA using platform=ADP2,1 and it works but it's very slow.

From the looks of it you have DMA fully enabled and working ?

Ok update I managed to fix the wifi (kinda) it finds the router and correct SSID but it will not accept my WEP password even thought I am 100% sure I am typing it in right. Guess it still needs work.

Ok on to audio and keyboard mouse

HooKed

Scousi, awesome work man. I have the RS480M2, (its an MSI board, MS-7093 to be exact) and I will testing this out when I get home from work. I have been able to install OSX with no DMA using platform=ADP2,1 and it works but it's very slow.

From the looks of it you have DMA fully enabled and working ?

I have no way to confirm except with benchmarks. I haven't figured out a command or utility that allows to see the HD modes on a MAC. But if there are not in UDMA mode 5, there's more code there we can change.

omfg thank s so much... but I dont have xcode. Can you post the kext? and did anyone experiment in DMA 5 mode?

See POST number 54 of this thread. It's attached to the message.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...hl=scousi&st=53

It works with IOATAFamily.kext in the JAS patch. You will see it as a "ServerWorks" driver.

Thanks Jas

I will do more testing myself. I'm getting about 23 MB/ssec which isn`t that fast in today`s standards but it`s a laptop drive running at 5400 rpm. I know that in WinXP, it operates in UDMA mode 5. I haven`t found a way to check with OSX86 other than benchmarks.

If you don`t mind, it would be nice to put in in you patch kit since it might actually solve the chicken and the egg problem with the driver when trying to get things running on the ATI SB400.

Do you have any instructions on how to add an ext inside the DVD ISO? I would like to test the driver while attempting to install from the DVD. I know that all the EXTs are part of a package somewhere on the DVD.

Also, do you know if the ATA driver used for installation is embedded in the kernel itself or it loads a discovered driver set from the DVD?

Thank you so much, scousi!!! This fixed my ata problems bigtime! (Compaq SR1710NX) Boot times go from 3+ minutes to about 20 seconds, xbench scores go from about 10 to 47 overall. Again, thank you so much! The OS absolutely screams in comparison to how it was.

One quick thing for clarity... we use the same IOATAFamily.kext that is used in the intel ATA fix, right? It is reverting to the old settings after reboot. Thanks so much!

Thank you so much, scousi!!! This fixed my ata problems bigtime! (Compaq SR1710NX) Boot times go from 3+ minutes to about 20 seconds, xbench scores go from about 10 to 47 overall. Again, thank you so much! The OS absolutely screams in comparison to how it was.

One quick thing for clarity... we use the same IOATAFamily.kext that is used in the intel ATA fix, right? It is reverting to the old settings after reboot. Thanks so much!

Glad I could help.

To be honest, I'm not so sure which version of IOATAFamily.kext I have but I didn't change it. I think it's the original from the 8f1111a with the Jas patch.

If you can get the accelerated video to work let me know. The only driver having any effect is the 9700 when I add the proper Dev and vendor ID ... but it's a negative effect since I get a black pixelated screen.

OK I have installed this patch on my MSI RS480M2 and it works great! For the first time in months I am able to get the most out of osx with this particular board. I haven't had time to test the drive speed but I can tell from bootup and general use that it is much much faster. I have dma, ethernet, sound (with external sb gamer mp3+) all that I need now is a better supported graphics card.

Thanks again scousi

For anyone else having problems getting the settings to stick... uh... don't do what I suggested above. Caused my system to refuse to boot OS X even in safe mode.(reinstalled and tried again just to make sure) Could be my install because I'm not using the 8F1111a with Jas patch. Will try locating it and trying that to see if it helps. Thanks again, scousi.

Edit: Clean installed with 8f1111a, still reverts back to generic after the first time it boots. Can be kept running fast by going through the entire process (of copying over OnboardPCATA, not reinstalling) every time I shut down though. Kinda out of other ideas at this point, if someone else has some I'd be grateful to hear them! Is anyone else using this on a desktop?

Is there any way to unpack/edit/repack these packages on a PC?

If you already have a MAC partition on your HD with the MACOS installation, you can use MacDrive to change the kexts from XP. There's a 8 day free trial.

To actually remake an installation DVD that allows installation on x200 laptops, here is what we have to to ON a MAC OS. I'm not 100% sure that the wating for root device probelm will be solved but I'm fairly confident.

1) Replace or ADD the new AppleOnboardPCATA.kext in the System/Installation/Package/Essentials.pkg ov the DVD (8f1111a with Jas patch).

a) Inside the Essentials.pkg (in System/Installation/Package folder) of the DVD there's an Archive.pax.gz file that contains the extensions

So we must find a way of putting the kext and repackage the whole thing

2) We must then remake a Extensions.mkext file that contains the new KEXT and replace the one on the DVD in the System/Library folder with the newer one.

The command to do so is kextcache -m Extensions.mkext -l /System/Library/Extensions. This will generate the file we want.

This is cached extensions that the kernel loads for the first installation.

Must be in root to have the correct file settings on the file.

The new AppleOnboardATA.kext must be in the /System/Library/Extensions folder with the associated file settings.

3) At this point, you have to remake a bootable DVD.

4) If you want to distribute the patch, we have to make a ppf patch that corresponds to the difference between the previous ISO and the newer one.

Finally i got it to boot!! Thank you scousi!!!

I had to remove ApplePS2controller.kext, so there i no mouse, keyboard audio or wifi.

Does anyone know a work around for that???

Booting Nativly is good, but useless without mouse and keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Compaq v2000

Amd 64

ATI xpress 200m

love,

middly

can you recompile trying UDMA 5?

I did recompile for UDMA 5 but the difference is insignificant. In my dmesg log it does say that is selected 5.

Finally i got it to boot!! Thank you scousi!!!

I had to remove ApplePS2controller.kext, so there i no mouse, keyboard audio or wifi.

Does anyone know a work around for that???

Booting Nativly is good, but useless without mouse and keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Compaq v2000

Amd 64

ATI xpress 200m

love,

middly

Strange , my keyboard and trackpad are working fine. For Wi-Fi, I'm using a D-Link USB dongle with the Ralink drivers.

No sound though and no power management.

I did recompile for UDMA 5 but the difference is insignificant. In my dmesg log it does say that is selected 5.

Strange , my keyboard and trackpad are working fine. For Wi-Fi, I'm using a D-Link USB dongle with the Ralink drivers.

No sound though and no power management.

Yeah, i got a usb keyboard and mouse working, but since this is a laptop, i sorta need to get the touchpad, and keyboard working at least.

Really nice work scousi, I'm getting optimistic. I downloaded the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext from your other post and gave it a try. I can run 8f1111 fine with VMWare, so I brought that up and inserted the kext, did a chown and chmod, and rebuilt Extensions.kextcache. I also rm'd the PS2 controller extension.

I tried to boot native and nothing's changed for me so far.. I don't get any errors, but it's amazingly slow and never actually makes it to the login screen. It says it's still using AppleGenericPCATA at the initial boot screen - any idea what could be my problem? I have the v2312us, pretty sure the hardware is the same.

Any help or ideas would be great, thanks!

Really nice work scousi, I'm getting optimistic. I downloaded the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext from your other post and gave it a try. I can run 8f1111 fine with VMWare, so I brought that up and inserted the kext, did a chown and chmod, and rebuilt Extensions.kextcache. I also rm'd the PS2 controller extension.

I tried to boot native and nothing's changed for me so far.. I don't get any errors, but it's amazingly slow and never actually makes it to the login screen. It says it's still using AppleGenericPCATA at the initial boot screen - any idea what could be my problem? I have the v2312us, pretty sure the hardware is the same.

Any help or ideas would be great, thanks!

Try deleting the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files and reboot.

The device ID Might be a little different since it's an AMD.

Use this free XP utility to see your device IDs. Look under the PCI tab.

http://siv.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/