OSx86 Vs. Apple

tayklor

32 posts in this topic

OK, I am in a bit of a tight spot, I am wanting to build some hackintoshes for a Community Television Station. We have about a grand to spend on computers and 1 iMac won't cut it. We also get some special pricing from Apple for Final Cut Pro and another person working with me is afraid of apple coming after us and making us pay full price for final cut if we build and use hackentoshes. We will buy copies of Leopard then hack them.

Can apple take action against us?

If so, are there any loop holes to exploit in the EULA?

Thanks

Its like pirating copies of Windows and installing them on a bunch of computers for a company. Totally illegal and you can be sued! :D

I agree and not just that, you are using for a business which is worse than using a hackintosh for personal use.

yes, they can take legal action against you

yes, there might be a loophole. if I remember correctly, the EULA of OS X says that you can only use it on apple labeled hardware. they did not specify that the apple label had to be labelled by apple. so by writing apple on you computer, that would make it a apple labeled machine. just make sure u buy copy of os x and use pc efi...or u can become a apple developer...which is another way (i think) you can get os x on ur pc legally

Eh, that label thing may not hold up in court.. I personally wouldn't try that and I personally wouldn't do anything illegal for a business, at home, yeah but certainly not at work.

Have you contacted Apple to see what type of prices you can get? Not only are you a business but you're a community television station, they might have good prices because of that.

lol, buy mac minis ;)

no, certainly don't do that

but if you have only a grand, that's just one mac or 1.5 windows machines (you have to buy windows also if you don't want to use hackintoshes or it's the same thing). So i would try to find a store that sells the old imacs (so they empty their stock). There you can find cheap macs.

Mac Minis are to slow for Final Cut Pro and Motion.

Thanks all to the above, I knew all of that but needed more info to help with the matter.

The Apple Labeled Hardware bit was not good enough for the other people.

Basically, it's a stupid question. If you want to go the illegal route, don't even buy OS X licenses. (Can't buy many along with the cheap PCs if all you've got is 1'000 USD, anyway.) If you want to go legal, ask for a budget that fits. A thousand dollar for 1.5 or 2 cheap-ass machines? What kinda company is that?

I Recommend you finding a refurbished/used Mac Pro G5 for a little of $1000 on Craigslist. Or post that you're doing this for a community and you're seeking for an affordable used one, and maybe someone will be willing to give you an offer, or even give it to you. For me, I'd rather sell my mac for a low price if it's helping a community, maybe even donate it...so you shold really give that a try...someting more legitimate, most importantly, legal. I wish you thebest of luck. Not sure what part of the US you're a from, but in my area, there's quite a few generous individual out here.

Eh, that label thing may not hold up in court.. I personally wouldn't try that and I personally wouldn't do anything illegal for a business, at home, yeah but certainly not at work.

QFE. For anything business related, you should go 100% legal.

You're a retard if you can think you can get away with something like this.

You're an {censored} if you think you can post something like that.

This topic should be forwarded to Apple legal.

Wtf? This is all hypothetical! He considered building hackintoshes, and posted here first to check if it was safe. If I think of killing someone, should my personal info be forwarded to the local police department?

I Recommend you finding a refurbished/used Mac Pro G5 for a little of $1000 on Craigslist.

I'd say either that or a new iMac.

It was not my idea entirely, the stations Tech Director was in on it also. I have a user account here and more free time.

There you go.

We have a little more money to spend on computers now, so we are getting a new iMac.

You're a retard if you can think you can get away with something like this. This topic should be forwarded to Apple legal.

Firstly, lay off the name calling. There are plenty of things I'm sure offend you and I'm sure others dislike being called a retard. I know there was an 'if' there but still I'm sure you can appreciate that that isn't the type of language anyone wants to hear.

Also comments like "This topic should be forwarded to Apple legal." are childish because it's obvious no one really is going to bother. It's a little like "I'm going to tell my mum" talk. You can keep it up but it will only result in you being more isolated and left out.

Also comments like "This topic should be forwarded to Apple legal." are childish because it's obvious no one really is going to bother. It's a little like "I'm going to tell my mum" talk. You can keep it up but it will only result in you being more isolated and left out.

So since "telling mum" is bad, then should I stop reporting offensive items on here? Think this over carefully before answering that question.

We have about a grand to spend on computers and 1 iMac won't cut it. We also get some special pricing from

LOL, one iMac wont Cut it.. just how many do you think you're gonna get for a grand? A fleet of them?

You're SOL.

I wouldn't think much of a community television station taking grants and possibly being showcased only for them to come in and see a bunch of PC's running OS X sitting in the control room and production studio.

..not to mention have much in the way of regards for those who put them there.

It's one thing to be hacking around at home - for fun, for experience, etc- so to say, with these things. But to deploy them professionally.. ah well.

As someone said it's not really much different than say, installing a bunch of XP VLKs. But look at it from another perspective - You can never call Apple about that Final Cut Pro because any logs will probably divulge what is really going on there. Anyone that walks in to view the facility and has technical edge will see it. Etc.

With PC's an XP - it's the normal for all the equipment to look like a rag tag fleet. But Macs .. well, they look like Macs.

with only 1 grand, I would recommend saving up more...

or this:

Buying a few XP computers and a copy of Sony Vegas. Dunno if they already have some macs or what, but it's cheaper than the macs (either that or a new Mac Mini, they are now dual core up to... 2.4Ghz I think. Pretty nice and good enough to run Final Cut smoothly, they're faster than most of the older iMacs which were 2.0Ghz)

Well, if your a television company. Surely you must have some sort of legal aid within the nearby. Ask them if running an illegal OS is legal.

I mean, it seems pretty obvious to me that having a hacked OS that is designed solely to run on specific Apple signed hardware, run on a rigged PC of sorts doesn't seem legal. Then deploying them for use within a business seems even more less legal.

I mean, you accept those EULAs and TOSs, and other licenses for a reason. Which doesn't include the fact that as a business you have to buy some many kinds of licenses for your business. Anyone who has ever used Windows should know all about that.

Even think about the entire business strategy of Apple and Microsoft. Apple doesn't make the majority of their money from their software. They make it from the immense profits of hardware. Which of course allows their OS and general software to be sold for pretty cheap. Which of course is the exact opposite of Microsoft, who take almost al (if not all) of their profits from software and very little from hardware. Hence why a copy of 2000 Pro, XP pro, and Vista ultimate and other versions are so massively expensive. Of course the homeish versions are expensive aswell when compared to Apples OS price.

With all that in mind, it seems pretty obvious that running a hacked OSX on a unlicensed machine in a business environment would definitely be illegal.

As for the comical comment about "apple labeled" things, I'll help clear things that in most License Agreements companies often will say their entire name in the begin and then afters say, "which shall be written as ..." or as Apple does, " ("Apple") which of course allows them to simply say Apple instead of Apple Inc everytime.

Here is Some of the LA

1. General. The software (including Boot ROM code), documentation and any fonts accompanying this License whether on disk, in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the “Apple Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. (”Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License, and Apple reserves all rights not expressly granted to you.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

And My favourite part of the license.

C. Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof.

If you want to read the LA in its entirety and/or others go here http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

Hope that answers any confusions.