EVGA G-Force 7600GS (AGP) & kernel panic

Krule

27 posts in this topic

I have searched a lot and found some answers to a lot of my questions (Like that I can't use Vanilla kernel with my P4). It is important to know I had no prior experience with OS X and little (almost no) skills with UNIX (other than shells for web servers which are FreeBSD).

Anyway, finally, I have managed to install Leopard 10.5.1 with PC_EFI, and have everything running more or less just fine :rolleyes: . However, some issues remained unresolved. These things I have searched, but answers I got were somehow unclear.

So guys, and girls, please help me with definite answers to these two things if you can.

1. Is there any known way to get EVGA G-Force 7600GS (AGP) to run in AGP mode and on more than 1024x786 in Leopard? Acceleration is not a big concern because I have no plan of using games there. If it is important, I have P4 (Northwood) on 3GHz with Hyper threading on, running on ASUS P4P-800X mainboard.

SOLVEED with http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry243175 method. (AGPGart causing some problems still)

2. When I am experimenting with Nvidia inject, MacVidia, or any other graphic related patch/driver/installation/whatever I often always end up staring at white screen forever or at kernel panic screen with a message just like one on a picture below. Is there any way to make system boot normally, other then reinstalling Leopard. (I have tried starting from install DVD and using Terminal to delete kext files I have added, but it did nothing). I am asking this because reinstalling Leopard every time something goes wrong takes a lot of time (things often go wrong).

[sOLVED] Learned how to do it.

kernelpanic.jpg

Thank you very much. That took care of problem No2 :)

As far as problem one is concerned. I have managed to install AGPgart and it booted properly (and much faster). Afterwards I have installed latest NVInject, but although I was able to change name of my card to display properly resolution is still stuck on 1024x786.

After I have employed a method mentioned in a first post I got resolution. Installing AGPGart afterwards caused a strange problem. Black screen with mouse cursor ??? So i just deleted AGPGart, and now it is working on PCI (lot slower but fine).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Krule,

I have EVGA 7600 GS AGP also, and I used both iATKOS and Kalyway DVDs to install Leopard but no luck, always has kernel panic or the "You need to restart your computer" screen. I read that you were sucessful with Leopard 10.5.1. How did you do that, what DVD did you use (iATKOS or Kalyway or ToH)? Can you give me some instructions???

Thanks a bunch,

KC.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't answered sooner.

I have provided a link to method above. However I have used NVinject instead, and AGPGart wont work.

Download latest NVInject.kext

Open Info.plist (it is within, and you can access it by right clicking .kext file and selecting Show Package Contents and modify if. I have choosen PlistEdit Pro as my editor, but most text editors will be ok.

Locate the following

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

and change line below to:

<string>0x02e110de</string>

GeForce.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

In GeForce.kext repeat same process as you have already did for NVInject.kext

In NVDAResman.kext & NVDANV40Hal.kext locate IOPCIPrimaryMAtch and add 0x02e110de at the begging of the string while retaining existing codes (or not), so it looks kinda like:

<string>0x02e110de 0xfff... .... .... whatewer ...</string>

Now open kextHelper, drag .kext files to it and let it do its magic.

Now delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

KextHelper will make a backup on root directory, so dont worry about it.

Cross your fingers, restart and pray.

It would be good for you to restart with -f parametar.

In case you fail to load (AGPGart.kext might cause problems), start your system with:

-f -v legacy
and replace mentioned files (or delete problematic AGPGart.kext) with their backups using kextHelper.

This should work (I just had to do it again due to 10.5.2 crash).

Locate the following

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

and change line below to:

<string>0x02e110de</string>

Forgive me for my ignorance but wouldn't you put 0x039210de in there? because I looked up the id for this card and its 0x039210de.

Attached is screen shoot of my System Profiler Graphic/Displays output. My graphic card is EVGA NVIDIA 7600GS (AGP).

picture1wr4.png

However, if your output is different, then by all means it is those values that are correct for you. Anyway, point was to describe a method, nothing more. ;)

Does anyone has any idea on how to enable AGP to cooperate here?

Alrighty. Bout to try it. Hope it works lol.

EDIT: Well, it didn't work... I did all that and rebooted with -f -v legacy and it gets to this and stops:

post-135006-1203396431_thumb.jpg

Booting without -f -v legacy imediately gives me this:

post-135006-1203396737_thumb.jpg

Can you tell me what I did wrong...?

Well... I will do another install today (since I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get my system to 10.5.2. and have been crashing it on a regular basis for a couple of days :) ) and if it works as it should I will make a package of .kext I have used and attach it here).

Just to note that AGPGart does seem to cause some problems (in my case black screen with only cursor on it) and I would recommend for you to try without it (I think I have mentioned this earlier, but on your first screenshoot I can see that you do have AGPGart on your system).

I hope you have used kextHelper (it sets permitions and creates backups :D as well).

Anyway if booting in legacy does not work, you can also start from DVD and use teminal to delete .kext files you have edited and replace tham with ones in /Backup Extensions in order to restore your system to previous state (before you try again). You can also reinstall entire system :( , but this should be faster.

It goes something like quote below:

sudo -s

cd /Volumes/<Your drive designation>/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -R NVInject.kext

rm -R GeForce.kext

rm -R NVDAResman.kext

rm -R NVDANV40Hal.kext

cd ..

rm -R Extensions.mkext

cd /Volumes/<Your drive designation>/Backup\ Extensions/

cp -R GeForce.kext /Volumes/<Your drive designation>/System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R NVDAResman.kext /Volumes/<Your drive designation>/System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R NVDANV40Hal.kext /Volumes/<Your drive designation>/System/Library/Extensions/

<Your drive designation> is name you have used for your hard drive.

After you do this, go to Disk Manager and do Repair Permitions.

Ok, this should be it.

Just installed it and it works fine. Take a look at screen shoot part below.

I have compiled a zip file you can try. It can be found here: AGP7600GS.zip

Just drag contents of it to Kext Helper b7, type your password in and click Easy Install.

I would recommend for you to go to Disk Utility just after that and do a Repair Permissions, just to be on the safe side. You don't need to delete Extensions.mkext (Kext Helper b7 does touch on it).

And do a first restart with

-f -v legacy

After that it should work, at least it does for me.

If it does work for you, please report.

post-167413-1203451213_thumb.png

Alright thanks I will try it as soon as I get home.

EDIT:

I am repairing permissions right now then going to reboot with -f -v legacy. Maybe now it will work lol.

EDIT:

YES! lol Well, it worked! :(

Here's a screenshot from System Profiler:

post-135006-1203470869_thumb.jpg

Everything works fine using the VGA output but when I use DVI it stops at a bluse screen with the cursor. :D

Now what do I do lol?

Everything works fine using the VGA output but when I use DVI it stops at a bluse screen with the cursor. :)

Now what do I do lol?

There I can't help you for now. My screen (and only one I use ATM) is CRT on VGA output and it never occurred to me that it might be any different for DVI. As far as I can tell (from things I have read on forums), this method will not work for dual screens (However, I ain't no expert for OS X, just a guy who made lots and lots [20 days worth] of trial and error attempts to get this far), but you never know.

Just throwing some ideas:

1. If I were in your place I would try booting with only DVI connected and -f -v to see if it works (as far as I can tell displays are detected at boot). But it probably wouldn't, and you have probably already tried this. :|
  2. You can try searching NVInject forums. I haven't dealt with NVCAP as I had no need for it but some posts they have might work for you. In case you are wondering, NVCAP is one of the keys in NVInject.kext (hmmm I might try this latter so if you have some success here, please be kind and share). Apparently this should enable dual screen as well.
  3. If that does not work, maybe it can be fixed with new NVidia 10.5.2 kext or "Nvidia_Installer_V1.9_by_Punk92".
  4. If nothing of the above works, use VGA output and hope someone will come up with a solution.

As always, it is wise to backup your kexts first and be prepared to restore them via terminal or Kext Helper if needed.

Anyway, while I am on subject, I have just discovered that AGPGart is still in development and that there are some improvements there. So latter today I will try to install those (If I dont fall a sleap right after work).

Hello.

I've got nvidia 7600GS AGP, is fully working, all res etc, but is not showing in sys preferences the model, and AGP.

I'm not sure but:

1- Aperture2 when starting have a problem 'graphic card is not recognized'

2- when using iLife, for example iWeb is strange errors,I can't see templates, menu etc, similar problems with iDVD

3- when install Apple Graphic updates, or new drivers from forum members, I've got kernel panic with restsrt computer now, and need reinstal Leopard, since then I stop experiment with new ideas

any idea how to make iWeb working and most important Aperture2 ????

ps: software like Photoshop cs3, Lightroom or eyeTv is working fine

thanks

Hello.

I've got nvidia 7600GS AGP, is fully working, all res etc, but is not showing in sys preferences the model, and AGP.

I'm not sure but:

1- Aperture2 when starting have a problem 'graphic card is not recognized'

2- when using iLife, for example iWeb is strange errors,I can't see templates, menu etc, similar problems with iDVD

3- when install Apple Graphic updates, or new drivers from forum members, I've got kernel panic with restsrt computer now, and need reinstal Leopard, since then I stop experiment with new ideas

any idea how to make iWeb working and most important Aperture2 ????

ps: software like Photoshop cs3, Lightroom or eyeTv is working fine

thanks

I don't have either iLife or Aperture2 (Fond Lightroom more to my taste). As far as Graphic Update is concerned I had the same problem. So, I have removed all kexts I have had installed, ran the update, then repeated the process described above.

I will try and download Aperture2 to test now.

Thank you for reply :)

for Krule: I can tell as well that Adobe Lightroom plus Photoshop is totally enough, hmmm it's nothing better for photographers, but..... I'm a bit more now in the photography industry and lots of photographers using CaptureOne and Aperture. My reason for installing Aperture is just to test, and to know how it works, just in case, and of course be proud of that then is working on PC_MAC.

ps. my sys info:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Generic NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Generic NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x02e1

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

Philips 190X5:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

As far as I can tell from your specs, not everything is ok. You dont have quartz extreme supported.

My specs look like this:

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x02e1

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

CPD-E530:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

I haven't tried Aperture 2 (downloading right now), but I will drop by in a bit to edit this.

-- EDIT --

Downloaded trial, works just fine, screenshoot below.

So i guess you will have to try reinstall. Somewhere above is link to kexts I have used, you can try to install them and see if they work for you.

post-167413-1203821359_thumb.png

Hey Krule,

Here is a screenshot of my system profiler:

post-135006-1203874197_thumb.png

and attatched are my Xbench results.

NVinject is installed, AGPGart is not installed.

I know there is some graphics acceleration but its obviously not full acceleration (as you can see from Xbench results).

How can I go about getting full graphics acceleration?

2_22_08.xbench.zip

Hello Krule, I've used files made by you, but no success, it's still quartz extreme is not supported, and Aperture2 is not working. Do you think it can make sth with Apple graphics update? I've tried download and instal it ones, but after that I had kernel panic, and I don't try one more time.

thanks anyway

Hi Krule

It's working now.

What I've done, just reinstaling all Leopard from begining, and install kext from your pack, and now everything working fine, for example: Aperture2, frontrow and Roxio Toast with no problem. QE suported, and no software problems at all.

Many thanks

I was not around a bit.

I had problems with 10.5.2. as well (several system crashes due to edited files).

So I backed all my applications and documents using SuperDuper and reinstalled 10.5.1 clean. Since I have Kalywaly 10.5.1 installation, I have used Kalyway safe update to 10.5.2. after which there was update for graphics from system update. Then, it was necessary to update kernel (otherwise there was 3 minutes of no picture at boot) for which I have used 9.2.0 speedstep kernel by netkas and system.kext (which was packed with Kalyway safe update).

Then, I have downloaded NVInject, edited it together with other files the way it is described somewhere above and installed them all.

And that worked. So, if you have 10.5.2. do not download those files, they are for 10.5.1. Easiest thing is to edit files update places there for you.

World of Warcraft running at 50-90 FPS on open locations (12-25 in busy ones) :)

About full acceleration, honestly I have no idea. I think with AGP enabled it would be possible to get it, but since AGPGart causes problems with this method I have no idea. If someone comes up with something, it would be nice to know.