The OSx86 Bible

Ranger

32 posts in this topic

Illegal: yes. Theft: no. It's copyright infringement, not stealing. It is copying information without permission to do so.

Stealing involves taking something from someone else. By downloading a copy of of this software, you are not taking anything from Apple, you are just copying information that, in most countries, Apple has the right to disallow you from copying.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, only that it is clearly not theft.

Actually it is theft. You are depriving Apple of the money that OS X sells for. Like it or not that is theft. The lawful definition of theft is the Intent to deprive the legal owner. If you are using OS X Apple has a right to some money from you. You are depriving them of their money, ergo theft.

• 2 months later...

i was wondering if my hardware wil work out for this i check the wiki but i couldnt find everything

ive got a gateway m6834

mobile intel 965 express chipset

optiarc dvd rw ad-7563a ata device

intel wireless wifi link 4965agn

core 2 duo 1.66 ghz each

2 gb of ram

let me know with a pm or on this thread

thank a bunch ahead of time

• 4 weeks later...

First of all... i am new, so Hello everyone.

the reason of this post (that i dont know if is in the right place) is that i have a hardware question.

I have been talking about this topic with many people here in my country, and well... i have gotten a question that nobody has answered...

OSx is a OS that really makes good use of the hardware it is installed in... and that means it heats up A LOT... what kind of cooling systems do people use, or better yet, how much time and precaution do people put into cooling for their Hackit0sh???

• 1 year later...

I checked the hardware list on wiki and my motherboard wasn't listed. This computer was given to me and I'd really love to make into a mac because my current old macbook cannot take on all of my graphics software. If my motherboard wasn't listed, does that mean it doesn't work or maybe it hasn't been tried?

I really would like to know if my PC is compatible. I don't think I could replace motherboards and other hardware in my PC. I'm completely PC-retarded. I've been on Macs for many years in my personal and employment. Please - can you tell me if this will work?

HP Pavilion Slimline s3323w

Specs:

Hardware

Base processor

Athlon 64 X2 (;) 4800+ 2.5 GHz (65W)

2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)

Socket AM2

Chipset

GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus

Motherboard Name: M2N61-AR

HP/Compaq motherboard name: Acacia-GL6E

Memory

4 GB* (2 x 2 GB)

Speed supported PC2-5300 MB/sec

Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive

500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

7200 rpm

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive

Any insight on if this PC is possible, please let me know!

Thanks!

Thank you.

Preliminaries

I think that we have needed a guide like this for some time, so here's the place to get started if you want to install OS X on your PC. Most of these resources are on this site, so be sure to search!!!

Also, always remember to include these things in any of your posts here (copied from the FAQ):

1. Hardware Specs:

Motherboard: intel, amb, etc.

Video: nV, ATI, etc.

Data storage: SATA, PATA, ATA, USB, etc.

2. Detailed Error Messages

Hit F8 at boot and type -v to boot in verbose mode in order to identify the problem if you’re having problems booting. Otherwise, just be as detailed as possible.

Finally, use the wiki. This site has a great one and it will save you a lot of questions.

Everything you need to get started

Ok, with those things out of the way, here is a list of questions and answers for installing OS X.

Where do I download it?

You shouldn't. It's highly illegal and it's theft - you're stealing from Apple. If you already have a copy of the installation disc and just need a backup, it's probably less illegal, but since with bittorrent you're always seeding, you're not off the hook. However, for those interested, a simple google search can tell you where these files are located. Most of the time they end up on the usual suspects such as the Pirate Bay and Demonoid. Don't place links in this forum, though - I happen to like this place and want it to stay around. :D

Where are the guides for installing everything?

Check the wiki. This
page should have all you’d ever need.

What hardware works?

for huge lists of hardware for every version of OS X - the HCLs tell what works and what doesn't work.
Always check the lists before you ask about hardware!

I've got it installed. Now what?

Visit the wiki (are you seeing a pattern here?) for tricks to speed up your installation and tweak various settings.
Then come back here to the forum to help those who need it (and maybe right a guide like this one!).

Final notes...

If you have specific questions about these things, start a new thread elsewhere only after you search. Let's keep this thread clean for discussion about this guide.

I will update this list as it requires it, so let me know below when there are things I need to add.