New Mac Pros Announced on Jan 8 2008

Numberzz

131 posts in this topic

Today, Apple introduced a new Mac Pro for all to see that uses Intel's Penryn processors. It also received several other improvements as well. It comes standard with Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB, 320GB Serial ATA, and 16x SuperDrive with double-layer support. You can have up to two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 32GB of RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB, and each hard drive can reach 1TB(4TB in total). The top of the line Mac Pro can handle up to an impressive eight 30 inch displays. Apple have also introduced a new Xserve with similar configurations.

20080108-c3sudxqf8853dr2cxpd5468bqm.jpg

Apple's Mac Pro Page

Impressive! It would seem that the GeForce 8800 GT is also available:

For motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, or animation, you’ll need the greater graphics horsepower offered by the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory and latest-generation NVIDIA GPU technology.

I see there is an option to get one 2.8ghz quad core processor. I wonder if you can get that, and then later drop in another processor... (link) Of course these processors aren't even available yet. (1600fsb)

Anyway, I can't wait for the apple store to come on, to see how you can configure this baby...

8 screens, cell multiplications,.... multi user desktop?

now if you could add 8 keyboards, and have 8 people use the quad at the same time,

they could sell it like hotcakes , donuts, croissants ,!!! put it in starbucks, and have people cruise, testdrive it,...

anybody knows how to do multidesktop with osx ?

of course, would like to see, full hardware aka graphics support, and not some x11 hack with remote to itself,...

but I'll take the first too.

what's also interesting hd2600xt,.... looks like the new mac pro's are quieter than regular pc boxes,

that's the biggest reason for me, besides getting tired of playing with kext files.

For all of the Mac Pro owners out there wanting pricing and shipping info for the 8800 GT. I've spent the last hour trying to get a straight answer out of Apple and the only thing they've said so far is that the card is not yet for sale as an individual purchase. Since this is true, pricing is no where to be found either.

Dear lord, when someone gets a hack going to allow for 2 video cards and 4 monitors. I may just wet myself!

Off to the store to buy some Depends *JIC*

I think he meant pricing for individual cards, not as an upgrade. Considering Apple's usual pricing, an additional $200 for an 8800GT seems like a good deal :|
Yeah, I meant that the price for the individual card is not yet available. And I sure hope that 400 for that card is not the case...The same model for the PC sells for 270.00. The people at MacRumors have found the following: UK 8800 Upgrade So it seems that a $400 price tag may be right on when its available here in the US. I wonder how long it's going to be before we start seeing a bios flash for exsisting cards now that this one's out.

I just got imac. {censored}!

Looks like i am getting a Mac Pro next pay check

specs:

Specifications

spacer.gif

* One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)

* 2GB (2 x 1GB)

* 320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

* 2 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

* One 16x SuperDrive

* AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)

* Apple Mighty Mouse

* Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

Wow, this is so unexpected: Apple has finally released a workstation thats not ridiculously overpriced! I am impressed, this new Mac Pro is phenomenal! My only dislike is the use of the Radeon HD 2600 XT as the base video card: why not use the Radeon HD 3850?

I can now say this about the Mac Pro: I want one :P

Well, it seems that 10.5.2 can't be too far either when they're starting to sell 8800GT cards with Mac's. Because they'll need those drivers! :P

YEP ! I think that 10.5.2 is on the way within the next hours/days ?!?

Did anyone spot that the Quadro 5600 costs more than the standard macpro! That is mad. Can't wait to get hold of the rom (Hopefully)!! Would be nice to get 8800 GTX/8800GT going in a mac pro to give users a few more options.

I guess they're not waiting for MacWorld for this announcement. It's only a week away too.

I think he'll mention it. As like an overview. It'll be like 'Blah blah blah 10.5.2 blah blah blah iPhone SDK blah blah blah Oh we have a new Mac Pro and Xserve.