In Kalyway what are the different install options?

dalandau

13 posts in this topic

Hi I have been trying to install kaly but I essitated.

I first tryed f8 typed: vanilla

it started spinning a line and then rebooted.

wen not pressing f8 it loads .

Is there another way to get the vanilla kernel to work?

What is actually the difference?

Thank you

Press F8, then boot with -v -x. After the installer loads choose disk utility and partition your hard drive and set it for GUID or MBR. Next choose custom install and pick what you need. For Vanilla kernel you have to select the first two. Depending on your sound and video card you can pick a driver. I did not select anything except for the boot MBR_EFI. Install and restart. After it installs and restarts it will either work or not. Many people have been having a problem of it bootlooping after the install. Post your results and we can go from there.

Hi, I am installing Kalyway 10.5.1, I have made two partitions with disk utility, I would like to make the firs one bootable so I don't get b0 error again, so on the first one i choose MBR, right? And what do I choose on the other one?

No, just type -v -x. Do you have a usb keyboard and mouse hanging around? If you do then plug those in before the install and set them to be used in your bios. If you don't then I do not know what to do about that. By the way what processor are you running in the laptop? If it isn't a Core Duo type, then vanilla probably won't work. I have a pentium D and I can not use Vanilla.

Ok I had to reinstall windows ;)

my specs are amilo pro v2000 laptop with

1.6 centrino

Intel_852_855_GM_GME_Chipset

Intel_82852_82855_GM_GME_Graphics

Sound___Crystal_WDM_AC_97

1 gb ram

How do I create the partition for dual booting?

I tryed the following but it erased(not bootable) my windows

>> Click on ‘Resize/Move Partition

>> Move the slider to make the partition smaller and hit OK

>> Click on ‘Apply’

>> Close Partition Magic

In XP, go to start > Run. Type diskpart in the run window.

5. In the command window, type:

>> List disk

>> Select disk [disk #]

>> List partition

>> create partition primary id=af

>> active

---------------------------

In the installer of kaly I saw i can chose between mbr and guid what does that mean and where those instruction i found only for toh rc2

Alright lets start from the beginning....

First if you want two partitions then you need to download GParted Live from the internet. (google)

You can use this to partition an active drive, you can with the other programs, but I recommend GParted.

Just to let you know that the Kalyway install will set the leopard partition as active/bootable and not the windows partition, so I recommend that you just have one partition for Leopard, unless you know how to install a Bootloader like GRUB or LILO. That being said we will move on.

One Partition for Leopard

1. Use GParted live to delete your hard drive. Click and Apply.

2. Make a new partition (1), file type as NTFS. Click and Apply.

3. Logout of GParted and select restart. At boot press whatever gets you into your BIOS, usually F2, F12, or ESC.

4. Once in BIOS, insert Kalaway disk and boot off of it.

5. When prompted press F8, the boot with -v -x , and press enter. Should see alot of scrolling of commands, and it will take about 10 minutes to get to the installer.

6. Once in the installer click on Utilities and select Disk Utilities.

7. You should see your hard drive on the left hand side along with a disk under it. Your CD and or DVD drive should be there and also the installer disk. Click on the disk under your Hard drive and click erase. It will ask you to verify and click erase.

8. Now click on your hard drive and click partition as one partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and name it Leopard or whatever you would like to call it. At this point you get to pick either partition as GUID or MBR. Pick MBR it will work the best. So click on the options button and click it. Then click on partition button and it will ask you to verify that you want to and click partition. It will do it and then quit Disk Utilities.

9. Now it is time to click agree and then click on custom.

10. When the custom menu comes up look to the bottom and it should have a square button that is highlighted in blue with a line thru it, click on the little arrow button and deselect GUID and select MBR. This is the only thing that you are going to click on, do not click on any drivers or Vanilla stuff. Click on done and now it is time to install.

11. The installer will do a check of the disk, you can skip this and it will start to install. It takes a little while and you have to move the mouse around constantly or it will hang. After it installs, it will ask you to restart, click on restart. When your computer comes back on get into your BIOS again and have it boot off of your hard drive and remove the disk.

12. When it boots again it should boot into Darwin Boot loader for 3 seconds and then you should get the gray apple screen, then get a blue screen, then finally the register screen.

If you have any problems just PM me. Honestly you might get the "Please restart" screen, which usually has to do with your graphics card or you will get the blinking courser when you boot, but we can fix that, lets just get it installed first.

wow thank you very much for your effort.

a few questions

1) why not vanilla and what is the difference?

2) I need to be able to come back to my windows if things dont go well. Do u know how? I dont feel like installing windows for a third time tonight .

Thank you very much

What do you think is different with kalyway to get it to dualboot than in this guide i found for the toh rc2

Don't forget to read this before installing

I forgot the 'requirements' section on purpose. Please read through the whole guide and write down the things you need. This sounds stupid, but I want to force you to read through the whole guide prior to trying things out.

The actual guide

0. First you need to check if your CPU supports at least SSE2 (if you already know that your CPU supports at least SSE2, skip to the next step).

>> Download CPU-Z

>> Unzip and start the program. In the CPU tab, look if you see SSE2 somewhere (if you also see SSE3, congratulations, you have the perfect hackint0sh CPU!). If you only see SSE, ask your dad for a new CPU, otherwise this won't work.

1. If you are using Windows XP go to step 2. If you are using Windows Vista, skip to step 3.

2. You need to create at least 6GB unallocated space on your hard disk. If you know how to do this, don't hesitate to use your preferred method. If you don't know how to do this, download Partiton Magic 8 and shrink one of the partitions on your hard drive. After you've done that, skip to step 4.

>> Click on ‘Resize/Move Partition

>> Move the slider to make the partition smaller and hit OK

>> Click on ‘Apply’

>> Close Partition Magic

3. You need to create at least 6GB unallocated space on your hard drive. To do this, follow the steps below.

>> Press the windows logo in the bottom left corner of you screen

>> Right click ‘computer’ and select ‘manage’

>> Select ‘Disk Management’ in the ‘Computer Management’ screen.

>> Select a partition with at least 6GB of free space

>> Right click it and hit ’shrink volume”

>> Type in the amount of space to shrink (at least 6GB) and hit ‘Shrink’.

>> Close all open windows.

4. In Vista, hit [windows button] + R. In XP, go to start > Run. Type diskpartin the run window.

5. In the command window, type:

>> List disk

>> Select disk [disk #]

>> List partition

>> create partition primary id=af

>> active

6. Insert the Leopard install disk (if you don't have it, search for a ToH RC2 disk on the usual places...) and reboot your computer.If it doesn't boot up your Leopard disk you may have to change your BIOS settings to alow booting from a DVD.

7. Wait for the DVD to boot up and select a language. Somewhere in the toolbar at the top of your screen (after you selected a language!) you'll see 'Disk Utility'. Open it and select the partition you created in step 5. Format it to HFS+ (journaled) and call it Leopard.

8. Follow all installation steps on your screen. Choose the HFS+ (journaled) partition you created in step 7 and don't forget to hit customize. Depending on the install disk you use you need to select or deselect packages.

9. The install will take about an hour, depending on your computer configuration. Take a cup of coffee and start praying.

10. When the installation finishes your computer should boot into Leopard! If it does, skip to step 16. If it does't, go to the next step.

11. Boot the Leopard instalation DVD again.

12. Open a terminal window (see the toolbar, it should be there) and type:

>> /usr/misc/script.sh Leopard (if you named the partition 'Leopard', if you gave it another name, replace 'Leopard' with your name)

13. Leopard should start booting now! If you are lucky, you can use it now, if you get a kernel panic, read on, otherwise, skip to step 16..

14. Restart the computer and hit F8 when you see the bootloader. Type in "cpus=1" and hit enter. If you still get a kernel panic, read on, otherwise skip to step 16.

15. Boot into your BIOS and disable SpeedStep. Try to boot Leopard now, still not working? Try to boot it in safe mode (type -x in the command line). if it's still not working, go to step 16.

16. When booted into Leopard, play with it for a while and then fire up a new terminal window. Type

sudo nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

17. Type cpus=1 in the kernel flag string if you needed that flag in step 15. Add

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

below the last string to setup a timeout for the bootloader. This'll allow you to choose your Windows partition when you start your computer.

18. You should now have a working dual boot configuration!

1) why not vanilla and what is the difference?

First, if you want to run vanilla you will need a more compatible hardware. Something that is closer to a real mac, and more likely to have a Core2Duo.

I have a Penyium D930 dual core and I can't run vanilla Kernel.

Second, you have an older chipset in that notebook and it make things more difficult to get working. I'm not say it won't work, it just going to take much more effort. Maybe you should go and download a 10.4.10 tiger and see if that will run on your notebook before trying Leopard.

Just my thoughts,

Chevy:)

Yeah I agree with Chevy on that, try Tiger and if you like it and it works well then try Leopard, but if you do want to try Leopard, then you can always install it on a external HD, as long as you computer can boot off an external drive. Also you can back up Windows XP to an external and then do a full install of Leopard or Tiger and if it doesn't work out just pop your Windows install disk in and install off the backup. What kind of video does that computer have?

yeah I got a bit further

I got leo installed

its booting fine

I installed without vanilla kernel but also without acpi ps2 reboot fix or something like that

should i have installed the acpi ps2 or not?

because now my ps2 internal laptop mouse and keyboard dont work

When I installed with the vanilla packadge i noticed they worked.

Can I get my keybourd and touchpad to work?

• 1 month later...