PowerManagement bundle (with ACPI) for Leopard

jaro12345

243 posts in this topic

Hey, everyone !

After tweaking a little Tiger PowerManagement.bundle by keithpk (see: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14912 for more information)

here comes the same, but rebuilt for Leopard (10.5.1).

What works:

- Battery meter (percentage / time) while using only primary battery.

- EnergySaver settings (are retained correctly, unlike when using Tiger bundle on Leopard)

(be aware that manipulating these settings does change your system hibernate mode back to standard -

SafeSleep (mode 3) - use sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 hibernatefile /dev/null on the console to reset to what seems to work

for laptop sleep for most people out here - check status with pmset -g)

What does not:

- Real power management (CPU speed / display dimming .. etc): Powermanagement.bundle is not responsible

for applying any of these .. it just provides a way of changing settings and provides battery meter icon ...

- Battery indicator when using two batteries and / or hotswapping secondary battery

(what happens is that battery meter will display inconsistent info when using two batteries and changing

power source ...

- hotswapping support for secondary battery is simply not there in the Apple code.

- reading of current power source (in IOKit/ps) always reads the first battery only (which indicates fact of

being AC Power connected when fully charged and not in use ... at least on my laptop .. YMMV)

(not sure this can be fixed until Apple releases laptops with multiple batteries ...)

Installation:

1. Download the PowerManagement-137-1.bundle.tar.gz file (and unarchive it)

2. Go to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

3. Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle

4. Copy the new bundle into the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ folder

5. Reboot

Downloads:

09.01.2008: Updated (137-1) release (fixes time calculation in battery meter):

PowerManagement_137_1.bundle.tar.gz

PowerManagement_137Modified_1.source.tar.gz

Problems:

Battery meter does not show: check your AppleACPIPlatform version: kextstat | grep ACPI

- Battery meter does not show while using AppleACPIPlatform v 1.1.0 (KALYWAY)

( -> to fix KALYWAY AppleACPIPlatform: edit /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Contents/Info.plist

file and change:

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>

<string>1.0.5</string>

to:

<string>1.1.0</string>

(then reboot or

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext ..)

- Battery meter shows OK with AppleACPIPlatform v 1.0.5 (iATKOS?)

- I do not think it will work with vanilla AppleACPIPlatform ... (vanilla does not have ACPIPowerSource PlugIn ..)

Sleep does not work anymore: (BUT WAS working before installing this bundle):

- Open Energy Saver Pref pane, make your changes

- from Terminal run sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 hibernatefile /dev/null

- You will notice that Battery/AC Power options in the pane moved to "Custom": LEAVE these like this:

changing to Normal / Better Performance / Better Battery Life will reset your system sleep mode again.

(Alternatively: just remember to go to Custom mode before putting system to sleep)

Old download (do not use ..) 07.01.2008: Initital (137) release (does not calculate battery/charge time):

PowerManagement_137.bundle.tar.gz

PowerManagement_137Modified.source.tar.gz

Enjoy !

J

Edited by jaro12345

Looks good on my HP nw9440, leo 10.5.1 kalyway. I was able to change power settings for battery. However my laptop still doesn't go sleep when I select Sleep from the Apple menu. Screen goes black but fans and leds are on. If I close the lid, it's even worse - all fans and leds are on, when I reopen the lid, the screen goes back on but the system is frozen and I have to power it off. Reboot also doesn't work.

Hi,great Forum!

On my Toshiba A100 the Powermanagement works great. :) Good work.

I can change the mode in which the notebook should be. But showing the remaining battery time does not work. There is just :(calculating...)

I'm only missing an opportunity to set the backlight of the lcd lower.

However from the beginning on the sleep mode does not work(also not yet).The fans(CPU/GPU?) do not stop and the Led from the power button glows also. I think only the HDD seems to stop.

Update: If the lcd goes off and i want to go back to leo( typing on a key/touchpad) only the screen backlight goes on... waiting a minute the backlight goes off...(it is a loop) => i have to restart the pc, because can not see what i do :)

Greetings,

Nero

Ps. sorry for my bad english, i'm no native speaker.

Man! I LOVE YOU! thank you thank you thank you! Now I don't have to worry about my laptop randomly going to sleep again! I wonder how much battery life i will be able to squeeze out of my laptop with "better battery saving" setting... will it be like vista? ie. 3 hours? I do wonder... I will try this out when I have time later today.

Thank you!

Edit: P.S. my laptop is the hp DV2221tx if it would help anyone.

Hey everyone !

Thanks for trying out !

1. For battery meter not showing problem: check permissions (chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle ; chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle), then go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver and mark the checkbox in options tab (show battery meter ...)

2. For sleep not working - if it worked before and does not now it's because the bundle resetted your sleep mode back to the original mode 3 (Safe Sleep) most likely: open terminal and set it to 0 (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0) - you will notice that Energy Saver settings change to custom: leave these like that - if you switch them back to Better Battery Life the sleep mode will be set to 3 again ...

(check in terminal with pmset -g).

J.

Does this one also work with the Vanilla ACPIPlatform.kext? Because the Tiger version doesn't. And the Vanilla ACPIPlatform.kext is the only one that puts my laptop to sleep the correct way.

1. For battery meter not showing problem: check permissions (chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle ; chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle), then go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver and mark the checkbox in options tab (show battery meter ...)

J.

I have problem. After place powermanagement.bundle and reboot it don't works.

When i type that what u post in terminal i see that, and i don't have options in Energy Saver:

Last login: Tue Jan  8 17:15:11 on ttys000
michals-mac-pro:~ MN$ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle
chown: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/version.plist.obsolete: Operation not permitted
michals-mac-pro:~ MN$ chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/CodeResources: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/Localizable.strings: Operation not permitted
michals-mac-pro:~ MN$

I have kalyway 10.5.1 on hp pavilion dv6108ea.

Please help me.

What do you mean could you get it working completelly? Or what has to be add to the source

It means it doesn't work yet.... That isn't hard to understand.

I have problem. After place powermanagement.bundle and reboot it don't works.

When i type that what u post in terminal i see that, and i don't have options in Energy Saver:

Last login: Tue Jan  8 17:15:11 on ttys000
michals-mac-pro:~ MN$ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle
chown: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/version.plist.obsolete: Operation not permitted
michals-mac-pro:~ MN$ chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/CodeResources: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings: Operation not permitted
chmod: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/Localizable.strings: Operation not permitted
michals-mac-pro:~ MN$

I have kalyway 10.5.1 on hp pavilion dv6108ea.

Please help me.

Uhmm.... forgetting sudo?

You need root permissions to chown and chmod a file that is only editable by root....

The time calc does not work for me and the indication if the power source is AC or battery.

Thanks for the work tho...

Edit:

Oh, forgot my System specs:

Lenovo 3000 N200 0769-BDG

Intel Core2Duo

GMA X3100

Leopard 10.5.1 (Not EFI)

cYa ~Neo

Hey, everyone !

After tweaking a little Tiger PowerManagement.bundle by keithpk (see: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14912 for more information)

1. Download the PowerManagement-137-1.bundle.tar.gz file (and unarchive it)

2. Go to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

3. Backup your old PowerManagement.bundle

4. Copy the new bundle into the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ folder

5. Reboot

Downloads:

09.01.2008: Updated (137-1) release (fixes time calculation in battery meter):

Enjoy !

J

hey, great work. works 100% on Dell Inspiron E1505. thank you!

I have problems with reboot sleep and shutdown!

Batterymeter seems to work.

I use the 10.5.2 kexts for my 8600m maybe thats the reason?

i get the message in system log:

usb caused wake event (ehci)

when i klick sleep

anyone has a solution for me?

Hey, in my hackintosh HP Pavilion dv2322la, Leopard 10.5.1 from Kalyway, work without problems, only i have to run disk permissions beacause the first time the kext didnt work....

Now show the percentage and that things...

Thnxz men!+

PD: sorry my inglish xD

This didnt work on my Dell 1520 with Kalyway 10.5.1 .. Tried the kalyway fix in post and still doesn't work, when i try to load the kext in terminal here is what happens: Nicholas$ sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kextPassword:kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext has problems:Missing dependencies:{ "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" = "A valid compatible version of this dependency cannot be found"}HELP Someone?Thanks.Anyone with dell 1520 with Kalyway 10.5.1 have the powermanagment bundle working?

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext has problems:Missing dependencies:{ "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" = "A valid compatible version of this dependency cannot be found"}

Check that ACPIApplePlatform version listed in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Info.plist matches the one in/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/version.plist ....

Anyone with dell 1520 with Kalyway 10.5.1 have the powermanagment bundle working?

Yes.

J.