Custom AppleSMBIOS

nagal

4 posts in this topic

I have a rather odd issue.

I recently built a MacPro but the firmware on my logicboard is Apple Development firmware so the MacPro EFI firmware updater will not install. I *think* if I can hard code the values the firmware update is looking for into AppleSMBIOS it will then run. I know this has been down by others so I got to looking at the source code for AppleSMBIOS last night as it is not a simple Info.plist edit. I need to find the values that correspond to Model Name, Model Identifier and Boot ROM Version. I look both nothing jump right out at me. I have some ideas on what they might be but I am trying to avoid a lot of trail and error coding to find the right variables.

I am a programmer and have plenty of experience in C++ so not some noob. I managed to compile AppleSMBIOS into a kext last night just did not get a chance to test it :o

If anyone can help or point me to the IRC channel where the people know this stuff, that would be awesome :)

Well have made some progress in this area where I can successfully compile the kext and it loads without issue. I can make some changes to the information passed into AppleSMBIOS but can not get the information to persist so that it shows up in System Profiler.

Still looking for some hints and help if anyone out there happens to know. I am next going to looking into the IORegistry class as that might be the more logical place to set changes.

• 4 weeks later...
Well have made some progress in this area where I can successfully compile the kext and it loads without issue. I can make some changes to the information passed into AppleSMBIOS but can not get the information to persist so that it shows up in System Profiler.

Still looking for some hints and help if anyone out there happens to know. I am next going to looking into the IORegistry class as that might be the more logical place to set changes.

does AppleSMBIOS operates with ESCD, or it's information is handled in EFI?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a rather odd issue.

I recently built a MacPro but the firmware on my logicboard is Apple Development firmware so the MacPro EFI firmware updater will not install. I *think* if I can hard code the values the firmware update is looking for into AppleSMBIOS it will then run. I know this has been down by others so I got to looking at the source code for AppleSMBIOS last night as it is not a simple Info.plist edit. I need to find the values that correspond to Model Name, Model Identifier and Boot ROM Version. I look both nothing jump right out at me. I have some ideas on what they might be but I am trying to avoid a lot of trail and error coding to find the right variables.

I am a programmer and have plenty of experience in C++ so not some noob. I managed to compile AppleSMBIOS into a kext last night just did not get a chance to test it :(

If anyone can help or point me to the IRC channel where the people know this stuff, that would be awesome ;)

Open : /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleSMBIOS

with an Hex Editor, search for Hack, you will find 'Hack.88Z.int.0sh' and Replace

Hack,int,0sh with whatever you want.

copy back, set rights and here you are.

Works for me

post-26592-1203147089_thumb.png

post-26592-1203147099_thumb.png