[Guide] OS X iAtkos 1.0i Leopard Install on Dell Vostro 1400, 1500, 1700 / Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720 with GMA X3100

kristoff

206 posts in this topic

I'm going to be revising this guide within the next week, but would like to get as much helpful information posted before I do. If anyone has ANY tips on getting sleep to work correctly, and preventing the display from blacking out during login / resolution change, please post here and I will include it in the original guide (credited to you, of course!).

Clues: the display does not black out during login for me after I use the GParted LIVECD, and shut off the computer without exiting the gparted program. I believe that this somehow tweaks the power management settings.

Tip: if you are trying to play games that enter into fullscreen mode, they might black out. Try changing your os x resolution (under "Displays" in "Preferences") to that of the game (usually 1024x768). This worked for me for two separate games, and they did not black out upon starting the application.

In any case, I will be investigating these two "white whales" more thoroughly, and posting back here soon. We've got to hammer this thing out!

Other news:

I'm not getting great fps results with the x3100 when trying BZFlag, the tank battle game - although the build I have is a beta, for Leopard. Any thoughts? Are the drivers for X3100 not fully working yet?

I have switched between AHCI and ATA operation for the Hard Drive multiple times under Dell BIOS settings, with no noticeable difference, or problems. I switched it back to ATA to install Windows XP - because it is actually faster than Vista and better for my purposes. No problems so far. It is actually quite easy to install Windows XP AFTER installing iAtkos 10.5.1, without having originally formatted the drive to dual boot. I left my original installation intact, then used the GParted LiveCD to shrink my OS X partition, then leave a partition formatted for FAT32, then installing Windows XP. Finally, I installed Acronis OS Selector, which has been working great! Since I already have the software for it, I installed it rather than some of the other (free) options - highly recommended.

I am also working on a comprehensive bootable backup / clone solution for the full hard drive (OS X + Windows). I will include this in the guide as well.

Hope to hear from you!

Hi all,

i really don't understand because when i reboot after the installation, my PC says "Missing operating system"... :(

I really don't understand cause I followed step by step this guide...

If someone have an idea!

I got a Vostro 1500:

T7500

8600M GT

wifi 1390...

thanks for all by advance..

(Naturrely my partition is active, flagged on Gparted, and I choosed the EFI boot on iATKOS V1.0i r2.....very strange)

Hi all,i really don't understand because when i reboot after the installation, my PC says "Missing operating system"... :( I really don't understand cause I followed step by step this guide...If someone have an idea!I got a Vostro 1500:T75008600M GTwifi 1390...thanks for all by advance..(Naturrely my partition is active, flagged on Gparted, and I choosed the EFI boot on iATKOS V1.0i r2.....very strange)
Hi, did you install just Leopard, or are you dual-booting? I actually ended up just installing Windows XP over an existing OS X installation, using gparted as noted in my comment above - maybe that is safer? Hope you get it sorted out.

Unrelated update on the display blacking out:

I installed Acronis OS Selector after installing Windows XP, and now every time I boot into OS X, the display is working right away! I am not sure of the exact cause of this - perhaps the OS Selector inadvertently affects power management settings (for the better). In any case, Acronis did a good job with this program - it's a no-hassle install from XP, and it seems quite flexible as to how your partitions are set up. Can anyone else confirm this?

Actually I have my 3 partitions:

1 - Cheking tools

2 - Vista

3 - Leopard (in fact I try ;) )

My Leopard are really installed on this partiion because i can see It on my HDD but ma F** ;) ***G PC doesn't boot...and i really don"t understand why.... :D

Bye bye and have a good day all

OK, so this is pretty bad.

When rebooting I always had to use the DVD and specify rd=disk0s2, which I had gotten used to.

Last night, rebooted for only the third or fourth time since installing, and it didn't load up.

-v yielded the following: "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure" and then "Still waiting for root device" ad infinitum.

So this morning I reinstalled, did the FAT32 thing before the install to fix the rd=disk0s2 thing...

Not only did I still need the rd=disk0s2, but I'm getting the same FireWire-->Root Device thing on a fresh install.

Any ideas?

Got iATKOS working on a Vostro 1500 with these specs:

- 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo

- 1 GB RAM

- 128MB nVidia 8400M GS

- some Dell a/b/g WiFi + Bluetooth (can't remember at the moment)

- Sigmatel STAC 9205

Had some issues in the beginning just getting a suitable partition config: at first, it wouldn't mount, or much less install on the partition that i had set up using PartedMagic because i tried squeezing a partition for OSX without destroying a preexisting XP install, and then I was getting "Cannot find operating system" errors after install even after I deleted the XP partition (I wanted to preserve the diagnostic and recovery partitions). Once I deleted the diagnostic partition (which was the first partition) and the OSX partition was set up as the first one, everything worked a bit better.

The NVinject kext on the install didn't work, so I ended up using the beta nVidia drivers from 10.5.2. I then lost the ability to properly restart/shutdown.

WiFi and Bluetooth worked right out of the box, but unfortunately, I can't turn off Bluetooth independently. It's either both on, both off, or bluetooth on with no WiFi.

The AppleHDA kext linked to in the first post didn't work for me, but I got some other kext that works, albeit not very perfectly - sound cannot be completely muted, speakers stay on when headphones plugged on. I haven't bothered to test the microphone/line-in.

I can live with the last two, but support for power management is what's keeping me from using it more than my MacBook. Really miss the two-finger scrolling too. :censored2:

OK, so this is pretty bad.When rebooting I always had to use the DVD and specify rd=disk0s2, which I had gotten used to.Last night, rebooted for only the third or fourth time since installing, and it didn't load up.-v yielded the following: "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure" and then "Still waiting for root device" ad infinitum.So this morning I reinstalled, did the FAT32 thing before the install to fix the rd=disk0s2 thing...Not only did I still need the rd=disk0s2, but I'm getting the same FireWire-->Root Device thing on a fresh install.Any ideas?

Well im installing on a Dell Inspiron 1520 standard as i speak so i will tell you if it happens to me (i hope not) And Thanks for the Guide -_-

EDIT: Hmm installed i didn't need to use the cd to boot weird oh and by the way shouldn't you be using rd=disk1s1 to boot? Did you choose in the Darwin boot terminal yes, 1, 1, yes, yes thats what i did and works fine if you didn't try that.Hope it works for you. I've still got my fingers crossed waiting the sweet 11 Minutes haha :P

EDIT2: Well it all worked fine untill......well i couldnt find out how to do the think where i move the mouse to the corner (sorry i have never even seen a mac in my life) and i restarted my laptop and now it boots fine but when it gets past the boot screen a blue screen flashes up like in the install and then it just like turns the monitor off i tried waiting the sweet 11 minutes again but no luck anyone got any idea's??

Well I know have everything working on dell inspiron 1520 9/10 (prefer coffee:P) thanks for that brill guide :thumbsup_anim:

Glad to hear it. I wasn't even planning on writing a guide, but after the headaches I dealt with, I thought I could make some other people's lives a little easier.

Hopefully, we can get the sleep and power management issues sorted out - and make sure that the X3100 has full acceleration. I am a little fearful of the 10.5.2 update - although it should go smoothly.

On another note, I actually succeeded in making a bootable clone on an external usb drive by using a program called "DriveClone Pro." I ran it from the Windows XP partition on my hackintosh, and made an exact disk clone onto a usb drive. I could not boot up from the drive until I had physically disconnected my internal hard drive - otherwise my Acronis OS Selector kepting choosing my internal drive. Ironically enough, it was the OS X clone partition which worked fine. Windows choked while booting up :0

Any thoughts on the above cloning method would be appreciated. Thanks.

for those who have Sigmatel 9228 there is a new AppleHDA.kext for it (finally soud thru speakers).

Links to the kext are on my Dell XPS 1330 guide and Taruga's Thread of AppleHDA (1st post).

Thanks for your walkthrough.

I used it in combination with this one

http://inihilist.wordpress.com/2008/01/07/...and-fool-proof/

and macgirl's thread

to get osx leopard up and running on my vostro 1400. (8400gs) (bluetooth - webcam- intel wireless - c2d 5470 - 160gb hdd)

I installed osx after I had done a clean install of vista.

I removed the diagnostics and mediadirect partitions.

I had an extended partition with d:\ and added a primary

partition after it and made it bootable with gparted.

iatkos would not make this mountable.

So, I deleted the extended partition (it was empty anyhow)

and put the primary partition next to the initial vista one.

This worked!! and osx installed.

However not so fast!

I had used iatkos v1.0 ir2.

I could boot with dvd inserted but not without it.

So I downloaded iatkos v1.0 without the ir2 patch.

I booted this and used the darwinboot option (described in the inihilist wordpress guide)

to add darwinboot to my mac partition.

I then used easyBCD in vista to set up OSX in the windows bootlaoder

and now osx boots with that option (pressing F8 and choosing HD of course).

drivers

I didn't choose customise when I installed iatkos 1.0 ir2.

I didn't have any trouble with screen darkening etc I think that maybe because I have

dedicated graphics.

afterwards I installed the latest invidia patch taken from the link

in macgirl's thread.

I also used the audio kexts for sigmatel 9228 from her thread.

Bluetooth and webcam worked out of the box.

ethernet and wireless are no go.

The trackpad works but not the up and down scroll, I hven't tried pad

clicking cause I don't use that function.

I seem to have an american keybpoard even tho I specified UK and I don't have

a # key which is annoying.

The key \ next to shift also does nothing.

If I leave it unattended sometimes it sort of goes to sleep and

I can't wake it up or sometimes the mouse cursor disappears and the keys

don't get a response this is with the desktop still visible.

I've ordered a usb dongle for the wifi.

Despite these slight problems, I'm very happy to be able to try out

the latest mac OS and get myself some mac skills.

cheers

I am trying to get my Vostro 1400 working. I downloaded the iATKOS1.0ir2 dvd, but it fails to work.

The processes I have tried are as follows (ALL FAILING to blinking cursor):

1.) Use gparted to setup FAT32 partition

2.) Boot into DVD, use Disk Utility to erase FAT32 partition to HFS+ Journaled.

3.) Install with Bootloader box checked (Darwin x86 bootloader and EFI stuff)

4.) Boot back to gparted and set bootable flag.

FAILS.

Next attempt

1.) Boot to DVD, use Disk Utility to create partition map (ensuring MBR is selected) to HFS+ Journaled

2.) Install with just Bootloader and EFI checked

3.) Boot to gparted to set bootable flag.

FAILS.

I have tried the above in almost every combination I can think of. I do not have a windows partition setup yet and do not really care to dual boot or not. I bought this Vostro 1400 as a cheap macbook until I start my new job and can get a MBP, I am on the edge of returning it. Someone help? I am SURE someone has the answer.

Vostro 1400

X3100 GFX

2GB DDR2

No webcam or bluetooth

I got my Vostro working following your guide with the old iATKOS. Has anyone tried updating to 10.5.2 yet? Please post if you did, and if you did what method did you use?

Hey Jstad.

Glad you got your 1400 going.

How are you doing with the sound?

I have one headphone socket working.

I did get the internal speaker working once or twice with

an appleHDA.kext

It also showed the external mic input readings when I plugged a mic in,

But it always failed on reboot,

despite the odd trick that seemed to bring it back.

Let me know how far you get with the audio,

cheers.

Hey Jstad.

an appleHDA.kext

cheers.

I have no yet touched the sound since I am going to try to do 10.5.2 before I go with any modified kext's. Did the default install (the one you described) change any of them (I think the X3100 uses a modified one, no?)

Justin

Hey Jstad.

an appleHDA.kext

cheers.

I tried the kext and it did the same thing as you describe. I will look into it further this weekend when I get a chance.

I got my Vostro working following your guide with the old iATKOS. Has anyone tried updating to 10.5.2 yet? Please post if you did, and if you did what method did you use?

I updated to 10.5.2 on my Inspiron 1420 (although I have the Nvidia 8400GM). I used the method provided my MacGirl in the m1330 how-to tutorial.

Mike

WARNING: DO NOT UPDATE to 10.5.2 without modification. YOU WILL HAVE A KERNEL PANIC. I tried, just out of curiosity, and because I have a backup, and my system will no longer boot. MacGirl's method seems to be working. I will include update instructions in the original post once I have tried it successfully.

plz kristoff update this guide.

i have the following problems in dell insprion 1520

1. i have to use sleep/wake method to get the display

2. after installing codec with apple hda patcher v 1.20 for sigmatel 9205

the shutdown problem exits( manually power off, shutdown doesnt power off laptop)

intel core 2 duo 1.5 ghz

gma x3100

2 gb ram

sigmatel 9205

Anyone have luck with iatkos 10.5.1 r2 ? I keep getting the message "Error loading operating system" after install. This DVD is definitely a smoother installation, and does not black out the screen, as it has extended x3100 support. But Post-installation, I am unable to boot. Going to include this in the guide if I can get it working. Thanks.