Mac os x Leopard 10.5.1 kalway on ibm thinkpad t42

Gravedigger

55 posts in this topic

T42 machine type 2374-ct0

512MB RAM - plenty and fast enough

everything works except wireless (Intel 2200bg mini-PCI)

software: dashboard may not work, time machine needs a fix (elsewhere)

machine types with Atheros wireless chips have had better luck

look for USB solutions based on Ralink

sleep does not work, standby (close lid) only turns off backlight, HDD stays spinning

• 4 weeks later...

hi there, i'm running a t42 (2373) and have no success with installing leopard. firstly i killed all partitions on my hdd, so its unpartitioned and all free for the leopard install. then i tried a kalyway 10.5.1 dvd and a iATKOS but i doesn't bring me into the setup. i also tried with both version to load the installation with -x but no success. in verbose mode (-v) on kalyway it says last "dsmos: Starting..." and that's it. i can type characters but no recognition. On iAKTOS it says Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi componentes; use only one style" then it stopps and ich can input characters but nothing happens. it's not like a shell or so, no commands are recognized. somebody ideas what to do? OMG! Kalyway works, i just had to be a bit more patient. im now in the leopard setup...hope it works! :)

okay, installation is done (took me about 30 mins), hoping the reboot works...reboot done, i suppose i installed the wrong graphic card drivers (natit) because screen is switching after running all the commands and changing to loginwindow but i only see a black screen. i know this error from 10.4.11 setup on my t42 machine and had to fix it the same way. so i will redo the setup without choosing any specific graphic card driver. the ethernet adapter is working (could see that in verbose mode, link was up; used driver is AppleIntel8245XEthernet). ill keep you all up to date...

alright, so leopard is booting correctly, sound, ethernet and graphics are working correctly! im very happy and next i'll try to install the wireless driver, but that not this night :rolleyes:

finally i managed to get wifi working. no need for iwi2200 on google code or things like that. Since the Wireless adapter in the t42 is "ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter" you only have to do the following steps via terminal:

1. open terminal

2. browse to the folder /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

3. make a ls -ls and look for the kext "AirPortAtheros.kext"

4. browse into the folder AirPortAtheros/Contents/

5. open the file Info.plist as super user with vi --> sudo vi Info.plist

6. and add the text "<string>pci168c,1014</string> " within "IONameMatch" in the key-section "Atheros Wireless LAN PCI"

7. save and close the file --> ": x"

8. be sure to set the right permissions: "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions"

9. afterwards clean the cache: "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

and reboot.

reboot in verbose mode to see the atheros driver load and the wirless card pop up..you should see the mac adress of your wireless card.

Now you can configure it via System->Network as usual.

Have fun!

hi,

Finally, everything work on my thinkpad t42 2373-VA7. I managed to get network wifi with this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ded&start=0

wihtout any update with leopard kalyway.

my chipset is atheros 5211.

The airport is always off, but with network pref->diagnostics it is possible to have wifi even if mac display it as off.

i still have to boot with cd and press f8 to boot with cd

Hi

Which pci-id do you have on your ar5211 ?

Mine is 168c,0012 , and I can't get it working.

Could you upload the kext you are using ? Please??

//mattiL

finally i managed to get wifi working. no need for iwi2200 on google code or things like that. Since the Wireless adapter in the t42 is "ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter" you only have to do the following steps via terminal:

1. open terminal

2. browse to the folder /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

6. and add the text "<string>pci168c,1014</string> " within "IONameMatch" in the key-section "Atheros Wireless LAN PCI"

8. be sure to set the right permissions: "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions"

and reboot.

reboot in verbose mode to see the atheros driver load and the wirless card pop up..you should see the mac adress of your wireless card.

Have fun!

Excellent - worked like a charm for me aswell. Actually I'm very surprised by how well the Thinkpad T42 is supported.

Excellent - worked like a charm for me aswell. Actually I'm very surprised by how well the Thinkpad T42 is supported.

Really? you think that? Doesn't the video pretty much suck with acceleration not enabled and never going to be any faster than Vesa? Yuck!

Really? you think that? Doesn't the video pretty much suck with acceleration not enabled and never going to be any faster than Vesa? Yuck!

Dysan911 you'll see that QuartzExtreme can be supported, if you'd have had a look on the extensions of 10.4.8 you'd have seen that it works, so what sucks right now huh?

Dysan911 you'll see that QuartzExtreme can be supported, if you'd have had a look on the extensions of 10.4.8 you'd have seen that it works, so what sucks right now huh?

Ohhh.. I wasn't aware of that. :D Man, I wish we had a single source for all these cool little facts.. Instead the info were all looking for is spread over probably a thousand seperate threads and conversations..

So what exactly do I need to do with the 1.4.8 to get QE working?

Thanks!

Sorry for being so negative about it..

hi there, i'm running a t42 (2373) and have no success with installing leopard. firstly i killed all partitions on my hdd, so its unpartitioned and all free for the leopard install. then i tried a kalyway 10.5.1 dvd and a iATKOS but i doesn't bring me into the setup. i also tried with both version to load the installation with -x but no success. in verbose mode (-v) on kalyway it says last "dsmos: Starting..." and that's it. i can type characters but no recognition. On iAKTOS it says Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi componentes; use only one style" then it stopps and ich can input characters but nothing happens. it's not like a shell or so, no commands are recognized. somebody ideas what to do? OMG! Kalyway works, i just had to be a bit more patient. im now in the leopard setup...hope it works! :)

doh.t

I have the same class of thinkpad, T42 2373 (F1G) and had the same problem at first. Using Kalyway 10.5.1 SSe2 SSe3 dvd I installed fine on third try. The only thing I did differently was not to enter any -v -x or -s switches, just let it use all the defaults. Just boot from the dvd, enter to start installation & wait (a long time, about 20 or 30 mins). It seems much less annoying when you dont have to read all those messages, just look at the pretty apple logo & progress wheel. I think I wasnt waiting long enough the for it to install, it seemed to have stopped for ages. no HD light or dvd action.

I got the same error message on install, so I dont think it will stop you from running it. even now if I boot up from my Leo partition in verbose mode I get this message _it still works fine.

I havent tweaked it at all, only problems, no usb mouse & I had to disable any kind of power saving except screen saver, once it goes to sleep there is no way to wake it up :wacko: Intel Pro100MT ethernet works great, no chance with the 2200BG wireless tho.

it runs pretty fast with just the stock 500mb ram. I hadnt realised I cant back it up with ghost2003, so I dont want to mess with it too much or Ill end up reinstalling.

I just need to learn how to use oS X now, used to XP & linux :)

best of luck

Install kalway on t42 type 2373. Everything is smooth OSX says Install Sucessfull..then it restarts. Before it restarts, I took the DVD out. Laptop reboot, POST CHECK is fine...then it's just a cursor flashing on the upper right black screen.

Tried like about 5-6 time..no dime..:

Steps I took to install

1) Inserted the DVD ISO

2) Darwin booted.

3) -v

4) After a wait of like 15 mins, OSX came

5) Used Disk Util to set up the entire hard disk as mac journaled.

6) Went into to customized, selected SSE2, Vanila Kernel, Vanila_ACPI_FIX and Boot EFI_GUID.

7) After a while. OSX say installation sucessfull.

After a while it just reboot...Laptop post is fine. Ended up with a cursor flashing on the upper right blank screen,

help is very much appreciated...:)

thks in advance for your answers... :)

• 2 weeks later...

1. open terminal

and reboot.

Have fun!

I'm a newbe.. can you explain more in depth or someone explain to me what the commands are? I read this post and got lost on step #3 to #9

TIA.

My wired ethernet connection on my T42 running Kalyway 10.5.1 works fine. I am writing this post from it. My ThinkPad is a type Type 2378-R4U. The wireless adapter is an "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG".

Are there any Thinkpad T42 users out there that have gotten their Intel Wireless PRO/2200BG wireless working?

The following folks seem to have T42's with Intel 2200BG Mini PCI Wireless:

Kwaaku - T42 Type 2373 (doesn't seem to have wireless working).

The following folks have T42's with working wireless but they all seem to have the "ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter" rather than the "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG".

doh.t T42 Model 2373

Callesen T42 Model 2373

gordonmatt T42 (model unknown)

For wireless, since I have the 2200BG on my T42, it seems I will need to use the iwiDarwin approach (http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ ) rather than being able to simply make the changes to the IO80211Family.kext using the pci168c,1014 edit as those T42 users who don't have the 2200BG are able to do per Post #31.

I have installed the google code iwi 2200 kext for 10.5.1 (SVN latest) but it gives the following error upon arriving at the desktop:

"System extensions cannot be used. The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update." iwi2200.kext_extension_error_message.tiff

Reinstalling doesn't help. When I watch OS X load in verbose mode, I see the wired ethernet adapter load but the wireless adapter never loads. (I don't have a cable connected to the wired ethernet adapter when I try this). Also, I cannot start the iwi Network Selector (nsGUI) from applications even though it installs fine.

The device info for the Intel 2200BG wireless card from Windows XP is as follows (for what it's worth):

Driver Instance ID

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27118086&REV_05\\4&39A85202&0&10F0\

Hardware IDs

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27118086&REV_05\

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27118086\

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&CC_028000\

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&CC_0280\

Compatible IDs

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&REV_05\

PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_4220\

PCI\\VEN_8086&CC_028000\

PCI\\VEN_8086&CC_0280\

PCI\\VEN_8086\

PCI\\CC_028000\

PCI\\CC_0280\

Matching Device ID

pci\\ven_8086&dev_4220&subsys_27118086\

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

^

Thank you, that link will come in handy for sure.

Well, i finally got wireless to work on my T42 2373-L1U (intel 2200bg).. but it was slow and i'd lose connection randomly. the install method/steps i used was from the iwidarwin website..

I got a bit frustrated with not having a stable wifi connection and not being able to connect to encrypted networks i opt to swap my intel mini pci card for a BCM 4306 based chipset mini pci card. ebay broadband or i've also read atheros card will also work too if you do some searching for that thread.

how i got wifi to work..

-open up t42

-take out intel 2200 mini pci

-replace with broadband mini pci (BCM 4306)

-close up/put back t42

-reinstalled kaylway 10.5.1

-wifi works out of the box

now i need to get my video card to work, ati mobility radeon 7500

ical, vlc, chess, and other programs will crash/not start up.

need to find the right ktext so can enable QE, CI, open GL?

post-208225-1209087550_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was pretty impressed how well it ran on my T42 after it was all done loading, (which takes way too long compared to my Quad core rig), but it sucks that Quartz Extreme won't work on the mobile Radeon 9600...

My intel 2200 didn't work although I see drivers for it everywhere, and my USB ports didn't work either...

If I could fix the video, and get my wifi working, I would keep it on my Thinkpad forever!!!

• 1 month later...

Any help what to select/choose from the DVD ?

I don't know what chipset to choose, and basically everything else..

I get this message after installing with Kalyway dvd 10.5.2, Leo4allv3, Leo4allv4, Jas DVD .. installs fine, but then when is time to boot up this is the only thing i get..

npvhas=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

HPET enabled on your system

enabling INTEL features

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tues Feb 26 21:21:24 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 122393 free pages and 8679 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

Local APIC discovered and enabled

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components;

use only one style.

enabling SSE3 emulator...OK!

Loading security extension com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall

Loading security extension com.apple.security.seatbelt

calling mpo_policy_init for mb

Seatbelt MACF policy initalized

Security policy loaded: Seatbelt Policy (mb)

Loading security extension com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet

calling mpo_policy_init for TMSafetyNet

Security policy loaded: Safety net for Time Machien (TMSafetyNet)

Copyright © 1982, 1989, 1991, 1993

The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

• 3 weeks later...
^

Thank you, that link will come in handy for sure.

Well, i finally got wireless to work on my T42 2373-L1U (intel 2200bg).. but it was slow and i'd lose connection randomly. the install method/steps i used was from the iwidarwin website..

I got a bit frustrated with not having a stable wifi connection and not being able to connect to encrypted networks i opt to swap my intel mini pci card for a BCM 4306 based chipset mini pci card. ebay broadband or i've also read atheros card will also work too if you do some searching for that thread.

how i got wifi to work..

-open up t42

-take out intel 2200 mini pci

-replace with broadband mini pci (BCM 4306)

-close up/put back t42

-reinstalled kaylway 10.5.1

-wifi works out of the box

now i need to get my video card to work, ati mobility radeon 7500

ical, vlc, chess, and other programs will crash/not start up.

need to find the right ktext so can enable QE, CI, open GL?

I did the same as adamaves and replaced my T42's wireless card with a mini-pci wireless card with the BCM 4306 chipset. Just like his results, when I reinstalled kalyway 10.5.1, wifi works out of the box. Great signal strength and WPA2 support. The only problem is that it seems to lose its connnection to the network after sitting idle a while even when it is near the access point and and has 100% signal strength. Simply clicking on the connection icon at the top of the screen reconnects it. :D

• 2 months later...

I had difficulty getting 10.5.2 to install, so I tried Kalyway 10.5.1 with the following config:

IBM Thinkpad T42 (2373-R32), 1.7GHz, 512MB, 100GB hdd formatted as MBR, journalised.

I ran the 1802 bios hack and replaced the Intel Wifi card with a Broadcom bcm94309mp.

Then booted from Kalyway 10.5.1, selecting the SSE2 and MBR options only.

45 mins later, filled out my user info and all looks good.

The wireless worked out the box and connects to my WPA wireless network.

I then ran Software Update and updated everything except the 10.5.5 combo update.

Every boots fine, (sound, video and networking) runs fine and quickly.