11 replies to this topic

itisme25

itisme25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi All,

I have a new intel based MBP with 4 gig of ram. I am wanting to buy a really good photo manipulation software package however I have no clue what is the best one to purchase. I would love to find something that is open source if at all possible, I take a ton of pics on my travels for work and I would love to be able to get crazy with them or merge them when that would be appropriate. Any and all suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks!

jl8080

jl8080

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi itisme25, welcome to the forums.

For premium software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

For open source: The Gimp ( http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/ )

Photoshop is excellent, I use it for everything image editing-wise.

- James.

apowerr

apowerr

InsanelyMac Deity

• Retired
  • 1,875 posts
If you're going to do actual 'editing-editing' you want Photoshop. However if you're just going to adjust lighting issues and correct hues Apple's Aperture and Adobe's Lightroom will work.

itisme25

itisme25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses! I did download GIMP and I have x11 running on my MBP and everytime I go to edit a photo GIMP just shuts down and quits. Anyone have any ideas on this? I am fixing to go and see if there is some update for the x11 that I dont have. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

I will be doing "editing-editing" playing with layers adding and removing things from the image and stitching multiple photo's together to get a panaramic photo :D

itisme25

itisme25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Once I downloaded the updated X11 GIMP started working :)

Tiranofice

Tiranofice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i really would suggest photoshop, it is way deeper and complexer than any other program. If you really want the best for extreme-advanced photo editing, than go for photoshop.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
Pixelmator looks good, though I haven't used it.

privatesnuffy

privatesnuffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
all depends on your needs. If you're into super editing and need every ability ever made, photoshop is great. I use gimp mostly, can't go wrong with it (mainly cause its free and does alot of stuff)

tomazzzi

tomazzzi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
i really like aperture for quick editing

cnledmart

cnledmart

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have no idea,but I also want to know it :P

bonfilio

bonfilio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
iPhoto 09 will allow you to do just about any post/correction you could ever want. If you want to get more into composition, Gimp and Photoshop.

If you don't envision yourself doing a lot of detailed text work with your photos, just download Gimp (fossfor.us has a Leopard build) and go to town. The only thing Gimp is really lacking from PS nowadays (for photo/web use) is vector text.

el_pinjo

el_pinjo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If you want opensource/freeware I would suggest the combination RawTherapee with Gimp. RawTherapee is used to import your RAW photos and do the basic color/exposure adjustments and Gimp for the real editing.

Otherwise go for the combination Lightroom with Photoshop.
I actually like this combo the best as Lightroom is more stable than RawTherapee and Photoshop has some better features...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy