How I Got ViaRhine Network working in Leopard 10.5.1

backayard

11 posts in this topic

I got ViaRhine network ( Via Rhine II Fast Ethernet ) working in Leopard 10.5.1 and this is how I got it working.

Download ViaRhine driver from this link. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074 Open ViaRhine-rel.tar file and right click on ViaRhine.kext and open with Kext Helper b7, enter password and click Easy Install to install driver, click yes to Reboot, cross your finger...

Go to Treminal

sudo -s

Enter your password

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel ViaRhine.kext

sudo find ViaRhine.kext -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;

sudo find ViaRhine.kext -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot and cross your finger

You should now find your network in System Preferences, Network. I had to Manually Configure mine and change it back for DHCP to work.

Hope it work for you!!

Is the network connection stable on your setup?

I managed to install the viarhine driver (with the installer) but it is very unstable (connection lost every now and then...

should I be trying your install method? does it make a difference?

thx for posting

cheers fleisch

I got ViaRhine network ( Via Rhine II Fast Ethernet ) working in Leopard 10.5.1 and this is how I got it working.

Download ViaRhine driver from this link. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34074 Open ViaRhine-rel.tar file and right click on ViaRhine.kext and open with Kext Helper b7, enter password and click Easy Install to install driver, click yes to Reboot, cross your finger...

Go to Treminal

sudo -s

Enter your password

You should now find your network in System Preferences, Network. I had to Manually Configure mine and change it back for DHCP to work.

Hope it work for you!!

• 2 weeks later...

i already one this:

when i type:

this came:

chown: ViaRhine.kext : No such file or directory

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Treminal

sudo -s

Enter your password

Hope it work for you!!

Thanks it work for me perfect

Great instructions

Maayan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying for ages to get this to work with my 10.5.2 system... it's driving me mad!

I get kernel panic every time after I put the kext in and change permissions, then reboot. I'm going to try one last thing - I'm going to put the ViaRhine.kext into the IONetworkingFamily.kext plugins folder to see if that makes any difference (but I doubt it!)

Has anyone got this kext to work in 10.5.2?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been trying for ages to get this to work with my 10.5.2 system... it's driving me mad!

I get kernel panic every time after I put the kext in and change permissions, then reboot. I'm going to try one last thing - I'm going to put the ViaRhine.kext into the IONetworkingFamily.kext plugins folder to see if that makes any difference (but I doubt it!)

Has anyone got this kext to work in 10.5.2?

I got it to work on 10.5.2 (both Leo4All and Kalyway). It's been working fine for the last few weeks until last week where it keeps on loosing internet connection after about 12 hours of file downloading. I have it on DHCP and it's able to obtain IP but simply cannot ping anywhere at all until I have to reboot. I surely hope someone will come up with an updated kext. I'll probably end up buying a cheap PCI Ethernet card - doesn't seem like anyone working on the update since 2006...

• 2 months later...

i managed to install the drivers and its working, however when i surf to certain sites e.g. gmail, it crashes my router causing it to do a kernal warm restart. i'm connected to the router via lan cable.

my os version 10.5.1, speedtouch 570 adsl wireless router

• 1 year later...

Go to Treminal

sudo -s

Enter your password

Hope it work for you!!

I have VIA RHINE III and got it working with your file but when I shutdown my Hackintosh and then access to mac, network does'nt work. On the contrary, When I start windows and then restrart it to mac, network works.. What can be the reason