Does Azureus crash OS X Leopard

chewie

Leopard/Azureus troubleshooting  

32 members have voted

1. 1. First, are you running Leopard?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On Leopard, is Azureus causing system crashes?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Did enabling/disabling the 3 options mentioned in the post fix the issue?

• Sweet, it works now!
    • No dice, OS X is still crashing
    • Not applicable

28 posts in this topic

Pertaining to Azureus, a user in this thread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6135241

had an issue with Azureus causing consistant crashes in Leopard. Another user responded:

I have found that

A) disabling the IPv6 in my Airport System Preferences and

B) unticking "Prefer IPv6 addresses when both are avail" and "Enable experimental extension" in the Advanced Network Settings in Azureus takes care of the problem.

I tried it. It has been the first 24 hour period that Azureus has not crashed OS X. Who knows about Transmission, but it may be helpful for restoring the functionality of Azureus.

Also, Azureus may not yet be fully Leopard compatible, according to another forum. Let us know your results.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2

Azureus Vuze version: 3

OK, so the first torrent client I've ever downloaded was Azureus Vuze, I downloaded it just because I wanted to download an eBook torrent. I installed it, it worked fine, but it was definitely a RAM hog. Anyway, I was satisfied with it till I joined BrokenStones.cn (a major Mac torrent site). I downloaded a lot of content from it, so to increase my ratio and to support the community, I uploaded my own game torrent for a game (it was my first time actually uploading and seeding a torrent). Well I uploaded the torrent to brokenstones and that all was a breeze. Then it said to start seeding so I tried to seed it with Azureus but I couldn't and it kept throwing files around the directory and I didn't even know what they were, so I tried to remove the torrent but it wouldn't let me. Tried again and again, even restarted and it wouldn't let me remove the torrent. So I just bit it and uninstalled Azureus.

Heres where it gets interesting. So I uninstalled Azureus from Add/Remove Programs. Then I went and tried to move the content from the Azureus Downloads folder in My Documents to a different folder but it wouldn't let me. Something about being "write protected". So I tried all kinds of stuff but then out of nowhere it just deleted, I don't know what I did. So then, just to test that Azureus was well gone, I went and opened up a Torrent file and to my big surprise, Azureus popped up again. I had just uninstalled it. So then I went to Program Files and deleted the entire Azureus folder, and thats when the program went. But thats not the end of it.

So I installed uTorrent and I saved a torrent, but I couldn't find it. Then Voila I found it in the "Azureus Downloads" folder which I had trashed for good 10 minutes back. It reincarnated. Then I deleted the Azureus Downloads folder and permanently deleted it for good and it didn't come back...yet. I am happier with uTorrent because its small and doesn't use up nearly as much resources.

I don't think that this is the end of the problems I am having with Azureus. I'm almost afraid to restart my computer. But I strongly recommend any Windows users who have Azureus Vuze 3 installed to take my advice and uninstall Azureus and switch to a better client like uTorrent.

I'll post any updates it something else happens on this topic.

:D

pcwiz

I thought that Azureus used to be the best while it was still in the 2.0 versions. It got to {censored} when it went 3.0, then I also switched to uTorrent and I am happy since!

sorry to hear of your problems with vuze, ~pcwiz

but i personally think azureus is the best windows torrent client you can get! i've transferred hundreds of gigabytes with no problems at all and most at very good speeds.

My friend had Azureus 2.5 which is suppose was a good client but with Azureus 3 everything got clunky and junky, the program wasn't responsive, and when you uninstall it with the included uninstaller, it doesn't REALLY uninstall it, it just makes it look like its uninstalled. I don't think that was a mistake, they did it on purpose to keep you using Azureus.

There is no problem with Azureus when downloading, the problems start appearing when you want to seed and when you actually want to uninstall the program.

I was having a lot of Kernel Panic when using Azureus 3 on my MBP, But know I have the solution.

The Solution is to use BitTyrant (Based on Azureus 2.5) instead of azureus it's works very well on Leopard, I leave it about 28 Hours and nothing happens.

Azureus is ok, but yes uTorrent is worlds better. It has a ton of features. They all work. It is amazingly efficient, you know how broadband is 100x faster then Dial up? Well Azureus is like Dial up and uTorrent is broadband. You won't get faster dl speeds, but hey it memory and cpu footprint is literally non-existent. It is pretty easy to use too.

Azureus is a big, dumpy client. I don't know what people see in it. uTorrent is nice, but for my 64-bit fetish I stick to Arctic Torrent. It's got hardly any features and doesn't do much more than download/upload, but it's 64-bit and it's very small.

So far not a single vote that Azureus crashes Leopard, yet 3 votes for the the problem being corrected with those options, interesting. :D

you have to choose one of the last check things or the board while give you an error message, i choose "Not applicable" but i got no problems with azureus 3pointwhatsoever without this vuze {censored} on 10.5.0, no flaws at all

Or you can use a better BitTorrent client, like Transmission.

If by 'better' you mean crippled and useless, then sure. :P

Until uTorrent or something approaching that level of usability comes to OS X, Azureus is the only client that comes close.

Bittyrant is also banned on a great many trackers. be warned. [edit] The only time bittyrant actually has an advantage over the equivalent azureus build is when superseeding to a great many leechers on limited bandwidth, so unless you are uphuck or kalyway, it gives no advantage.

On any OS other than linux, azureus suffers horribly from running in java & is a nasty resource hog.

Transmission is an excellent choice on OS X, and there is always the maverick option of running uTorrent in wine for those who want to think different. (this actually uses less resources on OS X than azureus/vuze)

I too prefer Transmission for mac over Azureus. I have deleted Azureus in the past only to find my torrents were defaulting to Azureus as the default .torrent app. Well this was not Azureus' fault. My Firefox has a content preferences and it asks how to handle each type of file.

Azureus was the default so I deleted Azureus and chose Transmission as my default.

On the first download from the Bay, Transmission opened right up and downloaded my app.

I don't think Azureus is that nefarious.

my 2 cents.

Be careful of what utorrent you use:

Stay at 1.6.1 or below!

On December 7, 2006, µTorrent developer Ludvig Strigeus and BitTorrent, Inc. CEO Bram Cohen announced that BitTorrent, Inc. had acquired µTorrent.[2] BitTorrent, Inc. has employed the code as the basis of version 6.0 of the BitTorrent client which today, de facto, makes it a re-branded version of µTorrent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9CTorrent

BitTorrent, Inc. Launches the BitTorrent Entertainment Network

MGM is Latest Hollywood Studio to Join the BitTorrent Network, which Offers Thousands of Movies, TV Shows, Music and Games

http://www.bittorrent.com/about/press/bitt...ainment-network

Be careful of what utorrent you use:

Stay at 1.6.1 or below!

On December 7, 2006, µTorrent developer Ludvig Strigeus and BitTorrent, Inc. CEO Bram Cohen announced that BitTorrent, Inc. had acquired µTorrent.[2] BitTorrent, Inc. has employed the code as the basis of version 6.0 of the BitTorrent client which today, de facto, makes it a re-branded version of µTorrent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9CTorrent

BitTorrent, Inc. Launches the BitTorrent Entertainment Network

MGM is Latest Hollywood Studio to Join the BitTorrent Network, which Offers Thousands of Movies, TV Shows, Music and Games

http://www.bittorrent.com/about/press/bitt...ainment-network

Um.. so what?

The paranoia surrounding that takeover is old news and thoroughly debunked. uTorrent wouldn't be the most popular windows torrent client if there was any kind of privacy issue with it. The bittorrent community is very careful about this kind of thing, for obvious reasons :). You will even find numerous sites that won't allow the older versions, but insist on 1.7.3 & up.

[edit] Just double-checking ,there seems to be a lot of confusion as to just which versions had a bug which caused all this FUD in the first place. Most seem to agree there was an issue with 1.7.1, some say there was a problem with 1.7.2 also, but in any case it was a bug & not a corporate phone-home bust-your-ass freature.

As for vuze, install the azureus 2.5.x version, but you will have to tweak the settings to stop it updating itself automatically to 3.x and even if you select not to install the vuze part of it, it gets installed anyway.

I don't know. I remember that on my same connection I tried to get a "JaS" build with a nice seed ratio and the dl speed sucked. In uTorrent after I wanted a new copy of the 10.4.8 one I had a constant 800kbs.