Loss of Time

SomniusX

23 posts in this topic

i've search the forums with "time" "problem" and other keywords and i didn't find anything.. so

I'm having a problem with my system..

i'm dual-booting xp and leopard 10.5.0 using the bios disk selection and not any bootloader.. cause it's the best way!

i've got the current time on the xp disk plus bios but leopard goes 2 hours back.. when i change the time on leopard xp disks goes 2 hours back.. i've tried giving the correct time on leopard.. all fine.. but still xp goes 2 hours back..

i've heard from a mac-addict friend that there some kind of fix/patch/configuration for it..

I'd appreciate any help on this cause my wife is giving me a headache for it.. she uses the xp disk and i leo..

Thanx in advance

Even with automatic time service on on either on system or another.. it still changes the time..

cause in the case of leopard.. it takes the time from apple server.. and stores it.. that changes the time for the system and then windows are 2 hours back..

when you change the time by the m$ time servers it changes the time to the correct one and then leopard has it 2 hours back..

it's a matter of gmt+2 (Greece).. is there a way to tell the leopard that i'm gmt+2 and not local time? or at least something like that?

Is it something to do with the damn settings.. must i say to xp disk to stop changing time by changing the timezone or something??

Or there is a way to say to leopard that i'm at gmt+2.. but leopard goes to hours forth not back.. hm.. i'm very pissed! arg#

Those damn xp does this.. and my wife that doesn't wont me to play with her disk (heh)

this prolly has some sort of negative ramifications and is a bad idea, but what i do is: in leopard i find a time zone that whose time would be mine locally. if you're eastern time (us), you could set leopard's time zone as zurich switzerland, just be sure to turn automatic time update in leo off. i dunno how this works with iCal or anything, but for keeping time it's good for me.

also, instead of using bios disk selection to dual boot, it may be a little easier to get a file called 'tboot' and put in c:\ and modify your boot.ini to say

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=c:\tboot

[operating systems]

c:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard"

and have an entry for your xp. i saw this somewhere on this forum and it works great for multiboot with vista as default boot drive. i dunno how it would do with dual boot. but it's quick and one click!

anyways, hope this helps!

I tried this, and I can vouch that it works.

Hopefully there's an official fix for this in the near future.

this prolly has some sort of negative ramifications and is a bad idea, but what i do is: in leopard i find a time zone that whose time would be mine locally. if you're eastern time (us), you could set leopard's time zone as zurich switzerland, just be sure to turn automatic time update in leo off. i dunno how this works with iCal or anything, but for keeping time it's good for me.

also, instead of using bios disk selection to dual boot, it may be a little easier to get a file called 'tboot' and put in c:\ and modify your boot.ini to say

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=c:\tboot

[operating systems]

c:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard"

and have an entry for your xp. i saw this somewhere on this forum and it works great for multiboot with vista as default boot drive. i dunno how it would do with dual boot. but it's quick and one click!

anyways, hope this helps!

It is most definitly NOT safe, and it is also stupid and illogical. as another member once said

Emulating BIOS, on and Emulated EFI system, on a BIOS is...

Not smart

So why would you want to? Just dual boot it.

• 1 month later...

the reason OSX is showing the wrong time is that it takes the system time(bios) as GMT, and then adds/subtracts time depending on your location to calculate the local time, where as windows sees the system time as the local time

setting OSX to GMT will let windows and OS X stay in sync

if you need to keep OSX set correctly, just change the time zone in windows to offset the difference

Because mac thinks rtc in MB is GMT depends on your timezone settings (you set in your mac) increases or decreases time in OS X interface.i think you live in the area which has two hours dif from gmt.

a simple fix to this is to tell XP / VISTA to take the same policy.

Just add value to the registery

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

If you find how to then please download this reg fixtimefix.reg.zip

do it in xp /vista

Thankyou